Replies: 62 (Who?), Viewed: 32155 times.
Page 3 of 3
Test Subject
#51 Old 25th Nov 2019 at 1:58 PM
I started this with a bit of a twist. The homestead act got passed right after the Louisiana purchase due to a series of strange ships holding alien refugees. Every politician wanted those strangers gone and sent them west. (I rolled for possible supernaturalness and rolled 3 aliens out of 4 settlers, so...) I modified the ethnicity roll to include 4 different kids of aliens. The host was a native of the lands, a teenage adopted daughter to a land baron who died before they wagon could get there. The land baron purchased the land enough to keep the natives where they were and included enough land to be settled by those that needed it most. When news came down about the ships the native host, Alawa, insisted those were the ones most in need. She is the tribe shaman and had prophetic dreams of them arriving.

The first wagon consisted of a North Asian man Xanadu Temur who was granted his freedom from indentured servitude if he could get the alien settlers where they needed to go. Each alien was given a new name as their true names were unrecognizable using the sim ear. Dahlia Rosemott is a teenage rainbow sim with pink skin and purple hair. Lance Gillworth is a merman with blue skin with purple scales and green hair. Yu Chen was brought in after the news of the ships and dumped on the town elders. Her father had been surveying for the railroad late one night when he was abducted, resulting in Yu Chen, who had been treated as a slave after her father died in childbirth.

I currently have three homesteads:
Temur - Xanadu married Yu Chen and they had triplets Able, Asher, and Arminda. Yu died of illness later that year.
Gillworth- Lance (A romance sim that rolled a want to marry!) married Kanaka of the native tribe. Kanaka has suffered a miscarriage but is currently pregnant. However Lance succumbed to the same illness as Yu and died last play session.
Rosemott - Dahlia fell in love with the native shaman Avanaco, but she caught him cheating with a woman from his tribe. But as a family sims she's determined to 'fix' him and decided to marry him anyway. (So we'll see what happens with that.)

The next wagon has just arrived at the host's house. It has six sims.
Dune Thunder - a native displaced from his lands further east
Panther Shiningeyes - A teenage native/Alien with kitty skin and ears who had been touched with darkness (vampire)
Salmon Pikeson - a merman
Tilda Starfield - a rainbow alien
Diedrick Mintfield - an alien with both kitty and rainbow backgrounds
Louella Freeman - A former slave that ran away and was willing to hop a ride with the alien caravan

So it's pretty full up at the host's house and tragedy has struck at every turn. (Thank you real sickness) This had been both aggravating and a whole lot of fun.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 26th Nov 2019 at 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstaron
I started this with a bit of a twist. The homestead act got passed right after the Louisiana purchase due to a series of strange ships holding alien refugees. Every politician wanted those strangers gone and sent them west. (I rolled for possible supernaturalness and rolled 3 aliens out of 4 settlers, so...) I modified the ethnicity roll to include 4 different kids of aliens. The host was a native of the lands, a teenage adopted daughter to a land baron who died before they wagon could get there. The land baron purchased the land enough to keep the natives where they were and included enough land to be settled by those that needed it most. When news came down about the ships the native host, Alawa, insisted those were the ones most in need. She is the tribe shaman and had prophetic dreams of them arriving.

The first wagon consisted of a North Asian man Xanadu Temur who was granted his freedom from indentured servitude if he could get the alien settlers where they needed to go. Each alien was given a new name as their true names were unrecognizable using the sim ear. Dahlia Rosemott is a teenage rainbow sim with pink skin and purple hair. Lance Gillworth is a merman with blue skin with purple scales and green hair. Yu Chen was brought in after the news of the ships and dumped on the town elders. Her father had been surveying for the railroad late one night when he was abducted, resulting in Yu Chen, who had been treated as a slave after her father died in childbirth.

Temur - Xanadu married Yu Chen and they had triplets Able, Asher, and Arminda. Yu died of illness later that year.
Gillworth- Lance (A romance sim that rolled a want to marry!) married Kanaka of the native tribe. Kanaka has suffered a miscarriage but is currently pregnant. However Lance succumbed to the same illness as Yu and died last play session.
Rosemott - Dahlia fell in love with the native shaman Avanaco, but she caught him cheating with a woman from his tribe. But as a family sims she's determined to 'fix' him and decided to marry him anyway. (So we'll see what happens with that.)

Panther Shiningeyes - A teenage native/Alien with kitty skin and ears who had been touched with darkness (vampire)
Louella Freeman - A former slave that ran away and was willing to hop a ride with the alien caravan

So it's pretty full up at the host's house and tragedy has struck at every turn. (Thank you real sickness) This had been both aggravating and a whole lot of fun.

It does sound cool and fun!

Lauri
Instructor
Original Poster
#53 Old 5th Dec 2019 at 7:45 AM
Quote:

Wow! Impressive. I never imagined Alien sims, but hey- that sounds pretty cool. Aliens in the Wild West really gives a new spin to that era! Sounds like you're having fun and for that I'm glad. I always get excited when I get to roll for new wagons.
Test Subject
#54 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 10:40 PM
This challenge is so fun and is driving me crazy. I have four households and three businesses and a full house at the hosts home (so delaying homestead wagon 3)

The first house (The Temurs) Has a nearly elder plantsm, (Xanadu), 2 dead wives (one from illness, and one from childbirth) three teens (triplets), and one infant. They are the wealthy family and he has a level 5 butcher shop and a level 2 furniture shop. He's built the school and they are waiting for te school teacher to show up.

The second house (Gillworth) has a child. Both parents dead, both from illnesses at different times. A native lover of the native wife passed by as she died and I forced him to move in and care for the kid (so not a real playable but I'm using him as a place holder). They have enough money to start a business but can't until shes a teen.

The third house (Rosemott) Has two adults (the witch native was saved from an illness death, and an alien refugee), and three toddlers. Avanaco (the native witch) opened an apothecary, but mainly they are trying to survive with triplets and fields of tomatoes.

The fourth house (Temurflower) is a sibling pair of plant sims.

I've got two pairings from the settlers picked out once they can get enough material and skills to make a homestead. The host house had a dream sequence that three settler died by fire but my game crashed a few minutes later so it never actually happened. (I may have to take out the more dangerous fire, die by childbirth and real sickness mods out. I feel like my population is shrinking not expanding.)

I've got a question on how people have handled crafting things/selling things. The forest has berries and trees to collect things, fishing, digging for clay and mining. All the crafting station and skill builders outside of body were at the host home. I've been trying to figure out how to make sure the settlers have what they need. Here's what I've done so far:
Crafting Crafting Stations: Using the woodworking bench or basket weaving station I'll craft how ever many tables to pay for a crafting table and trade them out so a basket weaver can bring a basket weaving station with them to the farm. The other option is to plant crafting and skill building station throughout the community lots.
Non Crafted Items For Sale: after a person has maxed the wholesale business rewards they have the connections to bring in low quality items similar to what they can craft. Mainly this is so everyone can have slightly less identical houses. I make sure to use things that look like they could have been crafted locally.
Instructor
Original Poster
#55 Old 19th Dec 2019 at 10:57 PM
Quote:

I've got a question on how people have handled crafting things/selling things. The forest has berries and trees to collect things, fishing, digging for clay and mining. All the crafting station and skill builders outside of body were at the host home. I've been trying to figure out how to make sure the settlers have what they need.

When you roll for what they have starting out in their inventory, you can include something that they will need to make their fortunes. For instance, say on the next Wagon you have a person that you wish to be a blacksmith. Add the blacksmith crafting station to their inventory, and they can use it when they get their own homestead. You can put as many crafting stations on your host's lot as you like, but they need to stay there so that all the wagons can use them. As mayor, the host has special access to items not created in the town, so they can access new items.

I would suggest that you NOT delay the new wagon, and instead add beds to your host's lot. You can expand the lot with a few extra bedrooms if your host can afford it. That's what I did when I needed to, as the new wagons should not be delayed, they have too much work to do!
Forum Resident
#56 Old 26th Dec 2019 at 7:00 AM
I've merged this with a BACC challenge played on modified rules like only the largest lot sizes allowed for residnetial lots for at least the first few couples and a dozen households unlocks having an apartment zoned lot or building small starters on tiny lots for wagons arriving with their couples in the fall.My host home would be a B&B apartment where sims board in rented rooms to start with on arrival.
Instructor
Original Poster
#57 Old 27th Dec 2019 at 9:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadOlson
I've merged this with a BACC challenge played on modified rules like only the largest lot sizes allowed for residnetial lots for at least the first few couples and a dozen households unlocks having an apartment zoned lot or building small starters on tiny lots for wagons arriving with their couples in the fall.My host home would be a B&B apartment where sims board in rented rooms to start with on arrival.

You've got apartments in the wild west? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a homestead? Well, I guess it's your game and you're certainly free to do with it what you will, but the whole point of my challenge is farms and homesteads, like people in the 19th century America and Canada had. I do like the B&B idea though, that's kind of interesting.
Forum Resident
#58 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 9:14 AM
They did add rooming houses once they had a small town with about a dozen families though it was only short term for couples arriving in the fall since they would never get a house built in time for winter and I won't allow full time jobs though part time ones are another story since they might not have gotten the land cleared for farming though.I also had it that wagons come only in spring or summer and only have married couples at first with special ones containing singles later on.I also made it a ful that in the start you can only use the largest or smallest lot sizes for residential homes though the small lots are just starter homes for sims arring in the fall.Household furnishings can only bought in the spring,summer or fall as the wagon trails would get snowed up in the winter.
Test Subject
#59 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 11:54 PM
I've been meaning to so a challenge like this for about 10 years!! Finally getting round to it now I've been furloughed fro m work I'm currently going through all the instructions and trying to track down all the the mods and objects I need (I've also found a few new things whilst poking about!).

The trickiest thing was finding the packing station as Sim Wardrobe is no longer in being - tracked it down to here: https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...imwardrobe.com/ --> Sims 2 (side bar)-->Objects-->The Sims 2 Objects (the images on the buttons are broken) and then both packing stations are in there.

Currently pondering whether to go with no NPC's but I guess ignoring them will work too!

I'll keep you updated, may be streaming it as well, but will definitely record - full shoutouts and credit will be given to everyone I've got stuff from!
Field Researcher
#60 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 6:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTroker
The trickiest thing was finding the packing station as Sim Wardrobe is no longer in being - tracked it down to here: https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...imwardrobe.com/ --> Sims 2 (side bar)-->Objects-->The Sims 2 Objects (the images on the buttons are broken) and then both packing stations are in there.
Just for future reference, all of Sim Wardrobe's content has been archived over at https://simfileshare.net/folder/87829/.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!

Quote:
"A biting contest turned into a tug o' war! And I'm the chew toy!"
-- from "S*** My Players Say"
Forum Resident
#61 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 5:09 PM
I've got a second couple living in Dodge and that game is still in the homesteading stage though some construction is starting on the boarding house and on a smaller home for a couple not looking to farm who wants to run a laundry or be crafters instead.Both couples have built basic shelters though the Jankowskys had problems with their oginal house and had to rebuild it because it was in the wrong place and wasn't built with exapnsion in mind.
Test Subject
#62 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 9:45 AM Last edited by Yvi-sama : 10th Apr 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Things is great, thank you so much!

I'm still in the planning stage but really excited. I will combine it with the health points system from the Warwickshire Challenge for a more realistic mortality rate -> a good reason to get that Doc moving in asap ;-)

Just one quick question:
If my sims start with the Basic Homestead, are they still allowed to have farm-animals (the ones they brought with them)? Are they allowed to add more rooms?

Edit:
1. When I roll 5 accompanying animals for the wagon, do they count as extra luggage or do I have to give them as items to the settlers?
2. Did I understand right that a couple can combine skill points? As in the two only need one bronce Gardening badge total for a basic homestead?
3. If a sim brings along a crafting table, is he allowed to sell the crafted items in addition to the farming goods?
Forum Resident
#63 Old 12th Apr 2020 at 5:50 AM
My version restricted placing any lot size smaller than the largest to only community lots or the hosting lot aka apartment zoned boarding house that gets placed after the first few couples arrived.I'm playing with the rules that couples move into a basic homestead lot and have just the basics before they start building their own house.
I've been busy adding more Mods and hacks to make things more relaistic for homesteaders as not everybody would have running water.
Page 3 of 3