Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 12:24 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 22nd Jan 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Default Downtown as a Vacation Destination (Complete!)
Hello everyone!

So, I took it upon myself to work on converting Downtown into a vacation destination, because I would hardly ever use Downtown as a downtown (did that make sense? ). So, I decided to convert it into something I'd actually be using, plus I get to avoid old lady Crumple and unwanted vamps.

I've only just started working on this, so it's still sorta in it's alpha (or even pre-alpha). I've been following Mootilda's ( ) tutorial on how to change neighborhood types. Here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=502306

----

What I've used so far, and what is required:

I managed to get a copy of Tarlia's cleaned Downtown as the base neighborhood, so that sorta made things easier. (Credit goes to Tarlia for that! ) I also downloaded a copy of Jawusa's stealth hoods, so you won't get the Travellers or any of the tourists/locals (Credit goes to Jawusa for that! ). So far, the only sims present are the dead Tricou's and the teen bunch. I've also used almost all the necessary mods/fixes to avoid any corruption or bloating (nounlink, notownieregen, etc...)

This destination will require NL and BV, that way all lots can retain their contents.

----

The next step was to convert the neighborhood, and surprisingly (and fortunately), that was successful , even the some of the residential lots were automatically converted into vacation homes, which is perfect!

Which type of destination did I pick you might ask?

I picked the Mountain destination, because (quoting myself from 'TS2 Random Thoughts' thread):

Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Thank you! That's quite encouraging, I really am considering working on converting Downtown to a vacation destination, preferably a mountain destination, that way you won't get people wearing Twikki leaf skirts or Takemizu Kimono's in a city (unless you're in Hawaii or East Asia, but you know what I mean...). At least the lumberjack clothes can kinda fit in cities (Jeans? Checkered shirts? Sure!). No Bigfoot lot though, unless one automatically generates...

Also, if you take a look at Downtown's terrain, you'll notice it's actually elevated and quite steep in certain areas near rivers, but that's just me.

However, I was wondering how would you guys, whoever is interested, feel about Downtown as a Mountain destination?

I still wanna hear what you guys think about all this. So please share your opinions, and what you wish to see done.

Like, for starters, would you like to see the House of Fallen Trees converted into a haunted hotel? (We'll have to check and see if that's safe, corruption wise, since there are graves on that lot. But we'll manage something. )

What do you guys think? Any thoughts? Questions? I'll try my best to answer any.

I'll be posting pictures and will upload the neighborhood for testing soon, so don't worry!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 12:51 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 1st Sep 2015 at 1:04 AM.
Default Questions of my own!
*Apologies for the double post, the first post was kinda getting crowded though. *

I have a few questions myself:

1) According to Mootilda's tutorial, she stated that we have to convert certain lots to whatever is appropriate:

Quote:
For each special lot which has an inappropriate type:

7A) Edit the lot. If you cannot open a lot normally (hidden or secret lots, for example), use the loadLot * cheat to load the lot.

7B) Use the changeLotZoning * cheat to change the lot to different zoning (such as residential or community).

7C): If your subhood contains occupied apartments, this would be a good time to move the families out and into the Family Bin, or into a different residential lot.

Now here's the thing, the residential lots automatically got converted to vacation homes, which is what I want, after I typed in the cheat to convert the neighborhood into a Destination, so is there any need for me to go into each lot and type in the cheat again?

2) Another question regarding another step:

Quote:
Change the sim types:

Some subhoods have special kinds of sims. For example, a downtown subhood usually has downtownies and a vacation neighborhood has vacation locals, rather than normal townies. When you change your neighborhood type, you will want to consider whether the sims are still appropriate for the new type of neighborhood.

Please note that I'm much better with neighborhoods and lots than with sims and would be very happy to get feedback on this section. <Needs more research>

Now, I'm guessing I should convert the six Tricou teens into locals, but what about the dead Tricous (and Ranielle Neengia, or whatever her name is)?

I'll add more once I have any. Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 4:02 AM
I think you're going to have to test this a number of different ways, so make sure you have a safe backup of this version. Since even Mootilda never did a project of this specific type, you're the first tester and future authority. I say, add a copy of this version to a test neighborhood, and find out if the vacation homes function properly. It's the only way to be sure. If they don't, you can do the extra step.

Myself, I would want the dead Tricous and the teens to be locals. But since the HoFT is now a vacation home, logically they should be tourists.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 12:29 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 1st Sep 2015 at 12:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I think you're going to have to test this a number of different ways, so make sure you have a safe backup of this version. Since even Mootilda never did a project of this specific type, you're the first tester and future authority. I say, add a copy of this version to a test neighborhood, and find out if the vacation homes function properly. It's the only way to be sure. If they don't, you can do the extra step.

Myself, I would want the dead Tricous and the teens to be locals. But since the HoFT is now a vacation home, logically they should be tourists.

Thank you, Peni!

I've started testing it out, and I've uploaded pictures of what I have done so far. Click on the pictures to read the captions.

I'll be posting more.

So, Test 1.0 was about safely buying a vacation home, and it worked.

Test 1.1 is to wait for the ghosts and tricou teens to appear. I have removed notownieregen, and I know their in there somewhere. I probably have to change the family IDs for the teens. That would make more sense.

ETA2: I've opened up the neighborhood and the 6 Tricou teens are no where to be found. :/ I'll have to open up a new versiono fTarlia's cleaned Downtown to see if they're there or not.

ETA3: Nope! I opened Tarlia's version and they're not there. It's probably because they're Downtownies so Tarlia might've just left them out. Probably for the best? You still get the whole Tricou family though, just not the illegitimate teens. :/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:10 PM
*Apologies for the second time I double post, problem is, if I don't, it might get confusing. *

Okay, I managed to create another sim and play-test another version of the neighborhood with Downtown as a destination as well, this time though, I converted the house of fallen trees into a hotel. Everything was fine, except for the issue of lighting.

For some reason, at 6 pm, the sky will darken, but the light won't lit up. This probably has something to do with my radiance mod, so it shouldn't be a problem for those who don't have it, yet, it still needs to be test. I'll upload the first testable version of the vacation neighborhood soon right after I renovate the house of fallen trees, in a downtown back up, into a hotel.

For now, enjoy more pictures with captions! (Click on the pictures to read them.)
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#6 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:13 PM
This is great! I can't wait to see how your vacation destination will look like.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
This is great! I can't wait to see how your vacation destination will look like.

Thanks!

I should be able to upload the first beta version for everyone to test out by tonight.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:08 PM
House of Fallen Trees has different lighting than other lots, on purpose, because it was built as a haunted house. That may well cause problems with a lighting mod.

Hotels are community lots you can stay at - it's possible for a sim at one hotel to visit another hotel, and for sims in vacation homes to visit hotels. So the Tour Guide's not a problem. I think he's spawned by the community lot phone, which as you see stands in front of the HoFT since you converted it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:40 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 1st Sep 2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Glitchiness!
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
House of Fallen Trees has different lighting than other lots, on purpose, because it was built as a haunted house. That may well cause problems with a lighting mod.

Hotels are community lots you can stay at - it's possible for a sim at one hotel to visit another hotel, and for sims in vacation homes to visit hotels. So the Tour Guide's not a problem. I think he's spawned by the community lot phone, which as you see stands in front of the HoFT since you converted it.

Ah yeah. You're right! Thank you, kinda got worried there. :D

And finally, here are two versions of the is Downtown, as a vacation destination. Clot version contains the HoFT as a community lot, while the other one contains the hotel version. Just in case.

Other than that, they're both the same. Please let me know if you come across any issues, or have any suggestions!

I've also tested the neighborhood in HoodChecker and have uploaded the results as text files, so far, the only invalid items that got listed are under Memories, I'm not quite sure what they are exactly though:

Quote:
Memories:
Lot does not exist: 0x0026
Lot does not exist: Lot 0x0026: [Invisible] Controller - Game Scripting
Lot does not exist: Lot 0x0026: [Invisible] Token - Lot - Food Unit Info
Etc...

Would really appreciate the feedback!

Installation:

1- Before you install the vacation destination, just know that you might want to test it out in an empty AGS, consisting of only NL and BV. That way you can guarantee that nothing will happen to your neighborhoods in your full game. Make sure you back up your game as well. (You could test it out in your full game, but be sure to back up your neighborhood files first, just in case. And last but not least: You have to understand that this type of neighborhood conversion has not yet been done before, so you can say we're sorta paving the way for others. Which means: Use/Test this at your own risk!

2- Unzip.

3- Place the DMD1 folder into your C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate

4- Launch your game or AGS, create a neighborhood, and then add this destination to it. You might need Mootilda's fix for the vacation menu, found here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=420924

5- Good luck! Make sure you give feedback, as it is always appreciated!

ETA: I'll upload the version with the HoFT as a vacation home some other time as well. For now, you can convert the community lot version into a vacation home if you'd like using the changelotzoning cheat.

ETA2: Oops! My bad! Accidentally uploaded both version with HoFT as a hotel! Gonna remove the Clot version as it's pointless.

ETA3: The 'Downtown with HoFT as VHome' version contains the HoFT as a vacation home without any changes/renovations. To be installed the same as the hotel version.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Hoodchecker Results.zip (6.0 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:43 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 1st Sep 2015 at 11:26 PM.
*Sorry for the double post again. *

Just to let everyone know, there seems to be an issue with the neighborhood. Sometimes, all community lots, including the House of Fallen (I believe when converted into a community lot first), disappear from the neighborhood/destination when you load it up again. I'm not sure why this happens, but I'm working on fixing.

I had to go back to an early back up. I'm redoing HoFT, AGAIN! UGH! GAH!

Renovation progress: 50%. I still need to add the hotel room doors, the front desk, etc... I backed up the destination just now, so let's see how it goes. So far, with HoFT set as a community lot, it's not glitching or anything.

ETA: Okay, I'm done now. I think the reason why things went bonkers was because I had the version I was working on as the base neighborhood, as well as the destination in my NeighborhoodTemplates folder, so I think that was what's messing it up.

This version should work properly now. Installation same as before. Good luck and let me know of any issues! Appreciate all the feedback I can get!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DMD1 Beta V1.zip (41.30 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Trainee Moderator
#11 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 9:44 PM
@M.M.A.A.
You said, you didn't disable your NeighborhoodTemplates folder, so I believe any changes that you made have been applied to the original Downtown as well.

Can you please check when it was last edited? I mean D001, the original downtown.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 11:59 PM
@M.M.A.A.
You said, you didn't disable your NeighborhoodTemplates folder, so I believe any changes that you made have been applied to the original Downtown as well.

Can you please check when it was last edited? I mean D001, the original downtown.

I checked and the last changes made to it was in 2013, which I believe is the date I installed the entire game (again).

And please, if you find any mistakes in the process, do let me know.
Trainee Moderator
#13 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 8:20 AM Last edited by Jawusa : 6th Sep 2015 at 9:16 PM.
It's okay then.
Did you check whether you can unlock all of the mountain vacation memories?
That's an important thing. I don't think they will also add Three Lakes after adding Downtown as a vacation destination so you should make sure that everything is available there.

A full list of vacation memories can be found here

You probably need a massage table, a mountain food stand, a hidden mountain lot (Big Foot's house), a camping ground with a tree ring display, axe throwing thing and log rolling thing and of course tents, more hotels. Maybe also cheep hotels, not only expensive ones like HoFT, maybe also a souvenir shop.

Here's a tutorial of creating custom hidden vacation lots. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537766
Maxon didn't mention it but every secret mountain vacation lot should have a stereo (the black and cheap one), so the Big Foot can perform slap dance.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 12:30 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 6th Sep 2015 at 2:27 PM.
Thank you for the suggestions, Jawusa!

You're certainly right about cheap hotels. I'll try to make use of any of the premade lots, that way, it retains it's EAxis feel. (And just to let everyone know, not all hotel rooms in the HoFT are expensive, some are cheap, because they're quite small. )

As for the vacation mementos, I was actually hoping to keep Downtown as it is, with minimal changes, to retain it's EAxis touch. However, if it is absolutely necessary to be able to get most/some of them, I'd be happy edit a few lots to include some of the necessary objects. For example, Maple Springs Pool and Spa can be edited to include a massage table, as well a sauna. It's a spa, so it should include those.

I could even add all three food bars (tropical, far eastern and mountain) to any community lot that can hold all three (or build a new one), so it's like a food court/garden. I think that would be nice.

A small 'antiques' shop would be perfect to hold all the vacation souvenirs too!

And since it's a Downtown, I was hoping I wouldn't need to have Bigfoot around, since... well... it's a city. And people can add Three Lakes if they want to get the rest of the mementos, as some would not make sense in a city themed destination. :S

Anyways, I'll start working on it. Again, thanks for the suggestions, quite helpful! :D

ETA: I've edited Maple Springs Pool and Spa to include the massage tables and sauna. I've uploaded pictures as well and will be uploading more as I go.

ETA2: Added souvenir stand to Deh'Jahvu Modern Art Museum. I also added the jewelry stand in The Corner Shoppes and Cold Issue Clothing.

ETA3: I've built a food court that houses all three food stands. Added a pic.
Screenshots
Trainee Moderator
#15 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 5:25 PM
IMO, it would be nice to see the Big Foot around town, he would be a better and a more-friendly alternative to Mrs. Crumplebottom. In downtown/ cities, people can be depressed so there's someone (a teddy bear in life size) who is always there for them and cheers them up.

It's your neighborhood of course so you decide what you want to do.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 9:45 PM
IMO, it would be nice to see the Big Foot around town, he would be a better and a more-friendly alternative to Mrs. Crumplebottom. In downtown/ cities, people can be depressed so there's someone (a teddy bear in life size) who is always there for them and cheers them up.

It's your neighborhood of course so you decide what you want to do.

I'm considering creating two versions of the neighborhood, one without Bigfoot, for those who want to keep Downtown as it is, and focus on the Tricous (and legends of vampires ), and another one with Bigfoot. And BTW, thank you for the links! Those will come in quite handy!

I'm working on a "cheap" hotel, by the name of 'Downton Alley Hotel'. (Some of you might get the pun/reference).

I've uploaded a pic of it as well. Yeah, I'm kinda having fun with the allowhighestlevel cheat. (I thought it only worked through the userstartup.cheat, like certain other cheats as well, that's why I never used it in my own custom neighborhoods (I didn't need it anyway.) )
Screenshots
Trainee Moderator
#17 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 10:07 PM
Ooh! I will get the bigfoot version of course.

As for the hotel, to me it doesn't look cheap, it looks rather expensive. But maybe that's the point?
And I didn't get the pun/reference. I have no idea. Maybe Downton Abbey, the British TV series?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 10:08 PM
Ooh! I will get the bigfoot version of course.

As for the hotel, to me it doesn't look cheap, it looks rather expensive. But maybe that's the point?
And I didn't get the pun/reference. I have no idea. Maybe Downton Abbey, the British TV series?

Yep! That's the one!

And maybe I should remove some of the floors off the top, I think if it's smaller, it would look more like a cheap hotel? Idk... One thing's for sure is that rooms are quite small (4x6), so they should be cheap. (Maybe I could make one or two rooms a bit bigger, in case anyone wants a more spacious room, cause those will be quite crowded! )
Trainee Moderator
#19 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 10:14 PM
With 'cheap' hotels, I was thinking of motels...
This hotel can be the not-so expensive but also the not-so cheap hotel.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 9:17 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th Sep 2015 at 3:11 PM.
With 'cheap' hotels, I was thinking of motels...
This hotel can be the not-so expensive but also the not-so cheap hotel.

Yeah, you're right. So I started building a Motel, so this one will be named Downton Alley Motel, and the other hotel has been renamed to Upton Valley Hotel.

I've uploaded a pic of it. Six rooms, room sizes range between 4x5 to 4x7. So it should be relatively cheap if I'm gonna expand the other hotel's rooms, to make it more expensive.
Screenshots
Trainee Moderator
#21 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 9:29 PM
Lol! I love the names of the two lots. I see what you did there.

Your motel looks good! Great job!
Are you also going to include camping grounds? Those lots are also hotels but they are completely free.
Then you would have 4 types of hotels.

It's your neighbhorhood of course.
You don't have to include bigfoots, camping grounds and such things. I'm just giving suggestions.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 3:09 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th Sep 2015 at 8:33 PM.
Lol! I love the names of the two lots. I see what you did there.

Your motel looks good! Great job!
Are you also going to include camping grounds? Those lots are also hotels but they are completely free.
Then you would have 4 types of hotels.

It's your neighbhorhood of course.
You don't have to include bigfoots, camping grounds and such things. I'm just giving suggestions.

No it's okay! I appreciate the idea(s); they do make Downtown seem even more interesting. Thank you!

Now for the camping grounds, I'm might turn Gothier Green Lawns into a camping site. With all the ghosts running around, I'm pretty sure things will be quite creepy (and interesting). Imagine the endless ghost stories!

And BTW, the "expensive" hotel, Upton Valley Hotel, is now complete. 8 bedrooms in total. I also removed the excess floors on top, to avoid any possible lagging. I've uploaded a pic, so let me know what you think! :D

P.S. I'll have to go back and edit things around in the motel, just to add a few dining tables into each room.

ETA: What are the requirements for a functioning camping site?
Screenshots
Trainee Moderator
#23 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 9:51 PM
It's quite simple. Place some tents. Three Lakes' camping ground has 6 tents and a hammock (not the palm tree one) so I also would add 6 tents.
There should be a rolling log and throwing axe and also a mountain food stand. Oh and you also should add a log fire/bonfire. I think that should be everything.

Here's a picture of EA's camping ground lot.

Oh and when you are done, save the lot and type in "changeLotZoning hotel". This is a special hotel, the stay is free so there is no bellhop, which is fine. Don't place the bellhop's table in there. It's not necessary and it may not work as a free camping ground when you place it.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 11:01 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th Sep 2015 at 11:26 PM.
It's quite simple. Place some tents. Three Lakes' camping ground has 6 tents and a hammock (not the palm tree one) so I also would add 6 tents.
There should be a rolling log and throwing axe and also a mountain food stand. Oh and you also should add a log fire/bonfire. I think that should be everything.

Here's a picture of EA's camping ground lot.

Oh and when you are done, save the lot and type in "changeLotZoning hotel". This is a special hotel, the stay is free so there is no bellhop, which is fine. Don't place the bellhop's table in there. It's not necessary and it may not work as a free camping ground when you place it.

Well, I'm using Gothier Green Lawns as the camp ground, so there won't be space for any of those activities there (unless I include them in Sim Center North/South, since those parks seem more spacious), however, that lot is pretty well equipped! I managed to place 6 tents, so whoever wants to camp there will do fine.

Good to know that there aren't many requirements.

Thank you, Jawusa!
Trainee Moderator
#25 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 10:52 AM
But were you able to place the food stand? This object is important, otherwise the sims will starve there.

You're welcome!

My Simblr
Page 1 of 4