Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 1291 times.
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 4:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to Check if a Lot has been Occupied?
I know it was never conclusively shown that putting a previously occupied Lot into a 'hood will corrupt the 'hood, but Lot builders are nevertheless urged not to upload Lots that have been occupied.

So how do you actually check to see if a Lot has been occupied?

According to its description, Cyjohn's Lot Inspector tool will not check if a Lot has been occupied. It checks to see if a Lot can be safely deleted, but not necessarily if it has just been occupied.
My own tests, yesterday, using the Fingerprint Scanner career reward, showed that it is unreliable because it gives false positives.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 5:12 PM
@Jawusa may know how to tell using SimPE .

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
#3 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 5:54 PM
I look very closely at the lot, if there aren't enough pictures to view I don't bother with it. Chairs not up to table, desk, chess or flag on mailbox is up. I look for newspapers or other trash and very carefully check for signs of plumbob out of the way or shadows of sims. Something I just thought about is flowers, they're usually pretty small when first added but grow shortly after live mode. I'm going to check on that too. Another thing I've seen is tons of mailboxes and different types of outdoor trash bins listed, I won't bother to add the lot since it means there may be problems. But I do use Cyjon's and Prof von something, it's a soccer ball that let's you know if it's safe to delete, except it works in build mode by just selecting in catalog. Although you don't know if sims were actually in it, at least you know if there are lurkers off world. It sounds weird looking for all those signs, but best to be safe than corrupted. I only set these lots in a test hood first to check it more but never place it back in bin. I'd love to know if there are more signs to look at.
I'm more apt to design on graph paper and plan out routing and furniture placing though. Keeps me busy at doctor visits. Oh, and Boiling Oil at Leefish, has a mod that checks every time you load up a lot with sims, even if they just went to a community lot and back. It will delete broken or unused controllers and fix sim problems.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#4 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 6:03 PM
You can find it out if you open the lot.package in SimPE.
You don't have to unfurnish the lot. Many people think that sim references are parts of the objects but they're not. The references are all stored seperately.

Remove these following things:
(If there are any of them)

-Sim Information
-Sim Relations (SREL)
- SimDNA
- Sim Wants and Fears (SWAF)
- SimScores
- FamilyTree

(basically everything with 'Sim') With just the base game, I don't think that there are any SimScores in lot packages...

Then you would have cleared all of the sim references of that lot. Only the lot value will be different. You can fix it by entering that lot and save the lot.

You won't corrupt your neighborhood if you remove those things from the lot and the lot will load a bit faster as well.
The lot will load even faster if you use Mootilda's LotCompressor to compress your lot.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 1:18 AM
Thanks.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 11:08 AM
Do bear in mind that even after clearing that stuff out, there are still some signs of occupation in the lot - things like there being a plumbob in the object list (I've forgotten what that resource is called), and objects having sim names in their data. We have no idea whether or not that stuff causes corruption, but if you want to be 100% cautious you could check for it too.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Trainee Moderator
#7 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 4:00 PM
I've tested it @Nysha
And I'm sure it doesn't corrupt the neighborhood. Normally Mootilda's HC would warn of a sim who does not exist in the neighborhood but I haven't had that report. @curripata has tested it as well. She didn't get any user warnings either (thank you curripata for testing it)

The game replaces that sim information with an universal sim (in my case it was the Hula NPC) Since every neighborhood has those sims, it's no longer a problem.
If you delete the Sim Information file, everything will be reset and it's like nobody has lived there. Also the lot value and the current time. (It will be Monday, 8 am)

You'll have to fix the lot value by entering that lot and save.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Theorist
#8 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 4:45 PM
Is there a problem with moving sims out of a house, or last resident died and later moving other sims in? Will redecorating in build mode remove any sim references if there are any?

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 5:16 PM
Sim references are only a problem if you're putting the lot in another neighbourhood (by uploading it or putting it in the lot bin); you can move sims in and out of a lot in its original 'hood with impunity.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 5:35 PM
If I wanted to move Sims from one house to another within the same 'hood, I would have to move them into the Sim Bin temporarily. This is OK, no?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 5:47 PM
ScaryRob, if you move them out via the 'move out' function (computer), they will end up in the family bin, so I'm pretty sure that's okay. It's moving occupied lots to the house bin that's bad.

Unless you use the 'stay things shrub' or a similar object, the house they move from will be left unfurnished. Probably EAxis' way to clean up the lot. I'm not sure if a previously occupied house without the furniture is safe or unsafe to upload.
Trainee Moderator
#12 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 9:52 PM
It's completely safe to share furnished houses. Just remove the sim references from the lot and you're fine.

Again, many people say that the lot is shareable after you've unfurnished it but that's not true. You can even use the StayThingsScrub with Moo's StayThingsScrub Fix and let the objects stay at moveout.
Just make sure that you remove the things I've mentioned above from the lot package. Then you can safely place it into another neighborhood or share it with others.

The sim references are not hardcoded to objects. They link to a data (Sim Information) and if you delete that file along with the other sim references, you will get rid of the sim references and the lot will be reset. (e.g. current time, lot value, and I believe the value of the objects as well) You just have to load those lots and save to fix the lot value.

My Simblr