Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 3169 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 5:52 PM
Default Weird drop shadow
So I know this is not a sun shadow, because it rotates along with my object. The weird thing is, this object doesn't have a drop shadow plane in Milkshape so I have no idea where this is coming from.
I'll attach a pic of my object (a smaller version of one of the retaining walls) and its weird shadow below. Other info: I re-UV-mapped the whole thing, created the low-poly sun shadow meshes in Blender as per the tutorial that's available, and updated the footprint and bounding boxes. All this works wonderfully, so I'm out of clues... Anyone?
Screenshots

Such CAS. Much tactile.

my blog
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 8:42 PM
Hi, in order to get a clearer idea of what the grey smudges are, please could you take 4 screenshots, each of them with the object turned 90 degrees, and at the same time of day (ie don't let any sim hours elapse between screenshots). Keep the camera in the same place, just rotate the object.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:19 PM
Here you are
In the meantime, I'll try and see if I have the same thing when I clone a different object to import my new mesh into... Is there a particular non-recolourable 2-group CAW object that is good for cloning?
Screenshots

Such CAS. Much tactile.

my blog
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:29 PM
Blender will only create a shadowmesh, after that you need to change its posoffset in its Mlods so it matches the detail lods.
Only TSRW can calculate the posoffset atm.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:36 PM Last edited by Simsimillian : 31st Jul 2012 at 9:48 PM.
Oh... That's disappointing! Better see if I can get this thing loaded in TSRW then :/

Thanks for the quick reply you guys

Such CAS. Much tactile.

my blog
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:14 PM
Meh, TSRW won't even load it... Says it's not supported, probably because it's a CAW item. Weird though, I really thought there were a lot of object creators out there who never used TSRW?

Such CAS. Much tactile.

my blog
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:40 PM
clone a rug with tsrw.
when viewing the rug in 3d go to project contents(menu)
delete all the files by right clicking them
When all are deleted choose import from package and import your file
go to the meshtab and select the sunshadow
on the right there is a generate button, use one of the deatil meshes to generate the sunshadow
repeat if there is more then one shadow mesh
go back to project contents and choose export as package

This will fix the offset, you can reimport the shadow meshes from Blender to overwrite the generated ones.
Dont forget to compress the files in s3pe(if necesarry)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:42 PM
That cannot be sunshadow - assuming you did exactly as I asked and keep the camera still. Having 4 images all showing the same size and that crossroads might have been more orienting and contextful, but no matter. This is either dropshadow or something else. Do you have the latest S3PE and s3asc helpers?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:46 PM
File doesn't have a dropshadow, i think its sunshadow
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:54 PM
Yeah I think it's a sun shadow too now, since I went and tried to make the sadow mesh in blender and then skip the directMeshTool step; this changed it a bit (not much though) so it must have something to do with that. I think the reason it stays the same size is that I took the pics in CAW? Anyway I'll try what BloomsBase said, but atm I can't even get TRSW to work... something about object reference not set to an instance of an object? It says that on opening and then keeps saying it at everything I try to do :/

Such CAS. Much tactile.

my blog