Replies: 14 (Who?), Viewed: 2222 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 5:15 PM
Default I want to create a mod to disable/remove the sound from the sprinklers
Hi!

I'm new to modding Sims 3, although I modded quite a few things back with Sims 2, hobby programmer as I am.

The sprinkler sound is driving me crazy. I have to have them on or else the garden dies, but it is not a real option to turn off all sound effects due to this since it seriously disrupts the game experience to completely mute all sound effects.

Do you guys know where I can start if I want to mod sounds? I didn't find anything about sound when looking through the lists of possible tools, plugins, programs and tutorials, and I've googled endlessly for different sound disabling methods, all I've been able to find is that other people have the same issue but no solution.

If you lead me down the right path I could do something useful for the community

/Linnea

The minds power over itself is great, what you make of things is what they become, change your thought and you change the world as you percieve it...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 11:37 PM
The Sprinkler sound files are in the FullBuild1 file in your Sims3 installation in GameData\Shared\Packages folder. Open the Fullbuild1 in S3PE and sort it by Name and Tag, by clicking on those two words at the top of the columns.

Scroll down to the AUDT files and in there are several called Sprinkler. It's probably the three called "playa" and "start" and "stop" that you want, but I can't say this for sure. You have to try one in game, and find out which sound it removes, through experimentation.

Copy and paste these AUDT's into a new .package, which will be your mod file; keep all the default numbers and name in that little Details box that pops up. Mark one of them and you can read through the data in the right side viewing pane, and when you don't understand what this stuff means, don't worry about it, as this is irrelevant in this case here.

All you need to do to mod these is hit the Grid button at the bottom of s3pe. In the new window, click on the button to the right and you see 4 or 5 or however many blocks of data; delete these outright, all of them, and hit the Commit button. The AUDT is now empty, which will not allow it to call forth the sounds when you use it as a mod.

The AUDT functions as a playlist or controller (there is a better name for this but I don't have it in my brain right now), calling forth the actual sounds themselves, so when you empty it, it won't play the data but play nothing instead.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#3 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 3:07 AM
Another way would be to copy the CLIP files(Fullbuild0) that the sprinkler uses into a new package and just delete the sound events that call the the sprinkler sounds. Same result.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 11:34 AM
Thank you so much for your answers! I will try this when I get the time ^_^

The minds power over itself is great, what you make of things is what they become, change your thought and you change the world as you percieve it...
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
Original Poster
19th Apr 2013 at 10:42 PM
This message has been deleted by perdita_x_dream.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 10:46 PM
"click on the button to the right" in the new windows that pops up if I press the Grid-button, would that be a small square button with dot's on it in the upper right corner?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 10:48 PM
Okay, trying it now ^_^

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 11:47 AM
It's not working. I have tried a number of both AUDT and _AUD-files, and the CLIP-ones.

Does it matter if I put it in the Overrides or Packages folder in Mods?

And I can't see any data in the right pane window, I can only press the KEY-file listed and press Grid and remove stuff from the list that pops up if I click that little square buttom with dots on I mentioned... Is there some plugin missing in my SimPE or some function I should activate?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 12:08 PM
cmomoney - how do I delete just the sound event in the Clip-file? I can only delete all data, kind of...

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 12:45 PM
Could the fact that I have the "No Autonomous Play with Sprinkler"-mod be causing the "Serious error"-messages I get sometimes when I try the mods? Maybe I should just move that out of the packages-folder and see if they work.

I should list the files I've tried so far, but all I've gotten anyways is that either the game works and the sprinklers sound fine, or I get an error message not allowing me to even se the family house

Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 2:18 PM
The AUDTs can be read fine by S3PE without any extra wrappers. The CLIPs I think actually need one of the extra wrappers which can be found in the main thread where you download the current stable s3pe. At the bottom in the top message is the link to extra wrappers, the Atavera link.

When you have your AUDTs in a separate .package and mark one of them, you do not see this, with the data in the right viewing pane?

Mark each of these Data Blocks and Delete them, use OK and then Commit in the DataGrid box behind. This should give the result shown below where the AUDT has been wiped clean, the data is gone so it will not call forth the _AUD sounds which it normally would. This should work fine in Mods\Packages; it works for me every time.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 7:40 PM
Thank you for the images. I could only see the right window code when clicking the _KEY-file, not the AUDT-files. But I am installing .NET 4 now, maybe not installing that was/is the problem

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 7:45 PM
I installed .NET 4 and these s3pi-wrappers: https://code.google.com/p/s3pi-wrappers/ , now I could Grid-edit the AUDT-files... Thanks again! I'll keep trying until I get it right... <3

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 10:04 PM
I made it work!

I've been having trouble with my testing family, they had sprinklers already going, which made everything bug out. But I tested with a new clean family and without the error I managed to see that the AUDT-file-mod worked. So I went to my original family, put their sprinklers in the family inventory, saved, quit and restarted. That alone didn't help, I had to reboot my computer and delete the scripts cache, but now I actually got my real Legacy family to have silent sprinklers

I'm gonna test it together with the No autonomous sprinkler-play mod now, I'm crossing my fingers here...

Thanks so much for your help! ^_^

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 10:47 PM
Many thanks to you guys for giving me the energy to do this ^_^ Here is the finished mod:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=501560

<3

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#15 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 12:58 AM
Congratulations.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]