Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One Minute Ninja'd
#26 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Like Roller Coasters and Big Water Slides, for example.

Get Roller Coaster Tycoon I, II, etc. Yes, I had them. Yes, my daughter loved playing with them. Yes, they were fun. But before EA hands us a branded 6 Flags EP, I'd rather they addressed the bugs in all their EPs released to date.

My biggest pet peeve, and this comes from someone who admittedly views anything less than a 6 hour session as just a quick look-see, is that many players seem to forget that it's a GAME. It's not AutoCAD, Premiere, or 3DMax. It's not a cure for cancer. Hell, it's not really even a life simulator anymore (it sure doesn't resemble my life or the lives of anyone I know). It's a game that, despite its flaws, is still fun, for me, to play. When it's no longer fun, I'll move along to something else, and my world will not come crashing down.

I hope EA does the right thing and keep the basics of play intact in new EPs and new versions of the Sims. If they don't, I'll feel bad, but not THAT bad, and EA will likely lose a good franchise.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#27 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
It annoys me that other fandom sites don't have agree-disagree-helpful-funny-love buttons at the bottom of each post, and then I find myself going through button-pushing withdrawals. Makes me feel like a total addict.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. The Devil made me press the disagree button, honest.
Theorist
#28 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DDOAndora
[QUOTE=lisfyre]For starters, lets clear something up right now. When EA announced they were making The Sims 3, everyone in the community said, it better not be The Sims 2 rehash in terms of same things all over again because if it is, the game would be pointless.

QUOTE]

Small sticking point with me, you keep saying the whole community said that. I know that I lack the time to be a online part of the community but I wanted things from Sims 1 and 2 to be brought forward into Sims 3. I talked to other players back then who also wanted things from Sims 1 and 2. Just because the players you hang out with are more likely to agree with your world view does not mean that you and they speak for everyone.

We are a diverse group of players. We all like and think different things.

I stand corrected. Let me just say that the general consensus from active participants in many forums (which I visit daily and participate in the discussions) - official site, TSR, MTS, and all the other smaller forums/sites basically said no rehash of TS2 and quite a few were very vocal about not ever playing TS3 if that happened. So that's where I take license and say "the community as a whole". If you and your friends/acquaintances were in the minority, I apologize for lumping you in there with the rest of the "Community".

Having said that - I was not one of those that didn't want things brought over from 1 & 2. I would have liked a few things to have been brought over but as a gamer, I know that each game will be different and I treat it as such. New rules, new learning curve, etc., I never played Sims 1 so I can't speak to that but I did play Sims 2 and I want A LOT of stuff brought over from that franchise into Sims 3. So, I was not part of the "whole community" that said NO REHASH!!!

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#29 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. The Devil made me press the disagree button, honest.

Oh you horrible thing!! LOL
Mad Poster
#30 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Get Roller Coaster Tycoon I, II, etc. Yes, I had them. Yes, my daughter loved playing with them. Yes, they were fun. But before EA hands us a branded 6 Flags EP, I'd rather they addressed the bugs in all their EPs released to date.

Who said I wanted to own an Amusement Park? I'm not even asking for customizable roller coasters. I want them for other reasons outside of being a tycoon of amusement parks - I wont dig deeper past the issue and comparisons, it'd be a waste of my time.

The Only being argument being "Play Roller Coaster Tycoon" doesn't hold enough weight for me to not want a Roller Coaster in the Sims 3. You said it yourself "It doesn't my life..." Do people in our not get on Roller Coasters for amusement? Or any other Amusement Park rides for that matter?

When I want to explore Tomb, I play Tomb Raider, but that didn't stop EA from creating World Adventures. A roller Coaster (customizable or not) is not different from the Massage Chair or Electro-Dance-Sphere.

To sum it all up: Sims 1. That is all.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#31 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 12:01 AM
How people hate on the Sims 2 exchange. It's not that bad if you're looking for a lot you can't download, like lots from canon neighbourhoods, etc.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#32 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 2:06 AM
I'll admit Still one of those Players that really constantly hoping for weather and a true "OFB" EP because it added days of great game play and it wasn't truly broken. Ambitions may be the answer to "OFB" it's okay, but selling stuff in the consignment store is not the same thing as running a toy shop with your own heavily made items while selling stuff to other Sims. Another example is owning a rabbit-hole Bistro or a any cash register from any EPS is not the Same thing as having a Sim running a fully functional non-rabbit hole customized restaurant. I may be in a minority of simmers, but I like Micro managing things with my Sims. Not to say that I want a full rehash of weather and OFB but something in new and between or a main feature added where you have the option to micro manage and sell things, that's It.

My major Gripe of the Sims fandom is that Every time when I hear about CC, it's automatically bad like the plague and freak out like it's the end of the world, just look at the official forums and see what I mean. Even if Simmers try to Help you using CC magic,dbc,etc...still avoid CC like the plague. I''m talking really good one like here or even Twailan's powerful mod's.

Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
The idea that no matter how much EA charges, and how poorly they maintain the product, the customer's duty is first and foremost to express unwavering gratitude.
This sums it's up for me. it's like an attitude of rabid fans saying "Put up or shut the hell up and be happy for anything EA you ungrateful entitled bastards!" Plus, CC modders have to do the all the work by fixing EA's store Mess. I just get kinda irritated for some reason.
Eminence Grise
#33 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 2:41 AM
I'll certainly sign onto the "Simmers who think they speak for the whole community", or "Simmers who tell other simmers what they ought to like (or not like)" as pet peeves

Add to the list the cattiness, backbiting and cliquishness that are found in many corners of the community... much less here than elsewhere, thank goodness.

Also not crazy about prima donna-ish modders, who fall apart if they get anything less than worship from their users :/
One Minute Ninja'd
#34 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 2:54 AM
I'm not suggesting you can't wish for a roller coaster for TS3. I'm not even saying you shouldn't hope for some of the fun things that were in TS1 and 2. Rather, I am suggesting that EA would serve the Sims community (the buyers of the game) well if they polished and optimized TS3 as it currently stands. Personally, I'd pay the cost of an EP to upgrade the base game to a 64 bit version, which would solve memory problems that can occur even with a 64 bit OS now (won't happen, maybe for TS4, but I can wish). I would love to see new animations for things like open water, ocean, swimming. I'm not so sure I really want another object like the massage chair (meh) or even the electro-sphere. They're cute (sort of) but they don't add depth to the game. New sim to sim interactions, such as playing pool together, IMHO, do.

There's plenty of room for differing players requests to be accommodated in a game like the Sims. I just feel that, rather than hitting EA up for things like Weather, University, or even SN (which we're getting), we should be asking that they fix what we already have before offering new expansions and stuff for the game. The opinions about LP that appear here in another thread suggest that EA produced a quality world, with many of the prior world problems addressed, such as sufficient empty lots and careful attention to routing. Maybe I'll even get it (although I will feel like a sucker for buying a new EA world after my disappointments with their earlier ones). But if EA can do that for a new world, why can't they take the time to go back and fix their own EP released worlds like BP or SS?
Instructor
#35 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 3:18 AM
For myself, have to agree with some others. It's really those at the extremes that get my goat. Those for whom there can be nothing right though top the list though over those for whom there is no wrong though.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 4:04 AM
Funny. I rarely get issue when I play the game, outside of oversights and little small stupid things, like a bowl will forever sit sideways in a Sims hand. I do understand there are more "serious" issues in the game, like the game adding or removing family members, but in a game like the Sims 3, giving it's scale and design + expecting it to be perfect (the coding alone needs work), and the way EA refuses to give us simple stuff, but churn out new content...

...that's asking too much. The couldn't even gets bands and work together with a sing, for whatever reason. Either they didn't want to, or didn't try. Expecting a bug free, or a extreme bug reduction is outside of reality, because it's a big game.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 5:09 AM
  • Hype. (but that could be said of any fandom I guess, personally I think it is worse in the sims community)
  • The entitlement and impatience of a loud simmers minority. (this isn't specific)
  • Completely unrealistic demands.

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Scholar
#38 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 5:10 AM
Another thing is the unrealistic expectations. You can see it when any new EP is announced. The expectations and speculation raise the new content up so high, then as more information comes out you can watch as it goes from "greatest EP ever" to "EA screwed it up again".

I'm not referring to unexpected EP connection failures, but look at the expectations built up around Supernatural. Sims will always be sims, but the dizzy heights of conjecture builds these unrealistic beliefs around what these supernatural creatures will be like. Of course the bubbles going to burst. Nothing so irritating as planning the zombie apocalypse when your zombie rolling wishes to get a tattoo, or host a singer through simport...
Retired
retired moderator
#39 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 5:58 AM
Oh, another thing that really well, frightens me, is the politics. I can't, and don't want to, make heads or tails of the weird antics between TSR, MTS, MATY, PSMBD and many individual users. I feel a sense of terror or disgust when someone links me to another blog post filled with accusations - many of which are no doubt true - of some nastiness or other. I really don't want to get drawn in, I really can't work out who the "goodies" and "baddies" are, and I really don't care to know more specifics of why I avoid TSR, I already have my own reason - their content is crap. Whatever has gone on over the years, it's all too messy and sordid.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
#40 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 6:01 AM
People who believe they have a right to speak for me, in any capacity. My opinions are mine, just as yours are yours. Attempting to speak for anyone else, ever, is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad thing (literary reference, ho!). Also, those who are sure that "the Community" is a thing that you can know more than someone else. Unless you've done statistical analysis, I'm going to take the "most of the community said" or "many in the community feel" with a huge grain of salt.

Meh, these both apply to almost all online communities. Still.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 10:40 AM
I wish to complain about the post immediately above.
Inventor
#42 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 11:08 AM
For me the most annoying thing is how little grateful people are when other people make custom content for them (besides pay content). I think it's fully ok to complain to EA, because you actually pay for their products and of course they need to give you a reason to pick their products over other games (and they have a really overprices Internet store). But for a creator who spends his/hers sparetime making something, I think people should be a little less shallow and not expect everyone to be experts in creating. When you've spent a lot of time on a sim, a house, or anything, it feels quite discouraging to get a "this sucks" from someone. It's not a comment that will help you improve either. I've seen amateur creators turn into quite skilled creators in this site, which is why this is the only site I spend my sim time on A bit of a double morale her, but I do not like people who's so eagered to upload something that they make a quick recolor of something unecessary etc. Or want to upload each and everyone of their default pudding sims. There's a slight difference between that and actually giving something a try.

Another thing I don't like is people who can't do a quick search, and instead end up posting something that has been asked a million times. Lazyness. I think we all have the fully right to complain, but again "this sucks" rather makes you sound like a whiny brat than anything. And it wont help EA improve.. Besides this people who steals other people's work, getting private messages were people spam me for wanting me to give them feedback and in general too much hypes/big expectations for a new game. After a trillion of games I think most people have learnt that there's few EPs that really kicks all other's asses.
Test Subject
#43 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 999rozes
So here's a question... what annoys you the most in the Sims fandom?

For me...
Every person who is asking for "weather"... "pets" ... "university" to be in Sims 3.

I hate those twatscabs with a blind passion. You get what you're getting: deal with it, and if you don't like it, don't buy it! It's as simple as that!

God, those people make me want to puke.
Scholar
#44 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 11:47 AM
Not my BIGGEST peeve (or really a peeve at all) but in regards to players' expansion pack ideas, they do need to think of whether it would be profitable and feasible for EA. Like those that say they want an expansion pack revolving around zoos or owning a theme park (or any similar thing that seems more like a Tycoon game than an expansion pack for the Sims). Nothing wrong with wanting, but they'd never worked, expansions are meant to have at least something ever player would want and to keep them interested. Combined with another pack though (farming and zoos with pets, theme parks with magic 'cause I like nostalgia, etc).

I guess what really annoys me are the two extremes of EA opinions, the one party that HATES everything they do (I'm definitely not a fan of some of their directions they've been taking, but hating on a newly announced pack without even hearing more information about it is asinine.) and the other party who believe you should be thankful to spend money on the games and never complain.
Theorist
#45 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 12:09 PM
What annoys me? Is how hypocritical we all are, one minute we say and do this, the next minute we're tearing people up for doing the same.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 2:16 PM
I don't enjoy the people on the Sims 3 facebook who constantly bring up wanting a "Sims 3 Online." There are so many things wrong with that idea, it's not even funny. And of course, we have SimPort now. I want my single-player, fun-on-my-own Sims, not this online stuff! If I wanted that, I'd go play a social MMO. No thanks.
Inventor
#47 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misanthrope
Who are these people that you're speaking of?

I've also noticed that any time someone voices their content about the game, the angry mob turns on them like a pack of wolves.

Its when EA does that themselves to avoid programing a problematic part of the story that it gets annoying. Ea could easily monitor these forums and try to stop something they dont want started with fan peer pressure. I am not throwing any accusations out there by the way, because rabid fans are easy to head off in another direction with a store freebie, I know I fall for it every time *grin*.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 4:28 PM
I have to agree with what most people have said. But one of my biggest annoyances is that people keep anticipating Sims 4 as though it is the answer to everything Sims 3 is not. Yes, Sims 3 is not perfect and EA isn't the best company to be producing quality games. So why do sim fans believe if EA produces this mystical Sims 4 it will be this awesome game? It's really irriating.

We have the Sims 3 here and now. Why can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Granted not all of us has every EP or SP. I personally don't have SHT and most of the SPs and some people just recently bought the base game. But of what I do have I enjoy. I have had to learn more about my computer than I ever wanted to simply because I wanted to make sure that it could handle the game with EPs and run it well. And it is a lot of fun to play despite bugs, crappy Story Progression, etc. We have excellent modders to fix a lot of those issues, anyway.

So, IMHO if we are unable to enjoy Sims 3 which we have in our grasp, then I doubt we will be able to enjoy Sims 4 (if it is ever made). There will alway be something EA gets wrong. I mean, they aren't the most hated company for no reason.
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 5:10 PM
Oh let them speculate, dream and anticipate Sims 4! I agree with you that it will never live up to expectations as none of these games do, but why not just ignore them if it bothers you? I have been guilty of letting wild speculation injure my pragmatist pride, but really, it is a waste of time. Some people enjoy the speculating. If they enjoy it, I can let them enjoy it.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 6:33 PM
It's not speculation that bothers me. By all means, speculate to your hearts content. What is annoying is every time it is mentioned, some issue with Sims 3 or what it lacks, etc. there is always a comment of hope that with Sims 4 that won't be the case, as though Sims 4 will be the perfect Sims incarnation. And its not once in a while. It's all the time. It's not something that can be ignored. And its annoying, not that I care too much about it but this thread is a place to vent and so there you have it.
Page 2 of 2