Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Modified Hair Genetics

by TheSilverLining Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 12:57 AM - Updated 21st Feb 2011 at 7:20 AM by TheSilverLining

50 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 15 Feedback Posts, 34 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Theorist
THANKS POST
#2 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 12:58 AM
What a cool idea, thanks for sharing.
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#3 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:29 AM
Nifty idea. Didn't know this part of the game was replaceable, thought we could only control hair genetics in the hair itself. Nice!

But did you mean to say "alien black" hair is recessive or dominant? Your picture shows recessive black hair. I was a bit confused by the text.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 7:17 AM
Thanks Honeywell!

CatofEvilGenius, yeah, I thought I'd have to do it one hair at the time and kind of stumbled over this by accident. Seems to work though! The file in the download is for recessive black hair (I think the file even says so). Basically each hair in the download is the opposite genetic value of in the game default. I only use the recessive brown for my alien hood though as I want the black to be dominant as it is by default. Hope that clears it up!
Test Subject
#5 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 1:12 PM
This is sure to mix up Pleasantview! Is there any way you can do this with the eye colors?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 2:14 PM
Holly1983, I haven't thought about it myself as I rarely use the default eyes and just change the genetics of my custom eyes with the Wardrobe Wrangler. But if you want I can have a look in SimPE when I have some time and see if I can do it to the default maxis eyes too. What values would you want for what colours? =)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:48 PM
Tänkte väl! Annorlundians... finurligt namn, hihi :3
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nisse
Tänkte väl! Annorlundians... finurligt namn, hihi :3

Haha, tack! =) Lite fån-rolig måste man ju få vara när det är simmar och inget seriöst skrivande man håller på med. ^__^
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 9:26 PM
great idea! does is still work with hair thats been downloaded though?
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for your response, I was thinking about just flipping the genetic values around with the eyes, making dark blue and brown recessive.

I have nothing to declare but my genius

Oscar Wilde
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:53 AM
This is so awesome!!! I'm so tired of the black and brown dominating. Maybe my sims now can have some other hair colors without having to "cheat" my way out of it...
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:52 AM
Super! I think I've been waiting for this since the game came out.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:38 AM
Cool idea TheSilverLining! :-)

Incidentally, you can change the Maxis eye genetics in a similar way to the way you've done these. I did it in my game to make brown the most dominant, dark blue the second-most dominant and light blue, green and grey the least dominant. I also use custom hazel and olive eyes, which are equally dominant as dark blue.

With eyes you have the choice of 4 genetics values, from 1 for the most dominant to 4 as the least dominant. So I have brown set to 1, dark blue/olive/hazel as 2 and green/grey/light blue as 3. It just makes more sense to me like that, and it does make quite a difference to "breeding" in my game! :-) Unfortunately I can't remember how to do it, but there is a tutorial on how to do it somewhere as I followed that to change it in my game.....
Field Researcher
#14 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:11 PM
In order to get kids with recessive hair colors in the first generation in my game, I tend to make two sims, and have them have a kid in CAS and then delete the parents. Or sometimes I don't delete the parents and just make them elders. This hack of yours certainly has the ability to make that come easier, but since my redheads have taken over, I probably shouldn't given them any more leverage than they all ready have. I wanted to compliment you on this, because I think this is pretty amazing and I can see it being very useful to people.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 5:31 PM
Jessiexxatkins, glad you like it. As far as I've been able to tell it works with custom hair if it's been "binned" with for example the Wardrobe Wrangler or another tool.

Holly1983, all right. Once I get some down-time this weekend I'll see what I can do! =)

simmer22, VerDeTerre; thanks! Glad you guys like it.

lauratje86, thanks for the tip! I figured it should be similar. I don't really need a mod like this myself cos like I said I mostly use custom eyes but I figure for Holly1983 and anyone else who's interested I'll just invert whatever values Maxis has for them. Good to know it's easily done! =)

Faerieimp, thanks, that's very sweet of you to say! Lol, I see what you mean... I tend to be a sucker for ginger sims myself so I have enough of them even without a mod, haha.
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 3:47 AM
Hey, this looks awesome! I'd like to download the recessive files for brown and black, but I have a problem. An error message popped up for the brown hair file; it says "The archive is either in unkown format or damaged". The black hair file downloaded just fine.
What can I do?!?
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 7:27 AM
raptureSIMmer94, it downloads fine for me. Did you try clearing out your cache and temp files and downloading again?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 8:01 PM
Thank you!! Ive been wanting all the hair colors to be equal for such a long time
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 8:33 AM
Glad you like it, Datblkricanboi
Scholar
THANKS POST
#20 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 10:17 PM
Attack of the gingers - I love that! Especially since in the real world they are getting fewer and fewer.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 8:12 PM
Apsalar, if I didn't have so many hoods already I'd do it myself, lol!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 6:36 AM
Eeee! I've been waiting for a download like this, thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 4:20 PM
This'll work for when you make sims have babies too, right? GAH you made my whole day, thought this wasn't possible!! <3

Now pre-mades like Don & Nina should be able to have ginger haired babies just as easily as black haired ones, right? AWESOME. ^___^
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 17th May 2011 at 12:32 PM
Hey, this is great! Thanks for making it since I had no idea on how to do it myself!

I'm interested in having the same thing with eyes, too. I'm tired of having to go through a lot of trouble to pair my green-eyed sims with each other so all of them are not just brown or blue-eyed...

For me, getting each color equally dominant would be best, but since I have no idea how to do it, I just hope you could come up with the solution x)

Hoppas att du lyckas med det
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd May 2011 at 10:16 AM
Auluna, Thanks! Glad you liked it!

NekoGirl, yes, it should work in game too. And Don & Nina should be able to have ginger babies =)

I-Am-Weasel, I had forgotten about the request for the eyes! I've been very busy with school and work but the term is almost over so I should be able to have a go at it soon =) If I do I will make it like with this one, with each modification separately so that everyone can pick if they want them all to be equal or if they want some to be dominant.
Page 1 of 3