Replies: 13 (Who?), Viewed: 4726 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:15 AM
Default Sunshadow glitch?
OK, so I made a standalone variation of my LG HDTV mod, but my only problem with it so far is making the shadow mesh for it. It does work, and I scaled the models much like in EA's vanilla shadow meshes, but the problem is that I end up getting this ingame:

I also attached an .ms3d file with the shadow mesh in question.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar LGTV_stand_shadow.rar (823 Bytes, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:25 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:37 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 17th Mar 2012 at 6:14 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomsBase

Oh, gee, thanks!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 6:15 AM
The shadow now works as intended, but still it doesn't seem to be scaled well with the object, even if I followed the tutorial as verbatim as possible. IDK as to how and why did CharlieSteal manage to scale the shadows up on this:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=395200
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 3:35 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 17th Mar 2012 at 3:49 PM.
Maybe he used TSRW wich does all the scaling for you?
The tutorial explains how to create a shadow mesh.
It does not explain how to change the value's(possoffset) when a object is much larger then the original, srry...
These settings you find in the MLOD of the shadowmesh, one of the last chunkentries i believe and looks like this:

[2]: Field: 0x790EBF2C (PosOffset); Data0: 0,0000; Data1: 0,7364; Data2: -0,3008; Data3: 0,5000
Each data represents a axis
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 7:25 PM Last edited by Fresh-Prince : 17th Mar 2012 at 7:38 PM.
Can't you simply just edit the sunshadow mesh and make it larger until you get the results you want in the game? Just may have to adjust the positioning of it a few times, more so trial and era, but surely the shadow should become larger if you make it go past the 2x2 box that is generated.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 8:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh-Prince
Can't you simply just edit the sunshadow mesh and make it larger until you get the results you want in the game? Just may have to adjust the positioning of it a few times, more so trial and era, but surely the shadow should become larger if you make it go past the 2x2 box that is generated.

no, i doesn't work that way
All objects, watever size they have are positioned into the 2x2x2 box.
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 11:51 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that. I always shrink my shadows and I assumed it would work the same with making them larger.

But anyway, yes, using TSRW, you can generate a shadow from your mesh. Although a problem I ran into, actually with a lot of objects it seems, is that the tv didn't actually use the high quality shadow, but rather the low one. But still, TSRW will create a larger shadow if you need one, if you're object is larger of course:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 1:44 AM
Quote:
Maybe he used TSRW wich does all the scaling for you?
The tutorial explains how to create a shadow mesh.
It does not explain how to change the value's(possoffset) when a object is much larger then the original, srry...
These settings you find in the MLOD of the shadowmesh, one of the last chunkentries i believe and looks like this:

[2]: Field: 0x790EBF2C (PosOffset); Data0: 0,0000; Data1: 0,7364; Data2: -0,3008; Data3: 0,5000
Each data represents a axis

Mind if you elaborate on that? I'd like to do some shadow mesh stuff the hard way.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 2:26 AM
well, i dont use that methode blake but TSRW.
I once helped here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...at#startcomment
from post 29.
That is why i know were you should look.
It might be just a update on the boudingbox, just try and see if the shadow changes.
You can upload your package and i generate the shadowmesh with tsrw.
After that you can compare the data?

@ FP
No idea wat you mean by high and low shadows mixed up?
There was a bug in older versions of TSRW that didn't update the 3rd shadowmesh but that is fixed already.(from 2.028 i believe)
That bug showed a messed up shadow on all 3 detail meshes.(same link above, look at the cobra at post 20)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 2:36 AM
Quote:
well, i dont use that methode blake but TSRW.
I once helped here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...at#startcomment
from post 29.
That is why i know were you should look.
It might be just a update on the boudingbox, just try and see if the shadow changes.
You can upload your package and i generate the shadowmesh with tsrw.
After that you can compare the data?

@ FP
No idea wat you mean by high and low shadows mixed up?
There was a bug in older versions of TSRW that didn't update the 3rd shadowmesh but that is fixed already.(from 2.028 i believe)
That bug showed a messed up shadow on all 3 detail meshes.(same link above, look at the cobra at post 20)

I actually tried generating the shadow meshes on TSRW. It works fine now, but still I'd like to do it without going through Workshop and make another Sims3pack again.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:44 AM
Like i said, you prolly have to update the boundingbox
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:38 AM
Quote:
Like i said, you prolly have to update the boundingbox

By editing the values in S3PE, right?
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:51 PM
not 100% sure, but do you use the latest mesh exporter/importer?
Because i thought those would automaticly correct the boundingbox on import.(could be wrong tho..)
It is possible you need to update the other boundingboxes aswell.(from Mlod's and Model)
Or maybe only for objects that come out of Blender?