Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Link Ninja
#51 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 10:27 PM
My sister asked this question and my husband said it could never die because of emulators. It's the reason we can still play old games on computers never meant for the games to be played on. Maybe someday there will be an emulator for sims 2 so we could play it no matter what version of a computer we were on.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 11:11 PM
Charmful has the good news
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@ billielith is that you ? I have not seen you for a while, so "nice" to see you here on the forum, I have had you on my favorite creator list here on MTS for some years now.
Looking forward to more of your creation to share here.

Thanks, yes, this is me, lol. I made a few things since the last time we talked. How have you been?
I am like Sims 2. It seems like I am dead, but not quite.

Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
My sister asked this question and my husband said it could never die because of emulators. It's the reason we can still play old games on computers never meant for the games to be played on. Maybe someday there will be an emulator for sims 2 so we could play it no matter what version of a computer we were on.

I always thought emulators were rather for console games. Good if they can emulate Sims 2 as well!
AND allow us to use our d/l content in the emulated version of course! You imagine your game without your tons of MTS stuff in it? I don't, lol. :P

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#54 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 1:33 AM
Goodness no, we need all the junk, all the goodies.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#55 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 1:44 AM
Why is an emulator needed? I thought instead of that running an old OS on VirtualBox would work just fine if the main OS can’t run TS2. I haven’t tried it though, but it seems like it would work.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Scholar
#56 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 3:33 AM
Sims 2 has been "on its way out" for years, yet here we all are...

It won't die for lack of people choosing to play; it will only die when Windows becomes totally incompatible and it can't be played, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if somebody came up with a way to make it compatible. There's just so much one can do with this game that even the original 'hoods are always new.
Theorist
#57 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 5:13 PM
It will only be the "end" when the individual playing the game decides it's time for them to move on from it.

People get far too caught up in gauging a game's success on how many items are created it for (TS2 has seen some killer creations shared recently by the way), how long ago it was first released, or how busy forums are. There are billions of people in the world, and just because they don't all seem to be talking about whether a game is still cool/popular or not, does not mean a large number of them are not still playing it.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#58 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 10:18 PM
I occasionally play Rogue and expect to continue to go back to it every so often. The game is in its mid-thirties and sparked an entire genre.

Sims 2 is still a sprightly teen, jumping on sofas, experimenting with first dates and thinking about when or if it will go to university. It would have sparked an entire genre had the genre in question not been so hard to do (and had there not been this little thing called The Sims four years earlier). It's got loads of time left
Inventor
#59 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
I have two graphic cards as well, but luckily I can run TS2 on my NVidia card – however, in full screen only, otherwise I get a DirectX error. Castaway Stories has windowed mode possible to turn on in game options, and even if it’s turned off I can’t get it to run on the proper card. But well I definitely prefer Castaway doing that than TS2.

I always played in full screen, so I wasn't aware of possibly getting a DirectX error in windowed mode.

Somehow I got the game working again.
Possibly because I later restarted the pc and stubbornly double clicked on Bon Voyage again.
To my surprise it loaded. With renewed hope, I installed Seasons and Freetime again.
No troubles, the game started.
Put everything back in order to have my Fayport hood running. (Forgot the downloaded camera mods, but that's okay, can do that later)
I again had to change the config file in Freetime (my latest) to be able to get the right resolution. As default I only had one, the 800x600, while mine is 1920x1080.
There still are other issues. For example, I now have that black square under sims. Never had that before. Can't change it in-game, doesn't make any difference. I'll have to do that manually in the config file.
Same goes for the greyed-out smooth edges. Want to change that also.
Still not sure if the game is using my graphic card, but no way I'm going to install that document again from the mentioned by me topic in my previous message.
I will have to find another way for that.
But at least I can play again! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#60 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
I always played in full screen, so I wasn't aware of possibly getting a DirectX error in windowed mode.

Somehow I got the game working again.
Possibly because I later restarted the pc and stubbornly double clicked on Bon Voyage again.
To my surprise it loaded. With renewed hope, I installed Seasons and Freetime again.
No troubles, the game started.
Put everything back in order to have my Fayport hood running. (Forgot the downloaded camera mods, but that's okay, can do that later)
I again had to change the config file in Freetime (my latest) to be able to get the right resolution. As default I only had one, the 800x600, while mine is 1920x1080.
There still are other issues. For example, I now have that black square under sims. Never had that before. Can't change it in-game, doesn't make any difference. I'll have to do that manually in the config file.
Same goes for the greyed-out smooth edges. Want to change that also.
Still not sure if the game is using my graphic card, but no way I'm going to install that document again from the mentioned by me topic in my previous message.
I will have to find another way for that.
But at least I can play again! :lovestruc

Nopke made a fix for the black box issue here.
Scholar
#61 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 1:59 PM
@mirjampenning
I didn’t care much about greyed out anti-aliasing settings and I just adjusted it in my NVidia control panel. And yes definitely get Nopke’s shadow fix, and also his sky fix. There are other things that’ll improve the game looks (like Criquette’s hood deco with HQ textures, Lowedeus’ animated sky, Bob Newbie’s skylines or my water mod and certain land texture replacements), the discussion about improving the looks of the game is here

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Forum Resident
#62 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 3:45 PM
No matter how much I get into playing TS3 or TS4, I always find myself coming back to TS2. It's like a gravitational pull. I'll always be attached to it.
Test Subject
#63 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 5:39 PM
Short answer: No
Long answer: definitely not
Longer answer: Not in a million trillion years
Inventor
#64 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnorkackSearcher
Nopke made a fix for the black box issue here.

Thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
@mirjampenning
I didn’t care much about greyed out anti-aliasing settings and I just adjusted it in my NVidia control panel. And yes definitely get Nopke’s shadow fix, and also his sky fix. There are other things that’ll improve the game looks (like Criquette’s hood deco with HQ textures, Lowedeus’ animated sky, Bob Newbie’s skylines or my water mod and certain land texture replacements), the discussion about improving the looks of the game is here

I don't know exactly how much difference it makes to have the now greyed-out smooth borders accessible. It's just that my pc now can handle far more and then I want access to things I didn't have before and accepted because my pc couldn't handle that much. Maybe if I see what it does, I don't even care that much for it either.
I'm certainly aware of that great topic you post the link from. And I am planning to take advance of certain things.
Already have a couple of downloads from the recourcelist from there lined up to put in the game soon.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 12:59 PM
Funny that you should say that. I have been playing The Sims 2 for as long as I can remember. I have played the third and fourth sims games, but I didn't quite enjoy them as much as I did playing TS2. In fact, I bought a copy of TS4 and it's sitting somewhere on the shelves gathering dust while I'm playing TS2 for hours on end, almost every day. It's like fine wine - it gets better with age. The same could be said for The Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
No matter how much I get into playing TS3 or TS4, I always find myself coming back to TS2. It's like a gravitational pull. I'll always be attached to it.

Beautiful. :lovestruc
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 4:10 PM
If The Sims Online did not die, why do you expect The Sims 2 to just dissapear. If an old onlne game stil has a plenty of people that want to play it, heck, it has community large enough that it got it recreated after all of these years, why do people still think that Sims 2 is going to fade away...

And it's not like the servers for this game are out...

The only way this game's community is going to be less active is if anyone makes a next-gen life simulation game. And I don't see that soon...
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 5:52 PM
I think this is unlikely that TS2 would end because many people still play it for retro-gaming and nostalgia. I still have fond memories of The Sims 2 Double Deluxe and many TS2 games for the DS. TS2 is still available on the Mac App Store but upscaled to 4K.

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 9:06 PM
Well, for me, it's got nothing to do with nostalgia as I've only started playing TS2 fairly recently (when the UC was released). It's just a bloody good game.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raindrop_D
Well, for me, it's got nothing to do with nostalgia as I've only started playing TS2 fairly recently (when the UC was released). It's just a bloody good game.

The Sims 2 came out in 2004 and it's final EPs and SPs came out in late 2008, several months before The Sims 3 came out.

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#71 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 11:43 PM
Yeah some of us have been playing since 2004.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#72 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSim64DS
The Sims 2 came out in 2004 and it's final EPs and SPs came out in late 2008, several months before The Sims 3 came out.

I know, but I'm not sure how that changes what I was saying. It could have been released in 1982 that it wouldn't change a thing -- I started playing in, when was it, 2014 or so? I'd never tried it before, and only grabbed it because it was free. That's the thing: I wasn't even all that interested in it to start with. I was just vaguely curious. I got hooked after about two minutes -- and it had nothing to do with me feeling nostalgic about anything.

ETA: and I'm envious of all the oldbies who've been playing since 2004!
Mad Poster
#73 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 2:02 AM
Nothing to do with nostalgia or retro-gaming for me either. I don't consider it a retro game and I certainly don't play it for nostalgia; I play it because I like it.
Alchemist
#74 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by noiceonebruh
Never gonna give you up (SIMS 2), never gonna let you down (SIMS 2)
Never gonna run around and desert you (for Sims 3/4)
Never gonna make you cry (SIMS 2), never gonna say goodbye (SIMS 2)
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you (SIMS 2)

I nominate this post to Post of the Year 2017 in the MTS Awards

I can see myself playing this game even when I'm 40. My kids walking up to me wrinkling their noses about how old the clothes and furniture appears to be. On that note, I have one fear: CC could go away just like that, you can't always trust hosting sites. Perhaps we should gather all the best CC of The Sims 2 in one big map and try to keep it alive forever?
Inventor
#75 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:34 AM
Even though I swear to TS4 atm (TS3 has too many glitches on my Mac) I always go back to TS2 now and then. I got the collection pack installed. I'm only missing Apartment Life, which is not possible to get on Mac (cry). Even though TS3 and TS4 have more options, I've always loved the graphics on TS2. I've download so many mods on TS4 now to make the game look less sparkly and cartoonish. I barely use any Maxis content..
Page 3 of 13