Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 7:30 PM
Would you rather download someones elses houses or build you own?
well i use to like downloading other peoples house but now i like building my own!

about a year ago all my house use to be just a big box XD but now im a bit more creative and i would rather build my own than download one
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 7:42 PM
I sometimes like building my own if I get a really good idea, but usually I just download more creative people's houses! xD

"I have asked the rocks, but the rocks do not recall. Even the rocks do not recall." -Samos the sage
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 8:50 PM
I do both, having a stock of cute and interesting downloaded houses can be convinent and I love it actually. Sometimes though I just wanna build my own and since I'm pretty good at it I enjoy it.
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 9:06 PM
I usually build my own houses because the peoples houses I want to download aren't up for downloading
Alchemist
#5 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 9:13 PM
I hate building with a passion. I'm grateful for all those who upload their houses, my sims would be homeless without them
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 10:10 PM
I don't like building houses, but I enjoy playing in them more if I built them my self. I've made a few nice houses that I reuse, but sometimes I'm so bad at building that all they get is one wall and some randomly placed furniture. And I still don't download any houses.
Instructor
#7 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 10:45 PM
I love building. It's fun getting inspired by floorplans, real homes I've been to, or even homes I see on like HGTV or something. And when I'm finished, I feel really accomplished because I know those lots will be used a lot.

The problem is that I'm really really lazy so a lot of my ideas never get past the idea stage. Case in point - after laying the framework for my mall, I barely touched it 'til 2 (real) years later xD

So yeah, not at all opposed to downloading. In fact, the perfect middle ground between making a lot from scratch and downloading is to download and then edit it to my liking : ) I have a lot of lots saved on my "to download" list that I don't really like, but are tagged with "potential" because with a little work I can make it they way I imagine it could be.

If there's a negative to downloading, I say it's just me being picky (and lazy). I don't like going to sites that don't show aerial shots so I can see the actual room sizes and overall floorplan.
Inventor
#8 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:21 AM
I gave up on downloading houses years ago. I don't have all expansion packs, so there were few houses I liked for the expansions I had at the time. I can't think of one house I ever downloaded that I didn't end up doing a major overhaul, and usually building it on a different lot size. Another thing is that I totally hated the way most of the houses were decorated and where the doors and stairs were placed. I wasted a lot of time looking at houses and downloading them. Just to be very disappointed with what was missing in the images of the house. A few more choices are available now that I have more expansions, but I had already started to like building my own houses before I bought more expansions.

Oddly enough, building houses was among the things I most hated about the game. So, when I started making houses, I grumbled about it and procrastinated. I think most of my first houses were horrid. I built square houses and then tried to add on to the house as my sims needed more room. And I thought getting good-looking roofs was really very trying and time-consuming. (I used cheat objects, but wasn't comfortable using the building cheats back then.) But I was just happy having a playable house without all the time wasted in the ones I downloaded, just to be just as disappointed in them as I was in the houses I built myself.

I think I must have built over 100 houses before I began to be comfortable with building. And then I began to like it and built more houses much faster. Then I began to want to challenge myself more and began using the building cheats. Now I really enjoy making houses that fit my sims and my playing style. But I admit that I would probably still dislike my houses if they were the ugly boxes I used to build. My sims get to spend their lives in fewer houses because I am not constantly moving them in and out of the houses I built to test them out. I like building houses now, so much so that I recently had to create a blank neighborhood just for building houses because my current hood and it's three subhoods are almost out of empty lots to build on.

My sims do not get to live in spectacular houses or huge mansions, so when I build those type of houses, it is just for fun. But when I am playing with my sims, it makes me proud that they are living in a house I built all by myself. And after they have earned their furniture and decorations, I am even more happy with what I build.
#9 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:23 AM
If they offer just basic shells unfurnished and i mean no windows, door anything just the framework then i could see myslef doing that. Only reason why is i have 2 gigs of hair and i really really dont need to go house crazy. Plus its hard to find nice ones on the lot sizes you normally play on. I'm not big on huge backyards so anything bigger then a 2x3 lot i never really use unless it's for certain stories like a governors mansion etc.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:48 AM
I can't build. I don't have the patience for it. I certainly don't have the eye for the small details that make a stylish or even a particularly realistic lot. But I'm also persnickety about what I download. I prefer small, furnished lots with no cc at all, although there are a few classic build items already in my Downloads folder, so they don't count.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:49 AM
i sometimes just download a house to get all the cc with it

~
Forum Resident
#12 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supaizzy
i sometimes just download a house to get all the cc with it

That's not a very good idea because a) most CC in lots (excluding MTS) is not credited for, and b) some CC files could be corrupt.

Anywho, because I can't build a house for a million dollars, I mainly download CC free lots. It's amazing to see what creators can do with limited stuff.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:25 AM
I only like to re-decorate and re-hab premade homes. I, like mangaroo, have no patience to make a house from scratch. Mine would all turn out like square boxes...boring

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Albert Einstein "What Life Means to Einstein"
Instructor
#14 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:36 AM
I build my own houses & lots. It's one of my favorite parts of the game... am in the process of doing two entire hoods right now. The only time I really download lots is if I'm pressed for time and I need a large house that's already furnished, or if I need to see an example of how to do a specific trick with building cheats.
Scholar
#15 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LoonehWannabe
That's not a very good idea because a) most CC in lots (excluding MTS) is not credited for, and b) some CC files could be corrupt.

As long as you use Clean Installer the CC should be safe.

Getting the CC is one of the things I like about downloading sims.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 2:15 AM
For both lots and sims, I might download the Sims2Pack and peek at it via Clean Installer to identify the creator of the cc, but I always want to download directly from the creator when I can. If a blush or a chair is part of a larger cc set, I probably want the whole set.
Instructor
#17 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 2:22 AM
I love building. And will do it when I can. It takes alot of patience and time, especially when it comes to doing something outside the box where you need to use that constrainFloorElevation cheat over and over. But in the end, I am really happy when I come up with something that I'm like "dayum, I wanna live there!" When it comes to downloading, I'm kinda picky I guess. I download when it's something I just don't usually do, like mansions for greek house purposes. And even then I end up downloading something and then gutting it completely and just using the shell of the house and redesigning the inside. I like redesigning alot too.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 2:27 AM
Ugh, I suck at building nice realistic houses. So I usually always just download houses.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 3:07 AM
I would rather build my own houses!

Don't be someone's...Down-time,spare-time,part-time,or sometime.
If they can't be there for you all the time,then they're not even worth your time!!!
Banned
#20 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:11 AM
I would rather download houses and then furnish the interior.
Let's just say, I can't get away from building with big squares. I tried even real estate floorplans. Still, I tend to tweak them to be big squares...
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 7:32 AM
I love building my own--and remodeling the lots that came with various EPs and SPs. Sometimes I'll build a house based on one I saw, but do things a bit differently.

One thing I like to do--put parents' room and nursery on the ground floor. Rooms for any other family members are upstairs.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 8:21 AM
I'd rather download, because I have neither skills or interest in building. Unfortunately a lot of the time the houses I'm interested in, have something wrong in them, usually being on a lot that's the wrong size, or having a foundation. So, I'll end up re-building them. without the parts that I don't like. of course if I end up mentioning these houses on my blog or on the forum, I'll link to the original house, because the idea of the house, was not mine to start with.

One thing I have been wanting to do for some time, is re-decorating an EA house. I've seen others do it, and do it well, so part of me wants to try it out.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:07 PM
My first experiment with downloading houses crashed and burned! But I'd like to have more pre-made houses that I can then tweak, because I can spend hours building a house and I want to get on with playing my families. For the most part, I prefer to build from scratch for my core families and let the others move into tract houses built by the Simulated Housing Corporation.

My problem is, I know more premade homes come with the game than I can get to appear in my lot bin. It appears that certain houses are linked to certain neighborhoods, because houses I remembered seeing when I played the Maxis neighborhoods on my laptop during the experimental phase were nowhere to be found. So I opened up Pleasantview for the first time on my desktop machine to get a look at one to copy it - and now it appears in my lots bin. But only the one I looked at!

So if I go to all the premade neighborhoods and open their houses up, will I start to get more houses in my lot bin? Or had I just managed to never notice that particular one before?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:28 PM
I build my own apartments as I like to have big families and I build apartments big enough for 8. Houses i download and change the interior as needed. I find people build these big bathrooms and waste alot of space.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
My first experiment with downloading houses crashed and burned! But I'd like to have more pre-made houses that I can then tweak, because I can spend hours building a house and I want to get on with playing my families. For the most part, I prefer to build from scratch for my core families and let the others move into tract houses built by the Simulated Housing Corporation.

My problem is, I know more premade homes come with the game than I can get to appear in my lot bin. It appears that certain houses are linked to certain neighborhoods, because houses I remembered seeing when I played the Maxis neighborhoods on my laptop during the experimental phase were nowhere to be found. So I opened up Pleasantview for the first time on my desktop machine to get a look at one to copy it - and now it appears in my lots bin. But only the one I looked at!

So if I go to all the premade neighborhoods and open their houses up, will I start to get more houses in my lot bin? Or had I just managed to never notice that particular one before?

i have gone through every hood and put in all empty houses in my housebin to use in other hoods. If there is a family in a house you want, you have to remove the family first than put the house in your house bin.
Page 1 of 9