Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 8:56 PM
Default Does anyone here play a medieval hood?
I wanna try doing that, it seems kinda cool and I think it would be a nice change of pace from my regular modern hoods with their iPhones (default replacement), fancy houses etc... But I don't know where to start and what to do. Any advice some of you can give me? Some tips and tricks? I have always wanted a Medieval sims game, and well TSM obviously didn't provide me with that.

Btw, is there a mod that hides all Maxis clothing? It would seem pretty useful but I've never seen one around.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 9:30 PM
I recall a site that listed various sims2 mods/hacks/content/etc, but I do not remember where it is.

some threads in this forum tell about mods; might search in there.
another place to search are internet search engines; google, bing, etc.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 9:50 PM
I do and it's a lot of fun. Some of the medieval clothing out there is gorgeous. Some websites: http://historicalsims2.wikia.com/wiki/Medieval_Defaults, http://www.medievalsims.com/ and http://themedievalsmithysims2.blogs...eval-sims2.html are just three. I'm still finding awesome stuff. Plenty on this site too.
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 10:11 PM
I don't have a medieval hood, but I have some resources you might find useful.

To start off, you'll find a big list of hiders here: http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/42769.html That's everything except like 5 or 6 items.
Almighty Hat's Resource List here: http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/34965.html
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 10:15 PM
You might find Plumb Bob Keep useful - http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/index.php . Or The Medieval Smithy, which has a WCIF list: http://themedievalsmithysims2.blogspot.com/ .
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 11:01 PM
I have a medieval game.

My tips are make yourself a new game not just new hood. You do that by renaming your sims 2 folder. EG 'The Sims 2 Modern'. Run the game and it will make you a new clean second 'The Sims 2 folder.' Make your new medieval hood in your new game folder. because this is separate from your old folder you are starting off with no cc in there at all and can add whatever cc and defaults you want.

PBK is the most useful site for cc, but also check out the default data base for medieval replacements and MTS. I do not have all Maxis things hidden, but there certainly are hiders around. Sun&Moon group on PBK have the most wonderful 'work benches' basket and furniture weaving, hunting, mining, wine making, chickens. I have every set.

Things to think about when setting up are your classes of people. I have royalty, nobility, merchants and peasants. This gives me very different families although there isn't much between royalty and nobility. I love playing my impoverished peasants.You can get some wonderful filth overlay boxes to toss over your peasants. I use things like Becks wash tub for the wives to make some money doing washing while the men belong to the royalty career from here as peasant workers. They also grow a few crops and one family has a goat also by becks and they use her butter churn and they sell churned butter and a few crops. Another family has Becks flute and they make a little coin playing that.
So check over on Affinity sims for becks items. Do realize any animal also contains an NPC sim and must never be removed. PBK chickens do not contain an NPC but don't move around the yard.

With your merchants think about what your town needs, a blacksmith (Nixsims made me the most wonderful secret scuba Blacksmith present over on Leefish)
Her site: https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/ My noble kids just got her pottery wheel for kids. farms, a monastery (which is where I use the PBK wine making set) You will want a seamstress, market to buy food, etc.

Also check out Almightyhat for defaults and medieval hair and toys. http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/ I use her baby gowns a lot.

You will want to stop the school bus and you can do that with the Simlogical School system. Use Flexi school with the school changer and set children as flexi school and the bus will never turn up. If you use the homework or school book your noble and royal children can homeschool. My upper class families all have at least one live in servant who acts as nanny and governess. Or if you want school for all or just some children there is a bus default I believe.

I love playing my medieval game as it is so different from my modern one and not a stick of Maxis to be seen. The more you default the more you want to default as anything not defaulted stands out like a neon sign. I pretty much do have everything defaulted now, right down to the bills.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 11:12 PM
Thanks for your answers! I'm currently browsing this list: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...and_Renaissance and will look into the sites you guys suggested. I already made a separate Downloads folder for everything Medieval/Victorian than my regular stuff so the two don't mix.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 1:14 AM
No, but I'm about to start and just downloaded the best neighborhood for it. Looking for ideas

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bobyoud2001
Thanks for your answers! I'm currently browsing this list: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...and_Renaissance and will look into the sites you guys suggested. I already made a separate Downloads folder for everything Medieval/Victorian than my regular stuff so the two don't mix.

Just beware that if you are swapping around a download folder often something could get corrupted. You might find renaming it (if you don't want to have two sims 2 folders the way I do) so the game only reads the one you want, better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Just beware that if you are swapping around a download folder often something could get corrupted. You might find renaming it (if you don't want to have two sims 2 folders the way I do) so the game only reads the one you want, better.

I took your advice and made two Sims 2 folders instead. I figured you were wiser than me regarding that stuff so it's better to be safe than sorry.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 1:56 AM
Just remember to rename the folder depending which one you want to play. The game only reads the folder called 'The Sims 2' If I am playing my modern hood I rename that to "The Sims 2" and my other folder to "The Sims 2 medieval" if I want to play my medieval hood I rename it to "The Sims 2" and my other folder to "The Sims 2 Modern". Hope that makes sense.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 2:09 AM
Just remember to rename the folder depending which one you want to play. The game only reads the folder called 'The Sims 2' If I am playing my modern hood I rename that to "The Sims 2" and my other folder to "The Sims 2 medieval" if I want to play my medieval hood I rename it to "The Sims 2" and my other folder to "The Sims 2 Modern". Hope that makes sense.

Yeah I get it. You're saying that the game folder I want to play should be named "The Sims 2 UC" (I have that), so I take off the -Modern or -Medieval marks in the end.

My Downloads folder is already at 1.85GB.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 2:54 AM
If that is what your Sims 2 folder is named, then yes. I don't know much about the UC.

Playing medieval, if you want it to look good takes quite a lot of cc. Mine is about 12 1/2 gigs but I could do with some more walls and floors for my upper classes yet. Not everyone is obsessed as I am in getting the 'correct' look. Thinking about it, I'm going to need some elder clothes soon too. Hoping I won't go over 13 Gigs. It loads okay up to about that point.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#14 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 10:12 AM
I love my medieval hood some things you may want to consider are

-What classes are you going to play with? Most people seem to go for peasants, merchants, nobles and royalty but you can break this up further or less as you see fit. I tend to play with nobles & peasants only.

-This may just be a me thing but I like to have a general gist of what makes a typical home for sims of a certain class. Is a peasant with two rooms rich or is that normal? Is the only two story house in the hood the castle or are there merchants with five ensuite bathrooms? Most of my sims don't get the luxury of too many rooms. My keep (home to the nobles) has four main rooms (great hall, kitchen/servant quarters, solar/sitting area for the family & sleeping area for the family) they also have a dungeon (with one prisoner I keep forgetting to feed), and a few towers. The towers have things like storerooms, staircases and a toilet or two. They only have one bathroom. The keep sits around three stories high and is the tallest lot in the hood. Most of my peasants have one main room. So far one has a loft in the roof, all have an outhouse or two and a bath (in the roof or in a small outbuilding).

-How are you going to keep the peasants poor and the nobles rich? This is definitely worth thinking about if you like keeping your class distinction. I tend to not give my peasants proper jobs; most are either stay at home parents or work in the fields of the noble families (they are employed in a sim-owned business where I grow crops), they do end up getting $240 or $150 for teens a day (I play with a hack so they only get paid according to badge level) but it's better than having them work their way up a traditional job. I like having this level of self sufficiency; my sims actually grow this food and they are actually paid by the noble. At home they do tend to have a few things that make money but for the most part this goes straight to their fridges to keep starvation away. At the end of every season they have to give the church a sacrifice (my church likes to burn things) and a monetary donation. They're also taxed $400 per working sim (teen and up who are not involved in the care of small children) and $200 for sims caring for small children. When a sim dies they have to pay the church, when a sim moves out the family pays for furnishings (the nobles or the church has to buy the actual house). I have plenty of ways to keep the classes distinct. (My peasants can actually move up in the world but they just have to be lucky)

-How are you going to keep the numbers down? If you have everyone marry and have 6-8 kids (which tends to happen in a hood with ACR and no birth control) you're going to need something to keep your population in check. This can be done by making sure families don't have so many kids, have spare children join the church (or just not get married), use realistic sickness, kill sims who lose fights or introduce mortality rolls. I tend to play with BIG family sizes (11 kids isn't unusual) I play with mortality rolls, keep my church and army well stocked, and play with realistic sickness.

I don't have anything that hides the maxis clothing but I have so many cc clothes I only ever see it when my sims age up.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 10:51 AM
I keep my peasants poor by using the peasant worker level in this career. http://modthesims.info/d/222788 career number 2. They only earn about $30 per day. They can move up to landowner if they roll a want to get a charisma skill since they are allowed a mirror, but since they are not allowed books they can't advance any further.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 2:30 PM
I play them but with no CC or mods, its all in my head about the year it is for my little simmies.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 1:45 AM
This is how it looks so far:

And yes, it is a slightly edited Veronaville. I thought the Tudor houses would fit in nicely with peasants. And, I love the layout of the town, where the peasants are on one side and the royal court on the other.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 2:16 AM
I thought it reminded me of Veronaville. Very nice.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:37 PM
I thought it reminded me of Veronaville. Very nice.

Thanks! I'm still downloading cc, but I've pretty much defaulted everything (even the bills, the pillows during fights, pencils etc..)
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 6:09 PM
I started a medieval neighbourhood, but I got tired of it pretty quickly because it required so much maintenance to keep the medieval theme going. There are so many little things that you need to think of replacing. I did really enjoy creating medieval characters though, especially the nobility and royalty

Bustin' Out!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 6:17 PM
Right now I'm just looking for more objects to install, and I can't get my CAS hiders to work for some reason.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinimon162
I started a medieval neighbourhood, but I got tired of it pretty quickly because it required so much maintenance to keep the medieval theme going. There are so many little things that you need to think of replacing. I did really enjoy creating medieval characters though, especially the nobility and royalty

I enjoy my medieval hood but don't go overboard with the 'realism', by replacing everything. I think of mine more as a fantasy world, based on a medieval style, than as an historic world. My Sims there wouldn't use anything like mobile phones or vehicles anyway, for example, but I do have a normal phone hidden away just so they can talk to each other..
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 9:22 PM
To answer your question in the title: no.
I found it to be too much of a hassle, even though I like the idea.
The Sims 2 is quite modern, I imagine getting it to resemble the Medieval Ages takes a lot of passion, time, and hard drive space xD
You basically have to erase the wants for TV, foods, cars, certain clothes for spawning on townies etc etc.
If I start thinking about it, you have to start everything over essentially. Careers too!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 11:28 PM
I don't mind the townies in my medieval hood strangely enough. I pretend they are strange savages for my seamstress to convert to the normal ways. Meaning she tries to sell them medieval clothes and hairs styles. Some are wearing defaults anyway.

As to finding and defaulting everything I love that too. Between Sunni and Almighyhat just about everything is defaulted.

I have about the same amount of cc (12Gigs) in my modern beach game as I do in my medieval game.

Wants don't change, you have to ignore some of them. With default foods the wants change to the defaults and cars are fine, they are called ridable horses and buggies.

If you want a medieval hood making one isn't a hassle it's fun.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 11:49 PM
I don't mind the townies in my medieval hood strangely enough. I pretend they are strange savages for my seamstress to convert to the normal ways. Meaning she tries to sell them medieval clothes and hairs styles. Some are wearing defaults anyway.

As to finding and defaulting everything I love that too. Between Sunni and Almighyhat just about everything is defaulted.

I have about the same amount of cc (12Gigs) in my modern beach game as I do in my medieval game.

Wants don't change, you have to ignore some of them. With default foods the wants change to the defaults and cars are fine, they are called ridable horses and buggies.

If you want a medieval hood making one isn't a hassle it's fun.

I thought setting it up was going to be boring and tiresome.. well it is tiresome but most importantly, it's fun!
Page 1 of 2