Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:09 PM
Well, during my early days of playing, I frequently reset towns when something went wrong. After that, I frequently lost towns to computer crashes due to not having backups. Nowadays, I'm a bit wiser so I backup things more and I'm more careful with my laptop and I got a new hard drive, so no crashes. Because of the aforementioned issues, I've never made it past the second generation.

Currently, I'm still on generation 1 in all my towns (just FYI, Generation One, as far as my game goes, are the people who are teens or are childless adults at the start of the game; any adult sim who has children is considered Generation Zero).

Though I haven't gotten far, my plan is for everyone to have at least one child; whether they have more depends on their aspiration, and whether another child would fit into my story for them. Example, a romance sim like Dina Caliente isn't inclined to have children via her aspiration nor do I plan on her having more, so her daughter Nicole is most likely going to be her only child, while Cassandra Goth, who is a family sim and who is planning to marry again soon, will definitely have a few more.

I've gotten up to eight; that was the Ottomas household, I believe. It required me to do some renovations to the house so everybody could be comfortable.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:17 PM
Currently on the 4th native generation (sims made in CAS are 'Generation 0'). The first G5 is due round about March, and I was looking forward to that until I read this thread. Sounds like my hood could be due to implode about then. Bummer.

I prefer to go for two kids per household, though for the past year or so it was just one, as part of a population management drive. One family did have seven, though (four of them made in CAS, along with the parents), and one chap managed to spawn eight kids, each with a different mother (he married the eighth, though mainly to continue his family name).

Never more than eight sims in a house, and I don't like having more than five at a time. Too many sims and I spend more time with the game on pause than actually running.
Test Subject
#28 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 9:29 PM
I have never gotten past 3 generations and I have been playing (off and on) since release. This thread sure makes me feel better, ha.

My sims typically have 2-3 kids, unless their LTW calls for more. I do limit plantsims to one per sim (they can still have other kids normally), just because they are so easy to make, other than that.. I don't really limit them. Never played more than 8 sims in a house.
Inventor
#29 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 10:55 PM
1) How far do your Sims usually get, generation-wise? (Large 'hood with tons of families that slow you down or small 'hood so you can get through them quicker?)

1. I haven't been playing long, only a little over a year. My first couple of hoods were just Belladonna Cove with Uni, Shopping, Vacation, and Downtown attached. I believe I made it to generation 4 (counting the founding sims) in one version. Since I was such a noob, however, I did many Very Bad Things which caused the first one to become unstable. The second I lost because I messed up transferring the files from my old computer to my new one. My first (and so far only) megahood didn't get as far due to crashing I couldn't fix. As far as I could tell, it was because of lots that were too heavy for my computer mixed with 'dirty' lots that likely introduced corruption.

Even when I start with large hoods, I usually play a 'core set' of families and leave the others as background unless they marry in. I don't rush through them, though. I keep adding more time on the sim ages so their lives don't go by too quickly.

2) What's the farthest you've gotten to ever? Do you remember their names?

Sadly, I can't remember the names of the gen 4 kids. All I recall is that they were twins and I left off with them at college.

3) How many kids do you typically get on average for each new generation?

I don't think I ever bothered counting. Since I realized I could easily get swarmed if every member of every generation had kids, I instituted a rule to keep population from rising too fast. Only one (or, at most two) per family is allowed to have kids. They carry the name forward to the next generation. I'll allow two in a family here and there, if there is a second name I want to preserve. Others can marry, but not have children. Those who do have children range from 1-4 kids.

4) What's the highest amount of Sims in a household you've reached?

I think it was 9 in the Ottomas family. I wanted to fulfill Dora's LTW at least once. Otherwise, I keep it between 2-6 per household.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 12:15 AM
I've been playing since Sim1, and have re-installed Sim2 at least 3 times. Like to make my own hoods, and the custom ones by the Hood Building Group. Since I hate any Maxis lot and buildings, I also make my own uni hoods & lots. I don't bother with downtown or shopping hoods, unless it's to use Maxis hoods (cleaned) as sub-hoods.
I like to make each hood unique; my version of Pleasantview is retro themed; no abductions, unwed moms, or divorce.
I'm surprised I've never gotten more than 4 generations. Always play with free-will on, but micro-manage. Always aging-on...until I get bored and age everyone up. And that's my most common problem, I just get bored. Then kill entire families, or delete the whole hood.
I like pregnant women and toddlers, so make too many! Have been know to regret this and give babies/toddlers/kids away (via the Ogre). I don't allow social worker, so have had a house full of kids, miserable toddlers, and filthy starving babies - that had to wait for a kid to turn teen so they could become a miserable toddler. Then I have to go play a 1950's happy family where everyone is nice...
Biggest family - 34. And it was interesting to micro-manage EVERYONE, including the pets! "You want another ugly kid? SURE!"

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#31 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
I cant remember when I started the neighborhood though, is there a way to check that in the game files? That'd be interesting to see!
You can tell quite easily provided that you started by creating one or more families in CAS, and provided that your in-game camera was working when you started. Look in the Storytelling folder for the neighbourhood concerned, and arrange the pictures by date. The game creates a picture (for use in the loading screens) of your Sims just as they leave CAS. So your oldest such picture will show your original Sims in their original clothes and hairstyles. Here's my first picture of Andrew and Gloria:

It's dated 30th November 2012, 11:32:36. So I know exactly (almost to the second!) when I started to play Veronaville. (I see Andrew was wearing sandals with socks even then! )

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Honey, I've been playing longer than you and some of the first adults I made in CAS are still alive. (Well, okay, one.) And my families are so big I think in terms of age cohorts rather than generations.
I'm afraid I haven't been paying as much attention as I should to all your posts Peni. Who is the last survivor?

I'm afraid both Andrew and I might go into a terminal decline if Gloria died.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:05 AM
1) How far do your Sims usually get, generation-wise? (Large 'hood with tons of families that slow you down or small 'hood so you can get through them quicker?)
Four generations is as far as I have ever gone in a hood, I've done that a few times. I have done large hoods and small hoods. I prefer small hoods now.

I can barely remember the names of my current sims let alone from past hoods.

I don't know as I've never counted. Most houses have 2-3 kids. I am guessing Coral Bay with it's 12+ starting couples had about 30 kids. My large old hood probably had 60. Having babies in sims is one of my favourite things to do in game. I use to often have 4-10 kids per household but realized I never wanted to play them once they became teens because there were too many so I reigned in my baby enthusiasm to 4 at the most.

If we are allowed to count pets and servo's my largest household was my OWBC challenge. 14 sims which included a cat and 2 servos. It was madness.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I've had 3 born-in-game babies in total. I certainly remember their names! They are Peni-Jo McBain and Peregrine McBain in Veronaville (twins), and Titus Curious in Strangetown. They're all still babies.

Still babies? At least age them up to toddler so they can actually interact with things.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 3:22 AM
Wow...I'm about 20 or 21 generations deep and I've been playing my 'hood for about 1.5 years now. I love having such a long family history! I didn't realise how few generations other people tend to have.

My original family broke off into only two lineages, though. So my founding family only really has two living descendants currently in the hood passing on their genes. I greatly limit how many babies are born for the sake of controllability.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 4:33 AM
You must play very fast. I've been playing Coral Bay for a year and the founders children are now at Uni.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#36 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 5:56 AM
I was talking to my Origin friend earlier and found out she started a new 'hood today. She's already working on gen 4.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 6:27 AM
You can't have sims meet, be pregnant, go through the baby, toddler, child, teen and uni years, find a mate and start over 3 times all in one day of playing without cheating through a lot of things.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#38 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can't have sims meet, be pregnant, go through the baby, toddler, child, teen and uni years, find a mate and start over 3 times all in one day of playing without cheating through a lot of things.

She probably used maxmotives a lot of times. And I think she meant one household.

Scholar
#39 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 11:43 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 30th Oct 2015 at 2:46 PM.
Do players on here count the CAS as part of the generation count? Because if so, its very easy to get through 4 generations in one snap even with minimal cheating, If you do count them.
Cas elder, cas couple with a couple of teens, skip young adult stage, let them get married to a similare family and ta-daa, 4 generation. With Inteen/teen woohoo, it goes even faster.......Unless of course, you were like me started of off with 20+ founders or using longer aging mods (I use 1/3 shorter lifespan but added YA as a mandatory stage with Scringe college pack) , that doesnt take that long.

....if not, Im on generation five-six as I always start with two generation cas families, but with aging up cheats (because I found a mini corruption, I needed to go back to generation 7 with cas families counted, which ended up being a good thing, I like the reboot alot better than previous one. So far only three 8 generation teens are born (6 if cas excluded), yes, aged up. But it going to take one-to-three longer 6 days rotations before they can get married because now they have kids later after they are graduated instead of late teen).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 1:46 PM
When people ask how many generations have you gotten to, they are not talking about instant 3 gen CAS made families, they mean played families.
The assumption here is they started with one or two CAS adults. Now if they start with a couple that cuts out a day or more of spouse hunting, and we will assume they age up as soon as possible with each generation getting pregnant right away and the game is on vanilla aging. So 3 days of pregnancy+ 2 days of babyhood +3 days of toddlerhood + 7days of childhood. Now they could save many days by sending the teen to uni the same night as they age and dropping them out immediately. In which case they could have 0 days for teen and YA. But then they would have to spouse hunt or they could make someone suitable and merge them into the house. That is 15 days at the very minimum from placing the first CAS sims to bringing back the adult from dropping out. If the first couple are counted as gen 1 then the birth of the first great grandchild is gen 4. That is at a very tight squeeze 45 sim days. Even over 8 hours of playing you would have to complete a sim day every 5-6 minutes of real time.

I count my founders as gen 1 unless I am playing a challenge that specifically states they are gen 0. Any parents or grandparents made in CAS don't count.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#41 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:34 PM
JoandSarah.
Ok. In my first reply, I did count the cas as part of the generation count (and I believe Im not alone, Ive always counted that way.) But if excluding the elder founders, it would be gen 6, 7 with newly born sims.

But its little strange to assume everyone play the same speed since not everyone play vanilla or having same mods. (teen pregnancy, speeding up time, lifespan and pregnancy mods, merging families via neighborhood etc) and asked because I reacted to post 37 and 38 (not to criticize though! I just don't see anything wrong with "cheating", its not like everyone is playing a challenge )
Theorist
#42 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:35 PM
In my game, CAS sims count as generation 1 and they start as single adults. Sims related to the founders represent the 6th generation.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 2:56 PM
Playing more like Peni does, I have had some fourth and fifth generations, but my elders are still alive when their kids become elders. Yes, it is not realistic - but I do not care Some of them deserve it, they have chosen to cheat death with the genie lamp, others have so many rewards points that I can keep feeding them elixir of life for a long time to come, and others are just too damn nice, so I go "aging off" on them. I handle it by simply moving the elders to their own retirement village on a beautiful island. (And my family reunions are quite something )
Scholar
#44 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 9:21 PM
Generation 2, adult stage. I like the early stages of a neighborhood best, setting up things, settling in the sims and so on. After that I move on.

My longest running neighborhoods are Sims 1 reloaded and Desiderata Valley, both from 2007. Both have a population of around 150 playables, but reached only Gen. 3 (with one familly having a Gen. 4 baby). I don´t know how long I really played those neighborhoods, as there were Sims 3, Sims 4, all my short lived Sims 2 neighborhoods and times when I didn´t play sims at all. Three years would be a good estimate.

I´m playing the fifths generation of the Shepards and in Desiderata Valley the Marquis have reached Gen. 4.
The Marquis bloodline runs Donton + Doloria Marquis = Anakin + Amalia Wilson = Amalia jnr. + Gallaghar Newson = Don (baby)
The Shepards are Costa Shepard + Rosalinde Baum = Ambrose + Tina Traveller = Michaela + Almeric Davis = Elaine + Jenny Shepard = Cosimo (teen)
But that was easy because I´m currently playing the Shepards and know my Desideratans by heart. Wouldn´t be able to recite the names of the residents of rarely played neighborhoods so easily

A family has two kids on average. There´s a small but steady growth all around.

22, I think, in an orphanage challenge where you started with 17 sims and added a new kid every week.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
JoandSarah.
But its little strange to assume everyone play the same speed since not everyone play vanilla or having same mods. (teen pregnancy, speeding up time, lifespan and pregnancy mods, merging families via neighborhood etc) and asked because I reacted to post 37 and 38 (not to criticize though! I just don't see anything wrong with "cheating", its not like everyone is playing a challenge )

I wasn't, I was referring to Alpal425 friend who sounded new to Sims 2 and was meaning- if they are playing vanilla-since they are new to sims2-this is the maths. I wasn't talking about those of us here who use age or other mods.

The maths for my own play is quite different since I use 2 day pregnancy and a double ageing mod.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#46 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 11:48 PM
I got to the 3rd generation before my game decided to blank out the characters. Strip them of all of their memories and aspirations and skills and relations. Smh. Currently rebuilding the hood and improving it, but I will create brand new sim families to inhabit it.

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Alchemist
#47 Old 31st Oct 2015 at 1:01 AM
the families with most number of generations in my game I think were a number pre-made families.
most game-born sims reached Child age, and some of them reached Teen age; but only some pre-made characters reached (or exceeded) Adult age.

max number of household members in my game I think was 8. have not yet gotten any packs; and do not have mods specifically for bigger households.
though I do have insimenator.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 31st Oct 2015 at 5:37 AM
Most generations with one single family: 8

Most generations playing rotational style: 7
This was Widespot, and the original 5 households became 15-16. That's about how many I have. per generation, but 4-5 could be single-sim households. So Widespot is still going, the Gen 7 born but not old enough for Uni yet.

Most kids per generation? Not sure. Oh, maybe 15 when Tomorrow Land was going at it, but there was a TREMENDOUS age spread going on. It's very rare for one sim to have that many. 0 or 1 is the most typical number. A few have two, 3 is very rare.

Most sims on a lot actually played: 24, something like that. I was trying to play a Stone Age-style village so I built a bunch of tiny huts on a 6 x 6 lot and let the village grow. Talk about laaaaagggg but it was fun!
Mad Poster
#49 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 1:59 AM
Andrew, Kitty Hawkins has survived all the other core CAS sims, as she came from a younger age cohort than the others. Her husband Goz was the oldest disaster survivor, and she was his second wife, his first having died while trying to have their first child. The two of them and their triple bolts kind of did an end run around the arranged marriages. Her older sister Hilary Aerius was the first of the core CAS sims to die, because in a lot of ways she had the hardest life - even on the day of the disaster, she was already a widow with one child.

Don't ask me how I know all this stuff, I just do.

Kitty has survived the longest partly because, when I made a good-faith effort to fill the ten children want, she got more elixir than anybody else. She stopped at nine because Goz, once he grew to elder, started rolling regular have baby fears, while his wants had refocused to grandchildren. And their kids had been trying to get them on birth control forever, anyhow.

I think one reason I'm having a hard time leaving the GS Uberhood challenge and returning to Drama Acres is that, if Kitty doesn't die this next rotation, she'll almost certainly die during the one after that; and I'm having trouble bringing myself to the point. Losing them has gotten progressively harder - I have to force myself to let go of them at a certain point, and she's there. I think she's got one more vacation trip to Twikkii in her, though!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#50 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 4:46 AM
I took a small TS2 hiatus because I just got a new tablet and have been screwing around with it for the past two days. I'm pretty sure my friend counted the CAS generation. It was just two adults who started off as husband/wife. I don't think she's even loaded in a college subhood yet.

As for me... I got bored with my save. And to think of how close I was to generation 3... gen 2 was a child... I always count the CAS as gen 1. At least, I count any adults. I've never made CAS toddlers/children/teens. I do make elders, however, I also count them as gen1. Any and all from CAS are counted as gen1, even if they're different age groups. Just to make it fair, I suppose.

Page 2 of 3