Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 1841 times.
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 7:22 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 5th Mar 2015 at 5:54 AM.
Default Not All Chairs Behave Alike
I noticed yesterday that certain chairs will block Sims' movements in certain situations, while others allow it.
The following picture shows a dining area. Note the diagonal wall to the left:

The layout above will work, unless you're using the chairs shown below (as well as another type (see my next post downtopic)):

When using these chairs, a Sim will be able to sit in the chair closest to the diagonal wall, but will not be able to walk past it to get to the chair closest to the plant.

Maybe a Modder can examine these chairs to see what makes them different, because it frankly looks like another Maxis screw-up.
See my next post downtopic, where I test all the chairs.
Edit: I also tested all the barstools, further downtopic.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 9:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the first set of chairs came out in a later EP while the second set is basegame. It's possible Eaxis changed the coding of chairs to allow Sims to move more freely but forgot to update the old chairs. (Which wouldn't surprise me.) I don't know, though. Someone would have to test the different basegame and EP chairs. (Not me. I'm too lazy lol.) Good observation
Scholar
#3 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 10:33 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 5th Mar 2015 at 12:11 AM.
This screw up of Maxis made chairs from different EPs may also explain why certain chairs are better to use on hotels & lodging (due to patrons who may take a seat from one side, and come out the other between the chair and wall. Then those Sims complain about not being able to walk out). Although I haven't tested every chair myself.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 12:35 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 5th Mar 2015 at 6:05 AM.
I just tested all 47 of the Maxis chairs (I have all EPs and SPs), using the same dining area layout shown in my OP.

There was one other chair, the Sit-Up-Straight Dining Chair, that also blocked my Test Sim's path in the layout depicted in my OP.
The Jacuster's "Last Stand" Sectional Booth also blocks the path, but that's pretty obvious because it does not "push-in" under the table when going into live mode.

So the three chairs my Test Sims were not able to navigate past are:

Sit-Up-Straight Dining Chair - $700, Open for Business EP
"Contorto" Dining Chair by Ernesto Doloroso - $850, Nightlife EP
Jacuster's "Last Stand" Sectional Booth - $300, Nightlife EP (obviously)

Here is the test I set up. It is identical to the layout depicted in my OP:

Too bad about those two chairs, because they're among the nicest in the collection. This doesn't mean these two chair types should not be used at all, but merely that special attention should be given when placing them and that they should be play-tested before a Lot they are used in is uploaded, in my opinion.
Edit: I also tested all the barstools, a couple of posts downtopic.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#5 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 12:35 AM
Not a problem to me, when placing any objects In my Sims home or community lot I "always make sure" my Sims can get in and out and can walk around the objects to the left or right.
If four people are at the table I always make sure the Sims can get out on all sides. If there is a wall next to the table where my Sims will be seated,
I don't have my table right up against the wall I "space" it from the wall just enough where a Sims can come and go from their chairs.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonut
Not a problem to me, when placing any objects In my Sims home or community lot I "always make sure" my Sims can get in and out and can walk around the objects to the left or right.
If four people are at the table I always make sure the Sims can get out on all sides. If there is a wall next to the table where my Sims will be seated,
I don't have my table right up against the wall I "space" it from the wall just enough where a Sims can come and go from their chairs.

Agreed on all counts, especially the testing part, but for Lot builders like myself who upload most of their creations it's important to know whenever certain objects behave differently from the norm.
In this case, 44 out of 46 chairs (not counting the sectional booth) behaved as expected. If a person had done prior testing of a particular layout using one of the 44 chairs "that work", he would not expect the remaining 2 chairs to behave differently and might have foregone testing of them in a functionally identical layout.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 3:03 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 5th Mar 2015 at 6:07 AM.
I went ahead and tested all the barstools as well, using the same setup as in my OP and chair tests uptopic. For obvious reasons, this did not include the various other pieces of furniture that are listed in the same in-game tab (mostly outdoor benches and such).
Of the 15 barstools in the game, 4 did not allow my Test Sims to navigate past them. They are:

Crankshaft Barstool by You Got Muscle - $205, Apartment Life EP
"The Sample" Bar Seat - $400, Bon Voyage EP
Instant Giant - $500, FreeTime EP
Barstool by Simulated Comfort - $690, Pets EP

Of course, barstools are less of an issue, since they usually are not used in as-tight spaces as chairs. Usually.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#8 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 4:36 AM Last edited by Simonut : 5th Mar 2015 at 4:47 AM.
@>>ScaryRob >> I really appreciate, you bring this to our attention, this is good to know and share as you have done.
about the picture above showing the Sims who could not Navigate past the "Contorto " dining chair, the problem here is the wall is too close to her entry way to place herself in the chair.

In this case here as shown in your picture Sims "Don't like being place in a tight corner, that why you get the "hand wave" she is block by the "wall" on the left being so close inward to her.
I use that chair all the time with no problems the "number one rule" is having Space, yes Space is the key, if that wall was push black another tile or so she would have been seated. ( it would have pass )
I have been building for so long to the point I can just look at a space with bird eye view, and tell right away how much space a Sims will need, between an object, I do this without any Sims being present.

Even with your picture with the barstool types that "wall to the left" is just too close for the Sims to get in or go near that chair, if you should direct them to go there, with that setup they will refuse or give another hand wave.
Again if the wall to the left was move back two tiles the barstool chair would not have fail, the Sims would have had a free path.
It come down to the "space" between any objects and the Sims ,then "any chair" would work and for sure pass.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#9 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:40 AM
Sims 2 chair enthusiasts. Nice. There is already a Sims 3 chair enthusiast, you know. His name is "LazyGameReviews". :P
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:50 PM
The point @Simonut is that for some of the chairs, that is not a problem. Useful info. Rob, thanks.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc