Replies: 52 (Who?), Viewed: 18131 times.
Page 2 of 3
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 7:05 PM Last edited by billielith : 14th Nov 2018 at 12:48 AM.
Hi again all, I hope you are well.
Thanks again for the help before. You are amazingly precious! :D

I tried and tried and I think I tried too much. I was never able to properly curl the bottom of his hair, I am hopeless with meshing. Instead I got back to the hair I used for him before. I also hated the clothes I made for him, texture was meh, so I went and found other possibilities on MTS and GoS and finally chose something. Aikea Guinea separated the adult version of the teen style outfit and I recolored the top to something similar but darker, closer to the kind of things he wears sometimes. I also found him skinny jeans with sneakers.

I believe Reid would be ready. What do you think?

But yesterday as I was continuing my re-watch of the series I cried of joy when, in Season 3, David Rossi (Joe Mantegna) got back on the team. He was starting, really, but to me watching this again it was like him coming back, lol. I didn't realize I missed him so much! I am going to sim him.

Care to help me for Rossi too? What about we do it in this thread? I have a first version. Please tell me what you think.

Screenshots

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Field Researcher
#27 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 7:22 PM
Reid has sooo many looks/styles/personalities, it's practically impossible to capture them all. But you have captured the essence that is omnipresent in all his changing moods: You NAILED the eyes; and also the mouth and jawline. I don't really have any practicable comments on the hair, coz it is truly impossible to capture. You know he'll have gone through two more hairstyles by the time you upload his Sim.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 10:07 PM Last edited by billielith : 28th Sep 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4RE
Reid has sooo many looks/styles/personalities, it's practically impossible to capture them all. But you have captured the essence that is omnipresent in all his changing moods: You NAILED the eyes; and also the mouth and jawline. I don't really have any practicable comments on the hair, coz it is truly impossible to capture. You know he'll have gone through two more hairstyles by the time you upload his Sim.

Hi d4RE, thanks for chiming in!

Thanks for being so encouraging. Reid changes his hairstyles so much indeed! lol. What about Rossi?
There's a little pinch of determination in his lips, I find it a bit difficult to repeat in the sim, lol. It's not really him yet, but it wants to get there. What do you think?

Screenshots

Test Subject
#29 Old 4th Oct 2018 at 11:08 PM Last edited by k.ahearn11 : 7th Oct 2018 at 9:50 AM.
Hey,
Reid looks really good so I think I'll chime in on Rossi lol.

1. Is there a slightly fuller beard you could use? It's just a little bit wider in rl.
2. Maybe try a different hairstyle? One that stands up a little like the picture on the left.

It's already looking really good, and you've captured his likeness well

Edit: I think his head is a little too long, in the photo it is a little more square shaped
Field Researcher
#30 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 8:47 AM
# 2 looks pretty close, but I just slightly prefer the eyes on #1. Nose, mouth (better on #2 than first one), cheeks look great. That high Frankenstein forehead of his is hard to match maybe, or I may just be unable to tell because the hairstyle is so different from his pic. Only suggestion I have is maybe a little more jowl, because the neck looks so skinny.

_ WesHowe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 9:52 PM
Hi k.ahearn11 and hi again d4RE, thanks for chiming in, always a pleasure to get outside eyes, help and support, you are great!

Update - David Rossi
1) Beard - I didn't find anything similar to what he has, so I made it, it's obviously a first version, not perfect yet but it's at least close to what he has. Style isn't perfect and it lacks some greying. What do you think?
2) Changed the hairstyle - what do you think of this one?
3) Edited his eyes
4) Added more jowl, but the neck is still too long, like on all sims in Sims 2... not sure if it can be helped without editing the outfit, that's what I did for Tywin...

It's getting a bit closer but it's still not 100% Rossi, not even 90% yet. The sim still has something a bit too 'sim', too plastic/artificial, don't you think? Maybe it's the lack of wrinkles. But they do hide the actor's wrinkles and he looks like he wears a certain amount of concealer. If anyone has any ideas how to improve him, please tell!

Update - Spencer Reid (sim displayed earlier in the thread)
I am about to release Dr Reid, still not sure how I will display him. I want him to be 'Criminal-Mind-y', yet still attractive to people not watching the show.

If you have ideas to improve either Reid or Rossi, or about what the post should contain when I upload them, everyone is welcome to join in, I love the team work. Much fun!

Thanks!
Screenshots

Test Subject
#32 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 11:50 PM
Rossi:
1. Beard is good, will be better when you finalize it
2. I think the hairstyle is alright, but the colour is a little off... Is there any way you can download a dark brown - slightly greying hair?
3. Like you said, I think some more wrinkles would be okay. Maybe some light eye bags?
4. I think the nose is a bit too big from the side
5. Is it possible to tip his ears a little backwards?

Reid:
I'm not too sure about what you could write..
I think you should have a full profile photo.. (see below) with the typical grey background

Just a normal face one from the front and sides..

And then a kind of 'action' photo..

(Or maybe infront of a big board with all of the murder photos and such)

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help for Reid
Field Researcher
#33 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 4:08 PM
Wholly agree with k.ahearn11's #3, 4, and 5. Love the new beard and hairstyle (although I know you'll be tweaking them till you like them, too ). Now that I can better tell what's going on with the forehead, I think it could be sloped back a bit at the very top. Overall, you pretty much have got him. The only nagging thing left is to age him up some - looks too young as is.

_ WesHowe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 7:01 PM
k.ahearnq11

Thanks so much for your comments on Reid. Encouragements are always appreciated.

Rossi : still not finished with him, still working on him.
1) Beard needs to better for sure. I'll work on it.
2) For the hair tone I have dark brown, almost black, I will try it and post the update.
3) Wrinkles and eyebags are a good idea. I'll try that.
4) Nose too big from the side indeed. Good find!
5) Ears backwards indeed. Another good find!

I am so thankful that you are doing this with me. Thank you! :D

d4RE

1) Forehead sloped more, indeed. Good find!
2) Aging him. Another good find.

I am thankful of your presence too!

Let's keep doing this, it's fun. And you people are good at it.

Now Penelope Garcia. Above Reid and above Rossi, she is THE reason I am watching Criminal Minds. It's all so gloom and dark and then you have her. She is like, a merge between summer fireworks and a big fluffy hug. She is amazing. She is joy incarnated. I couldn't not sim her, I have to.

First version :

Of course, obviously, it's not exactly the same hair decos, hairstyles, flowery outfits, but I don't know if I'll find that. I'll keep looking.

While you look at her and tell me what works and what doesn't, I'll tweak Rossi and post him here once I am done.

Billie out.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#35 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:44 AM Last edited by k.ahearn11 : 27th Oct 2018 at 1:05 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billielith
k.ahearnq11

Thanks so much for your comments on Reid. Encouragements are always appreciated.

Rossi : still not finished with him, still working on him.
1) Beard needs to better for sure. I'll work on it.
2) For the hair tone I have dark brown, almost black, I will try it and post the update.
3) Wrinkles and eyebags are a good idea. I'll try that.
4) Nose too big from the side indeed. Good find!
5) Ears backwards indeed. Another good find!

I am so thankful that you are doing this with me. Thank you! :D

No problem, it's actually really fun being able to see a character we all (well, most people) know and love come to life through the sims!

Okay, for Garcia..
1. Eyebrows a little more arched and darker if possible
2. Eyes should tilt upwards a little more, towards the forehead
3. I think her face could be a little bit rounder and fuller
4. I'm probably stating the obvious, and you already know, but the beauty mark is on the wrong side??
5. I think the laughter lines around the mouth are a bit of the wrong shape, once again though, just me being super fussy lol

I do actually like the hair already, but if you find something better maybe upload some comparisons, like with Reid?
I think Garcia has started off the best and most recognizable so far Can't wait to see how she turns out, good job!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 1:58 AM
I think you pretty much nailed her in one take. Took me a sec to realize the one on the right was the Sim. Obviously the side part in her hair is missing, and the only thing I can see to tweak is making her wider at the top of her cheeks just below the eyes. Even though she has a fuller face, her chin is not as wide as her cheeks.

_ WesHowe
Field Researcher
#37 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 7:02 PM Last edited by Kunder : 2nd Nov 2018 at 7:31 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billielith
Liz
Thanks! Are they too round now? I feel like there's still something wrong with his eyes. He is so different from one pic to the other, it's difficult to see.

Maxon
Nose edited, mouth edited. I thought I had all the sliders. I went back and got the 'Late for the party', hoping they would help for those dimples. The sliders give him a smirk he does not have, but by combining the smirk sliders with other mouth sliders I kinda got to what I think is the right shape. What do you think?

Kunder
Thank you! If you like caricaturized sims, maybe you would like my Minecraft sims or my 'Otherworldly Foes'. Meanwhile, for tilting mouths unevenly and other oddballs on sim faces, check the blog with the sliders. Search 'Sims 2 Sliders' on Google - I did that just a moment ago to get the sliders Maxon mentioned.

I made a choice regarding the hair. I went for one that was not too curly, not too straight, and not too symmetrical. What do you think? I am going to try to make it a bit more 'Reid-like'. He does not have so much bangs.

My Sims are a bit "cartoonish" and tend to look like this.

Your Sims are fantastic, BTW.

Thanx for the tip on the sliders, but I think I already have those. I'll have to give them a try.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 4:25 PM Last edited by billielith : 9th Nov 2018 at 4:52 PM.
Kunder : Thank you for your kind compliment. Your sims are cute.

d4RE and k.ahearn11 : Thanks for your precious input. We're going to get this!

LAST UPDATE ON ROSSI

UPDATED TODAY!
1) Hair tone - dark brown instead of black.
2) Signs of time - wrinkles and eyebags have been added.
3) Nose - slightly shorter and twisted a little bit.
4) Ears - backwards as much as possible.
5) Forehead - sloped more.

What do you think of the latest updates?
The area between the eye and the nose on the 'side' picture cannot really be improved much more, other than that, and other than the beard and hair, do you see anything that still needs work?

NOT UPDATED TODAY
1) Beard - I'll rework the texture and add some grey.
2) Hair mesh - Tigher on the sides, puffier on top. If possible, some sideburns would be great.

Beard and hair mesh will be updated soon.
Garcia will be updated soon as well. Stay tuned!
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#39 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 4:59 PM Last edited by d4RE : 11th Nov 2018 at 4:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
I really like the effect the nose twist makes on his face from the front. The brow and ears look better as well. I'm looking at Mr. Mantegna's pic and notice that the jowly part of his cheeks are almost entirely above the mouth line. Maybe that's why it's so hard to recreate his face roundness?

_ WesHowe
Test Subject
#40 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 2:00 AM
Wow, he's really coming together now! The nose twist has really made him more realistic, good job!

I have noticed on the side photo, the corners of his mouth on the sim version are angled just a little bit too far down.
Other than that, all I can think of now is just cosmetic stuff, his skin tone should be darker and more orange, and his eyes perhaps a darker brown?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 11:38 PM Last edited by billielith : 22nd Nov 2018 at 11:54 PM.
Hi again all, thanks for following this!

New update. I tried to rework his face along the lines of your most recent comments,

- Face roundness, check
- better hair, check
- corners of the mouth, check
- darker skintone, check
- added a little eyebags, tell me if it's good or not
- eye color a bit darker and richer
- I TRIED to edit the beard but it has distortion from hell, look at the picture
- I gave him a Maxis outfit recolor that looks like what he usually wears - I tried to find something else as I already used this outfit on JDM, but eh, this is the best.
- I made his FBI ring, sortof. It's not perfect yet. You know that big ring he wears on his right hand's ring finger? The sim isn't wearing it on the right hand or right finger and the shape isn't right, it's supposed to be round but I didn't find existing round rings, just Adele's coffin rings that we have since forever on MTS.

So. Beard still needs greying and still needs work if he is going to have nice flowing stubble/beard instead of some sort of distorted beard spread on his face. If I find a way to manage that distortion from hell on his bottom face, maybe we will have better beard. If not, we'll have to settle with the current beard spread, to which I will simply add some greying. I hope I find a way to manage that thing and make it better.
- What do you think of the hair?
- What do you think of the face?
- What do you think of the choice of colors for the outfit?
- Do you know of other ring meshes I could use? it has to be massive. His ring is huge. It's not a tiny ring. I don't seem able to understand accessory meshing. I could try again but don't expect miracles on this end. If we can find a good mesh that I could recolor then we'll be in business.
- Do you think I should make a version with super grey hair/beard like he has lately?
- Does anyone has tricks to make the mapping of distortion from hell easier?

I'll be waiting for your reactions and I'll be working on pushing this sim further. I would like to post him in the next days/weeks and then work on Garcia and make sure she is ready before Xmas. I'll also need time to write perfect posts for them!

Of course the 'beard' with lines isn't true beard, this is just a sort of 'placement guide' I am trying to make but you can see that it's not going to be easy just to find which shape I have to give to the beard in Photoshop to make it look right on the sim despite the distortion
Screenshots

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#42 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 12:27 AM
For the beard mapping/distortion: to me it makes sense to reverse the curves. Like if the texture curves to the left on the sim, make it curve more to the right on the texture. It seems like that should straighten things up... but I'm so full of turkey and pumpkin pie that I may be under the influence of needing a nap, lol.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 1:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
For the beard mapping/distortion: to me it makes sense to reverse the curves. Like if the texture curves to the left on the sim, make it curve more to the right on the texture. It seems like that should straighten things up... but I'm so full of turkey and pumpkin pie that I may be under the influence of needing a nap, lol.

Yeah, sounds delicious! lol. I think of drawing mini-rulers on each line to see exactly where the twists and turns occur and reverse them properly, if they don't kill my patience, lol. These lines are just guides, but I suppose if I get them right I can just follow them with my texture? I wonder.

Test Subject
#44 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 5:21 AM
Okay, looking good!

So I think the face and clothes are pretty much perfect, but I'm not so sure about the hair...
The shape is good, but I just don't like the small bits towards the top that stick up and wisp out.

I'm not very good with photoshop or anything, but I did think along the same lines as mustluvcatz with the beard distortion problem....
Field Researcher
#45 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 11:16 PM
Hair looks good - looked a little short in the closeup, with the sticking-up parts, but perfect in full body shot. Even Rossi gets a haircut now and then, yeah?

Liking the face, the outfit looks great, and the ring, while not perfect, is still better than some of the original game rings.

I would say add more grey in the beard than the hair, but don't go heavy like his most recent look on either. ( We men are vain about how we're remembered, too. )

That craziness with the beard distortion - uh, wow. Maybe some slider left some pinching in your face mesh? Agree with the others that pulling your beard opposite is probably the best way to correct it.

_ WesHowe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#46 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 12:39 AM
Hi again,
Didn't find the time to make Rossi's beard properly, but I tried a new hairstyle. In fact, I went for 'Delphy's hair' (HP/fansee) and edited the mesh to give it Rossi's hair shape. If this cannot work for some reason, I'll go for the haircut suggestion, although Rossi's puffy hair is a bit of his 'italian descent' feature. I would rather let him have it, if possible. But I am such a terrible mesher! lol. It's totally a struggle for me still.
What do you think?

I'll try to make time for the beard and come back here to post a next update. Cheers!
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#47 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 7:02 PM
I definitely like this hair a bit better than the last.

_ WesHowe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 11:56 PM
You guys don't have much to say about Rossi anymore, do you? I think it could mean he is ready. I'm going to upload him now.

Afterwards, we will move on to Garcia. Thanks again for following me on this.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#49 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 5:37 AM
How is everything coming along?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 11th Apr 2019 at 2:08 AM
Hi all, I don't have the same freetime as before, but I didn't forget Garcia. I didn't make any progress on her yet, but I have a little surprise for you. ^^

In fact, I said that I wouldn't sim anyone else after her, but then my daughter helped me realize that my old sims could help me get a good start.

My blonde female Minecraft sim already looks a little like J.J., and my sim of Fred Burkle already looks a little like Prentiss. I tweaked the both of them a little, gave them non-Maxis clothing, and here's the result. Tell me what you think. I'm posting pictures of all three of them, I'll work on the three of them at once and post them each in their own separate post when they are ready, depending who is ready the first.

Here's the pictures now. You can look at the extra pictures in the bin for details. I think it's a good start! ^^
Of course the clothing and accessories might be a bit different.

Screenshots

Page 2 of 3