Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
Default Replacing the Maxis Defaults
I really hate the default green eyes in the game. I mean, they are totally unrealistic. (I have green eyes, and nobody's eyes are that green!)

Anyway, I use the paradise nude skins to replace the maxis defaults, and I was wondering, is it possible that we can replace the eyes as well? I'd love it if we could, for my problems with breeding out those ugly green eyes would be solved!
Advertisement
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 11:11 PM
I've done a few recolored eyes that bred true. I know there's supposed to be some complex genetics formula for these things, but my custom eye colors have shown up in babies born in-game, so go for it!

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#3 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 10:34 AM
I would like to know this too actually. Surely there is some way we can overide the default eyes so that all maxis generated sims and npcs, etc, automatically took on the new default eyecolor instead of the original maxis ones?

I would LOVE to replace the default eyecolors, just as we replaced the default skintones with realistic ones...
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 11:03 AM
Way at the very end of tutorials I found this one: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.p...efault+skintone

It's old, and it involves a lot of stuff I don't do, but it's probably a good starting point for someone who does do hex editing to figure out how to replace other defaults besides skin tones.

As I said, it's not something I'm capable of, but someone on here might be able to tell us whether it's a doable thing and figure out how to do eye colors.

Space Pony
#5 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 9:06 AM
Ok - I just tried this & it works in Body Shop. I didn't test it in the game, but it should also work.

1) Start SimPE & open up Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TS Data\Res\Sims3D\Sims12.package then type into the Instance Filter (at the top) 0xFFDA620A
3) Click on Large Image File in the right panel & make sure the Plugin View tab is selected. You should see an image of the green eye. Click the Export Button & save it somewhere you'll remember. Edit this file in a paint program - remember to save it as a PNG.
4) Open Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TS Data\Res\Sims3D\Sims07.package then type into the Instance Filter 0xFF4C0AC1
5) Right click on Texture Image in the right panel & choose Extract from the context list. Save this in the same place you saved the image.
6) Do File Menu >> New (use Long Index)
7) In the right panel, right click & pick Add & find the TXTR file you just extracted in step 5.
8) Click on Texture Image in the right panel, then click Import & pick your modified PNG. Click Commit.
9) In the bottom part of the screen is a list of files that mostly say uuface-eye-green. Click on each of those files & delete them. You want to delete everything except the one that says Image 512 x 512 - uuface-eye-green. Then click Commit & then Save the package as default_green_eyes into your SavedSims folder.

I've attached the sample I did - note that the eyes are weird green because I wanted to make sure Body Shop was using them as the default green.

Alternatively, you could just replace the PNG in this file with your own colored one & save it.

Morague
Attached files:
File Type: zip  default_green_eyes.zip (23.9 KB, 338 downloads) - View custom content
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 1:11 PM
Thank you, morague. Normally, I would have edited out that zip file - against forum rules, but in this case, it's part and parcel of the whole thing, and I really appreciate your contribution.

Now, I know that in the tutorial I linked to before about the default skintone, the package was Sims07.package - is there an easy way to find out which package is which? I'm sure there are other default packages that people would like to change. . .(we need a smilie to represent picking people's brains.)

Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 1:49 PM
Yay! Thank you so much!

Now I just need to find all of the rest of the eyecolors...
Field Researcher
#8 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 6:25 PM
yeah the Maxis made eyes look like anime eyes, horribly unrealistic. I really would like to get rid of them all so they'll never turn up again.
Space Pony
#9 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 10:15 PM
Oh - I am so sorry! I forgot about the attachments :/ Speaking of them - go to http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...92&page=2&pp=38 & grab the SimShape attachment in mcmikey's message. It's an Excel spreadsheet that lists what is in each Sims01 through Sims12 package & it's invalueable! It doesn not include University stuff but it's still very, very useful. I use it all the time

Using the spreadsheet you can easily look up the Instance numbers for whatever it is you want to access by searching in the text for the name of the thing you want.

Just remember, if you want to change the default eye color of the other colors you'll have to make you own package following the steps outlined above & substituting the proper instance numbers for the ones I used - the example & attachment I did was only to replace the green eyes.

Morague
Field Researcher
#10 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 10:17 PM
The eyes aren't supposed to be realistic, they are supposed to match the way the sims look.

The green eyes match my eyes perfectly, btw.
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 12:15 AM
Even if you don't want "realistic" eyes, this helps if you want your green default to be less GREEN or your brown to have a darker ring around the edge, or whatever, I downloaded a very realistic eye, deleted it as soon as I put it on a sim - but that doesn't mean that there aren't other applications for this information, or other people who like it better than I did.

Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 6:54 PM
Could you show us what the package contains? I'd like to see what you've done with them.
Space Pony
#13 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 3:17 AM
child_of_air - who are you addressing the question to? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Sorry.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 6:36 AM
To you. I was asking if you had a picture of the default green eyes. If I understand you correctly, these eyes will replace the original in the game?

Thanks ever so much for doing this and sharing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 6:42 AM
Nevermind. I just reread this thread, and now I understand I have to do my own default green, which is fine. Thanks so much for doing this again, like I said before. Those damn green eyes are my biggest complaint when it comes to genetics.....so much so that I sometimes kill of sims just for having green eyes....all but Don Lathario. Now I'm able to breed sims with green eyes that are otherwise good looking.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:10 PM
Morague- I send you a private PM regarding this. I was hoping you could help me because I seem to have really screwed it up.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 10:19 PM
Thank you Morague for an excellent tutorial. It worked like a charm. I also did the other eyes and here are the instance filter numbers if anyone else is interested. It took me a while to find them LOL

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFF672AC -- Drk Blue

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF1BA3A5 -- Brown

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFDA620A -- Green

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFFBB8BB -- Grey

Sims12.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF520051 -- Lgt Blue

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFA4A165 -- Drk Blue

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF77AF87 -- Brown

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFF4C0AC1 -- Green

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter -- 0xFFA333D0 -- Grey

Sims07.package -- Instance Filter --0xFF1C5E4E -- Lgt Blue

When I extracted the texture images from Sims07.package I also noticed that there were images both sized 512x512 and 256x256. I assume this might mean that people with lower capacity computers will not be able to use new defaults created for 512x512. Does anyone have more info regarding this? The instance filter numbers above are all for size 512x512.
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 4:40 PM
Thank you so much for this. Not everyone can understand how the hex editing works, but with this information, they can at least make changes without breaking anything. Much.

Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 2:16 AM
This is great! Thanks so much for sharing this information!! I've been wanting to do this since the game came out.

A question - do you follow the exact same process if you want to replace the skin sets with your own? Has anyone done this yet? I am trying to do this this morning and have a few questions.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Apr 2005 at 6:24 AM
Default Thank you for this helpful information
Would like to thank you for all the help you have given us. This is a great tutorial.
Quote: Originally posted by Morague
Ok - I just tried this & it works in Body Shop. I didn't test it in the game, but it should also work.

1) Start SimPE & open up Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TS Data\Res\Sims3D\Sims12.package then type into the Instance Filter (at the top) 0xFFDA620A
3) Click on Large Image File in the right panel & make sure the Plugin View tab is selected. You should see an image of the green eye. Click the Export Button & save it somewhere you'll remember. Edit this file in a paint program - remember to save it as a PNG.
4) Open Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TS Data\Res\Sims3D\Sims07.package then type into the Instance Filter 0xFF4C0AC1
5) Right click on Texture Image in the right panel & choose Extract from the context list. Save this in the same place you saved the image.
6) Do File Menu >> New (use Long Index)
7) In the right panel, right click & pick Add & find the TXTR file you just extracted in step 5.
8) Click on Texture Image in the right panel, then click Import & pick your modified PNG. Click Commit.
9) In the bottom part of the screen is a list of files that mostly say uuface-eye-green. Click on each of those files & delete them. You want to delete everything except the one that says Image 512 x 512 - uuface-eye-green. Then click Commit & then Save the package as default_green_eyes into your SavedSims folder.

I've attached the sample I did - note that the eyes are weird green because I wanted to make sure Body Shop was using them as the default green.

Alternatively, you could just replace the PNG in this file with your own colored one & save it.

Morague
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 7:44 AM
I've replaced the green eyes awhile ago. You can find my creation under skin downloads here at MTS2.
Test Subject
#22 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 1:23 PM
What about the vampire red eyes?

Do call me Charlie, thanks
Test Subject
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 8:27 AM
This is a great tutorial that's easy to follow. Thanks Morague.
Theorist
#24 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 1:15 PM
Yes I too find the Eyes HORRIBLE-y unrealistic.
what about the Vampire and aliens and warewlf AND thr Plantsims are thay also replaceable?
I have seen normal eyes replacements and normal skin replacements but no paranormal replacments.

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 10:45 PM
Great tutorial Morague, but it's too bad I can't actually do it--I have the newest version of Simpe, and when I opened up the Sims12 file, I didn't see 'instance filter' ANYWHERE. I don't know if they changed SimPE with the newest version, or if I'm just too dumb to find it. :P
Gosh, I HATE the default eyes. They make the Sims look more like cartoons, and not real people, which is what I prefer. And the skintones! Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Please. DON'T ask me who Frazier is, or I'll hurt you.
Page 1 of 2