Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated, Please Redownload - Names of the Known World: Irish Gaelic Name Replacement

by rugrat0ne Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 9:19 PM - Updated 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:02 PM by rugrat0ne : change to file

5 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 2 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 11:42 AM
Default Fabulous dddition to my game...
This will give my game a more authentic medieval tone.
Thanks, rugs, for your hard work, documentations and explanations!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 4:29 AM
Hey, I don't know if you'll see this, but...
I was wondering, if you already had an excel spreadsheet with these names on it, if you would mind uploading that. I'm really enjoying this mod, and I'd love an out-of-game list of names to choose from for new babies.
Anyway, thanks for this mod. It's a lot of fun trying to pronounce all these names!
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 3:58 PM
Love this mod, I'm irish myself and just thought id pitch in and say that generally for male last names you would place Mac or Ó (both mean son of) before the name, without changing any spelling. For females you place Ní (daughter of) and add a h )where possible after consonants) into the surname after the first letter.
For example: my english name is Emma Duggan, in Irish, Duggan is Dubhagáin so my father, John, is Seán Ó Dubhagáin and I am Emma Ní Dhubhagáin.
Ní comes from the word 'Iníon' which means daughter and 'Mac' means son. 'Ó' directly translates to 'of'.
Just thought I'd add in my two cents. im fluent in Irish and know you can never trust anything 'published' on the internet, the only way to learn the language is to spend time in a Gaeltacht!
Sources: I'm a fluent primary school teacher in a Gaelscoil.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 6:55 PM
thank you! id say rename it to say Scottish Gaelic? These names arent really Irish so much as Scottish, there is a difference!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zorom
thank you! id say rename it to say Scottish Gaelic? These names arent really Irish so much as Scottish, there is a difference!

Thanks for your input. I do know there are differences, that's why I made sure the sources I was using were from all one area (Ireland). These are not modern names, but names that were recorded during the medieval period in various books and papers. As I said in the post:

Quote:
Names were drawn from lists at the wonderful Academy of St. Gabriel site. Primarily I used the articles Dated Names found in Ó Corráin and Maguire's Irish Names , by Mari Elspeth nic Bryan, 100 Most Popular Men's Names in Early Medieval Ireland , by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn, and Index of Names in Irish Annals , by Mari neyn Bryan. I also used the guide on lenition for creating the softer feminine versions for the ladies’ last names.

The original post has links, if you're curious.

"I may be a cold-blooded jelly donut, but my timing is impeccable."