Replies: 3334 (Who?), Viewed: 194934 times.
Page 3 of 134
Instructor
#51 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara
For some more context - Someone posted that graphic on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...ople_decide_on/

Personally I thought that graphic was a mess. Hard to read, the community voting is only from the SimSupply community and pure numbers of content are interesting, but as you said - Some packs like Cats & Dogs were just stuffed with 100 wall decor items.
I'm also really confused why Cats & Dogs got a fairly high rating and Vampires such a low one. Both added new mechanics, but I think most people can agree that Vampires was done so much better. I guess (and hope) it's simply because a good amount of people doesn't like playing with supernatural creatures.

For me it's more about how blatant of a rip-off the Stuff packs are. Fitness stuff isn't that old and it added 41 objects total. Meanwhile Vampires managed 202 objects and they feel like really quality objects. I'm not a big builder or CAS-Simmer and play more for raw gameplay features, but the Vampire build and CAS objects were honestly fantastic. They did a tremendous job of fleshing out an entire style of clothing and furniture that we simply didn't have before. The entire "set" felt complete and really well done, and that's not even counting the gameplay mechanics, which were the best they've done with this game, imo.

And yeah, meanwhile the *best* Stuff pack in terms of content has 71 objects, so a bit more than 1/3rd of the objects of Vampires for half the price. Even if we ignore the gameplay features of the stuff pack entirely, it should be priced at $7 to match it's content count. Once you account for the lack of gameplay features, the price probably looks more like $5 or $6 only. It's amazing to me how many people defended the Stuff Pack model. That shit was absolute robbery and this graphic is the final nail in the coffin for that, as far as I'm concerned.

I also consider it telling that there's no correlation between objects included and release date. Get Famous is the newest EP and it ranks 2nd worst on object count. Thing is, Seasons has a damned good excuse for being that low because Seasons added a lot of gameplay features and honestly feels like it's gameplay objects did more or had more interactions. Get Famous...? I'm still not convinced that pack is anything special. It just looks like a reputation/fame system, one active career and that's it. When we look at raw content in terms of objects, it's one of the weakest, too.

Infact, if we really wanna nitpick, Expansion packs actually have a downward trend in terms of objects included. Cats & Dogs is the lone anomaly, but that pack both felt padded and in a way it's understandable it'd be high since they legit need to make every pet clothing or interactive object in that pack, so they can't afford to be lazy....well, or so we thought. They managed to leave out doghouses somehow.
Forum Resident
#52 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeservedCriticism
For me it's more about how blatant of a rip-off the Stuff packs are. Fitness stuff isn't that old and it added 41 objects total. Meanwhile Vampires managed 202 objects and they feel like really quality objects. I'm not a big builder or CAS-Simmer and play more for raw gameplay features, but the Vampire build and CAS objects were honestly fantastic. They did a tremendous job of fleshing out an entire style of clothing and furniture that we simply didn't have before. The entire "set" felt complete and really well done, and that's not even counting the gameplay mechanics, which were the best they've done with this game, imo.

And yeah, meanwhile the *best* Stuff pack in terms of content has 71 objects, so a bit more than 1/3rd of the objects of Vampires for half the price. Even if we ignore the gameplay features of the stuff pack entirely, it should be priced at $7 to match it's content count. Once you account for the lack of gameplay features, the price probably looks more like $5 or $6 only. It's amazing to me how many people defended the Stuff Pack model. That shit was absolute robbery and this graphic is the final nail in the coffin for that, as far as I'm concerned.

I also consider it telling that there's no correlation between objects included and release date. Get Famous is the newest EP and it ranks 2nd worst on object count. Thing is, Seasons has a damned good excuse for being that low because Seasons added a lot of gameplay features and honestly feels like it's gameplay objects did more or had more interactions. Get Famous...? I'm still not convinced that pack is anything special. It just looks like a reputation/fame system, one active career and that's it. When we look at raw content in terms of objects, it's one of the weakest, too.

Infact, if we really wanna nitpick, Expansion packs actually have a downward trend in terms of objects included. Cats & Dogs is the lone anomaly, but that pack both felt padded and in a way it's understandable it'd be high since they legit need to make every pet clothing or interactive object in that pack, so they can't afford to be lazy....well, or so we thought. They managed to leave out doghouses somehow.

Completely agree. It's so sad to see that all SP have between 20 to 40 Build/Buy mode items and 10 to 30 CAS items. Even sadder that many of them are really close to recolors (like hair styles that have now bangs instead of no bangs) which is technically fine but not when it's such a small amount of new items that every item counts.

And I'm glad to see someone agrees with Get Famous I have only seen good opinions about it in the last days and I wondered if the people who didn't like it or didn't buy it are just silent or if I'm missing something. I don't understand why it gets so much praise. To be completely honest - To me it seems like the worst EP until now. At least City Living had the new apartment system and a unique "city", and Get Together had an interesting new club system and the pretty world Windenburg. Get Famous is just completely recycled with a small world that looks ugly on the map and not that special in game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 7:04 PM
Has TS4 been dry of news lately?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#54 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 7:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Has TS4 been dry of news lately?

Isn't this normal?

Pack is announced, people watch the trailer and scream "OMG I LOVE IT," everyone pre-orders irregardless of the outlook, pack releases, everyone plays it a week, suddenly it's boring and everyone's discussing when the next pack might release. Rinse and repeat.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#55 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 9:04 AM
Kate said at the last stream that they would be "going dark" till after the holidays now.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#56 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Kate said at the last stream that they would be "going dark" till after the holidays now.
Yup, yup. Heard that too. Someone even said they said they'll be quiet for the next 1-2 months, but I don't know where that came from. But at least until January we probably won't hear anything (except the holiday update/patch tomorrow).

I still wonder what happened to the SP and GP team. In January it'll be nearly a year since both teams released something.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 11:33 AM
I was rather enjoying the constant stream of largely worthless Stuff Packs....I've never really planned on buying them but it's neat to see one game get so much content. Makes TS3 feel a tad bare sometimes.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#58 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 12:24 PM
What? TS3 was never short on content. We got a stuff pack worth of content monthly. The only issue was the quality of the content released to the store, which varied.

TS4 would go months without content, while TS3 MAYBE missed a single month in 4 years.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
#59 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 2:19 PM
It's also been indicated, some time ago, that they have now deprecated the EP/GP/SP system and would be working more fluidly. IMHO it's bringing results.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 1:52 PM
Quote:
Isn't this normal?

Pack is announced, people watch the trailer and scream "OMG I LOVE IT," everyone pre-orders irregardless of the outlook, pack releases, everyone plays it a week, suddenly it's boring and everyone's discussing when the next pack might release. Rinse and repeat.

Actually Get Famous has been received quite well. Much better than I was anticipating myself. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it versus the way it was promoted and my lack of excitement leading up to it. I actually think most Sims players are the creative types and the creative types are daydreamers and full of imagination. I am very satisfied with the current state of the game with all the packs and updates they've given us but constantly daydream about all the cool things that could be added! It's a game about life so there are endless possibilities. I've done this since the first iteration actually. This is the fun of speculating over a game like Sims even if you received a pack five seconds ago!
One Minute Ninja'd
#61 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 8:15 PM
Get Famous was a real sleeper. I thought it was bound to be a disaster, but it's actually added far more fun play options, and you can really craft a story using all the new features and activities. Sure, it still requires mod tuning to get it tamed into something preferable for the individual player, but it really breathed life into the game for me.
Instructor
#62 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 8:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
Get Famous was a real sleeper. I thought it was bound to be a disaster, but it's actually added far more fun play options, and you can really craft a story using all the new features and activities. Sure, it still requires mod tuning to get it tamed into something preferable for the individual player, but it really breathed life into the game for me.

For me, with Get Famous...

On the plus side, it's a chance to customize your sims further, and this is desperately needed. Part of the reasons Vampires was so well-received is because it does precisely this, so I imagine a lot of people are really happy to have a new system with new ways to customize their sims further.

On the other hand though, it still seems really barebones in terms of features and as predicted, most of the focus of the perks and such goes towards the standard themes of Fame packs: getting buttloads of money and getting friends fast. Given that the game already has multiple ways to gain friends fast (one of the aspiration rewards means instant friends, the polite trait from Parenthood does the same) and money is already stupid easy to get, (did a double-take that they REDUCED thermostat bills in the new patch, as if that were needed) it's not like there's any really neat new features on offer here, just yet another method to get stinking rich. It's like the occult: you either participate in the fame system or you don't, and if you don't, there's virtually no content on offer here.

I also personally have mixed feelings about the sheer amount of things that give fame, because on one hand it opens up methods for your sim to get famous through various means - much like real life - but on the other hand it also means that omg every Sim you ever make will be "on the road to fame" whether you want that or not. The option to toggle it off for a household was definitely a vital feature here, because I get the vibe that if it didn't exist, we'd have Late Night Fame System 2.0, just slower-moving so that your sims eventually become famous instead of becoming famous in two days because they kissed someone famous. Still, not good balance when becoming famous seems inevitable for many Sim types.

I get the vibe they could've removed the acting career and the tiny-ass neighborhood and released the entire fame/reputation system as a Game pack and people would still be totally satisfied.
Forum Resident
#63 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 1:14 PM
http://simscommunity.info/2018/12/2...reak-your-game/

If anyone wondered what the new big bug would be - The new item called "Lin Z Smart Speaker" may break your game and you'll have to revert your save file. So it's best not to use it.
One Minute Ninja'd
#64 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 1:49 PM
Quote:
For me, with Get Famous...

On the plus side, it's a chance to customize your sims further, and this is desperately needed. Part of the reasons Vampires was so well-received is because it does precisely this, so I imagine a lot of people are really happy to have a new system with new ways to customize their sims further.

On the other hand though, it still seems really barebones in terms of features and as predicted, most of the focus of the perks and such goes towards the standard themes of Fame packs: getting buttloads of money and getting friends fast. Given that the game already has multiple ways to gain friends fast (one of the aspiration rewards means instant friends, the polite trait from Parenthood does the same) and money is already stupid easy to get, (did a double-take that they REDUCED thermostat bills in the new patch, as if that were needed) it's not like there's any really neat new features on offer here, just yet another method to get stinking rich. It's like the occult: you either participate in the fame system or you don't, and if you don't, there's virtually no content on offer here.

I also personally have mixed feelings about the sheer amount of things that give fame, because on one hand it opens up methods for your sim to get famous through various means - much like real life - but on the other hand it also means that omg every Sim you ever make will be "on the road to fame" whether you want that or not. The option to toggle it off for a household was definitely a vital feature here, because I get the vibe that if it didn't exist, we'd have Late Night Fame System 2.0, just slower-moving so that your sims eventually become famous instead of becoming famous in two days because they kissed someone famous. Still, not good balance when becoming famous seems inevitable for many Sim types.

I get the vibe they could've removed the acting career and the tiny-ass neighborhood and released the entire fame/reputation system as a Game pack and people would still be totally satisfied.

IDK, the actor career has some realistic features to it. There's also the social media career, and of course you can just create your own "career" if you're into being creative and make videos and music remixes. And it is realistic to have a successful painter or writer gaining fame and the perks associated. And there are certainly plenty of successful rich businessmen who become household names and doctors not only popular to patients, but recognition for accomplishments, especially if they like being in the public eye. You can have a non-celebrity family, a serious climb the ladder acting career, a Brangelina family, or Kardashian for that matter if it's just about fame without any skills. The acting career also seems more true to the real world than the other active careers like scientists and doctors. In some ways that makes more "relatable". Yes, there are dozens of RH careers from the modding community that are structured to meet the actual career paths of real life, but they're still RH jobs. You can pick any one and it all feels the same for your sims family. They're gone, they come back with some money, and then turn to whatever form of gameplay you like whether family or socially focused. This one is different, and not like the RH actors of Late Night and its flawed celebrity system. While this one is far from perfect, it is more developed than I expected from them.

It's like everything else, it's personal experience and opinion as to whether or not it adds to the game. I was surprised to find that it does add some variety. Is it enough? Well, anything can be made better, but IMO this wasn't an empty effort.
Instructor
#65 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 3:33 PM
Quote:
http://simscommunity.info/2018/12/2...reak-your-game/

If anyone wondered what the new big bug would be - The new item called "Lin Z Smart Speaker" may break your game and you'll have to revert your save file. So it's best not to use it.

"The hardest working team," ladies and gentlemen.
Scholar
#66 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:40 AM
Maxis just pushed out a late night patch to fix the corruption problem with the new smart speaker and time controls not working in TAB mode. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed they pulled overtime on this and got it out before taking off for the holidays.
#67 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 9:08 AM
I think it's because Lindsay's in charge now. She's given the devs "ownership" of the game again so they no longer feel like mere pawns in the hands of the execs, and now both feel motivated and act on their motivation.

Forum Resident
#68 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:52 AM
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...428592082960384
Their Maxis Monthly won't announce any packs anymore and tomorrow we won't get any patch news either.

I thought a big part of this stream was to let us peek at upcoming content. Disappointed to be honest, but at least that means there's no reason to watch it for me.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 12:37 PM
Quote:
Their Maxis Monthly won't announce any packs anymore and tomorrow we won't get any patch news either.

I thought a big part of this stream was to let us peek at upcoming content. Disappointed to be honest, but at least that means there's no reason to watch it for me.

It was and then there was the whole 'we're trying to transparent' BS. Everybody should know by now that what EA ( or Maxis in this case) sez and what they do are two completely different animals.

On a positive note, it seems as though Maxis has finally come around to the idea of toggles. How long has there been discussions about this around here? I guess being almost 4 and half years late is better than never.

Quote:
Grant Rodiek @SimGuruGrant

What I want us to get better about is providing options. If you like things, keep 'em. If they annoy you, disable.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...344361575116800
Scholar
#70 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:19 PM
Quote:

I know, right? I thought the whole point of Maxis Monthly was to replace the quarterly teasers and give us news on what's coming up? Kate said she's showing off something nifty though - so, color me confused. I wish they'd just make up their damn minds and stick to a formula instead of all this back and forth nonsense. It gives me a headache.
Forum Resident
#71 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 4:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparkison
I know, right? I thought the whole point of Maxis Monthly was to replace the quarterly teasers and give us news on what's coming up? Kate said she's showing off something nifty though - so, color me confused. I wish they'd just make up their damn minds and stick to a formula instead of all this back and forth nonsense. It gives me a headache.
My guess is a little cheat or something. If it's really something that small then it seems like wasted resources to spend the time and effort into making a Twitch stream to showcase that instead of just posting an official post. (There's also the possibility of showing new stuff for Sims Mobile and I know quite a few people are playing it, but do these mobile players really need or even watch a stream for that? I would guess the big majority watches it for TS4.)
Forum Resident
#72 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 7:56 PM
Update: Nope, wasn't a cheat. You can play Sims music and trivia game with your Alexa next week
https://simsvip.com/2019/01/08/maxi...nabled-devices/
Scholar
#73 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:45 PM
Quote:
Update: Nope, wasn't a cheat. You can play Sims music and trivia game with your Alexa next week
https://simsvip.com/2019/01/08/maxi...nabled-devices/

I guess Maxis decided to rip off Bethesda's idea, since they did this first with Skyrim, and the presentation Bethesda did at E3 last year to announce it was pretty damn funny.

Apparently there was quite a bit of outrage and nastiness in the chat for the stream today, because SimGuru Kate has a long thread on her Twitter about what Maxis Monthly is versus what I guess people like me thought it was supposed to be. I knew it was going to be bad right off when Emory was saying that this didn't take away from regular development. Hopefully next month's stream is better. I don't even care about upcoming pack news, really, I would have just been happy to hear we were getting a patch this week or next.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:48 PM
Will it break the game as well when it's plugged?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 11:57 PM
Well their communication strategy is falling apart, again. Perhaps they wouldn’t have these problems if they didn’t try to commit to things that everyone knew they couldn’t sustain. MM will no longer produce any info regarding future content - so what makes that series any different than the guru garage series and what reason do people have to tune in? Like the quarterly teasers these streams will get cut and replaced by something else, which will probably be even further away from what people are asking for.
Page 3 of 134