Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 4941 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 10:25 PM
Default Deleting sims' files
I'm deleting a bunch of sims in Pescado's way ( click )...
I have to delete the files of those sims, but I'm not sure about what are they. For example, I'm deleting Martina Alberghini (Cassandra Goth in the italian version of the game, but this doesn't matter). I have two files about the sim: the file named Martina Alberghini, which contains the informations about career, relationships, personality et cetera... and a file named Martina Alberghini (scores); this second file contains informations about business badges, "learned behaviors" and best friends forever.

I have to delete only the file << Martina Alberghini >> or both files? I don't want to mess up another hood.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 10:35 PM
What does Theo's SimPE plugin do? If it deletes the Scores, then I would guess that's the right thing to do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 10:46 PM
Where can I find Theo's plugin for SimPE?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanalian
I don't want to mess up another hood.

You did a backup of the neighborhood before you started, right? That way, if you mess up, at least you can reset to how it was before you deleted the sim.
Site Helper
#5 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 11:12 PM
Quote:
Where can I find Theo's plugin for SimPE?
You want the Action Delete Sim plugin:
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index....60709#msg160709
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 12:36 PM Last edited by Nyanalian : 17th Jan 2013 at 1:50 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
You did a backup of the neighborhood before you started, right? That way, if you mess up, at least you can reset to how it was before you deleted the sim.

Yes, I did.
I have some problems installing the deleter plug in... it doesn't show up in SimPE. I put the .dll file in the Plugins Folder, I clicked the "build" script... but I can't find the tool in SimPE.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 3:45 PM
I had problems getting it to show up too, I'm pretty sure it had unzipped into a subfolder in the Plugins folder and I had to move it out.
Site Helper
#8 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 17th Jan 2013 at 5:44 PM.
Here's how I've used it:

- Put the DLL into the SimPE Plugins subfolder.
- Run the game. Use the batbox to prepare your sims to be deleted. Save and exit the game.
- Open your neighborhood in SimPE and select the SimDescription(s) for the Sim(s) that you want to delete.
- On the extreme right hand side of the SimPE window, click on "Resource Actions". The text is sideways right against the edge of the window. If you can't see that, try resetting the SimPE layout.
- At the very bottom of the Resource Actions area under Plugin, you'll see "Delete Sim (by Theo)". You may have to expand the Plugin area before it becomes visible.

My guess is that it's both safe and necessary to clear out the sim scores. If Theo's plugin does this then we have some confirmation. Unfortunately, removing the sim scores just for the deleted sim is likely not enough, you probably have to remove the deleted sim from all of the other sim's scores as well. Let's hope that the batbox does this.

Quote:
I clicked the "build" script.
What's the build script? You shouldn't have to rebuild SimPE to add a plugin.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 6:21 PM
The "build" script was a file that I found in Theo's plugin folder.
Thank you, you dispelled every doubt I had ^^
Site Helper
#10 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 7:45 PM
You shouldn't need to rebuild the plugin either. Theo just included the source code in case someone wanted to do more development on it in the future.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 5:03 PM
I have another problem, and since I don't think it is necessary to create another topic, I write in this one.
I deleted some sims from a sub-hood, but I don't know where to find their character files... the character files arrive to N001_User00170, but the files of characters I deleted had a higher number, like N001_User00430.
Site Helper
#12 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 5:43 PM
Character files for subhoods are stored in the Characters folder, along with all of the characters from the primary neighborhood. Are you sure that you have the correct file names? The number used in the file name is different than the Sim Description instance number which you've been using in SimPE.

If you used Theo's plugin, I seem to remember that it deletes the files for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 6:03 PM
I hope it does...
Site Helper
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2013 at 7:01 AM
Do you want me to check that for you? Too late today, but I could run some tests tomorrow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2013 at 1:48 PM Last edited by Nyanalian : 22nd Jan 2013 at 7:37 PM.
Thank you, this will help me a lot ^^

[EDIT]

Ehm... well... I found the right folder where the characters files are: in Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods/N001.
The first time I deleted sims with Theo's procedure, I deleted the files from The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Userdata/N001. Now I'm a little confused... What have I deleted the first time?
Test Subject
DELETED POST
Original Poster
22nd Jan 2013 at 7:36 PM
This message has been deleted by Nyanalian.
Site Helper
#16 Old 23rd Jan 2013 at 6:45 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 23rd Jan 2013 at 7:33 PM.
Oops. You deleted sims from the neighborhood template, not your actual neighborhood.

The neighborhood template is found in Program Files (or wherever you installed the game), while your save game is stored in Documents. The hood template is used to regenerate the shipped neighborhood whenever your game is reset, either by deleting the Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods folder, or either of the parent folders ("Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2" or "Documents\EA Games").

So, you've basically made those changes permanent; every time that you reset your game from now on, you'll get those changes. If you want to restore your templates to their original state, you'll have to get the N001 folder off of your base game CD or DVD.

Modifying your neighborhood templates isn't a problem, as long as you make the changes correctly and you actually want the changes to occur in every game from now on. In fact, many people replace their neighborhood templates with clean and fixed, or possibly empty and fixed versions, before they ever run the game. That's because the shipped neighborhoods come pre-corrupted and it makes a lot of sense to start with versions of the hoods which have had known problems fixed. Here's an example of some of the things which need to be fixed:
http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/29134.html

Tarlia has the best clean and fixed versions of the shipped neighborhoods:
http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

[Update:] I confirmed that Theo's plugin deletes both the Sim Scores and the sim's Character file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jan 2013 at 7:55 PM
Thank you for the complete answer and for the confirmation about Theo's plugin! ^^
I already use meet2theriver's template, because I readed everywhere about uberhoods and I wanted to check out what they were. I discovered also about pre-made hoods' corruption and issues with deads' faces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 1:44 PM
I think there's no need to create a new topic, so...
I created a new hood after I emptied some stealth hoods' templates, but I didn't empty BV's, FT's and AL's templates. Is it safe to delete tourists, social group townies and hobby instructors? Because in Pescado's tutorial about how to delete sims, there's written <<Do not use on any sims with relatives, businesses or any other special value>>... but I don't know what are those "special values".
Site Helper
#19 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 5:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that tourists and social group townies are both just normal sims who can be removed without any problem. I'm not sure about the hobby instructors, though. Perhaps someone else will know.