Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 9:27 AM
I play huge hoods and longer lifespans so it takes me a while to get through generations I think the furthest I've got is around four. Though in my apocalypse hood there were more but I didn't really keep track. Like Peni I don't play strictly generational and sometimes it's hard to tell when one generation ends and the next begins because there is overlap.

Largest household was about 15. They get laggy. I've had hoods with 1000+ characters easily.

I tend to number CAS generations as adults: Gen0, Kids Gen1, Elders Gen-1.

I used to play a game called Creatures which was all about breeding and genetics (it was fascinating, you can get it on Gog fairly inexpensively if you want to try it) and the manual recommended naming each Norn with a letter representing their generation. I never knew how to work out their generation when one parent was Ben and the mother was Cathy. I ended up with a blanket rule of taking the generation from the mother because they are fertile for a shorter time. I think I got up to about L in that game but I kept uninstalling it to play other games (My mum thought you could only have one game installed on a computer at a time )

As for number of kids - totally depends on the hood. Most sims have between one and three with a few outliers who have more and some will remain childfree or adopt from the pool that I have available (not the in-game one).

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Theorist
#52 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 9:20 PM
My way of playing Sims 2 could be divided to two periods. First one, where I created a family that I pre-planned (made sketches about, wrote down *all* Sims, put together a family tree, write how each one of them dies, ..., before even making them), and second one, where I just go with the flow from a legacy I started back in EA Castaway Stories and later on transferred them into TS2 with a shitton of new, castaway-themed CC.

I gotta say I'm pretty surprised my first "period"/"age" of playing TS2 didn't leave me completely uninterested in the game. Looking back, I find my excessive planning to be draining all of the excitement that the game brings. Also, whenever I feel like I should change something among them, I would scrap the entire neighborhood and burn all the papers, then re-write everything from scratch. By the time I reached my 4th redo, I knew pretty much everything/everyone by heart, and it all narrowed down to copy-pasting.

I really have no idea what caused me to live in that mindset. Luckily, when I started playing TSCS, I had the initial "push" - Shipwrecked and Single story. From then on, I decided not to write/forsee anything my Sims would do, not even names of yet-unborn children. I would just let it go, watch as they cheat on each other, die on accident, and in the end, making an actually somewhat interesting story.

Around this time last year, I've also started writing stories of my Sims. This time, they're not pre-written, but instead, contain my interpretations of Sims' actions, with an added element of fiction that I can't reproduce in game (just so the stories are not merely diaries/journals). A year has passed, and I managed to work through that exact story; it's now split into three parts, but all of the pieces of the story coexist, one part making no sense without the other two completing it. Each part is focused on one legacy character/family/household of that one neighborhood; with other Sims of that generation completing the part of the trilogy.

I can't really list all the names of my Sims here, because in the second part of the trilogy, the main character has 10 children, and each child has about two chilren on their own. It was just this one-time experiment I took, where I fulfilled main character's want to have ten children. I don't usually play by wants, and whilst I really like the outcome of this experiment, I'm sure it'd take me quite a while to find time/inspiration/guts to do a similar one again.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#53 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 2:20 PM
@DJ.

I make up most of my Sims on the spot. I decide their names from the first thing that pops into my mind.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
I make up most of my Sims on the spot. I decide their names from the first thing that pops into my mind.
That's how I chose the names for Andrew and Gloria when I first started up the game. I might have given them a little more thought, had I had any idea how important they would become in my life. (Of course I wouldn't dream of changing their names now! :lovestruc )

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#55 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 2:20 PM
Most of the SimHampton Sims follow a naming convention which goes like this:

- First child has the first letter the same as the first letter of whichever parent is the same gender as them and the last letter the same as the last letter of whichever parent did not.

- Second child has the second letter the same as the second letter of whichever parent is the same gender as them and the last letter the same as the last-but-one letter of whichever parent did not.

- Third child has the third letter the same... etc. Names are wrapped round if the child is born to a parent with fewer letters in their name than the parent has children in this relationship.

It may be easier to explain with an example:

Ethel and Noah Arkwright raise a family.
- Child 1 might be a girl named Elizabeth (mother's 1st letter of their name is E, father has a last letter of H) or a boy named Noel (Noel's father has a 1st letter of N, his mother a last letter of L)
- Child 2 might be a girl named Tarana (mother has a 2nd letter of T, father a 2nd-to-last letter of A) or a boy named Olive (father has a 2nd letter of O, mother a 2nd-to-last letter of E)
- Child 3 might be a girl named Halo (mother has a 3rd letter of H, father a 3rd-to-last letter of O) or a boy named Abiasaph (father has a 3rd letter of A, mother a 3rd-to-last letter of H)
- Child 4 might be a girl named Eden (mother has a 4th letter of E, father a 4th-to-last letter of N) or a boy named Halbert (father has a 4th letter of H, mother a 4th-to-last letter of T)
- Child 5 might be a girl named Laish (mother has a 5th letter of E, father's name wraps round back to the last letter of H) or a boy named Nosakhere (father's name wraps round back to the first letter of N, mother has a 5th-to-last letter of E)

If both parents are the same gender (possible with my current mod combination, albeit rare), then a letter from whoever birthed the child starts the name if the child is female, and a letter from the other parent starts the name if the child is male.

Should only one parent be obvious, or the child is the result of an alien abduction or something like that, then the first letter is from the known parent and everything else is free-form.

Children born during affairs are named differently, depending on whether the affair is known or not. If the affair is a (reasonably well-kept) secret, then the child is named as if its parents were the Sims who are officially in a relationship (rather than its actual parents). If the affair is common knowledge, then the child is named as if its parents are its actual parents. If there is a question about whose parents a child may have, and I can't establish the actual parents before the prompt, I name the child as if the "official" relationship rather than the affair produced the child, even if that is logically impossible in the game.

Some sub-cultures within SimHampton have different naming procedures, and sometimes I just plain feel like a change, but that's the usual naming system I use. I am aided in this endeavour by a pair of databases containing over 11000 names for boys and girls respectively (androgynous names are in both databases). Occasionally this fails to produce the goods, leading to double-barrelled names or invention of names from whole cloth.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 3:15 PM
That's a really interesting naming process, Ieta_Cassiopeia.

Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425

Sims that I make in CAS usually end up with random names that pop into my head. Though born-in-game sims, especially in my megahood get named after what I think the parents would want to name their children. For example Roxie and Jonah Powers have two children; Axel and Storm and are expecting a third child, who will be named either Archer or Girr because in my opinion they're quite 'cool' sounding names, other sims, for example Gabriel and Tiffany Green go for more 'pretty' names (totally Tiffany's choice here), they currently have a daughter named Ava, and their next child will be either Sophie or Elliot.

I also name them after puns, naming alliteration (alliteration of their last name or just other siblings) and after their distant relatives (provided it's not the exact same name. Such as Alexander Goth can't name his son Mortimer (but could name him 'Mort' or 'Morty'), but Cassandra can as her last name is Riley so he'd be Mortimer Riley).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Forum Resident
#57 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 5:39 PM
Before I played rotations, I could get pretty far (like 5 generations with some families). However, now that I'm doing rotations, my current generation is 3 in Strangetown. So, all the original pre-mades that I considered the first generation (PT#9 & Jenny, Buzz Grunt, Nathan & Mary Gavigan, and Trish & Trent Traveller) now have grandchildren but no great-grandchildren. Their oldest grandchildren are teenagers so pretty soon, I will be at generation 4. Names are done as so, they are either:

1. Themes (like Buzz had children with names that were verbs). When he had more children with his second wife, he continued the theme. His last son was named Wade. Tank carried on the tradition with Chase, Grant, Dawn, Skip, and Tripp.
2. The first letter of the child's name is the same as the father's. So Trent & Trish had Tina, Tabitha, Taylor, Tyler, and Thomas. Tina married Isaiah, so their children's names start with I (Immanuel and Illyanna).
3. Alien hybrids don't follow these rules, they have names that are variations of planets, galaxies, other objects in space, or ancient gods. The curious brothers have Mercury, Saturn, Neptune, Comet, and Galaxy. Johnny Smith has Jupiter, Venus, and Vespa. Gallagher and Stella Terrano Newson have Apollo, Ares, Lunaria, and Pandora. And so on and so forth for all alien hybrids. There are quite a few.
4. If the premade family already had children, I kept the names of the other children starting with the same letter. So Nathan and Mary already had Isaiah, so I stuck with I as the first letter. They had Isabella, Ivory, and Iris and adopted Isaac and Ian.

What I usually do is look up with 'baby names that start with...' on the internet when new babies are born.
Test Subject
#58 Old 22nd Dec 2015 at 10:36 AM
I'm currently playing the 4th Generation in my Everdeen Legacy. I am a fan of big families so there are currently 182 sims. If i'm allowed to post on here, the family tree below:

http://www.familyecho.com/?p=KZ63Q&...030498742323606

I've had around 26 living in a household at any given time. I have a sim who I did a a polygamous challenge with 4 wives and 21 children, boy it was hard!
Page 3 of 3