Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
Lol that is pretty funny.

And I know the Sims is a game and not real life, but something about dogs and cats working in pay jobs seems strange to me, ( even worse, Fido's situation where he financially supports his lazy unemployed family Lmao!)
It'd be nice if they didn't get paid at all, so it's more a volunteer service.
I do like the idea of the pets joining careers that go along with their Owner's jobs like they together work in security or showbiz/entertainment that's pretty cute.

There's another funny one when they get demoted that says something along the lines of 'the shame of demotion is bad, but the cut in pay is even worse'

Like I said I think it's just the sincerity of the words, imagining the poor dog being so sincere about their job is endearing and hilarious at the same time. My sim pets are all very well loved, but even more so if they contribute majorly to the family funds - I make sure they get lots of love after coming home from work, and have all the upgraded pet items (after all, it's the pet's wages so they should benefit from the money!)

Bustin' Out!
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 9:31 PM
I just don't do them, I have no opinion
Meet Me In My Next Life
#28 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 9:35 PM Last edited by Simonut : 14th Nov 2014 at 12:17 AM.
No and more no, I just want my Pets to live a cat and dog life, and take over the Sims home by acting Crazy, and have my dogs run and bite all the townies that walk- by like Goopy.

I have a pet that have a "Doofus" personality ( meaning a few button missing in the brains ) some are just plain lazy would not want to have a pet job. Then my "Genius" pets are very smart, so smart that they know not to work.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 10:22 AM
I have a sim in the law enforcement career whose German Shepard is in the accompanying security career.... But this is the only time I've used a pet career! They're such a novelty.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 10:53 AM
Every once in a while I let my pets get jobs, usually if one of my sims want them to, or have a LTW. Or if I've noticed I've trained my pet to do everything, so why not? Other than that, most animals just live a normal life.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Instructor
#31 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 11:51 AM
In my BACC I don't really see the point. Pets are pets, sometimes I think it's worth it in small families (on the odd occasion where I have small families with pets) but generally they just get to be pets.

In my historic hoods I like to have the pets of rich sims get jobs, I feel there should be a benefit to having a dog or cat so I don't see the problem with it. In saying that I generally don't bother with getting them promoted.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Yes, you can :-) You'd need to make a new pet career based on the one you want to default replace - so that they have the same GUID, you've just changed the text/wages/work days and times etc. I know that lots (all?) of the sim careers have been default replaced at Plumbbob Keep (to Medievalise them), and someone may well have done the pet careers too. Perhaps you could check them out if you want to give it a try?

**ETA** Bethgael made default replacement pet careers, which you can find here - perhaps looking at them could help you make your own?

Thanks! Those should be useful.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 12:30 PM
I usually think they are stupid, especially for cats - who has a cat to send them to work? Pets are pets in my mind.

However I have played some families who breed and train up police dogs, therapy dogs, and I made the Kim family's pets be in the showbiz career because that made sense to me. You could train a famous pet!

I don't usually do any of the training for cats except perhaps to use the toilet, for dogs I do the training over a longer time, or if the owner wants to or they have a job.

You can definitely default replace careers, BTW, I did it for all the teen careers so I don't see why you couldn't for animals. I'll probably end up doing that at some point with the careers I find most pointless.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#34 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
For me it depends on if I think a career suits the pet or not.

For me it depends on if I think it suits the pet owner or not.

I mean "normal" RL families get a pet because it is lovely and they play around with it, may teach them tricks for fun or because it makes them feel proud, etc. but would usually not consider a job for their pet. That was simply not the point of adopting it in the first place.
But some people do think of breeding as a source of income, some teach them tricks in order to get them working (for example, animals in TV ads or movies), etc. and in my game those are represented by Fortune Sims who roll the LTW related to pet top career.

Not much to the pet choice I'm afraid
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
For me it depends on if I think it suits the pet owner or not.

I mean "normal" RL families get a pet because it is lovely and they play around with it, may teach them tricks for fun or because it makes them feel proud, etc. but would usually not consider a job for their pet. That was simply not the point of adopting it in the first place.
But some people do think of breeding as a source of income, some teach them tricks in order to get them working (for example, animals in TV ads or movies), etc. and in my game those are represented by Fortune Sims who roll the LTW related to pet top career.

Not much to the pet choice I'm afraid

i agree with you and now i see it a little different, nice explanation

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 8:17 PM
For me it depends on the pet/family. It does take a lot of time generally to get them trained up to reach the top of their pet career as the Sim family tends to also have other responsiblities/things to do as well.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#37 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 11:42 AM
I like the idea. Maybe I can one day keep twenty pets and send them off to work while I stay at home and play Sims
Mad Poster
#38 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 11:51 AM
I've just realised that the pet jobs are broken without alfixes. Totally weird because it's not on the list of things it fixes. At certain levels (the easiest one to see it with is Showbiz because it affects all levels) the pets throw an error on returning from work meaning they never get paid and never get promoted unless by chance card.

Field Researcher
#39 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I've just realised that the pet jobs are broken without alfixes. Totally weird because it's not on the list of things it fixes. At certain levels (the easiest one to see it with is Showbiz because it affects all levels) the pets throw an error on returning from work meaning they never get paid and never get promoted unless by chance card.

I have had alfixes for a year or so, and I never experienced this. Perhaps it was alfixes combined with something else that caused it?
Mad Poster
#40 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq

It is on the list of things it fixes.

https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=533369

Although when I was testing it, it worked fine for me without alfixes as well. Strange.
Inventor
#41 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Wish the Sims would have the torture option for all those annoying strays that dig holes in my yard. Stay off my lawn you filthy beast!

I sometimes think the same. I'm more acceptant nowadays but before, I build fences around all of my sims houses and locked the gate. No stray could dig a hole then.
In this new hood there are no fences and strays dig holes, but I basically ignore the holes, unless a sim could use a boost on their cleaning skills. Then I send them outside to also fill up that hole. It has its advantages next to the annoyance.

It's been a long time that I gave a pet a job. I first always used it, but most of my pets had their habitat in a fenced garden with the door locked.
Every time I had to pay attention that I was in time to unlock the door for the pet to get in the carpool and then lock the door again. It became a hassle to let one dog out and keep the others in. Then I decided they would not have jobs anymore and just play with the other dogs and stay in the garden where they had everything they needed.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 8:05 PM
I have some of my pets work till they get to top of career. This is after I have all commands taught. So it takes only 3 working days to top out. I want to unlock some of the collars & fur colors. I know there is something that can be downloaded with all the codes-but I don't want all the stuff, only some of them. Then they get long breaks in between till I want to get a few more codes.

Kindnesses from our heart goes much farther than we shall ever know :-)

The best things in life are all the little things
Link Ninja
#43 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 8:21 PM
I think they are okay, but it's annoying when (because I don't control them) when they haven't eaten or slept by their own choice and the carpool comes so they come home and my sims gets scolded by a force greater than even I for being a bad pet owner.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 7:41 AM
I've never gotten any of my pets a job D:
Mad Poster
#45 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 9:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
I think they are okay, but it's annoying when (because I don't control them) when they haven't eaten or slept by their own choice and the carpool comes so they come home and my sims gets scolded by a force greater than even I for being a bad pet owner.

If you've praised or scolded your pet in either direction for something relating to eating or sleeping, you can make your sim "command to sleep" or "call to eat".

Page 2 of 2