Replies: 27 (Who?), Viewed: 4363 times.
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 4:53 AM
Default Simasota County Sheriff Uniform
Mirror mirror on the wall, have I any modding skills at all? :-)

So... A few days ago I uploaded a cheerleading uniform, based of of Port Charlotte High School's cheer uniforms, and it was rejected basically because, even though I thought it turned out quite nicely for an MS Paint thing, MS Paint sucks. I was told by Porky Pine, the moderator that reviewed it, to download GIMP and try again (which is the next thing I'm going; bringing that cheer uniform up to code using GIMP).

At the time the rejection came in, I was working on making a uniform for the Simasota County Sheriff's Office, based on the real life Sarasota County. It's a recolor of Fanseelamb's dark blue police uniform. That project turned out even worse in MS Paint even after spending a few hours on it, so I redid it in the GIMP program, and behold, it tuned out a lot nicer. But is it good enough for MTS? Make no bones about it, I'm a n00b at GIMP, so any constructive criticism woud be much appreciated.

If anyone is wondering why the badge is so big, it's because I had to cover up the one that was already on Fanseelamb's uniform.

This is what they actually look like IRL:

Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 3:18 AM
Well, there's the old adage no news is good news, so I'm assuming there's nothing in this that needs to be corrected before uploading it. If there is, I guess I will find out. :-)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:12 AM Last edited by leefish : 27th Aug 2014 at 6:29 AM.
hi, I did not see this thread. The uniforms are way way too dark, they are not darkgreen, they are close to flat black and have really lost the detail. That wont look good in game. You need to make them a lot lighter.The badges are looking blurry but look sharp on the texture - there is a known issue for this. Check the bodyshop guidelines - I think the fix is linked from there.

Here it is: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...y_Shop_Projects

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefish
hi, I did not see this thread. The uniforms are way way too dark, they are not darkgreen, they are close to flat black and have really lost the detail. That wont look good in game. You need to make them a lot lighter.The badges are looking blurry but look sharp on the texture - there is a known issue for this. Check the bodyshop guidelines - I think the fix is linked from there.

Here it is: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...y_Shop_Projects

The reason the screenshots are blurry is because I took them on medium texture detail and graphic detail instead of high; Ultimate Collection defaulted that way and I didn't realize it right off. I attached another screenshot with this reply with the details set to high.
;
The MS Paint version came out entirely too light, so I kind of did overkill on the darkness. Being colorblind, of course, does not help in that regard, but I'm going to work on lightening them up.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 3:18 AM
I normally would not double post like this, but since I couldn't find an option to upload screenshots under the edit screen...

I redid the uniform, lightened up a little and improvements to the badge. The patches are just copied over from the original one. The female next to Darren is wearing the darker original one.

I made another one that is a tad greener, which I also included screenshots of. I also made a screenshot of Darren wearing the greener one and a prop cop wearing the one that was just lightened. Let me know which one looks better.
Screenshots
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 3:28 AM
Still gotta go lighter - are still too black imo.

Some pic tips - take them inside on a plain floor against a plain wall - offwhite - with the lights on. The more colors you have in the pictures, the less sharp they get. All those outdoor shots with lots of detail are detracting from the detail available to show your texture. Look at fanseelambs uploads for a nice presentation style.

Additionally - make sure you have the resolution set correctly and turn square pixels ON for pic taking. These pictures are looking stretched vertically.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback and help on this; I'm going to plan on working on this and maybe the cheerleading uniform tomorrow.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 3:43 AM
Ignore the MS Paint workmanship in the screenshot below, this was my original try at this before I downloaded the GIMP and I know the detail work is not nearly good enough for MTS. The reason I created a screenshot of it was because I'm trying to get an idea of how light to go. I thought this one turned out too light, but since the last few were too dark, I would like a second opinion. Is this shade of green better or worse than my last few attempts?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#9 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 2:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnefriends
Ignore the MS Paint workmanship in the screenshot below, this was my original try at this before I downloaded the GIMP and I know the detail work is not nearly good enough for MTS. The reason I created a screenshot of it was because I'm trying to get an idea of how light to go. I thought this one turned out too light, but since the last few were too dark, I would like a second opinion. Is this shade of green better or worse than my last few attempts?
I can not tell you exactly because your picture shows light hitting from all direction but the front. I suggest you use the boolprop cheat and use moveobjects on and snaptogrid off so u can move your guy in a way that the light is hitting his front instead of sides. To beginn with work with making a nice not overly bright picture so it shows exactly which shade of green you are using. It seems like it is a good shade but I'm only guessing because of the lights hitting on wrong direction. Think of you taking a picture of a friend at sunset at the beach, if your friends back is turned towards the sunset, then you will enjoy an immence view of the sunset and your friend is gonna look all dark in the face. make him stand looking at the sunset and you'll have a beautifull picture of him or her.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 2:58 PM
I think that is a better green - perhaps a tad darker, but not much. telefen is right that lighting helps a lot when showing your pictures. I like these lights from fansee: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5603

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 12:44 AM
Well, I lightened it up now. I didn't make the changes in Bodyshop to cure the blurriness because the tutorial said it can make things worse, and because I wasn't sure if you were basing that entirely on the original screenshots which were taken with the graphics at a lower quality. So... Anymore need for improvement?

By the way, I guess the reason I was making the uniforms almost black before is because, to me, the real life ones are very dark and are more black than green. Of course, I'm also color blind.

Edit: Completely forgot to turn the square pixels on, sorry.
Screenshots
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 10:52 AM
Those are better I think - but you need a greyer green (this is going to be hard to do if you are colour blind). What you can try is also copying the original picture and then using the eyedropper to match up the colour tone t use in your bodyshop recolour (if that makes sense).

I don't know quite what is happening with your pictures; please can you attach the recolour so I can have a look in my game?

Field Researcher
#13 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 12:29 PM
If I were to put my 2 cents in, it feels like the badge on the chest feels a bit too large to fit in with the rest of the uniform.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 2:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prah
If I were to put my 2 cents in, it feels like the badge on the chest feels a bit too large to fit in with the rest of the uniform.

The reason the badge is so big is to cover up the police badge that was already on the texture; the only other way I can think of would be to try covering up the original badge with green, which still might not look right because it overlaps the shirt pocket.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 2:17 PM
Well, if it isnt a meshed piece then you would need to carefully cover over the badge on the texture, and then add your badge over it. If it is a meshed piece then you might need to compromise. The outfit also has a version with a patch instead of a star.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 3:17 PM
Well, I shrunk the badge size down by taking what I already had and scaling it down in GIMP. Then I filled in the white void with green, and used a brush to put the pocket back in place. A lot of the detail on the badge seems to have been lost from the scaling, but I did use the sharpening tool on it so it wouldn't be too blurry. It's amazing how doable that actually was.

I also turned on square pixels
Screenshots
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#17 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 9:14 PM
k, looking better. He has green boots though - maybe better black? Not dead black of course - a very dark grey. Try and get the light so it shines on the front of Don, not behind him.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:38 AM
Quote:
k, looking better. He has green boots though - maybe better black? Not dead black of course - a very dark grey. Try and get the light so it shines on the front of Don, not behind him.

I tinkered with the hue on the boots, they're not a straight black, but they're not green anymore either. Screenshots are coming either some time tomorrow or Tuesday. Now once I get everything perfected I'll work on making a version to replace the default police uniform (like Fanseelamb did with his recolors). Then if I recolor Fresh Prince's Chevy Impala as a Simasota Sheriff car, and figure out how to replace the default police car with it, then I'll really have a bonafide SCSO responding to the burglar calls (and teen runaways, and counterfeiters, etc).
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 5:53 AM
k, I was talking to fanseelamb about this and she asked if you had masked out the areas that you did not want green - like the radio, the belt, the boots.
Here is a link to a tutorial: http://docs.gimp.org/nl/gimp-layer-mask-add.html and a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9aZdPqs17M

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:17 AM
Quote:
k, I was talking to fanseelamb about this and she asked if you had masked out the areas that you did not want green - like the radio, the belt, the boots.
Here is a link to a tutorial: http://docs.gimp.org/nl/gimp-layer-mask-add.html and a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9aZdPqs17M

At the time I started working on the recolor, I honestly didn't think it would be that noticeable (wrong). What I've done to abate this is tinker with the hue on the boots, radio, belt, and holsters. As you can see in the screenshots below. I know the red boarder needs to be removed if these screenshots were to be used in the finished product.

Anything else you can see that needs fixing or improving? What about the logos, should I go in and make those changes in the Body Shop settings you had talked about before?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#21 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 7:51 PM Last edited by telefen : 2nd Sep 2014 at 8:03 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnefriends
At the time I started working on the recolor, I honestly didn't think it would be that noticeable (wrong). What I've done to abate this is tinker with the hue on the boots, radio, belt, and holsters. As you can see in the screenshots below. I know the red boarder needs to be removed if these screenshots were to be used in the finished product.

Anything else you can see that needs fixing or improving? What about the logos, should I go in and make those changes in the Body Shop settings you had talked about before?

Hi: I am just curious as when you are taking these pictures,which method are you using?,also Are you using only daylight? Your screenshots need improving if the moderators are gonna analyze your work without making an issue about lighting. Here is what I would suggest for you:

1) enable boolpropcheat 2) use snaptogrid off 3) moveobjects on 4) 45 degeree enabled. Your background is very light sucking and that is why you are getting all that sea of light surounding your model and making his front view look so dark. I suggest you use a nice living room area with least amount of furniture and other distractions and a subtle wall paper or a color which is not plain white to begin with. Then use several different lights to brighten him up without over doing it . I usually use a few different standing lights a few meters away and u can move those lights easier thru the cheats I just mentioned, also better looking pictures at night IMO, but you can experiment with these settings and see if you can achieve what I told you. Remember when moderators look at your model, they wanna see a good,clear well lit picture of him from the camera angle whether it is a frontal or side view etc.. That is what is gonna appear in your final product and this might just determine if people are gonna bother looking and downloading your stuff . It is not difficult if you try and experiment a bit to achieve a nice screenshot. Good luck to you. BTW I just came to think of some nice stuff you can use some of them for your work on lightinghere
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#22 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 1:48 AM
As a moderator I will say do not take your pictures with furniture in a room setting as Telefen suggests, rather go with what I suggest. It is the lighting you are using; you need to light the area you are showing from the front, not directly overhead. Look at fanseelambs pictures - not a shred of furniture to be seen and a plain background.

Use an off-white wall - try using different lights - I think I already linked you to the lights fansee made which are great for screenshots.

I cannot judge those outfits with those pictures. If you attach the file I can look in my game.

Forum Resident
#23 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:02 AM
Quote:
As a moderator I will say do not take your pictures with furniture in a room setting as Telefen suggests, rather go with what I suggest. It is the lighting you are using; you need to light the area you are showing from the front, not directly overhead. Look at fanseelambs pictures - not a shred of furniture to be seen and a plain background.

Use an off-white wall - try using different lights - I think I already linked you to the lights fansee made which are great for screenshots.

I cannot judge those outfits with those pictures. If you attach the file I can look in my game.
Hi: you know I did say least amount of furniture meaning the model should have free room around him and since it is a living room ,one can not romove all the furniture just to take a few pictures.I have taken plenty of good pictures within a living room. It all depends on where the pictures are taken.I usually had my models standing close to the wall and away from the furnitures. The reason I suggested taking pictures in a room is because outside the light is quite confusing for the focus of the picture and the light comes from all over the place and that is what happens to our friend when he or she is taking her pictures, there is no focus on the model himself instead the light reflcting on the white wall leaves him dark. As a moderator you have never critized my pictures and as a matter of fact given me compliments in the past I remember.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:28 AM
Quote:

I actually used the lights you linked to; I must have either used too many of them or placed them wrong. Should I use the light from above or the light from below? Anyway, I attached a copy of the files (I think I uploaded the right ones).
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip SCSO Uniform.zip (826.6 KB, 18 downloads) - View custom content
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#25 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:04 AM
ok, first of all,sorry for the delay in reply. I was very very busy with Sims4 things for the site. However, I have downloaded the outfit and looked in game. See the pictures:

The first two are yours, front and back, the last one is my very fast and dirty edit (I obliterated the details a bit) - see the colour shift? I also coloured the radio and belt things black, and his shoes.

See how my screenshots are not distorted? That helps a lot, but I think the colour tone on my version is closer to what you are aiming for.

Edited file attached.
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar SCSOUniform.rar (772.4 KB, 29 downloads) - View custom content

Page 1 of 2