Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 5:27 AM Last edited by ijustneedsomeeyes : 14th Jan 2014 at 3:35 AM. Reason: This project has now been moved to open source.
Default Update: Not working on this anymore, so I will upload the resources in this thread for free usage.
Since I am having hair-splitting problems with Milkshape right now, I have officially called a hiatus on all Milkshape-related projects, until I can figure out why everything is spontaneously exploding. Maybe it's the bases I'm using, maybe it's the files I'm working with, perhaps it's some setting I accidentally ticked, I don't know. Yet.

So I'm uploading the textures here now (the mesh is in post #5 of this thread) and hopefully, somebody else will find a use for this or hopefully make a teen-version of this outfit.

I'm not ballsy enough to bother people with requests, but I would officially like to say that if I'm not making something fast enough, I give you full permission to make it for me. If I can't make something, but have the resources, I give you full permission to use my resources however you wish, even if it isn't related to what I was originally trying to make.

Original title: Neck gap (slight) and teen movements crushing parts of outfit

Edit: I just noticed that the boots for the teen mesh crinkle horribly when the teen is moving in certain ways. How can I fix this too?

I upload the most perfect outfit...

It looks dandy in the previews from far away, no? That is cause I used Wes's unimesh plugin to Vertex Data Merge + Normal Data Merge. But then....it does this still!:

The gap is still there at certain angles! Is this because I used the top vertices of the teen neck reference mesh, instead of the middle vertices? I'm certain that I shouldn't be using the middle...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TheTextures.rar (1.08 MB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

When noregen hacks are not enough...you know what you must do. (RIP Mootilda , pay your respects in the thread and in her guestbook.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ijustneedsomeeyes
The gap is still there at certain angles! Is this because I used the top vertices of the teen neck reference mesh, instead of the middle vertices? I'm certain that I shouldn't be using the middle...

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Top vertices? Middle vertices?

All you need to do is copy the vertex data and normals from an existing teen mesh to your new teen mesh. You do that by having both meshes loaded, with the existing teen mesh above your altered teen mesh in the mesh groups in MilkShape. Then select one vertex from each mesh (the ones around the top of the neck) and do Vertex Data Merge and Normal Data Merge. Do that for each point around the top of the neck.

The gap you're seeing is because the bones assignments/weights aren't exactly the same. Vertex Data Merge will copy the bone information as well, so you don't have to do it in a separate step.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Top vertices? Middle vertices?

All you need to do is copy the vertex data and normals from an existing teen mesh to your new teen mesh. You do that by having both meshes loaded, with the existing teen mesh above your altered teen mesh in the mesh groups in MilkShape. Then select one vertex from each mesh (the ones around the top of the neck) and do Vertex Data Merge and Normal Data Merge. Do that for each point around the top of the neck.

The gap you're seeing is because the bones assignments/weights aren't exactly the same. Vertex Data Merge will copy the bone information as well, so you don't have to do it in a separate step.

The neck mesh for the teen reference I used had two rings of vertices near the top, so I used the topmost ones as a reference. I moved the teen reference mesh group on top and did both vert and normals, like you said, I used this tutorial, except I changed the instructions for the waist to the neck.

However, the neck mesh for the adult mesh had only one ring of vertices at the top. I will attach the mesh I altered, the mesh before it was altered and the teen normals reference to this thread.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  the_mesh.rar (402.3 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

When noregen hacks are not enough...you know what you must do. (RIP Mootilda , pay your respects in the thread and in her guestbook.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 10:15 PM
If your reference mesh was a head mesh, you should have used the lowest line of vertices. If the reference mesh was a top or body mesh, you should have used the highest row - always the row which is on the edge.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
If your reference mesh was a head mesh, you should have used the lowest line of vertices. If the reference mesh was a top or body mesh, you should have used the highest row - always the row which is on the edge.

It was the body mesh (in the attachment) and yes, I did use the topmost vertices, as stated in the OP. It reduced the mismatch by alot, but at certain angles, it still has a very small gap.

I was just wondering what else I could do or if I had done something wrong/left something out.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Dec 2013 at 11:58 PM
You could try using a different reference mesh. Most of the ones I've used only have one ring of vertices around the top (unless they have something fancy like a collar or turtleneck). If yours had two rings, it's probably not standard... which may be why you're having problems.

EDIT:

Also, about those crumpling boots... That can happen with resizing when you don't line up the joints on the mesh correctly with the skeleton. (You should see the weird, wiggly elbows some of my toddlers had when I first tried to resize some kids' outfits for them! Scary stuff...)

I noticed that the teen's legs look a bit distorted when she moves around in the game, too, which might be the same issue. You can fix this by using a teen mesh for reference and making sure the ankle and knee vertices on your resized mesh line up with the corresponding ones on the reference mesh.

If you don't get the bendy vertices (like elbows, knees, ankles, etc.) in just the right place, the game will still try to bend your mesh to the skeleton and you'll get strange distortions and crumples where you don't want them. It would be nice if we could resize the whole mesh at once, but Sim proportions change depending on the age, so some parts need to be resized more than others (for example, if you resize from adult to toddler, you have to make the legs a lot shorter because toddlers have stubby little legs compared to adult Sims).
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 12:22 AM
Okay... well, there's something very wrong with your Sim's boots, which is probably why they look weird when they animate. When I use the Rotate tool and Anim button to check the Sim's movement, the whole leg should swing forward like she's doing a high kick. Instead, this is what happens:

For some reason, your Sim's boots appear to be glued to the floor.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 1:28 AM
Thank you for being selfless enough to test the mesh, fakepeeps. I'm going to scrap what I have now and start from scratch.

Also, for future reference to anybody else looking at this thread, I used this tutorial.

Instructor
#9 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 11:27 AM
What I do is import a normal teen gmdc into Milkshape and then the one you're going to convert.
Hide your teen mesh and resize the adult one in Milkshape 0.94 0.94 0.94
Unhide the teen one and check the neck - may need to do the vertex data thing fakepeeps mentioned
Delete the first teen mesh you imported, check the comments etc and export the new teen mesh