Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Don't be. It's your neighborhood at stake, we just wouldn't want for anyone simmer's to just go, poof

It’s okay. I’ll be sure to take the tips into mind.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:15 PM
@STS3388 please tell me you haven't deleted any sims? If you have that entire hood is corrupted. Never ever delete sims, kill them, put them on a lot on the edge of your hood and toss in a prisoner token, but don't delete them.

As to getting bored, why are you making the families, is there a reason or just because you feel like it? If it's just because, how do you make them different? If you keep making families who are the same then that could be a huge reason to find them boring.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@STS3388 please tell me you haven't deleted any sims? If you have that entire hood is corrupted. Never ever delete sims, kill them, put them on a lot on the edge of your hood and toss in a prisoner token, but don't delete them.

As to getting bored, why are you making the families, is there a reason or just because you feel like it? If it's just because, how do you make them different? If you keep making families who are the same then that could be a huge reason to find them boring.

I did but don’t see any game corruption
Field Researcher
#29 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by STS3388

It doesn't usually show up immediately, but the damage has been done.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:26 PM
Doesn't matter what you can see, the corruption is misread data and data attaching itself to places it should not be. Sims 2 does not delete sims properly, some is deleted the rest is shredded. Some people will have a hood explode after a week, others keep playing, it's like Russian Roulette. if you want to keep playing this hood the best thing is make regular backups and run Hood Checker over it to mop up what it can.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#31 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by STS3388

Mine is corrupted and it's still playable 11 years later so...you never know when it will show up and render a hood unplayable. The best you can do is either start over or start downloading mods to help you keep it manageable. For more info on corruptable actions, read HERE

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Undead Molten Llama
#32 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:22 AM
To get away from yakking about corruption (Although yeah, your 'hood is toast, but if you're not a person who plays long-term, you may not need to worry about it because usually -- though not always -- it takes time, sometimes quite a long time, before things become really unplayable)...Here are some ideas:
  • Try a challenge, perhaps? Some people find them stimulating, others find them too limiting. There are plenty just here in the "Challenges" section of the forum. Look and see if any interest you. Maybe try a shorter one to see how well you like to play challenges in general. Years ago, I played an Asylum Challenge wherein I kinda fell in love with all 8 of my inmates and decided to use them as the founders of a new neighborhood once I'd finished the challenge. Sort of "What happened to them after they were all well enough to leave the hospital" thing.
  • Or, if you don't want to do a whole challenge, maybe pick and choose from amongst several challeges' rules to come up with some rules you can use to form your own playstyle. (My own general style/rules cherrypick from the Legacy, Prosperity, and Build A City challenges. I've taken things I like from each -- and tossed what I don't like -- to make my own way of playing.) Often, having a structure will give you direction, which in turn gives a framework for how you'll play a Sim or a household, which in turn helps to keep things interesting.
  • Or maybe try out a Random Occurrence Scenario generator? (Generator here, and there are many occurrence lists on the internet. Here's one.) I usually use those in single-Sim households where things can be kinda boring sometimes.
  • Maybe try out things that you've never done in the game? Like, never had an alien baby? Maybe make a Sim and have him/her (if you have a mod so that females can get alien-pregnant, too) stargaze until they get snatched away by aliens. Then they have to raise the kid as a single parent. (If you want really crazy along that theme, try a Xenophilia challenge.)
  • Maybe make more than one family and switch between them every "X" number of Sim-days, rotation-style. That way, if one household is currently being a little boring, you know you're going to move on to the next one in "X" days.
Unlike other folks here, I personally don't need Sims with stories for them to be or to become interesting to me. I'm not a storyteller, at least not when it comes to how I play the game. Rather, I'm pretty solidly goal-oriented with it. I see a Sim's wants and LTWs as things I need to make happen in both the short- and long-term. Especially the "hard" non-LTW wants like, say, having 10 kids or lots of lovers or a zillion best friends or whatever. But even the little piddly ones are goals that direct how I play each Sim in a household on a Sim-daily basis. Also, overall, I usually have an overriding theme or goal for the neighborhood as a whole, trying to make it into a more "real" sort of community, with connections between households and an underlying economy -- based on player-owned businesses -- and stuff like that.

It's layered goals, basically. There are Sim-level goals, both daily ones and overall LTW goals. There are household-level goals. (Like say, this one over here wants to be self-sufficient so they grow their own food, for instance). And then there are community-level goals. All of those things work together to make each Sim, each household, and each neighborhood interesting to me. Because achieving goals is what interests me, not making/telling stories. This is probably why I have pretty much zero interest in playing pre-made neighborhoods, either Maxis ones or downloaded ones. Which isn't to say that stories are bad, of course. Just sayin' that not everyone needs or wants them, and maybe you're one of those people.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:32 AM
How I make my families interesting is I play an integrated hood, so all the families have a role in running the hood, making each family's focus on something different. I am also more goal orientated but with room for small stories to develop.

Right now I am playing my medieval game. So there is a salt making family, a number of different farming families since food is a big part of it, a mining/stone mason family, a blacksmith family, candle making family, baker, tavern, dressmaking family etc. No matter what time your hood is set in, I think making each family unique is one of the best ways of not getting bored with them.

I don't bother too much with a sims LTW, although I do occasionally fill that or make one up for them. Sims 2 is a very sandbox game with lots of CC available to stretch it further, so don't be confined to what maxis provides.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#34 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:34 AM
There is one thing that involves me into a neighborhood-that of writing down the daily occurrences in a family. I keep a running, updated 'diary' of my Tinsel town neighborhood and it keeps me on track on the various households and their development.

It doesn't have to be detailed, or long-just enough to keep one engaged.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
#35 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:05 AM
Right now I am playing my medieval game. So there is a salt making family, a number of different farming families ...

I really want to know how they make salt!

I hardly ever make sims in CAS because I find them boring, too. I've had many years of fun, though, playing the premades and kidnapping townies into their families, and, recently, I downloaded Widespot and that sparked a whole new avenue of play when I had my longtime pre-mades descend on the residents there who all have their own backgrounds and stories, but, yeah, what the others say, there's a million ways to play the game. Sometimes I spend a couple of weeks just building a lot I want the sims to visit or learning more about modding. As the others also say, if I were you, I'd delete that hood because it will have problems, and that might be a good excuse to download one someone else has populated, see if that's more fun for you.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:20 AM
That is an old Sunni made workbench. They light the fire, observe, stir the brine and grab salt. The salt comes in sellable containers that sims can stock the fridge with. http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...6674&hilit=salt
If you are using real fires your sim will need one bundle of wood for each time they light the fire. I have my salt maker do this when I close up shop at about 3pm. I find one lighting of the fire will let him gather plenty of salt. I have him stir the brine for every 5 he takes, but that is just my own rules, your sim doesn't have to stir it at all.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#37 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:43 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 19th Jun 2018 at 7:09 AM.
That is an old Sunni made workbench. They light the fire, observe, stir the brine and grab salt. The salt comes in sellable containers that sims can stock the fridge with. http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...6674&hilit=salt
If you are using real fires your sim will need one bundle of wood for each time they light the fire. I have my salt maker do this when I close up shop at about 3pm. I find one lighting of the fire will let him gather plenty of salt. I have him stir the brine for every 5 he takes, but that is just my own rules, your sim doesn't have to stir it at all.

Where does he get the brine? Are they near an ocean? Sunni's stuff is so amazing. I just read about her water collection mod today. Would go well with this, I guess. OP, check these out if you haven't. They are. Really. Amazing!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:57 AM
Well yes... he should have a swamp or be near the ocean (no ocean in this town) I put that family and house in without reading the blurb on it properly. It doesn't require water only the logs for the fire. before realistic fires, it could be used with no wood, so I am glad it was updated.

I have fetch water. (If Sunni made it I have it lol) You might want to hop over to the mod area and pick up two mods, water needed for baths and sinks. Sims can't wash up or take a bath without having the water buckets in inventory.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#39 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 7:29 AM
Maybe it's mineral salt and the water is some kind of weak chemical solution that's freeing the salt crystals from the surrounding matrix? That isn't normally necessary - with surface salts a basket and a stick are usually enough -but since there's no salt pan terrain or stick-and-basket work station, you just have to do what you can.

I still don't have a clear idea of what OP likes in a game; and my impression is that she doesn't know yet either. But by the time we're done with her she'll be spoiled for choice where to begin experimenting!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Maybe it's mineral salt and the water is some kind of weak chemical solution that's freeing the salt crystals from the surrounding matrix? That isn't normally necessary - with surface salts a basket and a stick are usually enough -but since there's no salt pan terrain or stick-and-basket work station, you just have to do what you can.

I still don't have a clear idea of what OP likes in a game; and my impression is that she doesn't know yet either. But by the time we're done with her she'll be spoiled for choice where to begin experimenting!

That old-timey salt thing looks cool. I will have to try that in my game.
Instructor
#41 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:59 PM
don't worry girl, i get so bored with the household after awhile too, but to me it's mostly of the hair with no cc's
but with my new laptop here with windows 10 i have to be carefull for a little while, (my game is flickering/flashing, i tried the graphic one's and i also tried to fix the flickering/flashing screen in general but i don't know how the graphic works and i did everything i could to solve the flickering/flashing and i did all the steps of it on youtube but it didn't work at all)

i sure can download the eyes since i don't need that much different eyes color, but when it comes to hair, i need all of them, so it's better to slow down when it comes to hair downloads. (i also need less skintone too, just like the eyes colors)

i never looked the link someone gave it here so it's about the time i look at that link (i have all of the expansions )

i always use the cheatcode called: Deleteallcharacters when i get so bored to the same households (and i exactly meant all of the sims households)
but i thought it was just me all the time
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 12:06 AM
@sailorleontine6 Do you have the 4gbt patch? Memory Standby and graphic rules done? http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments

Quote:
i always use the cheatcode called: Deleteallcharacters when i get so bored
That will instantly corrupt your hood. So long as you don't care about your hoods and toss them away quickly it doesn't matter.
people who want to keep your hoods, please don't try that cheat.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#43 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:09 AM
Instead of deleting sims, why don't you reevaluate their role in the hood? If your hood has a theme, it should be easy to do. If you still can't find anything to do with them, you can turn them into townies (with mods). As others have pointed out, deleting sims is via bin or cheats is a no-no.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Space Pony
#44 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:37 AM
Whenever i get bored to a family i just simply give them a new goal. I am talking about you Carlos darn Contender now. You will get that darn gym of yours to level 10 before you die! And no need to complain about furious sims, Your own fault to try to flirt with everything what looks like a female and moves!!

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Scholar
#45 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
Whenever i get bored to a family i just simply give them a new goal. I am talking about you Carlos darn Contender now. You will get that darn gym of yours to level 10 before you die! And no need to complain about furious sims, Your own fault to try to flirt with everything what looks like a female and moves!!

Agreed. Start a new business. Have several babies. Get abducted while wife pregnant. Turn the house into an orphanage. Start a school with Simlogical mods. Try a legacy (again...). Take the family's money away and have them live in tents on an empty lot. Try that Apocalypse challenge for the fourth time but tweak it so you don't have to have nuclear winter with that annoying wind sound all the time.

These are things that I have done. Also, instead of starting from CAS with a new sim everytime I get bored, I use a kid from an established family and either age them up or wait until they are adults. That way, they have some skills and family ties and friends already.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread with viable advices some time ago... but I don't see my reply... weird.
Alchemist
#47 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 11:19 PM
That will instantly corrupt your hood. So long as you don't care about your hoods and toss them away quickly it doesn't matter.
people who want to keep your hoods, please don't try that cheat.
character data still left after using the cheat?
Scholar
#48 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
character data still left after using the cheat?

Yes, I believe so. I used to use that cheat and my hoods were corrupted pretty much immediately. I started seeing the squiggly lines more and more often and strange things started to happen. So be very careful to not do any kind of deletion of sims in your game.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#49 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 12:30 PM
Yes, each and every sim that got deleted will be a part of it, so multiply broken data by the hundreds if it was a Maxis hood with all the townies.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#50 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 1:11 PM
Yes, each and every sim that got deleted will be a part of it, so multiply broken data by the hundreds if it was a Maxis hood with all the townies.

I never thought about it but this almost sounds like some sort of Lovcraftian Horror story (or one of the freakier Japanese mythological creatures) a huge conglomeration of the remnants of destroyed people spreading some baleful, insidious influence across the land, eventually leading to the end of the world.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Page 2 of 3