Locked thread | Replies: 107 (Who?), Viewed: 6577 times. | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: talk about derailment
Page 1 of 5
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:29 PM
Is it worth 60$?
So I have been thinking about getting Sims 4 for my mac since it came out, but I have every single EP and all the store content for TS3 and I wanna know if it's worth leaving my extra content to go to 4. I like how customizable the sims are and I'm curious to see how the new town setup works, but I'm still just not sure if I'm ready to spend all that money for something that is potentially crap. Also do the new building options and swatches outweigh CAST?As a home builder perfectionist idk if I can survive without the ability to customize detail.

The point is, can the previous TS3 players give me some of the pro's and con's of TS4?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:53 PM
It'll be on sale soon, trust me. If you can't wait to play it then I guess it is worth $60?

How much is $60 worth to you I guess. It's very hard to judge for someone else I guess.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.W
It'll be on sale soon, trust me. If you can't wait to play it then I guess it is worth $60?

How much is $60 worth to you I guess. It's very hard to judge for someone else I guess.


I can wait for it to go on sale. I guess instead of asking if it is worth my money I should just ask if it's a good game XD, and if so what makes it good?
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 6:07 PM
I got it for £21.99 from CDKeys and even that was painful, but as a die-hard Simmer I wanted to try myself - there was no way in hell I was going to fork out £50-£60 for a physical or digital copy; EA can go suck...
The thing is, when the game was first announced, I was willing to buy the Collector's Edition and the Prima Guide, too - then the rest of the information about the game came out, and I quickly changed my mind. EA have had a lot of money from me from the beginning of the Sims' life back in 2000 - I'll be damned if they drain my pockets for this edition as well...
In my opinion, it's something to play around with if you're bored or have had a spark of inspiration that may keep the game interesting for a while - but it's not worth $60. Not even close.

...Titanium white...
Theorist
#5 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 6:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericapoe
I can wait for it to go on sale. I guess instead of asking if it is worth my money I should just ask if it's a good game XD, and if so what makes it good?

It's not really a good game if you enjoyed any of the other iterations in the franchise. Stand alone with no prior knowledge of the series or of life simulators it's doesn't completely suck, but as the fourth in a series it's definitely lackluster at best. The game play is more linear than sandbox. Things are over-sized, over the top, and unnecessary. The emotion system is flawed and makes Sims very narcissistic/self centered wile lacking any care for the people or situations around them. The clothing and furniture customization options are very, very limited coming straight out of the sims 3. and the furniture customization is more limiting than Sims 2. Babies are boring and attached to a crib, toddlers are missing. children are a little bit limited. Teens are identical to young adults, young adults are identical to adults and elders are so frail they could be killed by woohooing.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 6:27 PM Last edited by H.O.W : 5th Mar 2015 at 6:55 PM.
I can only tell you my own experiences from the game, I'm sure many will disagree with them.

But I've really enjoyed it. I feel like interaction between Sims is great and it's easy to imagine them having their own personality. I think the biggest positive to the game is that to me, as well as the aesthetics. I was not a big fan of how sims looked in TS3 base game and the cartoony look appeals to me because it's well done here I feel. The game is crisp, runs smooth right now and plays pretty smooth.

The biggest draw is the lack of things to just do. There isn't much for sims to do outside of work and go to public lots and collect. (If you buy Ourdoor Retreat it'll give you one new place to go) Going to a library is not much different than going to the park. At places you will see sims doing things though. Kids on the playgrounds, adults chatting with each other or jogging or fishing. It's a busy game that doesn't feel empty to me, there are always sims to interact with. I also want to note that the facial emotions...not enough good things are said about them lol.

If you are here for building then I don't know, I don't touch building. So I'l pass judging that.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Theorist
#7 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 6:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.W
If you are here for building then I don't know, I don't touch building. So I'l pass judging that.

I'll touch on this, then. The build tools have improved if in no other aspect than the ease of doing actions. Rooms, and entire structures can be moved around without having to tear down and rebuild. Walls can be dragged out and rooms resized with cabinets and plumbing still against the wall, and you can even pull walls to go around the corner of a previous room without building new walls. Again, you'll find the styles are limited with some 5 separate wall patterns objects just being recolors of each other. The fences are annoying and the pillars are rather chunky looking, so making a balcony is a bit blah. But you no longer need pillars to support floor (if I remember correctly) so that's something. Placing an object on or against a wall prevents an object from hanging on the other side of that wall, for some reason. and shift placing floors and walls now ignore doors and walls and do any space that was built together. So if you make one big room, and wall it off afterwards, Shift clicking to paint a room will paint it all. Foundations are set for the whole lot as a slider rather than being set per individual piece or building. But roofs can now be coloured separately as individual pieces.

TL:DR I have few complaints about building. I find it's overall improved from the previous Sims games.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 7:50 PM
Building takes a lot of getting used to. It's not completely bad but simple things from previous games, like deleting one floor tile without it affecting all the tiles in the room, has become a chore. And it's all mostly to do with the game now recognizing rooms. It was a good idea, so that you'd be able to move rooms or an entire house around but at the same time, it's made build mode seem a little less...smooth and straightforward than in other games. The room thing has been a great convenience, especially in the house I built yesterday, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

As for the game as a whole, like H.O.W said, it depends on what you think is worth 60 bucks. For me, this game was definitely not worth the full price. It's not a horrible game. It's not the spawn of Satan like people like to make it out to be....but it's not great either. Everything just feels empty and limited, even for a base game. Sims behave and interact with each other better than they do in TS3, but they've still failed to capture the charm of the TS2. Especially when it comes to family life. That whole thing about sims feeling smarter and more alive than ever before...yeah that's not true. These are probably the ditziest sims we've ever had. They route better (even if "better" sometimes means that they just clip through something instead of throwing a tantrum) but they're dumb as a sack of nails. You should see how long it takes a whole group of them to do something as simple as washing the dishes after a meal (which is why I'm about 80% the gurus knew about that problem and instead of fixing it, they let you drag and dirty dishes into the sink yourself :/) And the emotions and traits are just superficial nonsense with almost no impact on your sim's life or behavior. Your sims tell you how they feel now but aside from a few cutesy animations and interactions when they're in a certain emotion, that's about all there is to it. The only time emotions have any weight on actual game-play are those very rare occurrences where sims die from them. That's about as much as I'll say on the subject of emotions because this thread sums it up pretty well.

The environment is pretty cool to look at at first but then you start to get that same "plastic and fake" feel that the sims give you. This game is particularly bad at showing different textures. Everything just looks painted on. And the lighting is absolute garbage, even with certain mods that were supposed to fix it but only make it slightly better. The two worlds that they give you all are ridiculously small. It does not take long at all to completely fill them both up, even if you moved out all the pre-mades. And yet, for such a small world, it's still hard for sims, who aren't young adults, to meet each other. Especially teens. If you want your teenagers to date or at least have friends, go luck to you because the only community lots where you'll find other teens is at the park, and even then they don't always show up. And I'm not even gonna get into the whole "teens look like adults" thing because that tune's been played to death already. Children are given a little more focus than they were in TS3, thank God. But I am starting to run into that problem I had in TS2 where they all start to have the same kind of default faces until they grow up and start to actually look like a mix between their parents. Also, school in this game is a waste of time. They don't seem to do any skilling up while there and they don't make any friends with the other kids or teens in the world. If you just want the little buggers out of your hair for a while, then keep it around. But if you like having them around during the day and don't like them disappearing for no real reason, get the no school mod. And I know this is a tune that's been played to death, but if you like to play with families, the lack of toddlers is VERY noticeable. This wasn't a deal breaker for me since that wasn't even close to being my favorite stage in the past, but I still feel like I need it back just because of how weird it feels to see babies spin-dash out of their cribs and become 10 year olds. There needs to be something in between. And since teens are basically the same as adults now, there needs to be something in between them and children as well. It just feels...wrong. Again, the interactions between family members if better than in TS3 but playing with families is still shite compared to TS2.

As for the positives: This is the best CAS we've ever had. I'd like a color wheel back but I really don't miss Create-a-style as much as I thought I would. My only gripe about CAS is the time they wasted on those stupid walk styles. There's seriously only two of them that don't look fucking ridiculous and most of the time I forget they're there. A pointless addition to CAS and (if we're to take anything SimGuruDitz says at face value) one of the reasons they didn't focus on adding toddlers. But let's not back track. MORE POSITIVES. The game runs a hell of a lot smoother than TS3. And I like how community lots are populated again (even if some are always populated by the same people). Multitasking is also a pretty useful addition, even if it does cause some annoyances. And, even though it's their fucking selling point, as fast as sims go back forth between each emotion, I'm actually a little glad they have almost no bearing on actual gameplay. Otherwise your sims would be worse than a room full of moody teenagers.

Final verdict: The game has its goods and A LOT of bads. But I don't think I can honestly tell somebody not to buy it since I, myself, play it and enjoy it. That being said, if you are going to buy it, you need to know exactly what you're in for because if you're expecting an experience that's like or better than the other two Sims games, you're gonna be disappointed. It runs better than TS3 but that's about all it does better. As far as content is concerned, this is the emptiest and most simplistic base game since TS1. It's like they made a theme out of seeing how many corners they could get away with cutting, a trend that seems to be going into their expansions as well. Another thing that might sway your opinion is that there's absolutely no challenge to the game anymore. When I play the sims in casual mode (aka no challenges. Just playing to be playing) I do it with the needs turned off. That's how I've done it since TS2. But with this game, there were times that I forgot to turn the need decay off and never noticed until days later because these sims are so damn easy to keep happy. Challenges have been that way for me too. Whether you consider this a good or bad thing is up to you but I'm still torn on it. All in all, I'd say get the game at an EXTREMELY discounted price (I got mine on Amazon for $20 bucks cheaper than I would have if I got it through Origin) if you're a completionist and think you'll be missing out on something by not getting it. Otherwise, don't bother. It's a fun game but if you're looking for an experience that's newer or better than previous sim games, I'd say wait until we get more expansion packs. So no. It's not worth $60. It's worth about half as much. Because, while still decent, it is a half assed game. I can't wait for TS5 to come out and watch them throw shade on this like they did with TS3. They might even finally admit that TS4 is their sad attempt at fixing "Olympus"
Forum Resident
#9 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 7:54 PM
No. It is probably worth $20-30. Depending on your threshold. I wouldn't pay more than that though.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 8:07 PM
I recommend getting it on discount. You'll hate yourself less in the morning.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 8:41 PM
Well i payed 60 for it but ive played it for well over 24 hours so i judge it like saying ive payed 60 bucks for countless hours of entertainment.:/ if that makes any since lol i dont regret it or miss paying that much and im playing sims as we speak.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 8:48 PM
To answer your original question OP - no I really don't think it's worth the full $60 dollars because it's a base game, which means that it's going to feel somewhat empty until the expansion packs start rolling out. I bought mine when it went on sale for $40 bucks, which considering the hours I've spent on it, seems like a fair price.

I don't agree with the assumption of previous posters (and general sentiment I've seen on this board) that the only way anyone would enjoy this game is if you haven't played the previous three. I've enjoyed this game reasonably well and I've been playing sims games since they first came out fifteen years ago. I think it would be more accurate to say that if you're a rabid Sims 2 fan who thinks that game is the end all be all of the franchise, then yeah, you're going to be unhappy with this game.

Anyway, this is a good game that has some major flaws. I like the new CAS a lot because it's easy to make interesting looking sims and it's not the lagfest that Sims 3 CAS was. I don't miss the open neighborhoods even though I really, really thought I would, mostly because the game makes up for it by running lightyears smoother than Sims 3. The emotion system is nice when it works and can be very wtf when it doesn't, and I hope that it gets tweaked at some point. The sims themselves look great - their facial animations and mannerisms really bring them to life in a way that you don't see in previous sims versions.

People bitch about the textures, but I think this game is really pretty. Too pretty actually, since one of the things I really miss is being able to make houses a the seedier, more run down part of town and you really can't do that here. I also don't agree with the whole "It's so scripted, they're telling me how to play my game complaint" because while there are goals that you can do, none of them are mandatory and you can pretty much ignore the whims and goals entirely if you so desire with no major drawbacks.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 9:28 PM
The Sims was about $50, wasn't it? And it was a base game, without wall lights and with only one default pj and swim suit for everyone. Your Sim could never leave his lot or invite a whole crew of people over. It was worth it because it was amazing. Is this worth it? As has been expressed already, it depends on what you think is worth it. The game is not very layered yet, but it is interesting and fun. I spent the money on it when I really needed a distraction. Frankly, it doesn't quite hold me the way the other Sims games have, but I still enjoy it and I'm not unhappy at all with my purchase. It wouldn't be hard to find a sale on it, just stay away from "keys", they are so questionable.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 10:49 PM
Keep your money, keep playing Sims 3.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 11:03 PM
When I first switched to TS4 from TS3, I was like :

-First 10 minutes : "Wow awesome!"
-First day : "Let's try this, let's try that etc."
-End of the first week: "omg I miss CAST so bad!"
-A month later: "so what now? This game is empty! there's nothing else to do"
-Now: "guess I got used to returning back to downloading recolors just like sims 2, I need more CC more and mooooooooore CC... this is getting fun!"

So from my own experience I can say,
-You will miss open neighbourhood, it will be so awkward at first but that's easy to get over.
-You will miss your hoard of TS3 CC that you have collected in years, but that's ok, you will get new ones eventually thanks to TS artists who keep creating awesome stuff.
-You will miss CAST. You will miss it so bad. (as you said you love decorating & work with details) No cure for that. sorry.
-You will sooooo get used to easy build mode, dragging and shaping, easy deleting and replacing, very smooth loading, playing with no lag or freeze at all, CC isn't slowing the game down, everything is quick and fluent, sims look better... etc.

At the end, you will grow distant from TS3. It will feel old and meh so I guess you won't want to go back.

Is it worth the money? Well, idk. That just depends on the person. I think it will get cheaper in a few months, if it's worth waiting (according to you), you can wait, if it isn't just go for it.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Theorist
#16 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 12:32 AM
Ok so here's my personal transition from Sims 3 to Sims 4 as a builder/casual live mode player:
Overall the transition for me was very smooth, I jumped right into Sims 4 and was perfectly fine, the only thing that took a little getting used to for me was the lack of CASt at first but nowadays I don't even remember that it ever existed (maybe that's because I build way too often).

CAS: Lots of clothing options, and very up-to-date trendy clothing (no more surplus of Grandma's clothing), I have never downloaded CC for my game until I started my machinima, and I actually challenge myself and refuse to use it in my regular gameplay sessions. Every now and then I'll go "I wish I had this or that, or I already have that type of outfit" but I somehow get there in the end (especially now with the help of OR). The pushing and pulling is a lot of fun, and I can proudly say that I use the presets more than I ever did in TS3. Be warned though, each preset has different push-pull limits to keep the presets looking like they did, but it shouldn't be too much of problem creating sims to your liking. The amount of detail you can put into your Sims is basically the same as TS3 but with a lot more manipulation points and the ability to push and pull those points just enhances those features you put into your sims. However, at first the lack of sliders is going to feel VERY weird and it may take a bit for you to get your sim sculpting-skill back to where it once was. The lack of CASt is evident at first, but quickly (or slowly depending on how much you think about it) sinks to the back of your brain for the most part. However, every now and then you'll flip out on yourself because you want your Sim to have auburn hair, not dark brown, or caramel, not sandy. And then a lot of times you'll want a certain eye color but you can't get it and all that kind of stuff. Clothing as I said isn't much of a problem for me, and with Outdoor Retreat I have even more options. I've been playing this game since release, and have yet to use every single clothing item or put the same outfit on another Sim in another, or the same, game But eventually you will start to want more clothing options, and that's where CC comes in, but I can proudly say (because I challenged myself) that I do not use any CC in my regular gameplay sessions. In fact, I never installed a single piece of CC until late January/Early February solely for my Machinima. In fact, the first thing I installed were house lights, and I'll get to that later. However, I originally started my Machinima CC free, but then I started browsing simblr's and well...uh.... I may have accidentally downloaded over a 100 pieces of CC for my cast.

Now, neighborhood view... Well, if you played SimCity, and checked on your resources that's your neighborhood view in Sims 4. It's very bland, but very easy on the eyes and straight to the point. I'm not overly fond about it, but I'll say it's alright, it makes the world look really empty (and the worlds are, in comparison to Sims 3). So, basically Sims 3 just obliterates Sims 4 with map view, and I mean Open World cannot be beat, right? On the topic of Open Worlds, this is actually a really strange thing that I noticed ever since I started playing Sims 4 but I don't really miss em'. Like I know that they existed and I loved them and all but it has no affect on how I play my game, or even when I'm building. The only thing I will say that the more and more you build the more limited you feel on space, and what not. And just to throw another comparison into play for me, I missed Open Worlds more in Sims 2: UC, than in Sims 4, I don't know why, I just did.

Build Mode: Ah, build mode. This is one thing that is really subjective. For me, I prefer bits and pieces of Sims 4 build mode over Sims 3. If I had to choose, I'd go Sims 4. Why? Well, I never really actively used terrainfloorelevation (although I do miss split levels to an extent), and with the addition of Move Objects on I feel content with Sims 4's build mode. One thing though that I'm starting to miss is the multilevel pillars, really hope those return. Build mode is also a lot more straightforward now, but if you're a very detailed person it won't have any affect on how fast you build. I still spend hours-days to complete a build, the only thing I do faster now than in TS3 is roofing, and that's because I just plop my roof, drag, click bam. Done, unless it's a complex roof of course. As for room based building, I don't do it, I build the same way I did in Sims 3. I personally don't feel restricted with build mode in TS4, and I'm more than able to get my ideas from my mind into the game with a very good outcome. Now, CASt is very evident in build mode, at first I didn't really miss it, and I still don't REALLY miss it, but a color wheel would be a great addition as well as separated textures (i.e. bed frame/bed sheets). Also after building tons and tons of things you start to realize how repetitive your furnish gets, and you begin to favor different furnishings over others because they may have better textures or color pallets. For me I always go straight to the modern kitchen counters over anything else, as well as the simplistic looking modern couch. Aside from that I love the cornices, roof trims, spandrels, and all that jazz, it really spiffs a build up. However, it bothers me that you can't just drag and click those, instead they're room based which can make it very tedious and complicated to place them. Another thing that bugs me about build mode is the lack of light choices, like there's a few lights but they really aren't practical, there's no proper ceiling lamps (the kind that are just attached to the ceiling), there's only one and it's a kids lamp, the rest are hanging and don't work well on taller walls. Also a lot of the lights are somewhat dim, and it's bothersome that I can't change the light colors from build mode because by the time I finish building my build I forget that I need to recolor the lighting, and just cannot be bothered. Also the outdoor lighting is horrendous because it throws off EVERY. SINGLE. COLOR. Like why would they do something so evil? But with certain styles, and builds the lighting can compliment them, but when you throw blue and it looks gold, that can be a problem sometimes. Interior lighting is fine, the darkness issue we had at release seems to be obsolete in my personal game, I just think that lights are dim, especially after using CC lights which were like x10 the light space. Landscaping on the other hand, it gets the job done, but the plastic rocks aren't helping me, and they can look awkward often. We need more rocks, and terrain paint. Also the grass looks like paint, but that doesn't bother me entirely. Overall, build mode accomplishes what I need to do on a daily basis, and everyday I continue to learn new tricks that aid in a great turnout for a particular build. It's different, but not too different, if that makes any sense.

Gameplay, love it a lot more than I did and play it more than TS3. Plays a lot smoother, and the animations are so much smoother (the robotic movements with some animations in TS3 were discouraging for me). The interactions are sweet and aren't as repetitive as they were sometimes in Sims 3. Also it feels more like Sims are interacting with each other and they are often aware of their surroundings (in my game). Sometimes emotions don't work like they're meant to, but I've never had any issues with jealousy or reactions to death, and whatnot in my gameplay (again I'm a casual live moder). Uhm, sometimes you can get into a very grindy and micromanaged mindset, but that's usually if you set yourself up for it. It's very easy to just play the game and go with life. For me, I tend to go micromanage because I'm always skill building, but sometimes I'll just go with the flow and let them do their free will. There are some glitches in the game like the "wash dishes" interaction which has seemed to gotten more widespread with each patch (the issue didn't show up until the ghosts update for me). There's also a lot of small details you'll discover in your gameplay, which are more noticeable at first, such as whenever a Sim is cooking and there's another Sim in the room they'll like sniff in and react good if they have high skill, or bad if they don't, also the emotions affect their walk style, like when they're sad they'll mope about and when they talk to someone they'll put little to no effort in talking, and continue to frown and stuff. I don't know, the small stuff like that gets to me. But then there's some negatives like when they go off to work or school and "talk to coworkers/friends" doesn't gain you any new sims in your relationship panel (at least I don't think so). Story progression also is a sad loss, but I don't come out of the house that often which is a very big downside, because I spent like little no time in the house in Sims 3. Like others said there's literally nothing to do that'll keep your entertainment outside of the house, as it stands. Uhm, in terms of stuff "missing", I don't miss a lot of them, but that's just me. People are different, I could care less about the little toddles, but they'd be a very welcomed return. Oh, and another plus is townies are actually attractive, I have yet to make one over, where as in Sims 3, it was like striking diamond if I found a good-looking Sim to mate with. Then again, some of the ugly ones made the prettiest of babies. In terms of mods, I only use faster gardening/evolve all, the game says I have NPC gardening but it doesn't show up in game, but I could care less. The only reason I have those mods is because gardening becomes so incredibly difficult with over 30+ plants and it takes away like 95% of your sim's day, and causes all sorts of negative moodlets, and after about 4 months of dealing with that BS, it got tiring so mods came to my rescue. Uhm, something different I do in TS4 that TS3 is that I don't pay attention the whims at all, half the time I don't even know they exist, and my main source of aspiration points are through completing the aspirations, they seem useless to me, and are very ignorable. Also aspiration points are mediocre because the store lacks so bad, and half the crap in there is useless, so I don't even care for them either to be honest. Skilling in TS4, is easy-difficult, as in it's easy as hell to skill up but annoying as hell to do (if you do it all at once). If you do a daily routine, and gradually skill it's fun. Careers were really hard to skill up, until they toned them down, now they're a bit easier, but not entirely, at least for me. Although, I prefer the original career promotion system than the newest.

Anyways I think I've given you a long enough wall to read, and to answer your question is it worth $60? Meh, no, but I bought it at $60, but I also bought TS3 at $60, and didn't think that was worth it either. But that's subjective, however, I am enjoying myself, and have racked up 190+ hours on the game, and have yet to say I'm bored, or feel bored of the game. I bought Outdoor Retreat, but I've only went camping since like release date (oops), but I use everything in the pack, so I felt my money was well spent in that degree, and as of right now I am still looking forward to GTW despite some of the recent news, but next week will be my deal breaker week depending on how much we learn about the retail mechanics. Hope this helps/helped!
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 1:36 AM
I'll join the chorus of "wait for a sale." It isn't worth the full $60 to me. Then again, I'm not sure base game 3 or 2 would have been worth $60 to me, either, but I got both of those as gifts. :v The world may never know. If you can wait for GTW to launch, it's not unlikely the base game will go on sale to tempt folks who haven't jumped in yet.

As far as the gameplay itself, I'm in agreement with TMBrandon. Build mode is a little limited compared to older games, but it's so much faster I can almost forgive it. If modular stairs and terrain sculpting were added it would be just about perfect, imo. The lack of CASt doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, it just forces you to change your decorating habits-- less interior designer and more stylist. As more CC and recolors show up, the issue is less noticeable.

After playing 2 for a few hours today, I will say the family play in 4 is pretty thin. I've been spending around 90% of my play time building and around 10% actually playing, when in 2 and 3 it was the opposite. So, take from that what you will.
Theorist
#18 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 1:57 AM
To put the game in perspective I was entertained longer by This than by the Sims 4
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 2:06 AM
That game is an old port, but they are supposed to be coming out with a new one pretty soon.

Virtual Families 3: Our Country Home will be larger and more customizable than Virtual Families 2!

Some of the features we have planned are:
- More flexible options for families! Have larger families!
- Improved social features!
- Modular, reconfigurable house
- More advanced decor and furniture placement options
- Gardening and lawn care
- More of everything!

http://www.ldw.com/virtual_families_3_preview.php

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Theorist
#20 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 2:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MadameButterfly~
That game is an old port, but they are supposed to be coming out with a new one pretty soon.

Virtual Families 3: Our Country Home will be larger and more customizable than Virtual Families 2!

Some of the features we have planned are:
- More flexible options for families! Have larger families!
- Improved social features!
- Modular, reconfigurable house
- More advanced decor and furniture placement options
- Gardening and lawn care
- More of everything!

http://www.ldw.com/virtual_families_3_preview.php

o 3o OOOOOOooooooooooohhhhhhh That sounds shiny!

Quote:
Release date to be determined

And that is how you're supposed to do things. EA needs to take a lesson. Wait 'till it's actually f**king ready.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 3:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica55
...

At the end, you will grow distant from TS3. It will feel old and meh so I guess you won't want to go back.

..




You are in the minority. Most people, like me, actually regained a greater appreciation for TS3.

I actually stopped playing TS3 for a quite while, got really into RTS games ... and if anyone here plays, DOTA!!!

Then TS4 came out and after a couple of hours play, man I pop TS3 back on and now I don't even play DOTA anymore. I've downloaded more mods, bought a few more stuff from the store, and spend countless hours not just playing TS3, but going above and beyond to make the game run even better and smoother. (check the TS3 forum, where we're moving the caches to a RAMdisk and increasing cache sizes to reduce errors.)

TS4? I don't even remember when I uninstalled it. And heck... I didn't even uninstall The Sims Medieval.
Theorist
#22 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 3:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
TS4? I don't even remember when I uninstalled it. And heck... I didn't even uninstall The Sims Medieval.


\(;u ; ) I still play TSM
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 3:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
\(;u ; ) I still play TSM


I played through 1 kingdom, but seems like starting a new one is repetitious. I hope I'm not missing anything, there seems to be a lot of new games we can start. I keep it around when I want to walk around my kingdom and throw subjects into the pit. :D
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 3:34 AM
I spent 35 dollars for the limited edition of the game, which IMO is very worth it given the current content. And of course, the available custom content. It will take anywhere from 1-48 hours to relieve a CD-key from one of those key-selling websites, and some of the time the keys will already be activated so you can't download the game. I had this problem. But then I contacted Origin for support and all I had to do was take a screen shot of my paypal receipt and I got a new code just for me; within 2 days of discovering the key was already used. So Origin supports 3rd party key sellers too! Just be sure to use paypal so you can take a screen shot of your purchase. I hope you won't have to go through that, though.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 4:43 AM
I seldom regret my gaming purchases, but buying the new sim city (even though it was on sale), and buying TS4 full price are the ones I do regret.
I've played TS4 less than 20 hours and the last time I played it was back in September.

But liking a game is so individual, the majority of people who I follow on tumblr made the switch and are happy, while some stuck to their preferred games because TS4 didn't click with them.

For me it didn't click. I had fun with it for the short time I played, but couldn't really get into it. I would however say buy it, but wait until you get it used.
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: talk about derailment
Page 1 of 5
Back to top