Replies: 77 (Who?), Viewed: 7464 times.
Page 1 of 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 2:51 PM
Default Lot downloads - what do you prefer?
Hello,

Just a quick question!

When downloading a lot, do you prefer it to be empty or furnished? To have some CC or none at all?

I like downloading furnished houses to see how others would use the space :D
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:15 PM
Empty! I hate downloading a furnished lot because I want to decorate it to my Sims' own individual tastes.

I can see the other side, though. Some people prefer to actually play the game rather than spend all their time decorating.. whoops.

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:21 PM
I mostly download starter homes, so if I can get a starter home that's less than 20,000 simoleons that's furnished, then I'll download it because that's perfect for my sims.

I have a simblr now! Check it out: simblr
Had a long day and need a laugh? Check this out for funny sims stuff!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:33 PM
If it's furnished I usually download it but will re-decorate it. I love starter homes like that too - they're great! I'm working on my own to upload
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:39 PM
I don't download them often, but I want no CC and no furnishing except lights, plumbing, and maybe kitchen counters and appliances, just like you'd buy or rent a house normally. My houses are decorated by my sims, in ways that characterize them, and I don't want to mess with other people's CC.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#6 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:47 PM
I like to have them minimally furnished... just enough to tell whether things fit into the house well and whether there's enough space to avoid routing issues. I'm happy to use the existing furnishings, at least initially, unless I really can't stand the style or color.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:02 PM
Ideally, I like them the way I've uploaded the lots I have on here, which is exactly how Peni likes them: Like as if it was a real house up for sale on the real-life real estate market. So, the exterior should be completely finished (but not necessarily fully/maturely landscaped). Wall/floor coverings, plumbing, basic wired-in lighting, fireplaces if any, and kitchen countertops and large appliances should be in place. That's it.

That said, I WILL occasionally download fully furnished/decorated lots if I like the house's basic layout. I DO like getting ideas from how other people furnish/decorate, as interior decoration is not a strength of mine, and I often don't mind picking up nice pieces of CC that I wouldn't have found otherwise from furnished/decorated lots. However, before I actually play the lot in question, I rip out every bit of furniture and decoration that it comes with. My Sims have to work for all that stuff. They don't just get it handed to them. The only exception is the array of plasticbox's starter houses that I have. I keep all the stuff in those because it's all very basic (and all Maxis) and using them is a "shortcut" for me when I'm just starting out a neighborhood and just don't feel like building basic houses for everyone myself.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Apr 2013 at 11:09 PM.
I rarely download lots, but when I do, I've got a few important criteria:
- large areas, but not overly large (it ain't worth it if I can't even get in the ingame camera sideways without having to use the zoom buttons, so no tiny lots for me)
- preferably as little CC as possible, unless I've got a spesific purpose for the lot, or don't want to build it myself (schools or some such)
- If it is furnitured I prefer a simple look, as I usully go over the lot after installing it. Too much clutter = too much work. I prefer if it has mainly maxis stuff, as that keeps down the size of my Downloads folder.
- I prefer residential lots, and sometimes download community lots (which I usually change to residential), but I tend to stay away from beach lots and apartments.
- It has to look good. If I can do it better, I'm more likely to make the lot myself.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:35 PM
Personally I think the ideal would be to make the unfurnished house available, but include a furnished floor plan among the attached pictures, for inspiration and to give the downloader a good sense of its proportions.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:46 PM
I like the idea of minimal furnishing as if you were renting.

You could possibly upload two versions - the empty shell and then a furnished version - to give those downloading a choice.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 5:30 PM
I like having fixtures around, but it honestly all depends on what I'm going for. Am I filming? Do I just need background lots? What sort of theming am I going for here?

I also have a huge love of building and often will just fill up neighbourhoods with lots I've built myself.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 5:48 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 26th Apr 2013 at 7:06 PM.
I am a little torn on this. I have downloaded a lot of lots for my new hood because I don't have the time/energy to build all of it myself, but I am starting to get wary of other peoples mistakes and wondering if it really is a good idea, trusting that whomever created this lot did so safely. For example, one lot I downloaded here on MTS had a dirty plate sitting on the outside table, and that is kind of scary to me because god knows what else may be left behind aside from a plate. In the future I think I might dump lots in a lot hood, take screenshots, and rebuild myself in a clean hood just to be sure I don't bring someone else's mistakes into my hood.

That said, I do like getting inspiration from other people and having the benefit of styles of house I would not make myself. There are some crazy talented people out there that make really pretty lots and it's great to have "access" to their talent. If I download, I go fully furnished, because if I wanted to do it myself I would do it from scratch. I may change the furnishing, but I like not having to for the lot to work. That said, I would not skip a house that is pretty just because it is not fully furnished. If the exterior is special enough, I would not care.

I have a rather strict no CC-rule. I have my own CC, and I fill up my downloads folder enough as it is, I don't need other people telling me what I should have. I would make an exception if it is something that I have missed that is very universal and would get used a lot, but in most cases that's not how it is. I think it's important as a lot creator to think about those things, and if you do use CC, make it optional to the extent that you can.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 6:58 PM
The only ones I ever get are ones with unique features (meaning, I don't know how to DO that!) curved roofs, magic stairs (yea, I've found tutorials, but they are too complicated for me to want to do). I have more than enough CC, and am afraid I might get conflicting stuff (especially stuff that just "backpacked" over), so "no" on the CC, AND on any furniture. I do like well-done landscaping (it's so time-consuming), but I find that often means lots of attractive but non-usable hills.

Namaste... or "go"
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 7:30 PM
No CC; I have quite enough of my own choice stuffing my downloads folder.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 8:12 PM
I prefer furnished with no CC.

No CC because I love seeing what people do using Maxis-only content.

Furnished because I spend too much time dithering over decorating and I prefer to play these days. Plus, I tend to gravitate toward the same style and objects when I decorate, and having more variety, including stuff I wouldn't choose for myself, feels more realistic when I'm playing different families. I do enjoy decorating an unfurnished lot from scratch occasionally, though it usually takes me hours.
Constant Contestant
staff: moderator
#16 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 8:21 PM
This is an interesting thread, especially as I am a lot creator at MTS. I have uploaded CC loaded houses and a few CC free houses but I find the largest lots are my most successful. I have also tried uploading furnished and unfurnished versions (just containing build items). But as you can see the furnished ones seem to be preferred.
Morriston Cottage furnished 413, unfurnished 197
Summer Cottage furnished 821, unfurnished 237

All my lots are cleaned with the Clean Installer before being uploaded as per the rules of this site. Most of them are play tested but I upload a clean lot.

Maybe I will try and create some more CC free lots, but CC is so pretty and Maxis is so ugly. Also downloaders can always remove the CC in Clean Installer before installing.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 8:30 PM
Most times I go for the utilities only lots so I know the basic layout of the house. I have way too much CC to bother installing more and I prefer to decorate in my own style. The only time I'll download a fully furnished lot is because I'm feeling too lazy to decorate the house and need one immediately for story purposes.

My LJ / My Simblr
Formerly known as ShadowsMystery
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 8:56 PM
CC that others choose and apply to buildings can be very interesting. OTOH, I hate it when things sneak into my folder that I didn't realize were going to affect the entire game! I've had that happen with lot downloads.

I don't like a highly decorated property, as a rule. The exception is when there is something very thematic like a haunted house or one from the Victorian era. I like houses to come with bathrooms, counters, and toilets, the way they would in real life. The occasional odd object in the attic is fine, but I sure don't like having to spend a lot of time deleting curtains and paintings. My Sims pack their own goods.

Almost without exception, I've had to delete the fencing and pathway lining that people insist putting around every home's borders and walkways. I like to imagine my homes in neighborhoods where they haven't put up their fences yet and where things aren't so neatly boxed in and groomed. I like a more natural look.

I wish more houses came on larger lots.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 9:03 PM
I used to download any old lot but now I prefer them to be empty so I can customise them to fit my sims. The only exception is apartments, which I prefer to be furnished so my townie tenants don't get miserable.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 11:12 PM
As a lot uuploader to this site this site I find this thread very interesting. I mostly upload fully furnished cc free residential lots and community lots with some cc. Reason being cleaning cc out of residential lots is hard. Unless there is a trick I don't know about I always get files like gh6n92ngy73jghf coming along and how am I supposed to know if that's the cc I wanted to include or not. So if I build it cc free all I have to do is dump all piggybackers which is easy.

I've never even thought of uploading a lot without furnishings and decorations as I didn't think people wanted those! It has to have walls and carpet per site rules and I figured if people wanted a different table it doesn't take much to click delete, while people who don't want to decorate don't have to if I have done it for them. Maybe I should start adding in none furnished lots as well.

Karen, that's interesting with the download numbers and reflects what I thought the 'market' wanted. Do you have cc free residential to compare them to? My residential are all furnished and all cc free so I can't compare. With download numbers my main ones come from my community lots but again I don't think I can compare them to residential. The water park is by far (as in 3/4 of my download count) my lot downloaded the most, which kind of surprised me as I thought the size would put people off. Also how do you go about finding the cc you want to include and finding all those files that are not supposed to be in there. If all I want is a curtain recolour to show up I can't even tell among all the junk that comes into my file. I tried recently dumping out everything I could tell and was still left looking at about 15 files of gobdegook. I couldn't tell what my curtain was even looking in SimPE so I gave up.

grammapat, we are not allowed to have piggybacked files in lots on here.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
staff: moderator
#21 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Karen, that's interesting with the download numbers and reflects what I thought the 'market' wanted. Do you have cc free residential to compare them to? My residential are all furnished and all cc free so I can't compare.

I have 2 CC free residential lots but they are my first uploads so not very good.
Rose Cottage 188
The Clarice 621

With the recolours I quite often compare the codes in the upload wizard. But it can get quite confusing.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 12:06 AM
I rarely download lots- the ones that I do have are actually community lots that I didn't want to take the time to build. Ex: a city hall, a gas station, a hospital. So I prefer they be furnished, but no cc to them.

If I were to downloaded houses (as of now I have none), I would prefer they be either empty or minimally furnished, with no cc.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 12:09 AM
I wish that houses had bigger backyards. My sim kids want room to play! Most houses take up most, if not all, of the available building space and leave no room for trees, landscaping, and the likenesses.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#24 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSympathies
I wish that houses had bigger backyards. My sim kids want room to play! Most houses take up most, if not all, of the available building space and leave no room for trees, landscaping, and the likenesses.

That's when you go "Mootilda, to the rescue!" and bring out the lot adjustor. One of the best tools available for Sims, if you ask me.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 12:44 AM
I don't really download lots unless I am feeling really lazy, and even then, it has to fit my 'no M&G' requirements. Which is impeccably hard, these days.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Page 1 of 4