Replies: 4609 (Who?), Viewed: 267213 times.
Page 3 of 185
Forum Resident
#51 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Kate said at the last stream that they would be "going dark" till after the holidays now.
Yup, yup. Heard that too. Someone even said they said they'll be quiet for the next 1-2 months, but I don't know where that came from. But at least until January we probably won't hear anything (except the holiday update/patch tomorrow).

I still wonder what happened to the SP and GP team. In January it'll be nearly a year since both teams released something.
Mad Poster
#52 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 11:33 AM
I was rather enjoying the constant stream of largely worthless Stuff Packs....I've never really planned on buying them but it's neat to see one game get so much content. Makes TS3 feel a tad bare sometimes.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#53 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 12:24 PM
What? TS3 was never short on content. We got a stuff pack worth of content monthly. The only issue was the quality of the content released to the store, which varied.

TS4 would go months without content, while TS3 MAYBE missed a single month in 4 years.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#54 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 2:19 PM
It's also been indicated, some time ago, that they have now deprecated the EP/GP/SP system and would be working more fluidly. IMHO it's bringing results.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 1:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeservedCriticism
Isn't this normal?

Pack is announced, people watch the trailer and scream "OMG I LOVE IT," everyone pre-orders irregardless of the outlook, pack releases, everyone plays it a week, suddenly it's boring and everyone's discussing when the next pack might release. Rinse and repeat.

Actually Get Famous has been received quite well. Much better than I was anticipating myself. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it versus the way it was promoted and my lack of excitement leading up to it. I actually think most Sims players are the creative types and the creative types are daydreamers and full of imagination. I am very satisfied with the current state of the game with all the packs and updates they've given us but constantly daydream about all the cool things that could be added! It's a game about life so there are endless possibilities. I've done this since the first iteration actually. This is the fun of speculating over a game like Sims even if you received a pack five seconds ago!
One Minute Ninja'd
#56 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 8:15 PM
Get Famous was a real sleeper. I thought it was bound to be a disaster, but it's actually added far more fun play options, and you can really craft a story using all the new features and activities. Sure, it still requires mod tuning to get it tamed into something preferable for the individual player, but it really breathed life into the game for me.
Forum Resident
#57 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 8:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
Get Famous was a real sleeper. I thought it was bound to be a disaster, but it's actually added far more fun play options, and you can really craft a story using all the new features and activities. Sure, it still requires mod tuning to get it tamed into something preferable for the individual player, but it really breathed life into the game for me.

For me, with Get Famous...

On the plus side, it's a chance to customize your sims further, and this is desperately needed. Part of the reasons Vampires was so well-received is because it does precisely this, so I imagine a lot of people are really happy to have a new system with new ways to customize their sims further.

On the other hand though, it still seems really barebones in terms of features and as predicted, most of the focus of the perks and such goes towards the standard themes of Fame packs: getting buttloads of money and getting friends fast. Given that the game already has multiple ways to gain friends fast (one of the aspiration rewards means instant friends, the polite trait from Parenthood does the same) and money is already stupid easy to get, (did a double-take that they REDUCED thermostat bills in the new patch, as if that were needed) it's not like there's any really neat new features on offer here, just yet another method to get stinking rich. It's like the occult: you either participate in the fame system or you don't, and if you don't, there's virtually no content on offer here.

I also personally have mixed feelings about the sheer amount of things that give fame, because on one hand it opens up methods for your sim to get famous through various means - much like real life - but on the other hand it also means that omg every Sim you ever make will be "on the road to fame" whether you want that or not. The option to toggle it off for a household was definitely a vital feature here, because I get the vibe that if it didn't exist, we'd have Late Night Fame System 2.0, just slower-moving so that your sims eventually become famous instead of becoming famous in two days because they kissed someone famous. Still, not good balance when becoming famous seems inevitable for many Sim types.

I get the vibe they could've removed the acting career and the tiny-ass neighborhood and released the entire fame/reputation system as a Game pack and people would still be totally satisfied.
Forum Resident
#58 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 1:14 PM
http://simscommunity.info/2018/12/2...reak-your-game/

If anyone wondered what the new big bug would be - The new item called "Lin Z Smart Speaker" may break your game and you'll have to revert your save file. So it's best not to use it.
One Minute Ninja'd
#59 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 1:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeservedCriticism
For me, with Get Famous...

On the plus side, it's a chance to customize your sims further, and this is desperately needed. Part of the reasons Vampires was so well-received is because it does precisely this, so I imagine a lot of people are really happy to have a new system with new ways to customize their sims further.

On the other hand though, it still seems really barebones in terms of features and as predicted, most of the focus of the perks and such goes towards the standard themes of Fame packs: getting buttloads of money and getting friends fast. Given that the game already has multiple ways to gain friends fast (one of the aspiration rewards means instant friends, the polite trait from Parenthood does the same) and money is already stupid easy to get, (did a double-take that they REDUCED thermostat bills in the new patch, as if that were needed) it's not like there's any really neat new features on offer here, just yet another method to get stinking rich. It's like the occult: you either participate in the fame system or you don't, and if you don't, there's virtually no content on offer here.

I also personally have mixed feelings about the sheer amount of things that give fame, because on one hand it opens up methods for your sim to get famous through various means - much like real life - but on the other hand it also means that omg every Sim you ever make will be "on the road to fame" whether you want that or not. The option to toggle it off for a household was definitely a vital feature here, because I get the vibe that if it didn't exist, we'd have Late Night Fame System 2.0, just slower-moving so that your sims eventually become famous instead of becoming famous in two days because they kissed someone famous. Still, not good balance when becoming famous seems inevitable for many Sim types.

I get the vibe they could've removed the acting career and the tiny-ass neighborhood and released the entire fame/reputation system as a Game pack and people would still be totally satisfied.

IDK, the actor career has some realistic features to it. There's also the social media career, and of course you can just create your own "career" if you're into being creative and make videos and music remixes. And it is realistic to have a successful painter or writer gaining fame and the perks associated. And there are certainly plenty of successful rich businessmen who become household names and doctors not only popular to patients, but recognition for accomplishments, especially if they like being in the public eye. You can have a non-celebrity family, a serious climb the ladder acting career, a Brangelina family, or Kardashian for that matter if it's just about fame without any skills. The acting career also seems more true to the real world than the other active careers like scientists and doctors. In some ways that makes more "relatable". Yes, there are dozens of RH careers from the modding community that are structured to meet the actual career paths of real life, but they're still RH jobs. You can pick any one and it all feels the same for your sims family. They're gone, they come back with some money, and then turn to whatever form of gameplay you like whether family or socially focused. This one is different, and not like the RH actors of Late Night and its flawed celebrity system. While this one is far from perfect, it is more developed than I expected from them.

It's like everything else, it's personal experience and opinion as to whether or not it adds to the game. I was surprised to find that it does add some variety. Is it enough? Well, anything can be made better, but IMO this wasn't an empty effort.
Forum Resident
#60 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 3:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara
http://simscommunity.info/2018/12/2...reak-your-game/

If anyone wondered what the new big bug would be - The new item called "Lin Z Smart Speaker" may break your game and you'll have to revert your save file. So it's best not to use it.

"The hardest working team," ladies and gentlemen.
Scholar
#61 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:40 AM
Maxis just pushed out a late night patch to fix the corruption problem with the new smart speaker and time controls not working in TAB mode. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed they pulled overtime on this and got it out before taking off for the holidays.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#62 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 9:08 AM
I think it's because Lindsay's in charge now. She's given the devs "ownership" of the game again so they no longer feel like mere pawns in the hands of the execs, and now both feel motivated and act on their motivation.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#63 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:52 AM
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...428592082960384
Their Maxis Monthly won't announce any packs anymore and tomorrow we won't get any patch news either.

I thought a big part of this stream was to let us peek at upcoming content. Disappointed to be honest, but at least that means there's no reason to watch it for me.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 12:37 PM
Quote:
Their Maxis Monthly won't announce any packs anymore and tomorrow we won't get any patch news either.

I thought a big part of this stream was to let us peek at upcoming content. Disappointed to be honest, but at least that means there's no reason to watch it for me.

It was and then there was the whole 'we're trying to transparent' BS. Everybody should know by now that what EA ( or Maxis in this case) sez and what they do are two completely different animals.

On a positive note, it seems as though Maxis has finally come around to the idea of toggles. How long has there been discussions about this around here? I guess being almost 4 and half years late is better than never.

Quote:
Grant Rodiek @SimGuruGrant

What I want us to get better about is providing options. If you like things, keep 'em. If they annoy you, disable.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...344361575116800
Scholar
#65 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:19 PM
Quote:

I know, right? I thought the whole point of Maxis Monthly was to replace the quarterly teasers and give us news on what's coming up? Kate said she's showing off something nifty though - so, color me confused. I wish they'd just make up their damn minds and stick to a formula instead of all this back and forth nonsense. It gives me a headache.
Forum Resident
#66 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 4:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparkison
I know, right? I thought the whole point of Maxis Monthly was to replace the quarterly teasers and give us news on what's coming up? Kate said she's showing off something nifty though - so, color me confused. I wish they'd just make up their damn minds and stick to a formula instead of all this back and forth nonsense. It gives me a headache.
My guess is a little cheat or something. If it's really something that small then it seems like wasted resources to spend the time and effort into making a Twitch stream to showcase that instead of just posting an official post. (There's also the possibility of showing new stuff for Sims Mobile and I know quite a few people are playing it, but do these mobile players really need or even watch a stream for that? I would guess the big majority watches it for TS4.)
Forum Resident
#67 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 7:56 PM
Update: Nope, wasn't a cheat. You can play Sims music and trivia game with your Alexa next week
https://simsvip.com/2019/01/08/maxi...nabled-devices/
Scholar
#68 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:45 PM
Quote:
Update: Nope, wasn't a cheat. You can play Sims music and trivia game with your Alexa next week
https://simsvip.com/2019/01/08/maxi...nabled-devices/

I guess Maxis decided to rip off Bethesda's idea, since they did this first with Skyrim, and the presentation Bethesda did at E3 last year to announce it was pretty damn funny.

Apparently there was quite a bit of outrage and nastiness in the chat for the stream today, because SimGuru Kate has a long thread on her Twitter about what Maxis Monthly is versus what I guess people like me thought it was supposed to be. I knew it was going to be bad right off when Emory was saying that this didn't take away from regular development. Hopefully next month's stream is better. I don't even care about upcoming pack news, really, I would have just been happy to hear we were getting a patch this week or next.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#69 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:48 PM
Will it break the game as well when it's plugged?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 11:57 PM
Well their communication strategy is falling apart, again. Perhaps they wouldn’t have these problems if they didn’t try to commit to things that everyone knew they couldn’t sustain. MM will no longer produce any info regarding future content - so what makes that series any different than the guru garage series and what reason do people have to tune in? Like the quarterly teasers these streams will get cut and replaced by something else, which will probably be even further away from what people are asking for.
Scholar
#71 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 12:12 AM
This would probably wouldn't have been such a problem for them if they hadn't made it its own thing. They should have added this in with another stream with actual content announcement instead. I personally have no problem with this stream - they obviously didn't have anything new content wise to announce yet. They should probably have waited, but honestly I don't blame them for expecting adults to not freak the fuck out because they didn't have anything new to announce in fricken January (apparently people did on twitter). For crying out loud, give them a break. What I take away from additions like this is that maxis is giving their developers some free reign to work on passion projects - this will most likely show in the new content aswell, but as it's a pretty much new thing in the development for this iteration of the dev team, I think we should have some patience. It's a very good sign that they are allowed to do that and they are encouraged to work on things they love, even if it's outside the normal dev time. Hopefully the employees that does it gets something for it aswell.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
#72 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 1:19 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 9th Jan 2019 at 2:36 AM.
Default Added more
I'm not really sure what they expected with this. When they did the stream where they revealed the first person camera, that didn't go over well either. I'm curious why they're acting like what happened today is something new, because it isn't. Anybody can watch previous streams and read the chat archive that went along with that stream. They also have the ability to ban or block people when they do these streams. If people were being that bothersome, why did they allow said people to stay in the first place? So many questions, so little (no) answers.

Moving on from that, regardless of how a person feels about the dev team putting their pet projects forward, there was no mention of dev pet projects in the 'sales pitch' for Maxis Monthly.

Quote:
Maxis Monthly streams will give players a sneak peek at future content for the game, new updates, a recap of what the Sims team has released, and also showcase some community creations. According to Maxis’ communication plan, this stream is a type of “talk show”.

https://simsvip.com/2018/09/20/the-...tober-2nd-2018/

Quote:
New Year, Old Kate ‏ @SimGuruKate I fully understand that prior to today's Maxis Monthly we have shown something new for TS4 every single time. But I also made it VERY CLEAR from the beginning that not every MM will show upcoming content for TS4, or any products. It is luck of the draw that they had so far.

No, Kate... actually you didn't. You need to go back and read your own tweets from back in October. After you've finished reading that, there is something else that needs to be cleared up.

Quote:
New Year, Old Kate ‏ @SimGuruKate And I'd like you to remember that ultimately, we all love The Sims, we are all passionate about this franchise, and we all want the best for TS4, TSFP, TSM, SimCity, and all past and future projects.

Um, no. There has been plenty of trash thrown at TS3 from the very people that made it. You were not a CM at the time, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Wall of Kate Tweets

Such a tangled web they weave for themselves while the main problem continues to be ignored. That problem being lack of consistency and now they're going to add back-peddling or trying to redefine what they meant 3 months ago because of a change in narrative. Starting a few more fires always ends well. SMH

EDIT:

Quote:
Joel Eckert @SimGuruMrE

1) Time
2) Scope
3) Cost

https://twitter.com/SimGuruMrE/stat...809609050443776

Hmm. This either explains a few things or not. We'll have to wait and see if this becomes a trend.

They love to throw that money thing in there, don't they. Andrew Wilson made over 35 million in 2018 alone. I have zero interest in hearing about cost issues.

https://www1.salary.com/ANDREW-WILS...C-ARTS-INC.html
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 5:54 AM
I'm getting real tired of Kates bitching about "respecting the devs/gurus". Asking for "respect" doesn't give you a blanket pass on criticism. Obviously death threats and all that is not okay but it's basically anything negative = respect us!!1!

Every stream they have done is followed by a massive rant and retweeting of people telling the fanbase to lay off the devs. Instead of telling off your CUSTOMERS for not liking what you produce how about you produce something people want? Oh right that's totally out there, what a silly idea tee-hee If you have to put disclaimers before and defend it after every stream perhaps it's time to look at why you need to do so.

And I don't even mind the monthly "nothing special" streams at all.

Does she have a PR degree or something? Because I don't mean to be harsh but Kate just doesn't get it. Is SimGuruInsufferable (aka Grant) using her as a mouthpiece for his ideas because the community doesn't like him?

Honestly just put Graham in charge of everything, including PR and head of development or whatever title that gives him power to control what is created.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Inventor
#74 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 6:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive
Honestly just put Graham in charge of everything, including PR and head of development or whatever title that gives him power to control what is created.

Nope. We're stuck with Mr. A Talking Toilet is more important than functional elevators or urinals/toilet stalls.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#75 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 8:54 AM
Does the quiz with the Alexa port/whatever include buzzfeed questions like "What is your spiritual furry costume?" or "has the talking toilet changed your life?" ?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Page 3 of 185