Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Tweaked Age Lengths (v3)

by Dark Gaia Posted 12th Oct 2014 at 8:13 PM - Updated 7th Apr 2015 at 11:49 AM by Dark Gaia

66 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 26 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 10:43 PM
THANK you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 10:49 PM
I wonder, why didn't you change the lifespan of children and teenagers?
Do you plan on adding them in the future in a alternate version?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 11:11 PM
Thank you for this! I made some further adjustments to the age spans to suit my own gameplay style, but I'm so happy you released this so I didn't have to go hunting for the appropriate file!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 12:21 AM
THANK YOU! It always feels like a race against time once they hit the YA stage and this will be so much nicer. You rock!
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 12:55 AM
Ty for the upload been waiting for a mod like this since the game came out

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:08 AM
Hi everyone. I'm glad you're finding the mod useful. I originally made it for personal use only as the aging in TS4 was really bugging me, but I thought I would upload it here as well. I only modified the YA, Adult and Elder stages because I felt these were the only stages that were too short. I never had a problem with the Child or Teen stages, but I would be happy to make additional flavours of the mod addressing these life stages if people want them.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:33 AM
Hey there, quick question. In my game I had been playing on Long lifespan, then I saw your mod and adapted it, setting the Adult span to 48 & the Teen span to 28 (among changes to the other age spans as well). I entered my household and changed the overall lifespan to Normal. Everything looked good, the two teens had 20 and 22 days left each and the two adults had 32 and 33 days each. Then, after several sim-days of play, both of the adults lost all of their autonomy, and could no longer prepare food. Also, they both stopped using the front door house when re-entering the house. On the off-chance that there was a conflict with the newest mod I'd added, I quit and removed the age span mod and re-loaded the game and lot. Suddenly everyone's autonomy was back, but both adults and the older teen lost all the days they had left in their current ages, forcing immediate age-ups. Any idea why the mod would have this effect while installed & upon removal? Were there any values I should have changed other than the numerals in the age_transition_threshold tags? Any advice is most appreciated!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:42 AM
Hi. The numerals in the age_transition_threshold tags are the only things I changed myself, so there shouldn't be anything else that needs to be changed. The transition_warning tags only determine when you get the aging up warning ("It's Sim X's birthday soon!") and the only other variables are traits, buffs etc that shouldn't have any effect on the aging threshold. So you should be fine there.

The mod shouldn't affect autonomy at all as this mod (and your adaptation of it) only touches the Aging XML, which doesn't have anything related to autonomy. I haven't encountered this problem myself, but I have only played a few Sim days with the mod installed. Is it possible that the autonomy just became bugged and reloading the game fixed it? What happens if you put the mod back in? I ask this because I remember having an issue in my game a while ago where my Sims lost the ability to use their phones. I thought it was a mod causing the issue, but it turned out the game was just bugged and a cache refresh and reload later it was fine.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 5:24 AM
This is just what I was looking for, thank you very much for making this.
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 6:12 AM
Thank you my SIM just died and didn't get to finish her goals - I thought her life span was much too short. I was hoping someone would make something like this.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 10:08 AM
Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 10:57 AM
Thank you I've been looking for this. It's such a daunting task trawling through all the files in S4PE, I'm glad you beat me to it
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 1:02 PM
Thank you very much, this mod was really needed! Especially since EA broke the aging off option, the game became unplayable for my style of playing. I adapted the setting in your mod multiplying each age by 100, Hope this will give me enough time to play my fav families before them all will die waiting for developers to fix the bug. THANK SOOO MUCH!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 1:23 PM
perfect!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:50 PM
I was hoping someone would make an age mod. BUT.... I would like it different. I always like to play on long lifespans but on Sims 4, it's a bit too long. Over 50 days for a teen and 80 for adults!

I would love to have child and teens around 30 days and (young) adult around 50-60 days.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 6:27 PM
just what i was waiting for. I love my sims to have a long a life as possible. thank you x
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#18 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 9:15 PM
I've been waiting for a mod like this.
I'd love to play with the agespans I made for sims 2 and now I can.
Do you mind me uploading this altered agespan so it matches my Realistic Ages projects?
I will give you credit of course for the original file.

Thanks again for this great mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 9:46 PM
Good
Scholar
THANKS POST
#20 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:58 PM
This is an useful mod. The default is way too short. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 12:32 AM
After my last post last night, I re-edited the file to make the Elder stage a bit shorter than I originally made it, and restarted the game. Now, previously, with the mod installed, restarting the game did not fix the autonomy issues until I removed the mod entirely. With the newly edited version installed, autonomy returned, but I am still experiencing a little weirdness with the 3 sims in my household who have aged past the original number of days for their current ages.

It turns out that the autonomy issues I was originally experiencing only occurred after my Adult sims aged past the original 20 day mark that would have turned them into Elders. Now I have 3 sims who have stayed in their current ages (2 Adult, 1 Teen) longer than the original age lengths would have allowed, and during the last day I played, at the hour that the game would normally age them up, they all magically changed into their formalwear - as if the game wanted to force a party scenario or something. After standing around like zombies for about half a sim-hour, they all autonomously carried on taking care of themselves, so at least that issue hasn't returned. It does, however, appear that there is some other code in the game outside of this file - or at least outside of the values that we have both altered - that wants to force an age-up scenario once a sim has outlived the original number of days allotted to each age. I'll report back if I notice any more weirdness.

For the record, the spans I set in my version are:

Baby: 6
Child: 24
Teen: 28
YA: 38
Adult: 48
Elder: 28
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 4:35 AM
I also re-edited the file with my own preference of numbers. Thanks so much, by the way! I've been waiting for this since the game first launched- this and story progression. I'll report back if I notice anything strange.

For anyone who is wondering how to edit the numbers to your liking, you can open this package (or any other) with the sims 4 package editor. http://sims4group.github.io/ Since Dark Gaia has so kindly found and uploaded the files for us, all you have to do is right click on the package once you open it in the package editor and select "notepad." It should open up a notepad file where you can edit the document. Find all the instances of the age "age_threshold" that you want to change and change it to the number you desire. At least, that's the theory for now!

@jenny- Did you try clearing your cache files between different versions of the mod (or other mods?) I know cache files could cause problems in TS3. Also, do we know the situation with the unpackedmods folder? The instructions still say we should use it, but some people say the issue has been fixed. Could that be causing any bugs? Over and out.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 5:59 AM
To everyone who would like to upload a new version of the file, please go ahead. As I said, I made this for my own personal use and it's tuned to my personal preference. Please feel free to alter it and make your own tuning if you wish.

Based on Jenny's findings above however, I would suggest there is a hard coded limit to how long you can set each age. I haven't encountered any problems with the tuning I have uploaded, but exceedingly long age lengths may break the autonomy.

@jenny: I'll look into it today some more, but I have a feeling where the problem may lie -- each age stage has a hidden buff associated with it that defines the interactions available to that age stage. I'm guessing this buff has a tunable expiration time, which probably coincides with the default age lengths. When the buff expires, the game assumes the Sim is ready to age up, and reacts accordingly. At least, that's the theory. I'd have to hunt through the Buffs xmls to find these values though.

That said, I did play some more last night and I haven't encountered the problem you reported above. I had a YA Sim who was 3 days from Adult before I had the mod installed. I've since played for 4 days, which would push him over that threshold, but he still appears to be functioning normally. He was at work at the hour when he would have normally aged up though, so maybe that accounts for something?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 8:42 AM
I also edited the mod with my own preferences, and I'm testing to see if I encounter any autonomy issues or other weirdness. So far so good and I'm about to have a teen age up to adult. Mine is:

Baby - 2
Child - 20
Teen - 15
YA - 40
Adult - 40
Elder - 20
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#25 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 8:43 AM
I neglected to post a thanks to Dark Gaia for figuring this out. So here it is!
Page 1 of 3