Replies: 65 (Who?), Viewed: 15161 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 9:37 AM
Default WallEz -- Support thread
Please tell us how to make the wallpaper? I make three sizes (256 x1024, 256x768 and 256x512), save as DDS, and what's next? (Excuse my bad english )
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:16 AM
I've got one small question, or I think it's small..
I've got no experience using XMl files, but I do understand most of the example in the pdf file.
My only question is how to connect the DDS files to the XML file. Do I need to copy paste only the name of my DDS files into the XML file or the whole "C:/ *** " url. Or do I have to place the DDS files in the same folder as the XML file and the programm will do the rest?

Hope someone can explain.

OR is it al lot more difficult?

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Instructor
#3 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 1:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakie
I've got one small question, or I think it's small..
I've got no experience using XMl files, but I do understand most of the example in the pdf file.
My only question is how to connect the DDS files to the XML file. Do I need to copy paste only the name of my DDS files into the XML file or the whole "C:/ *** " url. Or do I have to place the DDS files in the same folder as the XML file and the programm will do the rest?

Hope someone can explain.

OR is it al lot more difficult?


The easiest way is to have the 3 .dds files in the same folder as the xml file and just the bare name of the dds files pasted into the xml.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by granthes
The easiest way is to have the 3 .dds files in the same folder as the xml file and just the bare name of the dds files pasted into the xml.


Thank you for answering, I'm going to find out if I can make it work. Never done anything like this before but I like learning new things.

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:19 PM
@granthes do you happen to know how the game decides which textures to apply on corners? Poking at the game files this weekend, I couldn't find anything =/

(If you look at siding for instance, there is an obvious differnce between wood siding with thite trim, and wood/brick siding with white trim -- try applying that to a 1xN room if you don't know what I mean)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 4:57 PM
It worked!

First time trying I got an error while making the package, I think it's because I used ")" and "?" in the code or because I forgot to put ".dds" behind the texture names.
So I tried it again and ended in game with this:


It's far from perfect, but it works! Now I have to get rid of the lines. Maybe use clone stamp or something.
Thanks for this awesome tool! And if somebody has any tips or tricks, please let me know.

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#7 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 7:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakie
Now I have to get rid of the lines. Maybe use clone stamp or something.
Thanks for this awesome tool! And if somebody has any tips or tricks, please let me know.


I'm not sure about other image software, but in Photo Shop, it's fairly easy to get rid of the lines (seams).

First, load your image, then go to Filter-Other-Offset
Leave vertical at 0, and make horizontal half of your image's width (128 for walls).

What this does is 'wrap' you image around the edges, so you can see what it will look like when tiled.
You should see your seam running right down the middle of your texture.

Then use whatever kind of tools you want to get rid of the seam (i.e. smoothing, eraser, etc).

Then go back to Filter-Other-Offset and this time set the horizontal to the negative of your image's width (-128 for walls).
This will reset the wrapping back to its original state.

Now when the walls are placed next to each other, the seams should be gone.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaitf
I'm not sure about other image software, but in Photo Shop, it's fairly easy to get rid of the lines (seams).

First, load your image, then go to Filter-Other-Offset
Leave vertical at 0, and make horizontal half of your image's width (128 for walls).

What this does is 'wrap' you image around the edges, so you can see what it will look like when tiled.
You should see your seam running right down the middle of your texture.

Then use whatever kind of tools you want to get rid of the seam (i.e. smoothing, eraser, etc).

Then go back to Filter-Other-Offset and this time set the horizontal to the negative of your image's width (-128 for walls).
This will reset the wrapping back to its original state.

Now when the walls are placed next to each other, the seams should be gone.


That sounds simple indeed!
I just made the canvas 1x as width and was using the clone stamp to make the seams go away, but it still doesn't work and it's a lot of work with the different layers and copy pasting the left and right cloned side of the wall.

I'm going to use offset as you said. I let you know if it worked!
Thanks for your help!

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 9:40 PM
Yeah! it worked!
(Picked a more detailed texture then the concrete wall)




Thank you very very much Snaitf!

And also managed to make a second swatch. :D



Going to upload it right away

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#10 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakie
Yeah! it worked!
(Picked a more detailed texture then the concrete wall)

Thank you very very much Snaitf!

And also managed to make a second swatch. :D

Going to upload it right away


Well done, glad I could help.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 10:50 PM
never modded before....I see that this makes wall patterns....would this also work to make paintings from jpg's? Or is that going to be some other completely different program?
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:11 PM
After I create this can I just open the package in S4PE and replace the swatches there with the custom swatch images I've created?
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickai
never modded before....I see that this makes wall patterns....would this also work to make paintings from jpg's? Or is that going to be some other completely different program?


I think this program will only be made for wall coverings, floor and terrain paints.
But there are definitely going to be programs for that such things too. You can also made Clothing recolors already. You can use a program like ColorMagic in combination with S4PE for that for example.

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#14 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrewer367
After I create this can I just open the package in S4PE and replace the swatches there with the custom swatch images I've created?


Unfortunately, no, I don't think this will work. As the swatches are simply defined by the color codes, there is no actual image to replace. I'm not even sure if catalog stuff can have custom swatch images, but if they can, I would have no idea which part of which file refers to them. Maybe someone smarter than me will figure it out.
Instructor
#15 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaitf
Unfortunately, no, I don't think this will work. As the swatches are simply defined by the color codes, there is no actual image to replace. I'm not even sure if catalog stuff can have custom swatch images, but if they can, I would have no idea which part of which file refers to them. Maybe someone smarter than me will figure it out.


That's what I thought someone was going to say. I opened it up in S4PE but nothing looked like the thumbs in other files. I'll take what I can get for now though!
Test Subject
#16 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 1:26 AM
I can´t make it work, i have a problem with my xml text file, and i can´t find the error , can anybody help me please, i just do all as in the pdf but it doen´t work anyway
Eminence Grise
#17 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 1:29 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 14th Oct 2014 at 1:57 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrewer367
After I create this can I just open the package in S4PE and replace the swatches there with the custom swatch images I've created?


Yeah... I think Grant went with the solid swatches because that is ALL EA uses for walls and floors.

There may be a way to get image swatches to work; if somebody figures it out I'm sure he can update WallEz to support it

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisita
I can´t make it work, i have a problem with my xml text file, and i can´t find the error , can anybody help me please, i just do all as in the pdf but it doen´t work anyway


Paste your XML file in your post, and we'll try to figure it out.

Also, let us know what error WallEz gives you... you can take a screenshot of the DOS window before you close it
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 1:40 AM
Thank you very much here is a pic of the error



its says "a name can not start with the character ´<´ , hexadecimal value 0x3C. line 8 position 4"

and here is my xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package Creator="marisita" Filename="dottedwall">
<Wall Price="2" Name="dots" Description="wallpaper">
<Tag Type="Color" Value="Pink"/>
<Tag Type="Style" Value="Wallpaper"/>
<Swatch Top="#ffc0cb" Middle="#ffc0cb" Bottom="#ffc0cb"

<TextureShort Filename="shortdot.dds"/>
<TextureMedium Filename="mediumdot.dds"/>
<TextureTall Filename="talldot.dds"/>
</Wall>
</Package>

Again thank you very much, and sorry about my english.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#19 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 1:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisita

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package Creator="marisita" Filename="dottedwall">
<Wall Price="2" Name="dots" Description="wallpaper">
<Tag Type="Color" Value="Pink"/>
<Tag Type="Style" Value="Wallpaper"/>
<Swatch Top="#ffc0cb" Middle="#ffc0cb" Bottom="#ffc0cb"/>

<TextureShort Filename="shortdot.dds"/>
<TextureMedium Filename="mediumdot.dds"/>
<TextureTall Filename="talldot.dds"/>
</Wall>
</Package>


You are missing the /> at the end of Swatch Top line
Instructor
#20 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 1:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisita
Thank you very much here is a pic of the error



its says "a name can not start with the character ´<´ , hexadecimal value 0x3C. line 8 position 4"

and here is my xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package Creator="marisita" Filename="dottedwall">
<Wall Price="2" Name="dots" Description="wallpaper">
<Tag Type="Color" Value="Pink"/>
<Tag Type="Style" Value="Wallpaper"/>
<Swatch Top="#ffc0cb" Middle="#ffc0cb" Bottom="#ffc0cb"

<TextureShort Filename="shortdot.dds"/>
<TextureMedium Filename="mediumdot.dds"/>
<TextureTall Filename="talldot.dds"/>
</Wall>
</Package>

Again thank you very much, and sorry about my english.


The issue you are seeing is that you've missed a /> on the end of the Swatch line.

<Swatch Top="#ffc0cb" Middle="#ffc0cb" Bottom="#ffc0cb" />

Once you have that, it should work for you.

--Grant

PS. Sorry for the double answer... HL seems to have posted while I was too

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Test Subject
#21 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
You are missing the /> at the end of Swatch Top line


Can you please help me too!
I know my english is very bad, sorry, would I speak better, you could not stop me asking!!!
Very new with xml-coding and I made one for a new wallpaper but my package after creating and useing the tool, is empty!
Can not find the mistake I made!

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package Creator="matomibotaki" Filename="MB-WallpaperOne">
<Wall Price="1" Name="MB-WallpaperOne" Description="Wallpaper">
<Tag Type="Color" Value="Red"/>
<Tag Type="Style" Value="Wallpaper"/>
<Swatch Top="#ff0000" Middle="#00ff00" Bottom="#0000ff"/>
<TextureShort Filename="c"/>
<TextureMedium Filename="b"/>
<TextureTall Filename="a"/>
</Wall>
</Package>

The sizes of the dds is like yours!
Please take a look!!!
Thank you!!!
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#22 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matomibotaki
Can you please help me too!
I know my english is very bad, sorry, would I speak better, you could not stop me asking!!!
Very new with xml-coding and I made one for a new wallpaper but my package after creating and useing the tool, is empty!
Can not find the mistake I made!

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package Creator="matomibotaki" Filename="MB-WallpaperOne">
<Wall Price="1" Name="MB-WallpaperOne" Description="Wallpaper">
<Tag Type="Color" Value="Red"/>
<Tag Type="Style" Value="Wallpaper"/>
<Swatch Top="#ff0000" Middle="#00ff00" Bottom="#0000ff"/>
<TextureShort Filename="c"/>
<TextureMedium Filename="b"/>
<TextureTall Filename="a"/>
</Wall>
</Package>

The sizes of the dds is like yours!
Please take a look!!!
Thank you!!!


You're very first line is missing the < character at the beginning, although that could just be a copy/paste mistake.

Also, your filenames don't have their extensions, should be a.dds, b.dds, c.dds
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaitf
You're very first line is missing the < character at the beginning, although that could just be a copy/paste mistake.

Also, your filenames don't have their extensions, should be a.dds, b.dds, c.dds


WOW, you are so fast in answering!!! Big thank you for your great help!!!
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 11:47 AM Last edited by marisita : 14th Oct 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
You are missing the /> at the end of Swatch Top line


Thank you very much, i will try again today, because yesterday the light was cut in my house . Thank you very much!!!!!!

Granthes thank you very much!!!!

All of you´re very kind
Test Subject
#25 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matomibotaki
WOW, you are so fast in answering!!! Big thank you for your great help!!!


It worked fine now and my wallpaper looks great!!! Thank you soooooooooo much!!!
Page 1 of 3
Back to top