Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:40 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 24th Oct 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Default How to deal with loss of any kind...Join in.
As it is well-known, I recently was broken up with Vincent.

My grief in solitude usually makes for fuel in the most indirect sense. This fuel pushes me to move forward in creative endeavors and today, I'm working on the soundtrack (as in the audio of a video and not the album featuring songs and score from the video) for a comedy with my existing dolls.

I glean from Internet searches, my music collection and in the case of a real-life 404, I record it. I was going to find the Eggman announcements from Sonic Colors and see which ones would fit well with a school.

In months past, my research on voice acting turned up some surprising results. Some of the voice actors for the Web Cartoon for Monster High shown on the YouTube Channel have lent their voices to Sonic the Hedgehog series of games and the second dub of Sailor Moon. The Studiopolis Studios have a stable of actors, not unlike what Walt Disney had in his films during his lifetime (Alice and Wendy were voiced by the same girl and Winnie the Pooh, Kaa, the Cheshire Cat and Roquefort are done by the same soft-spoken man). The actress Kate Higgins voices Frankie Stein in Monster High and Ami Mizuno\Sailor Mercury in the second dub of Sailor Moon. However, the voices are pretty much the same in delivery. I can only imagine Frankie as Sailor Mercury, but being she runs on electricity, she'd short herself out with Sailor Mercury's water powers.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 2:00 AM
I'm confused. Is this a topic of talking about how to cope with loses, or a topic about voice acting?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

#3 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 2:04 AM
Default How to deal with loss of any kind...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I'm confused. Is this a topic of talking about how to cope with loses, or a topic about voice acting?

I think Panda's just sharing what she's been doing to keep her mind off of her breakup (her loss).

For me, I do what I do in every situation: Play lots and lots of video games. I also let myself wallow in my sadness or else it's just going to keep nagging at me. Isolate yourself for a bit so you don't bother others or feel embarrassed and then be the most annoying, blubbering, pathetic person you can be until you feel better.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
I think Panda's just sharing what she's been doing to keep her mind off of her breakup (her loss.

Video production is one way I channel my feelings of loss. When using sound files, it's a matter of aligning them with the timeline on the production to make it flow seamlessly. I've been in video production since age 10, making music videos for the latest hits on the radio. I took up video production in 9th grade and every year until the end of the first semester of 12th, I was operating the control booth when I wasn't working on promotional videos for animation from various firms worldwide.

I have to say I have 25 years experience operating computers of both Macs and PCs and 18 years working in digital video production and with that, you can deduce I'm a prodigy with computers, starting at age 3.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 5:17 AM
It seems Computer Whiz would be one your traits.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#7 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion

Pour me a shot, Babycakes.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 11:18 AM

I'd try the whisky to help get over my recent loss but I'm under age and I'm not allowed to drink, but hot chocolate is doing the trick for me.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 12:57 PM
I like what you're doing, Panda. Throwing yourself into an activity sounds a lot healthier than how I've coped with loss and hurt in the past, which was to withdraw from all activities and people and to lie down on a couch, cry for hours, and feel the depth of coldness at my core. Drowning yourself in alcohol or any other indulgent behavior can help, but it's also important to put a time limit on that one before it becomes the great escape.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Oct 2015 at 12:27 AM
Well, my mother bought a doll for me to make up for the lousy party gift. I received an 18" Monster High Doll that was based on "The Blob". I saw the movie and it was campy and B-grade in production values.

She let me go home after our second excursion because I had a bad case of diarrhea throughout the day. I made sure to drink fluids and I rested.

I later went on an organizational spree.

#11 Old 28th Oct 2015 at 7:03 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 28th Oct 2015 at 7:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I like what you're doing, Panda. Throwing yourself into an activity sounds a lot healthier than how I've coped with loss and hurt in the past, which was to withdraw from all activities and people and to lie down on a couch, cry for hours, and feel the depth of coldness at my core. Drowning yourself in alcohol or any other indulgent behavior can help, but it's also important to put a time limit on that one before it becomes the great escape.

The Irishman in me still advocates Drink for 'False Loss' - when you think you've fucked up and lost it all, when in actuality you haven't and it's all been a misunderstanding of cosmic proportions.

For False Loss, the time limit would be before the bar closes and when your best friend says 'you've had enough, mate' and drags you bodily into the street to point you towards home and/or before you're too drunk to coherently send messages which if drunk would run along the lines of 'ImSooooSorryBabyILOveyooooU'
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Oct 2015 at 11:05 AM
The Irishman in me still advocates Drink for 'False Loss' - when you think you've fucked up and lost it all, when in actuality you haven't and it's all been a misunderstanding of cosmic proportions.

For False Loss, the time limit would be before the bar closes and when your best friend says 'you've had enough, mate' and drags you bodily into the street to point you towards home and/or before you're too drunk to coherently send messages which if drunk would run along the lines of 'ImSooooSorryBabyILOveyooooU'
lol This reminds me of a story of a man whose love broke up with him, so he took his best pal out and got drunk. Once drunk, he thought it was a great idea to get a tattoo, a large heart shaped on on his trunk with his ex-love's name boldly written on it. Luckily for him, his next love, who ended up being the life-long one, had the same name. Some people fall in a pile of stuff and still end up smelling like roses.
#13 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 5:36 AM
lol This reminds me of a story of a man whose love broke up with him, so he took his best pal out and got drunk. Once drunk, he thought it was a great idea to get a tattoo, a large heart shaped on on his trunk with his ex-love's name boldly written on it. Luckily for him, his next love, who ended up being the life-long one, had the same name. Some people fall in a pile of stuff and still end up smelling like roses.

This happened to me a few years ago! Except I wasn't mourning a loss, I'd been out and managed to get a bit .. 'happy' .. woke up the next morning with a headache and a nipple piercing I don't really recall asking for ...

Considering what else I might have considered having pierced whilst under the influence of Spanish brandy, I think I got off lightly ...
Scholar
#14 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 7:58 AM
This happened to me a few years ago! Except I wasn't mourning a loss, I'd been out and managed to get a bit .. 'happy' .. woke up the next morning with a headache and a nipple piercing I don't really recall asking for ...

Considering what else I might have considered having pierced whilst under the influence of Spanish brandy, I think I got off lightly ...

Ouch. I'm so glad there's laws against this kind of thing in the US. Tattoo shops (at least reputable ones) must refuse a drunk customer. Well, I think it's a law, anyway.

Theorist
#15 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 4:12 PM
I lost my dad months ago and it's still consuming my thoughts most of the day. So far I've dealt with it by crying a lot, breaking down at the weirdest most unexpected times, eating comfort foods like cookies and sweets (but for some reason losing weight, weird), selling his stuff on eBay, stressing out over all the financial and real-estate crap I have to go through, and going through his acres of media to see if there's anything personal on them. Found a few microcassettes with his dictation and found a really cool old cassette, probably 20yrs old, of him talking to my grandpa. It's very exhausting and I wish I could do something to relax and take my mind off it like play a game. I haven't touched any video games since he died, because I feel like I have so much to do, I'm not letting myself enjoy my free time until it's done. I feel like I would give anything just to have nothing on my plate to do and be able to relax with a whole night of playing Sims or something similarly mindless. Only reason I still troll forums at all is because I do it at work when I'm on break.

Running oneself ragged to the point of physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion is probably not the best way to go about coping with loss, but so far I feel it's the only way I'll get anything done when there's still so much left to do.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#16 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
Ouch. I'm so glad there's laws against this kind of thing in the US. Tattoo shops (at least reputable ones) must refuse a drunk customer. Well, I think it's a law, anyway.

But in an old episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians Kris got drunk and got an hideous tramp stamp of her younger daughters' names!

Are you telling me that reality shows are completely staged and out of touch with reality?

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
I thought this did happen in the US. Maybe the laws have changed or are not the same from one state to the other? BTW, I heard the story from his friend who got a "sympathy" tatoo that evening, but without any names in it.
Banned
#18 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:38 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 29th Oct 2015 at 10:46 PM.
Guys, keep it down a little. I don't want to see a thread like this end up in Derpy. Sod it.
Also, I learned to keep calm and carry on two or three years ago. At a kids club, I lost my favourite Ferb 2nd Dimension figure I got in London. I was so upset, I got pulled out of an olympics thing. Now, I regret that dearly.
Moral? Keep an eye on who and what you love.
Scholar
#19 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
But in an old episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians Kris got drunk and got an hideous tramp stamp of her younger daughters' names!

Are you telling me that reality shows are completely staged and out of touch with reality?

*gasp!* Of course that show is real! It's 100% real in every way, shape and form, even the boobs and faces exhibited on the show!

I might be wrong about this law being a thing in the entire US. It might just be in my area.

Scholar
#20 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 11:43 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 30th Oct 2015 at 2:09 AM.
I dunno...I think it's a good idea to get drunk before getting a tattoo. Otherwise it can sting like hell. <--deadpan smiley here

@Aaron4Ever : And what's wrong with this thread? What's so bad about keeping our own little piece of Derpy here in OTD? <--tongue in cheek here

edited to add: Apparently my old-lady-humor has failed me again.
Scholar
#21 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 12:19 AM
I think it has more to do with people going into tattoo shops and getting regrettable tattoos/piercings on a drunken whim then trying to sue the shop/artist afterwards. Like this. I agree, if I get a tattoo, I want to be liquored up, even if it means I have to sign some kind of waiver. I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 1:19 AM
So...maybe Aaron is concerned because the thread has become a bit derailed as we chew on the topic of bad decisions while under the influence. But, it does tie in because it's in the context of trying to escape the pain of loss by engaging in risky behavior or by self-medicating.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 5:43 AM
So...maybe Aaron is concerned because the thread has become a bit derailed as we chew on the topic of bad decisions while under the influence. But, it does tie in because it's in the context of trying to escape the pain of loss by engaging in risky behavior or by self-medicating.

I'm sad you guy turned this into a thread more focused on chemical dependency after breaking up.

I was seeking more constructive ways to work through emotional issues.

#24 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 6:36 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 30th Oct 2015 at 6:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
I'm sad you guy turned this into a thread more focused on chemical dependency after breaking up.

I was seeking more constructive ways to work through emotional issues.

Well, that would be me, as I mentioned alcohol.

Some people prefer to stuff their faces with junk food and crap full of sugar to get over something or seek momentary solace, I prefer a trip to the pub. Either way it's chemical. However, as you appear to be against it, despite it's undoubted existence, I shall refrain from further posting on the subject and offending your sensibilities.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 7:44 AM
I'm against excess consumption.

Page 1 of 2