Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 4:31 PM
Default Why are there jagged edges in my game!

Everything else looks great, except for the jagged edges on these windows. I had the game in all max settings, and it still showed. I tried tweaking the settings in the Nvidia control panel (antialiasing - setting at 8x, and anisotropic filtering at 8x), and it's still there!

Then realized that setting the game in ultra settings was making my game run kinda slow, so I had to set it to medium-high. But even though the graphics looks good (except for the windows!), it doesn't run as smooth and quick sometimes.

I just don't get it. I can run Sims 3 in very high settings, and I wouldn't have this problem. I thought EA/Maxis said that Sims 4 is gonna run much better than Sims 3...but I guess that's not true?

I just don't get it. Here are my specs:

HELP!!
Advertisement
Stupid people are stupid
#2 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 5:02 PM
I've got the same problem With the same windows. I've noticed in other people's screenshots the same thing with these windows. Other windows and doors are fine.
I'm thinking it's not a problem with the pc, but this particular set of windows.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 5:11 PM
In my case, this happens to a lot of windows. Except for the modern ones. What do you think of my specs? I specifically bought this laptop to play Sims 3 in all high settings, and I thought I would be able to do that with Sims 4 too.
Stupid people are stupid
#4 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whatever
In my case, this happens to a lot of windows. Except for the modern ones. What do you think of my specs? I specifically bought this laptop to play Sims 3 in all high settings, and I thought I would be able to do that with Sims 4 too.

I'd say so. Your specs look fine to me.

Just for added info I'll post my specs as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:30 AM
I've noticed the same thing. And this particular set of windows is the worst. It shows up on some others as well, but it's not quite as noticeable.

My specs for comparison:
GPU: GeForce GT 650M
CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM

edit: I take back what I said, I've gone through pretty much every set of windows in TS4 and most of them have the jagged edges. It looks appalling.

Hi! I'm a pepper and I was wondering if you'd like to be a pepper too.
Stupid people are stupid
#6 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BaronessTrash
I've noticed the same thing. And this particular set of windows is the worst. It shows up on some others as well, but it's not quite as noticeable.

My specs for comparison:
GPU: GeForce GT 650M
CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM

edit: I take back what I said, I've gone through pretty much every set of windows in TS4 and most of them have the jagged edges. It looks appalling.

I really think it's a window (and maybe a door) issue. All our specs are good enough to play the game on high/very high settings.
Maybe that is why we notice it so much.

I wonder if this can be patched.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:47 AM
They certainly do look very out of place when the quality for all other items is noticeably better.

Hi! I'm a pepper and I was wondering if you'd like to be a pepper too.
Stupid people are stupid
#8 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BaronessTrash
They certainly do look very out of place when the quality for all other items is noticeably better.

Yes, When my husband came to look at the house I built he noticed it right away. He was wondering what I did to the game options...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
I think it's a driver issue. Sims 4 is only out for 2 weeks so it may not be optimized yet. Try turning down the 8x settings. I read that's not the best option right now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snooty
I think it's a driver issue. Sims 4 is only out for 2 weeks so it may not be optimized yet. Try turning down the 8x settings. I read that's not the best option right now.

I turned it down to 4x. Would that be alright?
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Bandon : 16th Sep 2014 at 8:47 AM.
Seeing those exact windows up close about a week ago made me check my graphics settings. Nvidia control panel showed "enhance the application setting" at 4. I changed it to "override the application setting" at 8x and the jagged edges got worse. Changed it to 16x and it looked just as bad or worse. A sim standing on the side walk from a distance looked like a sprite from the original Super Mario Bros. The graphics seemed to look best with the least jagged edges at "Application-controlled". Something's not right. Is it the same on everyone else's system too?

Some comparison shots:
Anti-aliasing at 16x on "Override any application setting"

Anti-aliasing on "Application-controlled"

Screenshot zoomed 300%: Anti-aliasing at 16x on "Override any application setting"

Screenshot zoomed 300%: Anti-aliasing on "Application-controlled"
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 1:40 AM
Looks the same in my game. Specs:

Intel i3
AMD Radeon 7700 HD
8GB RAM

All the settings turned up high, everything else looks smooth but the windows. I'm having to use the few ugly ones that aren't heavily lined and it's really making my homes look bad.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 2:02 AM
Yes, I thought this was a known bug (However, not to be confused with a confirmed bug.)
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eRogue
Yes, I thought this was a known bug (However, not to be confused with a confirmed bug.)

Any word on if/when it's likely to be fixed?
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:55 AM
im pretty sure you have to look at the game options and change it
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crackfox
Any word on if/when it's likely to be fixed?

Nope. It's doesn't seem to be an EA-confirmed bug per Compliled List of Bugs
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:35 PM
I'm submitting (to this thread) my confirmation that the in-game "edge smoothing" setting does not affect the inside of some window frames.

Left is "edge smoothing: off". I'm looking at the unaliased white vertical edges, those white-on-red or white-on-grey lines are jagged, of course -- just like the inside green-on-white window frame edges.

Right is "edge smoothing: high". Those white edges are smooth, but the inside window frame edges are still jagged.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 7:00 PM
It's frustrating that no one seems to mention it on the Sims 4 forums. Whenever anyone posts screenshots of their homes, you can see the windows all look very bad. Surely everyone has noticed so that leads me to think the majority of gamers don't care? Very odd indeed. I wish it was something a lot of people were mentioning because I don't think it's going to be fixed without it being drummed into the Guru's that it bothers us.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crackfox
It's frustrating that no one seems to mention it on the Sims 4 forums. Whenever anyone posts screenshots of their homes, you can see the windows all look very bad. Surely everyone has noticed so that leads me to think the majority of gamers don't care? Very odd indeed. I wish it was something a lot of people were mentioning because I don't think it's going to be fixed without it being drummed into the Guru's that it bothers us.

Actually, almost nothing will be fixed via official forum. It has to go though Answer HQ. That is what we learned from SimCity.
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:57 AM
I asked a Sim Guru about the windows problem earlier and she said this in response;

Quote:
What I've noticed during my gameplay is that on my work computer (really nice graphics card/graphics setting defaults to "Ultra") the edges of my windows and doors are smooth. On my home computer (the graphics card isn't as craze amaze as my work one/setting defaults to high) the edges are a bit jagged. I can ask a build producer what they think but I would check to see if your graphics card can handle the Ultra setting. Let me know what you find. If you're on Ultra and seeing jagged edges that might be a bug.

Needless to say i'm not satisfied with that answer. My graphics card is decent and I explained that everything else looked smooth on the highest settings so I don't know why she brought up the graphics card capability but regardless should we really have to settle for gross jagged windows if we don't have the very best card on the market, if everything else looks great on the highest setting, those should too. I wish i'd asked the build mode guru, she was only for animation so she probably didn't really know what to say but I hope she mentions it to the others.

I'm just hoping some talented modders will find a way to fix them or just make us some good ones.
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DaniCast
If the problem is your graphic card there isn't a mod in the world that can fix the issue. What's your graphic card?

It's not my graphics card. Look at the other posts above. People have posted their great specs along with pictures of the windows looking terrible.

My graphics card is AMD Radeon 7700HD. Not the best card but definitely not a bad one. It can run the game on ultra settings and everything but the windows look fantastic.
Test Subject
#24 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:39 AM
Well maybe it is graphics card specific but be that as it may, enough of the customers are having this issue which means it's pretty much a bug on their end. Still, doesn't look like they care to acknowledge it right now. Shame, oh well i'll just have to continue using the few windows that aren't heavily lined and therefore don't looked jaggy (shame that those windows are ugly in general though)
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 5:03 PM
I suspect the problem with the window is related to the type of window. The struts are painted only on the transparent surface. Multisampling-Antialiasing don't work here. Here is an antialiasing as Supersampling-AA required, that alpha-channel textures also smoothes (alpha-channel textures a textures with transparency). But supersampling AA requires a lot of power. In addition, you can not force it in every game in the driver.

Sorry for my bad english
Page 1 of 2