Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 11:07 PM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 16th Sep 2013 at 9:14 AM.
Default May I have help with windows please?(Now w/ files to troubleshoot)
I recently picked up my project again and am still struggling. I didn't get any help 6 months ago when I posted here, but I suppose I will try again.

You see, I am attempting to make some windows shorter. I did manage to do the actual meshing part by raising the bottom the proper amount. There's a hole under the window, but that should be easy to fix. The problem lies with the texture coordinate editor and such, as the texture in the game ended up wonky to say the least. So, I believe I need to match things up to where they need to be. For now, I have been attempting to do it with one of my recolors, figuring I can find out how to make it accept default colors and all my recolors later (I think I will need to make it into a 'slave' object for that). So, I load the texture into the thing with the ball that takes on the color in the material section, and supposedly "assign" makes it so I can see how the colors naturally wish to be, however that is failing. Nothing happens when I click it. So yeah..... I know there are a lot of hurdles to be jumped, and this is the first one.
I look forward to having some help.

I am happy to hear any ideas for my Storybook expansion project, as well as open to others helping.
Also, check out my object recoloring tutorial.
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 11:31 PM
I think i already sent you a link to a full Milkshape tutorial that does cover the texture editing part - you need to look through it.

Moving the window sill up is the easiest bit really - and if you already have the texture assigned to it you can see the change in the 3d window in MS.

When assigning a material then make sure you have the group selected. Go to the materials tab and hit assign - then get the texture file (I use a jpg copy for this) and assign it to the group. it should then texture the mesh.

In order to chack that the issue is with the changes you have made try exporting the GMDC from a fresh clone, change nothing and then assign the texture to it.

Pictures always help when you want to describe an issue.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 11:40 PM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 14th Sep 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Yeah, I have been looking at it.

Yeah, that was the easiest part way back when when I did it originally.

Yup, I selected the whole thing, and no matter what, nothing happens. I will see what the texture file is. It was a PNG. I made a JPEG one and that didn't work either.
I am thinking I need to figure "Though the texture is assigned to the model, the model isn't mapped yet. Go to the "3D" view panel, "Right" click and choose "Textured."" out, but for the life of me I cannot find that panel etc.
Edit: Okay, I think I got that. Now to remap it since I don't know how to start with how it was originally mapped.
Edit2: I am now working on discovering how to make new groups.

Hmmmmm..... I suppose I could indeed try that.

Edit3: Including thing I want to map. It looks like it is gonna be a doozy.
Screenshots

I am happy to hear any ideas for my Storybook expansion project, as well as open to others helping.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 12:18 AM Last edited by leefish : 15th Sep 2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spell fail again
As this is an EA model, as I told you in the PM, what is mapped stays mapped. Moving the MESH does not change the mapping. However, by changing the size of the areas in the mesh editor you may cause some distortion of the uv mapping.

in theory, you can do this:

Clone the window. Export the gmdc. Get the texture file, export and save as jpg. Go to milkshape, import the gmdc and select the groups you expect to be mapped (not the glass). Select them in the GROUPS tab in milkshape. Then go to the materials tab. Click new -> assign. Select your jpg as the texture for the new material. Look in the main window - 3d is fine, Right click and choose textured. It should be mapped.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 1:15 AM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 14th Sep 2013 at 1:29 AM.
Clone the original window or my window?

Edit: And I was not aware that the GMDC had textures. :O

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 1:34 AM
The original window. We are first getting you able to use the texture editor and be confident that the window you are working on is made correctly.

The GMDC is the mesh. A mesh is textured. The texture you want is whatever texture the original window is mapped to. I have no idea if they have their own texture or are borrowing from another object. If there is no txtr in the package then you need to find where the window is pulling the texture from.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 1:44 AM
I got the original TXTR and slapped that on my window and it looks great. I just wonder why it didn't do that in the game before. Because I didnt' do the assign I wonder? I just need my registration key to be sent to me that I bought last night and then I may see if this version looks better in the game. Then I suppose I will have to tackle a repository tutorial to convince the window to get its textures from the original window. Then I guess I will have to do the same thing with the smaller window. Then, a windowless door! :D
Screenshots

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 2:23 AM
Looks good, glad you could get it sorted.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:17 AM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 15th Sep 2013 at 7:08 AM.
Update. While I am still working through some wallmask and shadow stuff, the coloring looks good and as it should look. Though there is something odd. The recolors have all been doubled, with one looking good, and one looking wonky. I am not sure what to do about that...

Edit: I THINK I fixed the wallmask issue, though the shadows are still giving me some issues. I believe I must edit "shadow-alpha_txtr".....

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 10:51 AM
You need to clone the window and give it a new set of GUIDs (one per OBJD) and then link up the repository pieces. The txtr you need to change for the wallmasks should have the word wallmask in it - the shadows need to be realigned on the shadow texture - the shadow is a mesh in the GMDC. You fix it using the texture coordinate editor.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 11:18 PM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 16th Sep 2013 at 6:03 PM.
I thought I did give it its new guids.... I suppose I will have to double check. I do still need to do the repository part though.
The issue with the wallmasks is that they ended up facing the same direction. Simple issue, simple fix.
Ahhhh, the little shadow around it is a mesh........
Thank you muchly.

Edit: Fixing the shadow went great and I doublechecked all the guids. Besides the repository thing, this window is good to go. Problem is, can one slave something to a maxis object? I am not sure as the tutorial seems to call for the changing of that too.

Edit2: I followed JWood's repository tutorial, but when the first test time came, I ended up with a strange blue object. Soooooo...... stuck now.

Edit3: Since I was unable to figure that out, I simply recolored it like I would anything to give my recolors and that worked great. Then I began work on the diagonal. And I am again stuck, unable to figure out how to have it have the colors. This is hard... :/

Edit4: I have managed to get through this tutorial http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=82075 until the very end. The tsMaterialsMeshName has no items. So someone with a similar problem was sent to the repository tutorial to learn how to add a line. Goodness gracious.

Edit5: Well that didn't work. I am attaching the files so hopefully someone can take a peek.

Edit6: Oh, and the diagonal has some "binary" textures. Those are just the wonky textures I haven't finished deleting.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  StorybookShorterWindownotworking.zip (471.8 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 2:04 AM
Repositorying to a Maxis texture is the preferred way to go. I learned how to make repository windows via 3 tutorials here on MTS. I already linked you to the wallmask one by Numenor. The other two are by IgnorantBliss

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=229452

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=98436

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 5:53 AM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 21st Sep 2013 at 8:10 AM.
Yeah, that second one was really helpful. That's what got me through the first bunch of steps. The first one looks good as well. Hopefully I can use that to move past the tsMaterialsMeshName issue. Thanks for your continuing help. I look forward to trying it out.

Edit: Okay, that didn't work. I decided to try slaving the main window again, now with that tutorial, and not only does it not have its recolors still, but it lost one of its subsets. I followed the directions so carefully too. :/
I think this window hates me.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 11:10 AM Last edited by leefish : 21st Sep 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Ok, you need to understand what different bits do.

The GMDC holds the actual mesh. The thing you see in game
The GMND holds information about colours and recolor options
The SHPE holds information about TXTRs

When you repository a window then you need to make sure that the parts in the mesh are the same name as the window you want to repository.

Example: Storybook window mesh has story frame and story glass (not real names, are an example). So your window needs to have parts called story frame and story glass in the gmdc. If they are called anything else you wont see them. In the GMND in the tsMaterialsMeshName you need to make sure that the pieces of the mesh that you want to pull any recolors are listed. You also need to make sure the subsets are correct in the Design enabled block of the GMND. In the SHPE you need to use the txtr links as in the original window; no ic5000 bla bla - just the information as in the original window.

See the attached fixed straight window. I removed the unneeded TXMT and MMATS and so on. The Diagonal is for you to do.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Storybook2tilewindowshorterfixed.rar (28.9 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 5:21 PM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 21st Sep 2013 at 5:57 PM.
So I need to add the things in the tsMaterialsMeshName? Because all my example had was glass.... Well, thank you. I will look at it and perhaps that will give me the clue about the issue.

Edit: Aha! The reason it lost its glass subset for me is because it gets that from the one tile window! I think my most recent effort (it did not contain the 1050c whatevers) was fairly close. I guess we shall see. I SHALL REPOSIT THIS DIAGONAL!
Edit: WHOOOOOOOOOOO it was slaved without a hitch. No problems at all. None. First try. Thanks SOSOSOSOSOSOOOOOOO much for all the help. I probably seemed like a total idiot at times. :P

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:02 PM
Ok, dont edit your previous post though or I will not see it.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:11 PM
Oh, sorry. I was trying to not disobey the double posting rules.

I hope I can make the 1-tile window with ease now. :D

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#18 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:14 PM
Yea, but then you are saying you are waiting for help as if you wonder why nobody helps you after you edit a post 6 times. If you want help, after editing x times then you may post a post saying "double posting so my updates can be seen on the new posts". 6 posts in a row would be silly indeed.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 7:33 AM
"Cannot be placed on a diagonal wall." Yay....... (sarcasm) I swear I did all the same stuff I did before and the main 1 tile window went off without a hitch, but the diagonals. I reimported the meshes and double checked a ton of things. I feel guilty that I still need help, but I can't figure out what went wrong.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  StorybookWindow1tileDIAGONALshorter.rar (16.8 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 11:08 AM
Did you remember to link the diagonal and straight meshes as in the making custom windows tutorial I linked you to?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 1:27 PM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 22nd Sep 2013 at 1:42 PM.
That tutorial (which is what originally got me a window ) directs to http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=82075 which I indeed followed. After step 3 of that which I checked like 4 times, it is pretty much the repository technique, which I had thought I got the hang of. So as I did with the first diagonal, I had it get its colors from the maxis window, which the non diagonal gets its colors from too. Shape, all the same Parts. Geometric Data Container, all the same Groups. The strings in the Geometric Node are all the same too. Only thing that is different is that I didn't use the cres thing for the geometric node because I thought I should use the same thing the non diagonal does to get the textures. I guess I will try the long name with stuff in front of it there? I think that is my last idea. If it works then it means I still have a lot to learn about how these things work. Though it isn't like that in the big windows so I really don't know.
Edit: That did not work either. I am baffled.
Edit2: I do find it odd that the diagonal only has one wallmask txtr whereas the normal has two.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 8:32 PM Last edited by leefish : 22nd Sep 2013 at 8:46 PM.
Do you have both windows? I cannot check a diagonal without the straight.

I have no idea what you mean about another tutorial - steps 28 onward of the Custom window tutorial explain how to make a diagonal window.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 9:47 PM
It explains how to make them, not how to link them. And I made it as I remember doing it the first time, along with the directions of course. The remembering was for something that I find confusing. The mesh export import.
"Export the meshes and then just open in Milkshape, one at a time, the mapped and regrouped versions of the STRAIGHT window frames you made earlier, south and north ones, accordingly, and export them as the diagonal windows. With windows, you do NOT need to rotate the meshes in any way to make them diagonal, just use the straight window meshes in the position they are and import them into the diagonal package."
I exported the diagonal meshes, imported the normals into milkshape, saved/exported them as the diagonals and imported them back into the geometric data container.

And step 32 directs me to http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=82075 to link them. "32. From here on, to link the straight and diagonal versions together, I suggest you follow this article by Numenor. You can skip some of the stuff in Steps 1 and 2, since we already did those, and go on from Step 3. (I recommend you download the .pdf version of his article and keep it for later use.)"
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SmallShorterStorybookWindow.rar (36.0 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#24 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 10:14 PM
Ok, I downloaded the files.

The diagonal file was huge as it was full of textures you don't need. You only need the wallmasks in this package - the rest should be repository linked as in the window I fixed for you already.

So I fixed this one as well. If you intend to make windows to share rather than to use in your own game then all these "workarounds" are just not going to be accepted on MTS. I looked at the tutorial - no better way to explain it than in the linked images and the files were linked correctly. I ran a fix integrity and fixed the broken tsMaterialsMeshName and SHPE. The diagonal window places fine on a two tile wall.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Working.rar (53.3 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 12:55 AM Last edited by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo : 23rd Sep 2013 at 1:26 AM.
Eh? But I did only leave a wallmask left. And and..... I did run fix integrities....... and I've been working so hard to figure this out. So are you saying after the hours of work I have put in I can't upload it?!
And what was broken about the tsMaterialsMeshName? I mean, I followed the tutorial on making one myself. I really want to learn, not have things handed to me.
Edit: The 2-tile windows are what is in your uploaded package.
Edit2: AHA! I decided to try fixing the twotile window myself (I still had mine) and it worked. I guess I have learned a lot since, and was close to fixing it as I thought. Because as I said, I didn't want things handed to me. So yay!
Screenshots

Page 1 of 2