Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 6:07 PM Last edited by gabilei123 : 13th Nov 2016 at 7:34 PM.
Default rejected house
Last week I built a house wich was rejected because of 3 problems:

Realism: The lot somewhat resembles the type of building it is supposed to be, but could use some more work. Take a look at some real lots of the same type, and try to reproduce them as closely as possible with the build tools available. Please see this helpful tutorial and try posting in Creator Feedback for some input from other creators.

Architecture: You have a nice start on the architecture, but it needs a bit more work. Please see this helpful tutorial.

Roofing: The roof could use a bit more work. Make sure all roof pieces join each other nicely and do not leave gaps, the angle of the roof is not too high or low, and is suitable to the lot's style.

The only thing I understand is that point with the roof, and I have an idea to fix it.
The rest is so general that I do not understand at all what is meant.

I'm very grateful for help.

Gabi

EDIT:

I have forgotten the following:

Moderator notes for this category:
While we can see that you are aiming for a different look with this lot's architecture, and some parts of the house do work, the roof in particular seems to throw the look of the house off overall. The blue and brown walls, while complementing nicely with the trim on the foundation, and complementing each other as well, would do better if applied in a more logical pattern. A few more changes to the structure itself would give it a more unique look as well.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 6:45 PM
Firstly, I think you've made a very good start, and especially like how you've gone to the effort of using CFE to make the garage with a foundation.
The roof is very simple to fix if you slightly reduce the angle of the lower half of it round the back by a degree or two.
While the mixing of the blue and yellow wall coverings was a good idea in theory for a modern home, I'm not sure that it entirely works in this case where the house has quite a traditional shape, almost resembling that of a Saltbox colonial home.
So I think the main issue with this lot is the facade. You might want to make it either more modern or make it into something that further resembles the Neo-Colonial houses that it bares a strong likeness to at the moment with regards to its general shape.
My suggestion for doing the latter would be to ditch the current uneven dormers and add three uniform dormers equal distances apart, make the wall covering more uniform and remove the on of the doors from both of the front pairings where you've tried to create double doors to even up the facade a bit, like so:

But that's just my opinion, it's your creation so you've got to inject your own style into it somehow and make it something you're proud of.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 7:02 PM Last edited by gabilei123 : 14th Nov 2016 at 5:29 AM.
@Fergus' Mind

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately it doesn't help to be proud of my work. But I am not. I have to change something. But I liked the unequal "dormers" and the coloring. Until now I don't know, what I will do. It would be hard for me to alter these details, because I thought this would be the unique thing of this house. I'm thinking about it. I think I'll have to ask for more time.

Thanks again Gabi

Furtermore I found following in the message (I had not seen this before):

Moderator notes for this category:
While we can see that you are aiming for a different look with this lot's architecture, and some parts of the house do work, the roof in particular seems to throw the look of the house off overall. The blue and brown walls, while complementing nicely with the trim on the foundation, and complementing each other as well, would do better if applied in a more logical pattern. A few more changes to the structure itself would give it a more unique look as well.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 7:13 PM
I 2nd what Fergus' Mind said, normally when you have double doors you have equal parts on the side and a single door would look better.

By all means keep a copy of the way you like it but for uploading here to MTS it needs a little more work.

The inside looks great and you may want to put some flowers or bushes out front.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 7:40 PM
I have tried to adjust the roofing. Unfortunately the border is to see in every case, less or more. I can take a roof over two floors, then it looks good, but that is not nice to play. You have to fold down the roof.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 10:38 PM
I'd just like to clarify gabilei, your house was not rejected. It was sent back with changes required as we feel it needs a bit more work to meet the creator guidelines.

I would like to expand and offer an alternative to Fergus' suggestion. Keep the main roofs. Get rid of the tiny roof dormers in front. Then add two additional dormers in each of the two bedrooms in back. Space all three evenly apart to create symmetry.

As for the color blocking, it really is illogical and not symmetrical. At least in the US, nor in houses I've seen in other countries. Typically the outside color scheme is not done to match individual rooms inside, as it separates the outside and does not create a positive energy.

I would suggest that for the walls under the roof gables, you use one color/texture. Use that same color for the front of the garage only. Then use another color/texture for the rest of the house. Use another for the foundation.

Now as to textures. The brick you have used for the foundation is logical, but because you have used cheats for the garage, it doesn't give a smooth look. IMO the texture you have used on the exterior does not match with the style of house. That stucco is more of an interior or modern style texture. If you still want that, then refer to my point above.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 5:44 AM
@HugeLunatic

Thanks for your suggestions. Maybe it is because my English is not so good, but I can not understand your last sentence.
Furthermore, what textures do you think I could use for the outside? Because of the cheat it should be completely smooth, shouldn't it?
And should I not use the bricks because of the cheat?
(Unfortunately I have now to change that things, because of which I uploaded this house.)

Gabi
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 5:56 AM
You need paint or plaster on the garage since that was made with CFE.

If you want the house to be blue and brown, try blue on the main body of the house and the brown on the dormers and garage front.

I would add some more plants and use more paving around the pool, perhaps running a path to it from the house with room for a BBQ area.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You need paint or plaster on the garage since that was made with CFE.

If you want the house to be blue and brown, try blue on the main body of the house and the brown on the dormers and garage front.

I would add some more plants and use more paving around the pool, perhaps running a path to it from the house with room for a BBQ area.

Plaster? I meant the walls. Or do you mean bricks? But this would look really distorted. Or are you talking about the ground? There I see no connection to CFE.
Sorry for my confusion.

Your other suggestions I could implement, but do not know if this would be sufficient.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:18 AM
The garage needs paint or plaster. Plaster is something that goes on walls. You have a brown type of plaster on the garage now. Something that keeps it's texture. Bricks become stretched and distorted.

I think if you make the other changes suggested it would be enough.

I see your BBQ area now. A path from that deck going to the pool and a bit more around the pool. Your post is showing extra wide and I am having to grab the bar and drag it across to see it all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:35 AM
Sorry, it is because of my English. I thougt plaster are paving stones.
It is a so called false friend. In German Pflaster means paving stones.
But it this not plaster, what I used, the brown an blue walls?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:40 AM
I think the brown and the blue are plaster. Only I would make the whole house blue with just the gables and perhaps the garage brown.

I'll take a look in build mode.

My game says it is poured stucco. I'm not American though, I'm Australian and we call it plaster.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:55 AM
@ Joandsrah77

I think you're right with this plaster. But HugeLunatic meant:
"Now as to textures. The brick you have used for the foundation is logical, but because you have used cheats for the garage, it doesn't give a smooth look. IMO the texture you have used on the exterior does not match with the style of house. That stucco is more of an interior or modern style texture. If you still want that, then refer to my point above".

The last sentence I don't understand. Now I have to leave.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 7:39 AM
I think she is saying the plaster looks modern or Spanish but the style of your house isn't. It may also depend what country people come from. We have houses here with plaster on the outside but most are brick or cladding/wood plank.

The foundation brick is nice, but she is saying you can't use it on the garage due to the CFE.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 2:14 PM
One thing you might try is to find two similar sets of wall treatment, the lower part of which matches the upper part of the other, and do the foundation in one and the garage and ground floor in the other.

The trouble with the gables, IMHO, is that they serve no purpose. They do nothing to make the attic into useable space (as a dormer does) and they aren't demanded by the shape of the house. They're just stuck on there, not pretty enough to be decoration and no use at all.

For the yard, you need something to connect the pool to the house visually and practically. If people are walking through grass to get to the pool, then the grass all around it will be worn. Most people would have pavement in the high-traffic areas accessing the pools. If you don't want to pave, use terrain paint to simulate this. I have never seen anyone use large hexagonal tiles to pave around a pool! I've never seen tiles like that used outside at all. Concrete or paving stones are best for pool areas, as they're textured enough for wet feet not to slip, but not rough enough to hurt bare feet.

Try putting a little terrain paint under the plants, too, to show the bare dirt right around the roots - very few shrubs and trees are surrounded by unbroken lawn, as they tend to shade it out. You'll find it makes an astonishing amount of difference.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 9:17 PM
There are still ways to make the garage have a foundation using CFE, but it's a bit more complicated as it has no tutorial and you will need bit of understanding on ho the cheat works. But It's sure to completely change the look of the houes as it requires aditional square to left (looking at the house from the front) and you would need to redo the garrage, and parts of the lot completely. So instead, I would try to workaround and make the garage same color as a house, even though I liked how it stood out. different colored front looks great, but what bugs me is the side.

I like that the porch is stone, but I wonder if first story balcony should have it as well. Maybe some other material like wood or a darker brick? Or just leave it the same, it's optional. Pool may also need different outline, as it missmatches the house, but not too much, so you can keep it for authenticity or you can change it, the choice is yours. Overall, the layout is pretty good, the interior is great and is greatly similar to maxis interiors, which I like as it is simple, efficient and adds a bit to the nostalgia. The house itself looks like the early Maxis-made houses, it just has few mismatching details that make it look authentic, but not entirely pleasing to the eye. The paint does that the most as it makes the house look unfinished. The dormers are also mismatched, but I'd keep the biggest front dormer. I like the entrance to the lot as well.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 10:28 PM
I happen to really like the paint outside (except for the bricks on the foundation, try to make them blue or brown as well?)
Perhaps try to go a bit more up and down instead of horizontal with it?
The inside of the house looks very good to me as well.
I agree to changing the balcony tiles to the same as the tiles on the porch.
I don't like the dormers either (sorry ) and the roof looks very big. Trust me, roofing is a nightmare of mine and it is always a struggle to make it look good enough. So I am not even going to try to tell you what to do - but I will tell you to keep on trying until it is right
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 5:50 PM
Sorry, at the moment I'm confused and feel an aversion against that house, so I'm not able to do a good work on it.
Therefore I don't want to upload it in the next time.
Maybe later I would like trying to change it again, maybe not. Right now I have to free myself from it.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 8:20 PM
Okay, take some time to breathe. But do please look at it again when you've got a bit of distance. At least the amount of time it took to make the thing in the first place.

Once you get over the first dismay, revising is every bit as fun as creating, because you can see things come together and improve in front of your eyes. Never be discouraged if you don't get something right immediately. You'll be discouraged constantly if you do. Revision is just a step in creation, that's all.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
There are still ways to make the garage have a foundation using CFE, but it's a bit more complicated as it has no tutorial and you will need bit of understanding on ho the cheat works.

I am very interested in learning how to do this. Could someone explain this to me? Or is somewhere a sims2-house with such a garage?

Regards Gabi
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 7:29 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Here you go:
http://www.wikihow.com/Attach-a-Gar...ims-2-Nightlife

Thanks for your answer. But that's exactly how I did it. This garage has like mine no foundation.
But mixa97sr wrote:

There are still ways to make the garage have a foundation using CFE, but it's a bit more complicated as it has no tutorial and you will need bit of understanding on ho the cheat works.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 7:39 AM
Op, there is nothing wrong with your garage, just fix the roof and outside colour and post back some pictures.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#24 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 12:22 PM
@Gabilei123

Ich Fasse dir mal alles kurz zusammen, falls du noch etwas nicht genau verstanden haben solltest.
Was alle hier quasi Sagen, ist das mit der Struktur und Form des Hauses alles in Ordnung ist, aber die Farbverteilung der Putzwand (Putz=Plaster/stucco) Unlogisch bzw. Unrealistisch aussieht und nicht wirklich sinn Ergibt. Die Vorschlaege sind das 'Haupthaus' mit dem blauen Putz zu Schmuecken und die Vergabelungen am Dach, sowie das Fundement und die Garage mit braunem Putz. Das hervorstehende Fundament der Terassen kannst du aber eine Steintextur verpassen
Zudem schlagen sie vor, die vordere Vergabelungen symmetrisch
und gleich gross zu machen. Die Steintextur am Fundament wuerde sich an der Stelle wo Fundament und CFE-wand sich treffen verrzerren, weil die Wand selbst verzerrt ist.

Here's a summary of the thread so far, in German, if there's anything you didn't understand yet.
The structure and form of the home is okay, but the color distribution doesn't really make any sense. The suggestion is to paint the 'main structure' blue, and the gables, foundation and garage brown. You can put a stone texture on the foundation walls of the terrace and porch.
Further suggestions about are to make the front gables symmetrical and the same size.
[Explaination why a stone texture on a CFE wall would distort]

Hope I could help a little this way.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#25 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 11:58 PM Last edited by mixa97sr : 22nd Nov 2016 at 12:26 AM.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I just said that the garrage will distort the texture of the wall covering, so there is no way to match it with the foundation. I said you could use another way, but it would involve widening whole house for one block, which I don't reccomend, as it would also involve changing whole layout.

However, there really is another way, but there is no tutorial on it as it's complex, and I found it only by playing around with CFE. Easier, and more logic way would be what everyone suggested, and that is finding a perfect paint job so that the garage matches the house.

EDIT: Following that tutorial, you could actually do two things.

You could set apart the foundation and garage doors with something vertical, as then texture will not distort:

Or you could set only the doors of the garage apart:

Or you could go with third option and set everything the same color.

There's also experimenting with all kinds of wall paint in all of those situations, mixed and matched.
Page 1 of 2