Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 6370 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 2:56 AM
Default Fixing M&G Quarter Tile Placement
Mini Tutorial:
Fixing M&G Quarter-Tile-Placement

However it happens sometimes object clones, which bases where placeable with the quarter-tile cheat introduced with M&G, can't be placed in the same way.

HugeLunatic pointed out that this behaviour is linked to the OBJD file of an object. Since I had quite a few "broken" objects I did a little investigating.

Here is a quick way to fix the placement behavior:

Open up the file in question in SimPe.
1& 2. Select the OBJD file from the tree.



3. Select the HEX tab at the bottom of the window.
4. Select the Value in column 4 in the line marked 80
(depending on whether you chose hex or decimal numbers the value should be 01 or 1)
5. Change the value to any even number or zero. I suggest something close to the original. (Maybe someone more awesome than me could explain it...as far as I could tell it doesn't change anything in the raw tab)
6. Commit the changes and save your file.

Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Mini Tutorial_ Fixing M&G Quarter Tile Placement.rar (114.3 KB, 66 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 5:18 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 10th Feb 2011 at 5:33 AM.
Looking further at that value, it appears to be the Sale Price ( line 0x0022) line in the OBJD. Changing it either in Plugin view or Hex view applies changes to both. And oddly many of the objects had a sale price of 0x0023. At first glance your tutorial appears incorrect, but after changing the value to something else it then moves off grid. If I change it back to the original it again will not move off grid.

I think the Sale Price label is incorrect or EA changed a format somewhere. I changed the value to 0x0023 and the object will move off grid. It makes more sense that field being mislabeled since almost all of the couple dozen objects I cloned had the same value in the field. I think it may have been custom objects that had other values. I will have to dig into the game files and check more objd resources!

Nice find. So if you have more objects to fix, keep an eye on the line 0x0022 in the objd and see if the value is 0x0023 for objects that *do* move. I've attached an image of the section with line 0x0022 in it.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 2:26 PM Last edited by sensenfrau : 11th Feb 2011 at 2:49 PM. Reason: added new find
Thank you for having a look at it HL...and finding out where it ends up in the raw tab.
It was way easier to find the culprit value in the hex and I had no idea how to figure out where it ends up.

I still think that the value gets changed during the cloning process sometimes as most of the objects I had the issue with where directly cloned from game files and some clones of the same object during the same session were useable with the cheat and some were not.
Thinking about it...maybe SimPE does try to fit the saleprice value to the price of an object and when you change the price during cloning it changes the value for the saleprice as well.
Have to get some other things done right now but I'll look into that later today.


Edit: I didn't clone as many objects as I intended too but from what I saw I think it's safe to say that SimPE changes the value for the sale price along with the value you choose as a price with a fixed ratio.
Instructor
#4 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 4:45 AM
Wow, this is nice to know. Not the least because now I know I don't have to bother with the sales price, as it does not affect anything sales-related.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 12:31 PM
That's great news! I had also poked around everywhere to find out how to change that. Thankyou for the info!
Back to top