Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 2:56 AM
Yea, but how do I get the .obj file into LithUnwrap? Do I have to get a plugin?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
You can also get the older, freeware, version of LithunWrap here:
http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

I like it because it has a 3d preview window - makes it easier to get the mapping right.

Cool, I'm going to go download one for myself! I'm very thankful for all this help :bump:
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 3:19 AM
Quote:
Once you have done this, the Large Image File section is now redundant, and can actually be deleted from the .package.

I think I need some help here....I don't really understand this part and my object textures always point to the original ones.
My texture shows up in the game but I would like to get rid of the original one in the package. Can anyone please explain this step by step?
Scholar
#29 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anarchistIOU
Yea, but how do I get the .obj file into LithUnwrap? Do I have to get a plugin?

No plug-ins needed, LithunWrap has everything included.

On the File menu - Model/Open
and File/Model/Save when finished

It can also open and save .ms3d files from MilkShape, which is the way I do it myself.
Scholar
#30 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tiggy027
I think I need some help here....I don't really understand this part and my object textures always point to the original ones.
My texture shows up in the game but I would like to get rid of the original one in the package. Can anyone please explain this step by step?

There is a very good explaination by Numenor, which is how I learned to do this:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 11:45 AM
Thank you Dr Pixel.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 7:12 PM
It didn't work. I did what you said but the mesh tool gave some kind of warning and I clicked ok, resumed to what you said and made the txtr. When I looked in the game but the txtr was all over the place. I forgot what the warning said but the tool must of fixed it on it's own and when I (import the mesh) redid it it didn't show up. Finally I get the mesh in the game but I can't get the txtr right. Just my luck. Dr. Pixel, you seem to be an expert on this, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 7:13 PM
btw, I'm using LithunWrap
Scholar
#34 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 10:48 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 11th Feb 2005 at 10:52 PM.
Well, I am putting together a tutorial on how I did this. I will post it here when I have it ready, it may help.

For now, here is basically what I did:

Made the mesh alterations in MilkShape.
Saved this as a .ms3d file
Used LithunWrap to edit the texture map
Saved from LithunWrap as a .ms3d file
Reloaded that into MilkShape - exported as .obj file
Made the texture in PSP
Then, used the mesh tool to import back into the game
In SimPE, I put the new texture in.

Then, I tried it in the game - once I found that it worked, I then followed the steps in Numenor's thread about cleaning up the .package, and adding colour options.

If the mesh importing tool shows an error, there is something wrong with the mesh. Try it again, to see what the error message is.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 12:28 AM
You rock Doc!!!

:spin: Thank You! Thank you! :spin:
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 1:45 PM
Question for Dr Pixel or Wes (or anyone else who might know the answer! )

I created a new mesh (cloned the 12th century Vase), made the new UV map, and got it all into the game working! (It took a long time to really get it just right! :smash: )
The question:
I wanted to recolor the new object. I created the recolor package with Object Workshop, applied the new textures to the exported map. When I go into the game, the recolor is being applied to the ORIGINAL (Vase) object, and NOT the new one! :confused:
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Alchemist
#37 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rosiedogsim
Question for Dr Pixel or Wes (or anyone else who might know the answer! )

The question:
I wanted to recolor the new object. I created the recolor package with Object Workshop, applied the new textures to the exported map. When I go into the game, the recolor is being applied to the ORIGINAL (Vase) object, and NOT the new one! :confused:
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

My recommendation is to look through the thread entitled "Adding color options to objects that never had one" (or close to that). Quaxi (SimPE author), Numenor and RGiles (or recolor fame) did all their work in public there. I have been pretty focussed on meshes and adding color options has escaped my own bumbling efforts.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 1:42 AM
Thanks for the reply Wes...have been checking that out. I appreciate the reply (and all you work in this endeavor!)
Scholar
#39 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 1:42 PM
This thread might be more help - it is a step-by-step on how to do it, and it is where I learned (after pestering Numenor with lots of questions)

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014

But also be aware that if you have SimPE .17c, you can not do this - there is some problem in the Object Workshop in that version.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 1:48 PM Last edited by rosiedogsim : 13th Feb 2005 at 1:53 PM.
Thanks Dr. Pixel,
I also feel that THIS thread is an excellent how-to on UV Mapping, and I've referred several people to it. I think it might be the only real step by step tutorial on the subject! You might want to consider making your info into a tutorial and formally posting it in the Tutorials forum. I know I spent a lot of time, trial and error trying to figure out what UV Mapping was all about, while trying not to bug people too much with my questions .

I agree that there is something not right in SimPE 0.17 in the Object Workshop.

On another note: I notice on your posted UV Map that you place the textures somewhat outside the lines. Do you find this works better when in general?
Scholar
#41 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 5:06 PM
I actually just did post a tutorial here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...6994#post236994

Although it is mainly concerned with using MilkShape for the actual mesh editing, it also shows about the texture-mapping. Look at the last few posts in the thread.

It's not in the Tutorials section, for some reason it says I am not allowed to post there.. :confused:

===========================

About going outside the "lines", it's first of all based on the original Maxis texture, which does go outside the lines.

But, in any case, the UV_map images generated by LithunWrap and other programs are not always 100% accurate, especialy at the rather small image sizes used for most objects. So, it's better to go a little over than to suddenly notice in the game that part of your texture was off by a tiny bit.

Think of the UV_map image as a guideline, it may be off by a pixel or two.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 5:15 PM
Thanks for the reply! I have been trying to map my original (non-Maxis) objects almost to the pixel, and I find sometimes that there's a fine white line where the map "joins". I'll give this a try.

As far as being able to post in the Tutorial section, you might want to ask Delphy, Numenor, Miche, or one of the other higher-ups how it gets done.
Mesh Maestro
#43 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 1:34 PM
I just wanted to let you know i found the "Lithunwrap" to be a great program for making textures....

Thanks again for posting it....
Test Subject
#44 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 6:41 AM
My apologies, I wasn't very clear.

When you re-do the texture mapping in your mapping program, you then save it as an .obj file when you are finished. The texture map is automatically integrated in the .obj file. It is imported with the rest of your mesh.

Thank you for helping. This is making it easier for me to make things. I like the fact that you simplified the process. I have a difficult time reading, so most of what I do is through trial and error, but I'm a quick learner. ;-P.

I also appreciate Wes' help and Miche's, you guys are soooo cool and nice.

Live today as if it's your last. Be true, be loved and be loving.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 9:24 PM
You can also get the older, freeware, version of LithunWrap here:
http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

I like it because it has a 3d preview window - makes it easier to get the mapping right.

Well, this thread is a little old now but I'm getting around to learning UVMapping and having NO success. I've tried Milkshape, UVMapper and LithunWrap.

First I complete Brianna's tutorial to create a new body mesh with corresponding clothing. Then I export an obj of the GMDC, and load it into UVMapper, move one arm down on the map, export the model. Use the mesh tool to get the obj back into the game. Now the arm has NO texture. For all the world it looks fine in all the mapper programs.

Another oddity, UVMapper always asks if coordinates should be fixed. If I leave them below the map, texture still appears normal. Of course until I try to move a block of vertices then anything I moved has no texture as I already mentioned. GRRRRRR Help!
Scholar
#46 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 12:27 AM
If this is a "bare" arm (meaning not with a sleeve on it) I don't think you can move it. Or, rather, if you do want to move it to make room for something else, a good trick is to "flip" it over horizontaly, and move it to be directly on top of the other matching arm (so it will still pick up correct areas of the skintone texture)

Don't forget, the "skintone" is NOT a part of your clothing texture, it is put on first by the game, and probably uses it's own alpha map which we don't have access to.

If it is a "sleeve" of some kind, did you remember to make changes to your clothing texture's alpha map to correspond to the new arm position?

If you have moved it into a black area of your alpha map, it's not going to be textured....
Space Pony
#47 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 8:09 AM
Hi

I have a question, although it's not about textures or UV mapping - it is about Milkshape

How do you select stuff in 3D view? I have been trying for hours to modify a mesh. I can select things in all of the other views but I can't get it to select stuff in the 3D view. I am hoping this doesn't mean it can't be done! If it does, then how do you go about precicely selecting things in the other views? Because, I am having a heck of a time doing it. As an example, I am trying to do the dress tutorial that WDS Brianna made & trying to select that dangly thing on the back but I can not seem to get Milkshape to only let me select those faces or vertexs, it always picks up other faces on the back & I can't figure out how to unselect some faces. I really wish XSI Tools would export the smd files better because I can actually use that program but it's giving bad results so I am switching to Milkshape but I am finding it very frustrating to get going because I can't select stuff :/

Sorry to rattle on.....

Morague
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 9:09 AM
Morague , you can select vertices in 3D view by pressing the select button in model tab first. Then press 'shift' & 'alt' at the same time and drag the pointer with the mouse. left- click to select. right- click to deselect. I just figure it out myself after I have used it for a few days. At this moment, I still cannot find a tutorial that describe the interface of milkshape with enough detail.
Space Pony
#49 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 11:42 AM
Thank you, Mabelline! I'll give this a try tomorrow - I have to get some sleep

Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of the keyboard shortcuts for Milkshape? I've looked through the Help file & searched tutorials but other than a few basics I haven't found anything.
Scholar
#50 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morague
Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of the keyboard shortcuts for Milkshape? I've looked through the Help file & searched tutorials but other than a few basics I haven't found anything.

There is a list here:
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-...rd+AND+Shortcut
Page 2 of 3