Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 9:12 AM
Default Leaving The Sims 4
Honestly I stopped playing the game along time ago, but always had the intention of booting back up once the game was fleshed out a little more. My problem came when it became evident that all future content would be limited to $20 game packs or $40 expansion packs. I don't intend on offending people who can enjoy TS4, but for me personally it seems like a ludicrous slap in the face to fans. One that continues to get worse with every month they continue to try and convince us that Sims 4 wasn't an abandoned MMO thrown together as a cash grab. It has some good things going for it, but honestly so did The Sims: Busting Out, but I don't think Busting Out should have been a major numbered PC release. Anyways, I'm interested to see how many people in this community are feeling the same way. Are we just like the people who refused to play Sims 3, or is Sims 4 actually as bad as I feel it is. Don't know. Either way Fallout 4 comes out soon so.....I know what I'll be doing.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 9:57 AM
Meeting of the Sims 4 team.

'Sad news,' the chairman looks glum. 'Tonicmole has left.'

The people in the room hang their heads and on some cheeks, the glistening of a tear can be seen.

'This is it. The end,' sobs the boss's secretary. 'I warned you all that we should have consulted with tonicmole. She (or he) knows how to make a game. Not like you lot', she hisses and flounces from the room.

'It's a sad day indeed,' one guru takes out a paper bag and puts it on his head. 'The shame of it all. We did try though.' but his voice is too muffled to be heard clearly.

'Well, no point going on is there?' The chairman, sighs heavily and closes his briefcase. 'So long all. I am off for a long deserved rest. You may as well all empty your drawers and join the job queue. No point...' and his voice fades as he trudges from the room.

'Lucky Fallout 4,' mutters another guru. I hope they realise that they need to keep on top of their game. Otherwise' and he lowers his voice and frowns darkly, 'Tonicmole will leave them too.'

One by one they shuffle out of the room. The tea lady picks up the empty cups and frowns.

'Who?' she asks the empty room.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tonicmole
It has some good things going for it, but honestly so did The Sims: Busting Out, but I don't think Busting Out should have been a major numbered PC release.

Well then you're luck in then because it was never a PC release.

Anyways, I'm interested to see how many people in this community are feeling the same way. Are we just like the people who refused to play Sims 3, or is Sims 4 actually as bad as I feel it is. Don't know. Either way Fallout 4 comes out soon so.....I know what I'll be doing.
The Sims 4 is beyond bad. Its very core design is flawed. But to be honest, The Sims 3 isn't much better, although at least The Sims 3 can be bandaged and stitched into something resembling a simulator.

One launched TS4 earlier and feel asleep 40 minutes into the game play. And I'm not exaggerating. I really did feel asleep.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 12:07 PM
Tonicmole, while I am still enjoying this journey myself and don't see it in the same light, I wish happy trails to you. May you find greener pastures.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 3:32 PM Last edited by koalaluvv : 19th Oct 2015 at 12:41 AM.
I see myself on the same path. I literally just make sims, share them on the gallery and exit the game. To be honest that's what's most enjoyable about this game to me. We finally got the CAS we've been begging for (minus the create a pattern or a colour wheel) and it seems we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. Which is shown in the core gameplay, it all feels repetitive whereas in CAS whenever I make a sim it's always a completely new sim. I'll just keep hunting for cc and making sims, but actually going into live mode? Nah, not for me.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by koalaluvv
I see myself on the same path. I literally just make sims, share them on the gallery and exit the game. To be honest that's what's most enjoyable about this game to me. We finally got the CAS we've been begging for (minus the create a pattern or a colour wheel) and it seems we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. Which is shown in the core gameplay, it all feels repetitive whereas in CAS whenever I make a sim it's always a completely new sim. I'll just keep making hunting for cc and making sims, but actually going into live mode? Nah, not for me.

yeah that is basically what i use it for that and designing homes i dont do much actually live playing >_> but ive come to terms with that, i have other games. lol
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 7:36 PM
I see myself on the same path. I literally just make sims, share them on the gallery and exit the game. To be honest that's what's most enjoyable about this game to me. We finally got the CAS we've been begging for (minus the create a pattern or a colour wheel) and it seems we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. Which is shown in the core gameplay, it all feels repetitive whereas in CAS whenever I make a sim it's always a completely new sim. I'll just keep making hunting for cc and making sims, but actually going into live mode? Nah, not for me.

Yeah, that's me too. I bought the base game when it was half price, haven't added any EPs or SPs. Maybe when they go on sale. I love the way the CAS works, it would be perfect if we had a color wheel, but I could get past those limitations. I like making sims, but it's just so damn boring to play the game.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 7:37 PM

Pretty much. Ever since I got my TS3 working again, I haven't had much an interest in TS4 anymore. I haven't really played the game in two months now. I recently tried to do a legacy challenge in TS4. I got as far as two sim days before I decided "I'm bored. Let's do this in TS3, instead"

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:13 AM
I see myself on the same path. I literally just make sims, share them on the gallery and exit the game. To be honest that's what's most enjoyable about this game to me. We finally got the CAS we've been begging for (minus the create a pattern or a colour wheel) and it seems we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. Which is shown in the core gameplay, it all feels repetitive whereas in CAS whenever I make a sim it's always a completely new sim. I'll just keep hunting for cc and making sims, but actually going into live mode? Nah, not for me.

Add me to this list. I feel exactly the same.

I must say this, though: Without the experience of being so bored and disappointed by TS4, I never would have played Fallout 3, the Bioshock series, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Dishonored, Tomb Raider (2013) and many, many other wonderful games. :lovestruc
Thanks for broadening my gaming horizons, TS4.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 8:39 AM Last edited by tonicmole : 20th Oct 2015 at 8:54 AM.
I think this is a far more common situation which would explain EA's fiscal year earnings report listing The Sims franchise being partially responsible for bringing down their earnings. I think the base game sold pretty decent, but I think the EP's are take'n a major hit. I think a lot of people are skipping them waiting for an update that will never come. It's not so much that they ignore a vast majority of their fans, but they are even rude about it. Mainly it's because the game sucks.

@FigLilly That's all fine and good, however I have been part of this community for a while now. 6 years I think. Modding the Sims longer than that. I remember when I built my first house in the original Sims and to save money I put the toilet in the livingroom. All my guest just pee'd on the floor. I remember how amped I was when they released Sims 2. The Sims were in a 3D world!!!!! It blew my mind. Then the Sims 3 giant open world, exploration and so on. Honestly I loved it, but took time to grow on me. I even played all the console games, Busting Out on the Gamecube was so badass. So, when I say I have no interest continuing to invest in the Sims 4. It matters, because that means millions of fans just like me feel the same. Historically when I lose interest, it's pretty much the end. I'm the barometer for failure.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 9:05 AM
Receptacle Part II. Thanks so much for stopping by.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 10:39 AM
It matters, because that means millions of fans just like me feel the same.

Yeah, million of fans think just like you. You guys are totally not a vocal minority
Instructor
#14 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by weerbesu
Yeah, million of fans think just like you. You guys are totally not a vocal minority

Not sure if agreeing would mean supporting your sarcasm or supporting your actual words (without context), so I'll just say that "us guys" don't seem to be a vocal minority... (although I play Sims 4, it can't hold my attention and I probably won't buy any expansions past GTW).
Forum Resident
#15 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 12:12 AM
I think this is a far more common situation which would explain EA's fiscal year earnings report listing The Sims franchise being partially responsible for bringing down their earnings. I think the base game sold pretty decent, but I think the EP's are take'n a major hit. I think a lot of people are skipping them waiting for an update that will never come. It's not so much that they ignore a vast majority of their fans, but they are even rude about it. Mainly it's because the game sucks.

@FigLilly That's all fine and good, however I have been part of this community for a while now. 6 years I think. Modding the Sims longer than that. I remember when I built my first house in the original Sims and to save money I put the toilet in the livingroom. All my guest just pee'd on the floor. I remember how amped I was when they released Sims 2. The Sims were in a 3D world!!!!! It blew my mind. Then the Sims 3 giant open world, exploration and so on. Honestly I loved it, but took time to grow on me. I even played all the console games, Busting Out on the Gamecube was so badass. So, when I say I have no interest continuing to invest in the Sims 4. It matters, because that means millions of fans just like me feel the same. Historically when I lose interest, it's pretty much the end. I'm the barometer for failure.

Source?

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 1:34 AM
I was wondering how long it'd take you to get here XD

Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
Not sure if agreeing would mean supporting your sarcasm or supporting your actual words (without context), so I'll just say that "us guys" don't seem to be a vocal minority... (although I play Sims 4, it can't hold my attention and I probably won't buy any expansions past GTW).

Just the fact that you're on a site dedicated to The Sims and making posts about the game already makes you a minority.

Most players would never spend any length of time talkling about the game on the Internet. Or even following the news about the game on social media. Those who do are the small group of hardcore fans who don't even remotely represent the player base.

ΔΤΔ
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 3:07 AM
Same thing with you though.

Non-forum people who like the game will play it. Non-forum people who don't like the game will quit and move on.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 5:36 AM
True. The thing is, we can't tell who the majority is based on what is said here. I'm not sure we can even tell it by those who post at the official forums. And no, tonic, you are not the barometer. I've been playing Sims since the beginning, too, and with few exceptions (freeplay, for example), I've played most of the versions. I like this game and find lots about it to appreciate. I know plenty of other people who are old-time Simmers as well who enjoy this game. Does that make us the majority? I can't tell that by visiting a forum or even by talking to the like-minded people I know.

Of the people I poll about The Sims (mostly teens), a few have heard of this site and none go here regularly or post.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
True. The thing is, we can't tell who the majority is based on what is said here. I'm not sure we can even tell it by those who post at the official forums. And no, tonic, you are not the barometer. I've been playing Sims since the beginning, too, and with few exceptions (freeplay, for example), I've played most of the versions. I like this game and find lots about it to appreciate. I know plenty of other people who are old-time Simmers as well who enjoy this game. Does that make us the majority? I can't tell that by visiting a forum or even by talking to the like-minded people I know.

Of the people I poll about The Sims (mostly teens), a few have heard of this site and none go here regularly or post.

Absolutely. In act, going by my personal frame of reference (the people I know that play computer games and TS4 in particular - I belong to no computer club or game cafe by the way), of 20-odd people, only one has ever downloaded mods but otherwise doesn't bother with forums, one I used to save mods to a USB stick for her as she couldn't navigate such a site herself (believe it or not - I know a few), and the rest quite like or accept the game as it is with most not even knowing what a mod or game forum is. So, personally, I'd have to say from that frame of reference, that the majority of players don't post to forums at all.

The statistical facts might read otherwise but that's how perceptions work - the "I've seen 10 people say they didn't like what I didn't like on a forum so we are a majority" doesn't actually make it a fact but is what your mind believes. And the "I loved the previous Diablo games but don't play Diablo III, so I think it spells the end of the franchise if I don't like it" (I actually don't play III but I never thought it would spell doom for the franchise because of it) also doesn't pan out as fact no matter how much one believes it. Having realised this, doesn't mean that low sales will ever see TS5 be made, it makes sense not to make it.

I wonder how many actual, recent (since TS4 release) individual posters (not lurkers) there are on this forum compared to the TS4 sales figures? Is this statistically the most popular sims forum?

-- The Roc
Field Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 12:22 AM
I'm at the stage of ditching TS4 and actually trying to make some new body types for TS2 - for various reasons, but how well it runs on current gen laptops is a big factor. 3 was a flop for me. I held out, hoping 4 would be better, but other than having the best CAS yet, it isn't. Worth owning the base game to create full families, but even that I couldn't bear to pay full price for. I have decided to stop moping and do something about my lack of enjoyment of the games, by updating TS2 (which I now hold to be the greatest of the franchise, but for a long time was unable to as I didn't have any good CAS items or the patience to mod it).

What would a surge in popularity for the (now-FREE) TS2 say to EA? Would they notice? Seems about the right way to protest: taking what's available and ignoring future updates for TS4 unless groundbreaking. Even if this has no effect on EA, we still win because we have a playable Sims title in 2015.
Scholar
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 6:38 AM
I think the gameplay has become too serious to be fun anymore.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 3:41 PM
Define serious. It's pretty much got the same tone as other sims' games but none of the substance

Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 4:28 PM
A year from now, I hope that things will have changed so drastically that we aren't in the position that we are now. I hope we can, as a group, look back and think...wow, I'm so glad that's behind us. So, either I want to see vast improvements that everyone can enjoy, across the board, or they just flat out nuke the sucker and give us something we can all look forward to. I want a Things Changeā„¢ - For The Better - moment.

That is my challenge to them.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#25 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 6:19 PM
One can only hope. Personally, I think it's too late for TS4 to really change the way I want it to. The kind of changes I'd need from it would require them to almost start over from scratch and their pretty adamant about this "wonderful new engine" that's supposedly better than what they had before. It looks more like they're a lot more limited than before but if that's what they consider better then who am I to judge :/

Page 1 of 4