Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Realistic Live Camera with Ego Perspective

by PacMani Posted 9th Jun 2013 at 3:27 PM - Updated 23rd Jun 2014 at 7:18 PM by PacMani : Removed doubled words ("Live Camera - Live Camera" file name)

81 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 40 Feedback Posts, 40 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 4
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#2 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 4:44 PM
I think this is a great mod..and I've not even downloaded it yet! (but I will..)
Just expanding the FOV (Field of View) from the lot is worth this one!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 5:07 PM
Probably a dumb question, but can this be combined with GunMods other camera modes? Since this is just live mode, I'd like to keep using other cameras of his such as neighbourhood one.

From a glance this looks great. Having greater FoV will help a lot when taking screenshots of rooms for uploads, or just taking pictures for yourself. Looking forward to testing it in game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 7:39 PM
Thank you for this! It looks like just what I need.

gummilutt - you can mix-n-match camera mods so long as you only have one of each installed. I use a combo of GunMod, Tom420, Sophie-David, and my own... Now I'm adding this one to the mix. It's all good.

I've been trying to tweak the CAScamera for widescreen viewing... so far, I'm not having much luck. Any suggestions? :D

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 10:48 PM
Awesome! Thanks a bunch! Like FranH already said the expanded FOV is reason enough for me to snag this- everything else is just a cool bonus!

@CatherineTCJD: If you ever manage to make a good widescreen CAS mod, please do share!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 2:18 AM
Awesome!! Will try it out and see how much better my screenshots will be Thanks again
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 5:25 AM
This camera mod is awesome! I played for 20 minutes, and the game looks a lot better! Awesome mod!!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 9:56 AM
I'm SO downloading this for the wide FOV alone! Great work, will make taking pictures much easier!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 11:41 AM
Can't wait to try this out in my game!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#10 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 3:14 PM
I've been playing around with this camera for a few hours, and it's great! The only drawback to it that I can actually see is that you have to manually maneuver the camera to come down from a height to match eye level or slightly above-such as the Maxis camera did.
Otherwise than that, it's wonderful to see the entire neighborhood at one go! It renders everything so realistically, as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 5:41 PM Last edited by PacMani : 10th Jun 2013 at 6:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I've been trying to tweak the CAScamera for widescreen viewing... so far, I'm not having much luck. Any suggestions? :D

Depending on what you mean exactly, I can try playing around with the CAS camera.
I think you mean that, for example, the face of a sim is always covered by the dumb user interface.
I don't think that can be fixed in an obvious way. In general, the configurations only allow to change maximum and minimum levels of zoom, pitch, fov or fading, but not the final positioning of a camera which would be needed here wee it actually IS possible, have a look at this:

It weirds out when zooming (Sim moves left and right too much) but I bet this can be tweaked.

A user interface which would expand to the far right edge of the screen and not to the mid would be better though.

But let's see what we can do since you can change the camera configurations at runtime (they will get immediately reloaded when saving), it shouldn't be too hard.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#12 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yes, PacMani, it's that blasted UI that gets in the way. I managed to change the angle so my sim is more over to the side of it - and I can zoom, of course, but it's not what I want. I didn't know you could mess with the camera files while the game was running!? That's excellent news!

Please PM me if you come up with anything... I'll do the same ;-)

EDITED to add: I'm loving your FOV!

EDITED again to respond to your post: Yes. That's about what I've come up with so far... not good enough though.
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 10:21 PM
I've already find a small problem: When you are on TAB, you cannot move the camera out of the lot. Also, when you are on the lot, press TAB and press an arrow, it teleports the camera back to the lot. Otherwise, this mod is great! Only the POV seems weird the first time you play with it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 3:41 AM
Omg! This is great for filming!!! Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#15 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 6:23 AM
I've been playing with this for a few hours and while it's definitely an improvement on Maxis and Gunmod, it takes some getting used to:
-The problem with different floors and the camera not moving along with pgup and pgdn is minor, just move forward a little and it is fixed.
-Another smallish issue is when centering on a dog/cat, they are so low to the ground, they are out of the frame. You have to manually move the camera backwards and tilt down to see what they are up to.
-Also, things (and sims) in the background are horizontally squished somewhat, they seem thinner when far away as a result of the zooomed out, wider view. This is how wide-angle works, so it's not really a problem but a feature.
-Oh, and stairs and lights fade out much earlier than before.

I in no way mean to bash your Live Camera mod, PacMani, the effect you created is very cool and it does everything on the tin.

Plus, the POV camera you have to see to believe, it's pretty freaky *being* your sim! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 5:01 PM Last edited by PacMani : 11th Jun 2013 at 5:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I didn't know you could mess with the camera files while the game was running!? That's excellent news!

I've noticed this is not completely working, but that's only noticable in CAS Mode. It looks like the game immediately reloads only "setparam" lines. The "fov", "clip", "smoothing" and "zoom" lines are not reloaded immediately. You have to cancel the current Sim and create a new one to see the effects of the changes (maybe switching between designing the head and the clothes is enough too, didn't try that yet). In Live mode however, the reload of those lines can be forced by using the mouse wheel, e.g. changing the zoom level of the camera.
Oh, and whenever it's reloaded, the camera will reset. Don't think the new view when returning to the game is an effect of your changes. That's just a reinitialized camera moved far out into a corner.

Quote: Originally posted by Pleasantking
I've already find a small problem: When you are on TAB, you cannot move the camera out of the lot. Also, when you are on the lot, press TAB and press an arrow, it teleports the camera back to the lot.

That's actually normal game behavior; I didn't modify the "FirstPersonCamera" and that one is still stuck to its default bounds, so it snaps back when you want to move it (the game then says "oh boy that coordinates escalated quickly, let's push it back immediately"). Also appeared in the default configuration of the LiveCamera if you rotated it far more outside than FirstPersonCamera allows.
Fix this by changing "constraintwidth" in the FirstPersonCamera.txt to the same value as this LiveCamera has, -900. This removes the limitation of movement (you can even change it to a higher value, but -500 is already outside the maximum visible neighborhood).

Quote: Originally posted by Omnomnomnivore
-The problem with different floors and the camera not moving along with pgup and pgdn is minor, just move forward a little and it is fixed.

That's true, I changed another thing here which I didn't list in the changes: The slope, in which the camera starts moving upwards from the lot ground to the floor you are currently in, is set to almost 0. To illustrate this, here's a small drawing:

The default camera uses the green slope to go upwards to the floor if you get too near to the wall, my camera uses the blue slope. This makes it possible to move closer to walls without getting sudden height changes.
To change this manually, you can tweak the "floorheightsamplerange" to a higher value than the current 0.1.
If you change it to 0 the camera will never move up and you can see floors below the current one! That is dumb though since you have to zoom out and rotate your camera upwards to see what's happening above.

-Another smallish issue is when centering on a dog/cat, they are so low to the ground, they are out of the frame. You have to manually move the camera backwards and tilt down to see what they are up to.

That's sadly a drawback due to the cam being fixed to an offset of the floor which is as high as an adults Sim eyes. If you want, I make a version with heights on other creatures eye heights, maybe even a small hotkey tool which changes this value at runtime?
You can manually change that by manipulating "pivotheightabovefloor" in the configuration. That's the height the camera will never underrun when hovering the floor.

-Oh, and stairs and lights fade out much earlier than before.

Are you sure you downloaded the version without fading? The other version has the Maxis fading. I just copypasted the values, maybe, due to some weird ingame calculation of the other different parameters, the fading also starts at different distances.

I in no way mean to bash your Live Camera mod, PacMani, the effect you created is very cool and it does everything on the tin.

No problem, I like good criticism and also had similar thoughts like you already

Plus, the POV camera you have to see to believe, it's pretty freaky *being* your sim! :D

Now stand in front of a mirror and practice romance! :D
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PacMani
Are you sure you downloaded the version without fading? The other version has the Maxis fading. I just copypasted the values, maybe, due to some weird ingame calculation of the other different parameters, the fading also starts at different distances.

I downloaded the version with Maxian fading, but the new fade-distance is truly remarkable. I thought my sims were literally walking on clouds when moving between floors... until I remembered the strangely empty area they used actually contained the stairs... Needless to say I hadn't played that house in a while

Now stand in front of a mirror and practice romance! :D

OMG, I hadn't even thought of that. I like your style!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#18 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 7:20 PM
I am actually very blown away by this camera mod, because for the first time, you can actually see all the sky at night (twinkle, twinkle), and the sun in daylight (plus the moon)..just awesome rendering!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#19 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 7:54 PM
I'm simply astonished! I've been using GunMod's Live camera for a long time, but I can honestly say I'm never going back. Building a house with this mod is great, you can see the whole room if you have the walls up and it really helps with decorating. Thank you very much!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 12:19 PM
can't try it right now as i'm not using my game atm - but i'm so downloading it! just the POV alone as seen in the pics is amazing! it was so restricted before and irritated me to no end.
and the sim's POV, even if there are mentions of issues or out-of-head-jumping while playing, is surely awesome for still picture taking, as you said, conversations. thanks a lot! ^_^
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 9:35 AM
I miss playing sims 2 **** Windows 8 - _ - Im stuck with sims 3 which isnt bad i can make sims look sexy but i love sims 2 more ♥
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Taylor1880
I miss playing sims 2 **** Windows 8 - _ - Im stuck with sims 3 which isnt bad i can make sims look sexy but i love sims 2 more ♥

I'm running Sims 2 on Windows 8. What's your problem exactly?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 2:24 PM
I somehow got rid of the "invisible" walls around your lot which stop your camera from moving any further. You can move over the whole neighborhood.
This is excellent and thanks. It will allow neighbourhood views from interesting angles. I'm also pretty impressed by the FP perspective. Well done.

A question: will it be ok to overwrite the relevent Gunmod files or do I need to uninstall that mod first?

Edit: OK just read the comments above about using different mods together. Even better.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 8:57 PM
I just wanted to say that I have waited years for someone to make a mod like this! Originally some dude named Swordwolf made a 'Sim's Eye View' mod, which looked AMAZING, but the mod had since disappeared and I have been trying to find it for so long.

This is like a recreation of that mod except it looks EVEN BETTER! Thank you so much PacMani, you're amazing!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 1:54 AM
Thank you very much PacMani, for that camera mod. It's more pleasant to play The Sims 2 with it.

Do you think you could do this mod also for The Sims 3? I now find that the normal camera in TS3 is crappy when I return playing with this game. And that is thanks to your Sims 2 camera mod...
Page 1 of 4