Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#5576 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 8:37 PM
Sometimes I think that Maxis made their houses purposely bad just to be annoying. Kind of like how they made the nannies not all that great at nannying. Otherwise, I can't account for their designs. Why do so many of their houses have bedrooms too small to accommodate a double bed?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#5577 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Sometimes I think that Maxis made their houses purposely bad just to be annoying.

"I'm pretty sure LilSimsie is paying EA to make bad builds just so she can renovate them"

The weird thing is, the things that make maxis houses so weird and annoying are sometimes the things that are pretty much impossible to replicate! Have you tried to rebuild the roof on the Smith house at the part where those two windows stick out on the second floor? Or build the Pleasant house's roof from scratch? It's pretty much impossible! How they managed to make such bad design choices is just beyond me!

And what makes it even worse is that some houses, like the Goth mansion, the Capp manor (not the garden but the house itself), and Olive's house are actually really well designed, while others pretty much struggle existing at times.
Field Researcher
#5578 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:54 PM
Sims constantly using the back door instead of the front door... is why is I always lock the back door.
Mad Poster
#5579 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
Sims constantly using the back door instead of the front door... is why is I always lock the back door.

I just sell the front door and buy exact same at it's place. Sims will start use this as newest door.
Field Researcher
#5580 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 4:14 AM
I knew there was some kind of trick, but I forgot what it was. I'll have to try that.
Forum Resident
#5581 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 4:27 AM
Or you can just have one access point, the front door or 2 front doors. That's why when I build my buildings, I put front door(s) only so sims have no choice but to use the front enterence(s).
Forum Resident
#5582 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 5:20 AM
Why is the BV camera view so off-center? Why not center it on the game screen? It makes no sense to be off to the left like it is, and it just makes it harder to try to center the camera when all the orientation functions center on the game screen.
Mad Poster
#5583 Old 4th Jul 2020 at 4:24 PM
I've managed to add back doors to houses and even built apartments with secondary doors for entry and exit in my own scratch builds which was how I started with designing apartments because I knew the EA ones were so badly designed that it was far easier to build my own from scratch.I made my own apartment buildings to be much cheaper than owning a house for lower wealth sims and also for the low income crowd and have many designs that are fully subsidized including boarding houses that can house the most hard up families.
One other thing that always bothered me was not being able to have my sims eat anything for dinner back when I didn't have all of the packs and they had no cooking skill which meant owning no stove and the dinner aoptions required some skill at the very least as well as many needed a stove which meant unskilled cooks could only grab instant meal drinks without a hack to let all meal options be fixed at all mealtimes.I wished I had that hack in back then as it would've saved some sim lives after a few starved to death by going to bed hungry.
Alchemist
#5584 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 4:34 AM
Well there's always pizza and gelatin. Plus cereal for breakfast. But if a poor sim is really desperate they can always go to a community lot and try stealing a townie's food when they order a meal. It's only fair--they do it to playables all the time.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
#5585 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 9:00 AM
There is also prepare - group meal or single plate, which let's you pick any meal, any time. I'm not sure which expansion it is, it would make sense with both Free Time cooking contests and Open for business shops.
Field Researcher
#5586 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 9:56 AM
You know, I don't like the Maxis Sim Bin families. The same ones (with a few exceptions) are in every neighborhood and you can't just delete them, because corruption. Normally I leave them there, but they show up as work friends that you can't call because they don't have a phone. And they never age, of course, unless you play them.
Mad Poster
#5587 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 12:36 PM
^ You can get the empty stealth hood templates that remove the bin families (for new hoods).
Mad Poster
#5588 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 6:25 PM Last edited by Annaminna : 5th Jul 2020 at 6:45 PM.
You know, I don't like the Maxis Sim Bin families. The same ones (with a few exceptions) are in every neighborhood and you can't just delete them, because corruption. Normally I leave them there, but they show up as work friends that you can't call because they don't have a phone. And they never age, of course, unless you play them.

How to not add bin families when you create new hood: https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/123004.html

Note: If you want still tourists and hotel NPCs but not Traveller family, remove only 3 first characters in V001 Characters folder: V001_User00000, V001_User00001 and V001_User00002 -these are Travellers. backup your original folder at first.
Forum Resident
#5589 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enebya
There is also prepare - group meal or single plate, which let's you pick any meal, any time. I'm not sure which expansion it is, it would make sense with both Free Time cooking contests and Open for business shops.

The Make.../Make Many... meal options came with Open For Business. Thanks to that, I ditched my Breakfast at Midnight mod.
Mad Poster
#5590 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 3:46 AM
@SIMposiast -I've still got that breakfast at midnight Mod in my game and have UC so I would have all expansion features even if some aren't enabled like downtown because I'm not ready or like shopping districts because my town hasn't grown big enough in population for another neighborhood to be added to it yet.I've also got tons of custom foods and meals to prepare that don't need stoves or cooking skill which helps the newbies a lot.
Forum Resident
#5591 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 1:59 PM
The Oldies shouldn't be alive at the start of the game. They're boring to play, and their sole existence makes the whole thing with Mary-Sue's age inconsistent. You mean to tell me that this couple around the age of 60-70 has a daughter who's also in her 50s?? Even if they were high school sweethearts, they literally adopted a baby at the age of 20?? And if they adopt another child (because playing just the two of them is so boring), that child and Mary-Sue would have like a 40-50 year gap??

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't talk about (digital??) people like this, but I always dislike playing with them, and only realize I could just make them townies when it's too late. Especially now, they adopted Clive who I really don't like (he's ugly and like I said Mary-Sue's adoptive brother with a 50 year difference), so I can't just turn them into townies or kill them off like nothing ever happened.
#5592 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 3:05 PM
sugoisama, I understand. I don't have anything against elders but I don't like elders that are made in CAS. I am not even that fond of adults that are made in CAS. I'm not sure if the Oldies were made as elders, but their story development seems like it. I have grown very fond of a lot of the founding families I made for my town, but not all of them. I love raising Simmies from babies - it gives them much more time to develop personalities and stories. When you make an adult or elder in CAS, you have to work much harder to develop their place in the game.
Mad Poster
#5593 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 4:14 PM
I love the challenge of coming up with a backstory for my town founders and the stories of the first generation develope as they are growing up in the town and as they strike out on their own to start their families.I might have elders in there to become service sims like nannies and maids living with the sims and who are fully playable.
Forum Resident
#5594 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 10:40 PM
I have elders in my game but I keep the number down to 3 or 4 as not to be annoying like they are in sims 4 where elders are flippin EVERYWHERE and the game keeps generating more. At least in sims 2 I have complete control if elders would be in my game or not. They are there but not as annoyances, but mainly for background sims on community lots.
Mad Poster
#5595 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 12:45 AM
The fact that the floor-to-ceiling glass pane windows are COMPLETELY transparent in neighborhood view... it makes a lot of my skyscrapers look much more fragile and insubstantial than they should.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#5596 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
The fact that the floor-to-ceiling glass pane windows are COMPLETELY transparent in neighborhood view... it makes a lot of my skyscrapers look much more fragile and insubstantial than they should.

Oh, those bloody lot impostors will be the death of us all, one day. I will say though, that your lots tend to look better than most while in NH view Perhaps the amount of detail distracts us from EA's awful graphics.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#5597 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
Oh, those bloody lot impostors will be the death of us all, one day. I will say though, that your lots tend to look better than most while in NH view Perhaps the amount of detail distracts us from EA's awful graphics.

Glad to hear you like my lot impostors (at least to the extent that liking impostors is possible!) I do try to make sure my lots look good in both lot view and neighborhood view (part of the reason I tend to shy away from too much CFE work), so it's good to know that it's working (at least to some extent!)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#5598 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:36 PM
I was annoyed to find that I didn't have an updated boardinghouse apartment lot fully updated for my newer games and had to start working on fixing that with new hacked items and career rewards placed in common areas.
Alchemist
#5599 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 7:52 PM

In case they're already in your hood (and it sounds like they are, from the above), you can call bin sims using BoilingOil's Phones for All.

With FT you can age up townies--though sims aging from kid to teen will need to be summoned over and have their aspirations fixed and you'll have to summon over elders, too, when it's time for them to die.

Otherwise, there are some experimental mods you can use to age up non-playables:
1. AncientHighway's NPC Aging. I believe the version linked to (dated 4/9/2010) is the latest version: "Every day, any non-playable character on the active lot, residential or community, will age at 6pm, just as playables would at home." (Note: does conflict with BoilingOil's Slow Aging Controller.)

2. Syberspunk's Grow Up Townies

3. Biorithmus by XPTL (link to XPTL's archive in my siggy). The Biorithmus seems to be a configurable mod with different parts that can do different things, so make sure to read any read mes/text files included.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
#5600 Old 9th Jul 2020 at 2:40 AM
The process of switching between SC4 and TS2 thousands of times just to make your hood layout perfect. If only we could place roads and lots while playing TS2.
Page 224 of 274