Replies: 12 (Who?), Viewed: 1441 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2013 at 2:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Neighborhood crash, corrupted lot
Ok so I changed a lot zoning to residential on an apartment lot with sim families already there. When it went back to the neighborhood the families disappeared when I clicked on the lot. Then I went out of the game and tried to change the lot back to apartmentsublot in SimPe, but it would come up with an error. Now when I load the game up it crashes at the 'Makin a bit of magic' when its loading.
Is there anyway that I can somehow delete the lot in SimPe, and save the families that live on that lot? Or have a really messed up =/ and I KNOW I should have backed up before using SimPE. Thank you if anyone can help
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 2nd May 2013 at 4:15 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 2nd May 2013 at 4:28 PM.
Have someone else in the neighborhood ask your families to move in with them. The existing apartment sublots should disappear on their own.

If you don't want to do that; I may have an alternative. Please ask if you want to know.

I hope that there were no tombstones on the apartment lot, since that can cause corruption. If there were, let us know before you move your family out and we'll see whether we can help you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2013 at 4:29 PM
That's what I was thinking of doing but the game crashes when I load it up now before it gets to the neighborhood, and also when I go into SimPE and click on the neighborhhod I'm playing, it has the 'unhandled expectation has occured' message.
Site Helper
#4 Old 2nd May 2013 at 5:10 PM
I didn't understand that the game crashes that early.

If SimPE gets an "unhandled exception" and the game crashes, then the neighborhood is probably completely unreadable and can't be fixed. I'm so sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2013 at 6:01 PM
I thought so . But is there any way I can save all my families? If I copy all the characters and delete the neighborhood that I was using in documents/ea games . what would that do? Please don't tell me I have to start again.
Banned
#6 Old 2nd May 2013 at 6:05 PM
BTW isn't changing the zoning of occupied lots one of those things you shouldn't do? Pretty sure I've read that and just would like to state it for anyone reading. I would imagine even more so for apartments with more than 1 family in as you'd be essentially taking multiple households and puting them in a single household without actually combining them.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2013 at 6:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonfan
I thought so . But is there any way I can save all my families? If I copy all the characters and delete the neighborhood that I was using in documents/ea games . what would that do? Please don't tell me I have to start again.

The only way I know of is to make a new hood and delete any charaters there and copy yours to it, do not start up the game.
Using SimPE you can extract them, then you will have there data to make them anew. Then delete that hood.

Someone else may have a better idea.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd May 2013 at 7:06 PM
@MattShizzle yeah I did realise that after I put the cheat in I was mistaking that cheat for the boolprop aptsublot cheat.
Thanks marka93 I'm going to read around first to see if anyone else has tried this before I do it.
Site Helper
#9 Old 2nd May 2013 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 2nd May 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonfan
If you cannot open the neighborhood, I know of no way to save your sims. As far as I know, you can't extract sims if you can't open the neighborhood in SimPE. And even the alternate Sim Surgery plugin won't work with unextracted character files. Actually, marka93 gave me an idea. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka93
The only way I know of is to make a new hood and delete any charaters there and copy yours to it, do not start up the game. Using SimPE you can extract them, then you will have there data to make them anew. Then delete that hood.
That sounds pretty kludgy to me. What's the likelihood that an arbitrary neighborhood will have the same Sim IDs as an arbitrary set of character files? I'm guessing that it's just about impossible. I decided to test this procedure. It doesn't work at all.

However, marka93's idea does give me an idea for a utility which might work:
- Scan a Characters folder for all sims.
- Create a new neighborhood package and add a Sim Description record for every Sim ID found.

An initial attempt at adding a Sim Description to a neighborhood and setting the SimID to the ID found in an arbitrary user file worked just fine. I was able to retrieve Mortimer Goth and then use SimPE Sim Surgery to extract him, so that he would appear in BodyShop / CAS.

alisonfan, if you are willing to wait for a few days, this should be a pretty easy utility to write. It won't save your neighborhood, but it will make your sims extractable, so that you can recreate your neighborhood. Are you interested in being a beta-tester?
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=502375
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2013 at 2:25 AM Last edited by alisonfan : 3rd May 2013 at 2:38 AM.
Yeah sure I can wait, and I do have a backup of my neighborhood that was created on the 24th of march, so it's not so bad.
thanks
Site Helper
#11 Old 3rd May 2013 at 2:58 AM
That's not that long ago. You might decide that it's better to restore your backup than to remake your neighborhood from scratch (which is the best that my utility could offer).
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd May 2013 at 9:47 PM
If you need beta testers for a utility like that, I'd be happy to help. I've restarted enough times now that I would appreciate such a tool, and I'm sure more people out there would.
Site Helper
#13 Old 4th May 2013 at 4:02 AM
That's great, gummilutt. I'll be posting updates in the thread in the Moo Tools forum.