Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 1:03 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Pets, Seasons
Default Reset config folder, then all sims, houses, etc. disappeared
I was looking for a solution to the common "no snow on the ground"/"snow on ground button reverting to off"/"TV and computer screens black" problem, and in multiple places it was suggested that I cut and paste my Config folder to my desktop and restart my game, forcing the game to regenerate it. I did this, but when I restarted my game, Riverblossom Hills (my most-used neighborhood) was in the same condition as if I had just installed the game. I tried looking through my Sims 2 folders to see if there was any sign that my sims and houses had been saved, and I found the family photo of one of the families I had made, but no tangible files. So I deleted the regenerated Config file (it's still in my Recycle Bin) and re-pasted the one I had initially removed, hoping that it would place all of my data back into my game. But I restarted it again and still nothing. Is there any way I can retrieve my sims and houses, or did I just do something really, really stupid?

I have Windows Vista. I also have a bunch of custom content, but I've had it for a while, so I don't think that's the source of the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 2:29 AM
Which Config folder are you talking about? Full path?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 2:56 AM
EA Games > The Sims 2 > Config
Site Helper
#4 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 4:49 AM
Program Files? Documents? There must be something before the EA Games.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 5:00 AM Last edited by mdsnln : 7th Jun 2012 at 6:46 AM.
Sorry, Documents. I didn't realize there was more than one Config file.
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 5:50 AM
Yea there's multiple Config files. In each EP and SP under Program files /TSData/Res/ there's a config folder.

That's strange that it's doing all of this. I would of thought fixing that problem would have something to do with in-game options, and or your hack or movies folder. I could be wrong though.

Have a glance at my videos http://www.youtube.com/Starrbaby235/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 6:56 AM
That's what I would have assumed too, but the only thing I changed since the last time I launched the game was that Config file. I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll be able to retrieve all of the data I had accrued. I have a program constantly backing up my files, but apparently it backed up my Sims 2 folder after I had made the mistake of deleting the file, so there's nothing for me to restore. -_-
Site Helper
#8 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 8:30 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Jun 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Sorry for the lag. I'm going to see what happens when I remove that folder on my computer, which may tell us something about what happened to your neighborhoods.
Site Helper
#9 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 10:04 PM
After a bit more testing...

Yes, it looks like deleting the Config folder will actually reset all of your shipped neighborhoods. Deleting the Config folder is obviously a bad idea unless you have a backup of your neighborhoods.

Where did you get that advice?

I can't see any way to get them back, once they've been overwritten. This is why it's a good idea to have multiple backups of things that you care about. I'm really sorry that you've lost your neighborhood.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 10:08 PM
I was afraid it would be irreversible. I got the advice here, but I must have simply deleted the wrong one. I've contacted the staff of my back-up program to see if there's an earlier copy of my files somewhere in the database, but it doesn't look like they're interested in replying. Thanks a lot anyway, now I guess I can start rebuilding.
Site Helper
#11 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 10:37 PM
It looks like you deleted the Config folder that was suggested in the thread. Unfortunately, that thread is locked, so we can't warn people that they should backup their save game before deleting the Config folder.

I'm really sorry that you had this problem because of advise that you found at modthesims. I've asked the moderators whether we can fix the thread where you found the advice:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=478219
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 10:50 PM
It's not the end of the world. Probably my own fault for having a back-up program that instantly saves all the changes I make, immediately after I make them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 12:02 AM
Sorry to drag this out further, but I made contact with Carbonite (my back-up program). After a long conversation, I need to know where the data I had created would have been saved within my Documents > EA Games > Sims 2 folder. Where would my sims and houses I built in Riverblossom Hills be saved, were they there? I was told that my files might be retrievable if I knew that.
Site Helper
#14 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 12:30 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 1:21 AM.
Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2 > Neighborhoods > G001 and all of its subfolders (Characters, Lots, Storytelling, and Thumbnails). There are a fair number of individual files which would need to be restored (unless you can just restore a folder and all of its contents).

Also, it's important not to merge the old and new versions of the neighborhood. I have no idea how your backup software works, so you should ask them whether it's possible to restore the entire folder, rather than individual files.

Backing up manually is quite easy. Here's a FAQ:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Back_Ups
Site Helper
#15 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 2:14 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 2:57 PM.
From http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=478219. Moved here because this isn't a Site Issue.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This is most puzzling, obviously that advice was written 4 years ago, but for me deleting or editing the config file still does not impact the neighborhoods files at all.

I'm running Sims 2 with all EPs, Sps and patches on Win 7 and am having nothing bad happen to my EA played neighborhoods if I delete the config file. In fact, the only way I can forsee the game resetting those files to default is if they are deleted. Surely any corruption would just result in the files being unreadable, but to be reset to default implies that they are removed.

I'm curious as to why you and others are finding this to happen, Mootilda- perhaps you can explain exactly what you did, what your game setup is and what the creation date is on the hood files?

Are you using AGS or any other utility that might impact this?

Obviously to backup before deleting or editing files is good advice, but I'm curious as to why I can delete the config file but you cannot!
I was really surprised to find that it would consistently reset my neighborhoods.

I have all EPs and SPs except the Store Edition, patched, running on Windows XP SP2. I just started with a newly generated game for my full game and then made changes to each of the shipped neighborhoods. I have AGS installed, but it has no affect on the full game at all. My custom neighborhood was not affected.

However, I notice that you said Config file and the OP said Config folder. To reproduce the problem, I deleted the Config folder; I don't seem to have a Config file. I'm not very familiar with the files in that folder, but I noticed that one of the files contained a list of all of my neighborhoods and whether they had been "touched" by each of the EPs. The file is named userProps.xml and contains data such as the following:
Code:
  <AnyStringSet key="visitedNeighborhoodsNoNeighborhoodForEP2" type="0xad9a861e">
    <Element>G001_Neighborhood</Element>
    <Element>N001_Neighborhood</Element>
  </AnyStringSet>
Since determining that the problem could be reproduced, I haven't done any further research on this issue. Is there anything that you'd like me to try on my end?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 3:38 PM
Okay, for config file read config folder, that was what I meant! :o

To confirm, I can delete the entire config folder without affecting any of my played Maxis neighborhoods.

I'm wondering if this is something to do with AGS since that uses the Config folder too:
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...1&postcount=152
Although I don't see how.

Yes, what I'm interested in is- were the original N00x folders deleted and replaced with fresh versions, or did the game just copy files over your originals?

Does it happen if you uninstall AGS?

@mdsnln- are you using AGS?

I've tested this again and deleting the config folder has no effect whatsoever on my played Maxis hoods, so I'm wondering what's different between my setup and yours. Are either of you using the combo packs (Deluxe, Double Deluxe etc.)?
Site Helper
#17 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 3:44 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 5:19 PM. Reason: typo
It can't be the AGS. The AGS doesn't actually run when you're using your full game. I used my full game to remove any influence that the AGS might have.
I'm wondering if this is something to do with AGS since that uses the Config folder too:
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...1&postcount=152
Although I don't see how.
The Config folder is copied to each AnyGame when the AnyGame is created. That's the only effect.
Yes, what I'm interested in is- were the original N00x folders deleted and replaced with fresh versions, or did the game just copy files over your originals?
As far as I can tell, only the neighborhood package was replaced.
Does it happen if you uninstall AGS?
Sorry, I'm not willing to do that. However, I can assure you that the AGS cannot be involved in this problem.
I've tested this again and deleting the config folder has no effect whatsoever on my played Maxis hoods, so I'm wondering what's different between my setup and yours. Are either of you using the combo packs (Deluxe, Double Deluxe etc.)?
Deluxe. Everything else is single EPs and SPs. I know; I'm stumped at the moment. I'm going to let it simmer for a while, to see whether I can think of anything.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 3:50 PM
Well, it's one difference between my setup and yours, which was why I was asking about AGS.

So all of your character files and lot files in the N00x folders were still there, but the neighbourhood file itself was overwritten?
Site Helper
#19 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 3:56 PM
Yes, I understand why you're focused on the AGS. However, I've done extensive investigation of the AGS in possible preparation for a rewrite which will allow it to work with collection packs, so I can guarantee you that the AGS has zero effect on the full game.

I hadn't added any new characters or lots, so I would have to do further investigation to see what happens to newly added ones. I'm certainly willing to do some further investigation on this.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 4:02 PM
Yes, it's a curious one. I can't see why the config folder deletion should have an effect on the hoods folder, which is why I was interested.

@mdsnln- could you please let us know if you're running any of the combination packs? That's another difference between mine and your setup, Mootilda. I have the CD version of the basegame, and all EPs and SPs separate too.

I'll think about this one too, in the meantime perhaps if any readers are brave they could backup their Documents\ EA Games\ The Sims 2 folder and test for us- if you delete the Documents\ EA Games\ The Sims 2\ Config folder, can you still access your played Maxis neighbourhoods?
Site Helper
#21 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 4:41 PM.
Anyone else who tests this, please provide the following:
- Operating system?
- EPs and SPs installed. Are you using any Collection packs?
- Are your games on DVD or downloaded?
- Have you installed all of the patches?
- Are you using the AGS?
- Results of the test: were your shipped neighborhoods reset?

I did think of one other potential difference between our games. I am using Dizzy's thumbnail hack. Given how that hack works, I believe that it could explain things. However, I have no idea whether the OP has the hack; I don't think that it's common.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 4:48 PM Last edited by mdsnln : 8th Jun 2012 at 5:11 PM.
Sorry for the late reply. No, I don't have AGS. And the edition I have is the special DVD edition, just the core game on one CD.

If it helps to see what's gone and what's not, I still have photos of my families in my Storytelling folder.

Also, I'm not sure what the Character and Lot folders contain (I'm assuming sims and houses), but my numbers for their files go up to 519 and 151 respectively. Are those more than default?
Site Helper
#23 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:21 PM
mdsnln, is the list of EPs on your profile page correct? Is Seasons your latest EP?

The number of sims varies considerably with the EPs that you have installed, since each of the later EPs shipped with a stealth neighborhood which adds more sims to each of your hoods.

G001 ships with 23 lots, numbered from 3 to 60.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:24 PM
Yes, I also have two stuff packs, Family Fun Stuff and Teen Style Stuff.
Site Helper
#25 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:26 PM
OK, that means that you definitely don't have Dizzy's hack, since it only works for Apartment Life and Mansion and Garden.

Looks like I may have to buckle down and do some additional research on this. In the interim, at least people have been warned about the potential problem.

Did you have any luck getting your neighborhood back from your backup program?
Page 1 of 2