Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Star Wars Wallpaper

by Snaitf Posted 6th Oct 2014 at 9:20 PM - Updated 17th Oct 2014 at 12:22 PM by Snaitf

31 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 17 Feedback Posts, 13 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 11:13 PM
Very cool. Thank you! (Particularly for the warning about how much if a PITA this is at this point .. makes it all the more impressive! =)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 12:19 AM
how did you do ? Is it complicated? anyway i like
Scholar
THANKS POST
#4 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 3:18 AM
wonderful !!!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#5 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 6:12 AM
I like this texture
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 8:10 AM
Well Done...

I have been working for days now trying to figure this out you just saved me a lot of time... If you have skype PLEASE give me a shout I would love to ask you a couple quick questions.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 10:46 AM
THANK YOU !

Please ! can you explain how you make this ? I have really really need more walls covering...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 1:19 PM
Awesome wallpaper! and Congrats on making the first one! (can I get this wallpaper in real life though... cause I really want it now...)
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yoshi86
Awesome wallpaper! and Congrats on making the first one! (can I get this wallpaper in real life though... cause I really want it now...)

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/1970s...CFVNk7AodAUsA0w
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 2:07 PM
Great job! Hope you will make a Tut for us! Please can you say which tools did you use!
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matomibotaki
Great job! Hope you will make a Tut for us! Please can you say which tools did you use!

S4PE, a hex editor (HxD), and PhotoShop
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
S4PE, a hex editor (HxD), and PhotoShop

excuse me, I am never make cc for sims 4 and I wonder what is the hex editor. what should I change with this software?
thanks in advance.

P.S : a tut will be great for a noob like me.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 11:07 PM
This is cool, I liked your wallpaper very much! ) I made my own tho, i hope you're not mad, here's an image of it: http://imgur.com/dmZv1Fr
Is Claeric
#14 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 5:02 AM
Quote:
NOTE: I'm not taking requests or making a tutorial for new wall coverings, as they are a bit of a PITA.

This is a running theme in your uploads. "NOTE: I refuse to help the rest of the community figure out how to do these things."

A bit selfish?
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simify
This is a running theme in your uploads. "NOTE: I refuse to help the rest of the community figure out how to do these things."

A bit selfish?

Are you joking? I've posted tutorials on creating non-default skin tones and terrain paints, and I answer questions through PMs all the time. The sad fact is, if I don't make it sound hard to do, everyone asks me how to do it. Even those that don't even know what hex editing or s4pe is at all, people that have clearly not even tried to start teaching themselves.. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to personally teach every person that wants to make a new wall how to use a computer. If someone wants to ask me a technical question, after having already started trying on their own, that I think might actually be able to do it, I'll help.

P.S. - I have shared all the information I've gathered with tool makers, so they can produce tools to allow the layman to do stuff like this, it just takes some patience, the game has only been out a little over a month now.
Eminence Grise
#16 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 6:32 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 8th Oct 2014 at 6:51 AM.
Just to clarify: Snaitf has done a lot of sharing. Some of it is public, some is behind the scenes, but he is not keeping secrets.

Pretty much up to him HOW he chooses to share what he finds out.

BTW, a lot of players seem to think that writing a tutorial is trivial once you know how to do something. Sometimes writing the tutorial is just as hard as figuring out the technique in the first place; writing one that a general user (one with no programming or modding experience) can use is much much harder than writing one for technical users. And, more to the point, writing a tut takes a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SKILLSET than the skillset required to actually do the modding. That's why the best tuts are usually not written by the researchers (like Snaitf) or the tool people.

Rest assured, the method that Snaitf used to make the wall is out in the world; there will be tuts, and tools. Just not right away, and it's not his personal resonsibility to produce it all.

The biggest "secret" to any modding technique, btw, is hiding in plain sight: it's the mod file itself. Nothing preventing anybody from looking at exactly what he did and inferring how he did it. That's how skilled modders learn from each other.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 11:47 AM
P.S. - I have shared all the information I've gathered with tool makers, so they can produce tools to allow the layman to do stuff like this, it just takes some patience, the game has only been out a little over a month now.

I figured you did! Thank-you!

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 1:20 PM
Star Wars isn't my thing so I'll pass on this. BUT- thank you, Snaitf for figuring out how this is done! Also, thank you for sharing what you know- either publicly or behind the scenes. It's something you don't have to do and I, for one, am grateful that you do share your knowledge.

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The biggest "secret" to any modding technique, btw, is hiding in plain sight: it's the mod file itself. Nothing preventing anybody from looking at exactly what he did and inferring how he did it. That's how skilled modders learn from each other.

Agree 110% with that. I've torn so many other creator's stuff apart over the years it's not funny- and that's how I've learned a lot of what I know. Sometimes you need a bit more than a tutorial and actually seeing how something was done helps more than written words.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 2:02 PM
Well I just found out about three people are making a wrapper for the wall catalog resource and I too am in the middle of one. Is there no one who can coordinate all this so we don't all waste our time doing the same work?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well I just found out about three people are making a wrapper for the wall catalog resource and I too am in the middle of one. Is there no one who can coordinate all this so we don't all waste our time doing the same work?

Well, like I told Grant, I don't know everything about the wall files, only enough to do what I did. I am willing to help however I can though. I would think that to make it as efficient as possible, you, Grant and CircusWolf should all get into a chat room together and share info. I'm sure by this point, you all know more about it than I do.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#21 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 6:13 PM
Ok I have completed the s4pi wrapper. Kuree will update the repo. If you like, I can let you have the dill in the meantime

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 9:33 PM
I thank you all who are working on making wallpapers and rugs for our game, I am just so happy some of you are doing this for us, I need new beautiful wallpapers and rugs so bad. I use to make these items for Sims 1 and Sims 2 but then my life began to fall apart, lost my Husband to Cancer and I got Cancer and dealt with it. I never did get into making things for Sims 3 and not able to for Sims 4 so I do know how much work goes into this and I so appreciate you all that are doing this. Love to you all.
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 4:17 PM
http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/1970s...CFVNk7AodAUsA0w

click it and I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /p/1970s-Vintage-New-Star-Wars-Wallpaper-52598433.html on this server.

Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at www.righttoolusa.com Port 80
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 4:23 PM
That link works fine for me.

Quote: Originally posted by Scarity

A bit selfish?

So, what exactly have you done to help the community accomplish anything? By the looks of it, you're in no position to complain here.

Also, what everybody else said

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
#25 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 1:57 AM
This is awesome! I have been recoloring cas parts like crazy. Using s4pe I found all the different files that I needed to recolor in this in order to make my own wall. I know you're not doing tutorials or anything but I just have a question about putting multiple recolors into the same package. With the CAS parts there's all kinds of programs you can use to do this in a pretty automated way like Sims 4 Studio and Color Magic. They obviously won't work for a file like this though. Is there already a tutorial somewhere or is it something you can explain fairly quickly (don't need pics or anything like that) on how I can add the other recolors to the same package with s4pe? Would it be as simple as duplicating the swatches and the wall itself and replacing the duplicates with the other colors or are there additional steps like editing some of the resource info? If it's too long for someone to explain to me I'll be patient and just make 20 different packages for now.
Page 1 of 2