Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 12:48 AM
@ihatemandatoryregistrations Wow. You put a ton of effort into it. Kind of ashamed of my crappy spreadsheets now lol.

I only started spreadsheets in my last hood, which died young. So this model is still in the early stages, as you can see sexuality doesn't have a marker yet, just kind of off to the side cause i'm too lazy to go through everyone's stats and will just wait until it becomes important to fill it in for each individual lol. Mine definitely is more geared towards noting genetics though.

(also, i just realized I lost my last save and so lost my deceased and ROS tab. UGGHH)

Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vampiresam9097
Okay Apple Valley is like the End-All-Be-All of Integrated Hoods and you showed me your sheet on my humble post, I am honored. Also I looooove your sheet and you even included laws on it. It's beautiful.

Awww :lovestruc :lovestruc thank you so much. Your post and sheet are interesting. I really need to update my online sheet, I had to split my spreadsheet into two documents-lol. I must admit that I am an excel addict-I LOVE excel and use it every chance I get-lol!

On my main sheet I have a "to-do" tab that tracks my play schedule and posting schedule for my blog: http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.com/

Due to RL, I only get play sims in binges so in order to have my blog update regularly, I post in advance and this page helps me keep track of everything, plus notes like ROS and some of my building/recoloring needs.

My main tab tracks my playable sims (I have the same tab for playable NPCs as well)
2020=current simyear I am playing in game
P/CP=this is for excel to help me with my ROS

Age Group=adult/infant/etc
Age (Simyears)=this gets highlighted for special ages to remind me to age the sim up,or give them a makeover
Old Age Death=I am experimenting with a semi-random way of predicting my elder's deaths so it's not always the same long lenght that maxis gives
Birth Year=simyear born
Birth Season=spring/summer/etc
Male/Female
Marital Status=married/single
Marriage Year
Marriage Season
Number of Years=number of years married-this is gets highlighted for special anniversaries like 25th, 50th

Primary Aspiration
Secondary Aspiration
Favorite Color=randomly assigned/color they aged into as a toddler
Trait #1
Trait #2
Trait #3
Motivation
Birth Control=score for if the sim uses ACR birth control, it's a formula based on personality and other traits
Unplanned/wanted Pregnancy=helps calculate birth control score
Parenting Style=formula based on personality that says what type of parenting style the sim has

Ideal Family Size=for ACR based on primary aspiration
Ideal Family Size (2ASP)=based on secondary aspiration
Ideal Family Size (AVG)=avg of two

Design Preference #1=for interior design, aka modern/traditional/etc
Design Preference #2

Zodiac
Neat
Outgoing
Active
Playful
Nice

One True Hobby
LTW
Turn On
Turn Off

Career
Career Level
Career Title
Extracurricular=my teens have extracurricular activities I keep up with, ie drama/debate/etc

Finances
Vacation Home
Bank Account

Loans
Loan Due Date

Money Interest
Money Style=formula based on personality and money interest to show how sim relates to money

Grade
Secondary GPA
Honors Program=aka private school
Highest Degree
Major
GPA
SKILLS
Cooking
Mechanical
Charisma
Body
Logic
Creativity
Cleaning
Core Skill Exam=total skils
Core Interest Exam=total interests
Core Hobby Exam=total hobby points
SPAT, v2=my university entrance exam score-formula based on skills, grades, honors program, hobby points and more
Deans Merit Scholarship-formula that indicates if the sims gains this full tuition scholarship I created
Deans Merit Fellowship=" "
Provost's Merit Scholarship= " "

Genetics
Eye
Hair
Skin Tone
Racial Background
Notes

next tab is my rotation schedule, since I rotate all my playable families over two simyears
ROS tab tracks my ROS file and automatically selects the sim and the ROS for the next round thanks to some fancy dancy excel magic
Traits tab-list that randomly selects traits for my sims
Calculators-calculators to help with aspiration selection, loan approval amount, spousal support, child support, government assistance grants
Weddings tab-this is new, it helps me with wedding planning for my sims since I create invitations for them and need to keep track of the venue, guest list (so I know which sims to teleport), and wedding date

My hood: Apple Valley
http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.com/

http://starrsim.tumblr.com/

Sim Player since 2003
Forum Resident
#28 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eduseo
I don't really spreadsheet things, but I dot certain things down on notepad and occasionally use sim tracker to count up stuff.

Thank you for the reminder :-) I need to re download this as it really can be helpful .

Ditto here. I use notepad to type notes and to write up stories, Sim diaries and news articles. I enjoy the idea of my Sim communities having a newspaper.
Instructor
#29 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 11:04 AM
In this topic I miss an "impressive" button at the end of the posts.

TY!! I like that you included cause of death too. Do you have a variety of them in your game for that?

Yes, old age, fire, murder (I downloaded some weapons at simwardrobe.com), and sometimes, if I don't like a Sim, I let them die by a satellite. But since I installed RealSickness mostly they die of food poisoning, a common cold ( ) or fever.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 10:17 PM
This is so intense!

I use my sim's bio to write down anything important that I can't otherwise remember in-game (like prison sentences, birthdays of children under 4 - child and older have bio access so...) Things like sexuality and desired number of kids are all set by ACR/Inteen, and the rest is just what the sim happens to want vs whether they'd be likely to achieve it. I'd spend hours making spreadsheets like this and never use them (because I'd have to come out of the game... )
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 11:55 PM
I've never used a spreadsheet to keep track of any sims, usually if I have to keep track of anything I'll just jot it down on the notepad on my phone
I was thinking of doing one for my megahood since I've never pplayed a hood with that many sims but I dont usually play the same neighborhood very long to bother taking the time to make spreadsheets or such

I do make spreadsheets to keep track of CC (like defaults and things) but thats about it
Forum Resident
#33 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Real life is messy. My Sims' lives are messy. I don't keep track of Sim data in Spreadsheets. I used to do it for a challenge, but it became too much of a chore for me.

My motto for playing Sims is "If it aint fun don't do it". I mean, for heaven sakes, this is a game and games should be play time not chore time!

For some of us keeping records of one type or another is playing and our brains think doing this is ever so much fun. What works best is to find what works best for how we each play.

Again, I really, really appreciate being reminded to download SimTracker !! Missed having that to use along with my gameplay notes and simple record keeping.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 6:26 AM
As I mentioned before, I use my spreadsheets to compensate for my lack of short-term memory, but after a long play session its satisfying to fill in any new developments (especially adding new sims to Playable Characters).

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
As I mentioned before, I use my spreadsheets to compensate for my lack of short-term memory, but after a long play session its satisfying to fill in any new developments (especially adding new sims to Playable Characters).

I feel that. I get excited to fill in the info at this point for some reason. And my sheet has grown based on the info everyone else has in their's lol
Forum Resident
#36 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 8:44 AM
I feel that. I get excited to fill in the info at this point for some reason. And my sheet has grown based on the info everyone else has in their's lol

Ditto here! The shared information and ideas here are very helpful and inspiring! For some reason I too look forward to updating things after playing a household (or a single Sim). And I find what others have said at one time or another to be true for me as well -- keeping a more detailed record gives me a more in depth look at each Sim helping me to "get to know" them better. I notice little things that really matter..little things that can be overlooked.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 2:38 PM
My playables spreadsheet is pretty basic: name, neighborhood, life stage, aspiration, LTW, uni, major, career, descendants, badges, notes. It especially helps in avoiding gluts of aspirations, majors, or careers. Not every Ottomas needs to be a Family Sim with a career in Education! I also have spreadsheets for townies and dormies, which help in identifying potential playables as mates, roomies, or business owners/employees.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 7:32 PM Last edited by teafortwo : 13th Aug 2016 at 7:33 PM. Reason: the usual
Quote: Originally posted by tancred
My playables spreadsheet is pretty basic: name, neighborhood, life stage, aspiration, LTW, uni, major, career, descendants, badges, notes. It especially helps in avoiding gluts of aspirations, majors, or careers. Not every Ottomas needs to be a Family Sim with a career in Education! I also have spreadsheets for townies and dormies, which help in identifying potential playables as mates, roomies, or business owners/employees.

Very sensible.

I'd not considered registering "townies" (which are important in my game!)

Just realized that it will help me to keep a record of Pets ( Animal Control ).

I keep a detailed, yet simple, record of playable Sims -- a Town Registry (or name and address book) where all living Adult Sims are registered supposedly for tax purposes. This includes each individual adult, name of spouse, children, job. business, address.

Another simple one tracks child and teen students. (They must meet certain requirements to receive a diploma and may need to attend community college to complete high school)

And I like to 'register' "Hatch, Match or Dispatch" (LOL) Births, Marriages (Engagements, Divorce) and Deaths.

Helps me to be 'more invested" in a neighborhood.
Scholar
#39 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 12:37 AM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 19th Aug 2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Accounting for other things people record in spreadsheets
It's past midnight and I can't summon the energy to remember how to paste the spreadsheet screenshots I've taken, so I'll go through my spreadsheets in words:

Sim Names

I have a spreadsheet with 10679 boys' names and another with 12811 girls' names. They all have an indicator to show whether that name is or has already been used in the neighbourhood. Many of them have a number to show relative frequency of the names compared to others from the same source. Some of the names indicate their sources (I have names from the English, Scottish, Italian, Indian and Japanese name lists, plus a number from other sources and a few I've made up) and meanings.

Rulesets

I have a spreadsheet tracking what rules are in place in each part of the SimHampton area. This is pretty much essential for me because I'm effectively running 6 challenges simultaneously. (Sim International, plus 5 of my 6 "nations" have a nationwide challenge they must follow while competing with each other). As most of these are slightly adapted, I don't get annoyed with myself if I make an error, but it's nice to have it there so I don't inadvertently detail any of the challenges.

Happiness

I have a list of criteria I use to guage whether Sims are happy, content or unhappy with their life. Any Sim can be happy by being in platinum or content by being in gold, but Sims can also become happy or content by meeting aspiration-related goals. Sims that aren't happy or content with their lives are unhappy, and if a large enough proportion are unhappy, they'll blame the government - with results ranging from tax protexts to revolution.

Census

The census is recorded on a spreadsheet, including items on such wide-ranging matters as family structure, pregnancies, pets, hair colour, species, hair colour, magic use, religion, crime, education, household wealth, aspirations, zodiac, aspiration, income, occupations, friendships, property owned, class, amount of tax owed and happiness.

Tech Tree

Mostly of relevance to the Test of Time nation (Drioru Forest), this covers what technologies lead to what, the abilities that are opened with new inventions, era movement and the amount of research needed to get new ideas invented.

Nation Points

A long list of the actions a government can take, their requirements and effects. It also has the number of nation points each nation has, and has earned this month (the latter is calculated by a combination of population, Sim count in upper/middle classes, the number of happy Sims, number of community lots, relationships with other civilisations, whether the nation is engaged in any wars and whether there are protests or revolts going on at the moment.

Population

All nations, regardless of whether they partake of the BACC challenge, have their population calculated using the BACC method.

As for elements other people use spreadsheets for: I have a word processing file with the town narrative, which includes births, marriages, deaths, adoptions, plot advances and other key information.

I only note down Sim identifying factors when "backing up" Sims in preparation for a reinstall or neighbourhood restart. I only note down things I can set in CAS without cheats, and don't define anything I can't remember or easily check. Sims change from time to time.

The studying Sims do (especially in university), progress magical Sims do in their arcane arts, criminal records, laws, ettiquette rules and list of exiled Sims is kept in a word processing file.

I don't record lot descriptions.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:23 PM
It's so interesting seeing such a broad range of feeling on spreadsheets! That's what I love about this game, it fits so many personalities and types of people. For some using a spreadsheet is unimaginable, for others it totally enhances things!

I only very recently set up a spreadsheet, a pretty simple one. It was born from my desire to move generational play along in my neighborhood, which is also getting pretty large - it stretches across my main custom hood Ferndale and the subhood (shopping district) Bridgemont. I needed a way to keep track of who was married to whom, but even more so who was dating whom from other households, which two teens seemed to hit it off and might be a good match to get hitched at adulthood - and therefore when to make sure to age up both teens at a similar rate. So my spreadsheet is quite simple - it has names, whether they're in Bridgemont or Ferndale, age group, gender, marital status (common law, married or single) and a notes column beside where I note who they're married to/living common law with, or if they're single, who they're dating if applicable. Also will make notes there if I see two Sims hit it off or have great chemistry, to remind myself of the potential - ie: Bobby Smith - Good for Jane Jones?

It's really helped me keep track of their relationships and move them forwards, and also remind myself to move the neighborhood forward in its timeline by being able to focus in on Sims outside of the "breeding" ages, like my elders and empty nesters, and give them proportional play time.
Test Subject
#41 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 7:51 AM
I started off with a simple age tracker, from back when I played a family until I got board with them and didn't let my sims age (once Nephews and Nieces were getting too close in age to their frozen-aged aunts and uncles) I started keeping track and then started playing each house a week at a time. so I have a second tab which I keep track of the days of the week and which day big events happened .

I have a separate sheet that combines all college aged children, So I know which day I need them to start school in relation to other College aged Sims. I've recently added on the same sheet all college students and their zodiac sign and Turn on and offs so I can quickly look. I even put unattached graduated sims on the list. I wish I had done it earlier as two sims that were in the same building in school were 3 bolts of chemistry as soon as one started wearing hats. But I hadn't even noticed that they should have flirted with each other until after one had graduated!

I have a Sims Fact sheet which includes: Sim Name, Parents, Who taught what Toddler Skills, Zodiac, Aspiration, 2nd Aspiration, Turn ons and offs, Major, GPA at graduation, lifetime wants. There is a section at the bottom that shows Aspiration density, I need to add in zodiac as well as it has come to my attention that I have a lot of Scorpios and Gemini and not enough Pisces for them.

I have NPC and Townie notes. I pretty much leave the turn ons and offs that come up when a sim ages to teen. and ended up with an influx of sims that liked gingers and blonds. Well I have one family with gingers, as the pleasant twins didn't have any ginger kids. and the Broke's are the only blonds that I play and only Dustin's kids are blond. so this sheet is currently the stats from every blond or ginger that walks by, a sim house

I have zodiac attraction in what I consider to be easier to read so I don't have to go back to Cyjon's everytime for the info

I have a twin tracker (I go in and make Identical twins in simpe)

I have Zodiac assigner sheets. Even with anti-first child syndrome mods I was still getting zodiac and stat clones. So I have one where each sign represent two hours and the signs go in order so Aries starts at midnight on Monday and then for the next day they shift down one. That one I don't use often. I have another one that cycles through the 3 signs in a season so for example if your sim is born on a Summer Sunday at 14:00 according to my chart they are a Leo. I pretty much do this for Every Sim now. and I have a separate one for babies born while their parents are at university which is by term days instead of days of the week.

I have a Word document that has all the born in game sims names and name meanings, as I take the origin of one sim parents family or given name and the meaning of the other sims's family or given name and choose a name from there

I have a list of Romance Sims or Sims with the multiple lover LTW list of partners

and I have a document of quick story notes as I go along
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 8:14 AM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 6th Sep 2016 at 10:12 AM.
I just use LibreOffice to keep a bunch of notes on my Sims, also I upload to Tumblr with tags so I can go search on my Tumblr and see what happened, especially if I haven't played in awhile. I should start using the biographies and household descriptions though..I have a bad memory

Edit: Actually I haven't been liking my notes, even though it's easy for me to find what I want it looks disorganized to me, even though it really isn't and might be a pain later on as I add sims, change stuff around...I think i'm going to do spreadsheets.

I now have written down what I want to keep track of with them...now to make them!

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#43 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 12:52 PM
If you want dropdowns then what you really want is a database, rather than a spreadsheet. You can make quasi-databases in Excel/Calc but it's not as efficient as using a proper database.

I have different ones depending on the hood. And they all take ages to load because I don't have any database programs and most of these were started in excel, moved to calc So i will elaborate on the details another time.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 3:02 PM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 6th Sep 2016 at 4:34 PM.
I'm using a mixture of my notes and SimPE to get down as much as I can in my spreadsheets, and i'm liking it so far (When I go in game I can fill in the rest as I play the households)! I think the trick for me is focusing on what I love, like their personalities and genetics. I think it's so interesting to see what different people love about the Sims and how everyone plays differently

How i've set up my SpreadSheets

Edit: I added age to the end, realized I could use that information after all when i'm scouting out potential partners for Sims...that would be nice to know lol
Edit 2: I realized I can edit the size of the colums, so I can see everything better! Can you tell i've never used spreadsheets before?

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#45 Old 7th Sep 2016 at 11:38 PM Last edited by ihatemandatoryregister : 7th Sep 2016 at 11:53 PM.
I added a new column to my character spreadsheet, Origin. I have four options for it: Premade, CAS, Born in Game, and Townie.

I also added Ghost Colours to my deceased sim sheet.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 5:56 PM
I added a new column to my spreadsheet, well two as I took ihatemandatoryregister's idea and added Origin as well.

I also added hair type. Options being: Curly, Wavy, Straight and Kinky. Now with Freckles, glasses and hair type i'll be able to roll a dice or something to choose when those traits get passed down to offspring!

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#47 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 11:53 PM
Nice.

I split the Personality column into Star Sign and Personality to make it easier to input.

I also created a new sheet, Birth Record, listing all of the in-game births in my hood:

(If you thought Ottomas twins were bad...Ottomas quadruplets!)

Field Researcher
#48 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 6:09 AM
So, I will be the first to admit I *may* be a teeny bit ocd about keeping records of my neighbourhood, I also play with a large number of "rules" that aren't modded into my game and therefore also need tracking. I used to have a multi sheet workbook/spreadsheet, but it was becoming cumbersome and difficult to input and track data across the seven or so sheets.

So I have a custom database instead. Screenshots under the spoiler tag because holy banana's, there's a lot of them.

Mad Poster
#49 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 6:25 AM
Just curious: How do you play a blind or deaf sim?
Otherwise: Holy crap, that's awesome. And now I feel inadequate.

Field Researcher
#50 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 6:52 AM
At the moment it's mostly cosmetic for blind/deaf sims, more for story driven play than anything that really affects game play in any significant way, other than they are more likely to have a service animal (Trained by another sim in my hood, that's how he makes a living) they would also be ineligible for some careers (like Military) and I have make up/overlays for blind eyes. Witch/Glasses/Blind/Deaf are considered genetic traits (Yes, there's another tab I didn't screenshot that tracks a sims genetics, and another sheet and buttons for working out what genetics newly born sim gets)
Page 2 of 5