Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[Outdated] Blender GEOM Tools v1.10 (Blender 2.8x-2.9x)

by SmugTomato Posted 27th May 2019 at 9:09 PM - Updated 23rd Dec 2021 at 3:09 PM by SmugTomato : Link to v2.0 testing thread

21 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 13 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:10 AM
thank you
Theorist
THANKS POST
#3 Old 28th May 2019 at 7:29 AM
Ugh. Can't say it's by time. I was searched for this many many years ago when TS3 beginned. Adele was searched it too. Later better then never they say.
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th May 2019 at 12:22 PM
Thanks! Finally something that works, at least for importing and editing, I have an error when exporting (body mesh) though.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "*\addons\io_simgeom\io\geom_export.py", line 81, in execute
depsgraph = context.depsgraph
AttributeError: 'Context' object has no attribute 'depsgraph'
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th May 2019 at 2:56 PM Last edited by SmugTomato : 30th May 2019 at 4:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Prominet
Thanks! Finally something that works, at least for importing and editing, I have an error when exporting (body mesh) though.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "*\addons\io_simgeom\io\geom_export.py", line 81, in execute
depsgraph = context.depsgraph
AttributeError: 'Context' object has no attribute 'depsgraph'

Hey, thanks for letting me know. Could you please send me a PM with the blend file and any further info so I can investigate the issue?

Edit
The issue has been resolved in version 1.01
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 1:30 AM Last edited by persongirl : 22nd Jul 2019 at 6:38 AM.
Thank you so much SmugTomato!! I just started sims modding to try to do personal conversion projects and I had plugins spread across a billion blender versions! This at least helps me cut back on blender versions I have installed. I'll let you know how it works! Now if only I knew python and could update other plug-ins.....
EDIT: Imported a ts3 GEOM to help me align a conversion and it looks like the mesh is appearing as it should and the bones are showing up as vertex groups! thank you so much again SmugTomato!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:34 AM
Oh this would be so helpful. You've done amazing work.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#8 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 9:15 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 7th Dec 2019 at 11:30 PM.
Hi @SmugTomato !

I was actually wondering if you'd checked this out with pets meshes . Personally I'm working on a cat head replacement mod and I noticed that Blender doesn't like pet bones. Or well, the script rather. I know that the script wasn't made with pets in mind, but I figured I'd report it anyway

So, what happens, is that it either says that the weight's array is "out of index", or it says "context doesn't have attribute". I tested this on both my mesh and exporting it and even just importing EA's cat head mesh and exporting that without modifications and both give similar bone errors.

If you like, I could make a thread in the forum or PM you, that might make things easier

EDIT: From some debugging, it seems that the array is not liking the fact that there are 4 elements rather than 3 being exported into the weights[j] array. Not sure if it's a pet thing, but that's where it goes wrong.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 12th Mar 2020 at 9:40 PM
This one really works! Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#10 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 9:55 AM
I am new to this, do I need the Rig Importer, too? And if, which of the both zip files? Even I didn´t try it out, thank you very much for your hard work. People like you needs TS3.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snowcat
I am new to this, do I need the Rig Importer, too? And if, which of the both zip files? Even I didn´t try it out, thank you very much for your hard work. People like you needs TS3.

There's a rig importer included in the add-on, no need for any separate downloads.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Jan 2021 at 3:34 AM Last edited by Slamyy : 18th Jan 2021 at 12:34 AM.
Can't thank you enough! This is invaluable
I don't know if it's just me but normals gets messed up during import/export. A mesh with perfect seams get normal issues around the seams. This is actually easily fixable with data transfer modifier but since it gets messed up during export too I have to fix it in Milkshape. It's not that hard either but with more complex meshes it can get really tedious.
In case it is helpful, did an experiment: I've tried importing a geom in Milkshape and exporting it as obj. When that obj is imported to blender it has no seam issues.

EDIT: Ah, one more thing @SmugTomato , would it be possible to import meshes that has vertex IDs out of regular range? Right now importing them gives "list index out of range" error, they appear but their data gets broken.
EDIT 2: Actually exporting seems fine now, but still have the same import problems.
EDIT 3: Problem in the first edit actually seems to be caused by smt else but idk what.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 3:02 AM
Me again with another issue I get an error related to weights during export. Can't figure out why.

geom_export.py, line 94
weights[j] = g.weight
IndexError: list assignment index out of range
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 10:35 PM
@Slamyy
Sorry for the late reply! I hope you managed to figure it out.

The seams you're seeing should be normal behaviour, since Blender insists on recalculating normals I opted for the easy solution and just let it happen.
On export all seams that are not marked as sharp will have their normals set to the same value, so it should look right in-game.

Regarding the error, have you made sure there are no more than 4 assignments for each vertex? There's a tool in Blender that will let you limit vertex group assignments to a number you give it.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 6:10 PM
Thanks @SmugTomato I didn't know about that. It exported after limiting. And normals export fine as you said, just gotta deal with them after importing
Test Subject
#16 Old 14th Apr 2021 at 9:38 PM
Hey, I'm experiencing a problem with this addon, because when I try to export a custom made mesh I keep getting NoneType errors. Specifically, this error happened when I tried to export a custom made mesh that I had merged with an imported .simsgeom
This likely does have nothing to do with the plugin itself and more with my usage since I've really only just started with 3D modeling.
I have tried to find solutions for this online but I find it really hard to find solutions for this problem.
Test Subject
#17 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 8:16 PM
Came across an error while trying to export, here's the log:
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.92\2.92\scripts\addons\io_simgeom\io\geom_export.py", line 209, in execute
for x in ob['shaderdata']:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

I'm not sure if it's an error coming from me or if it's a bug...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 8:49 AM
Looks to me like you're missing data that should exist in any GEOM file, try copying the GEOM data from the freshly imported GEOM you've cloned from back to your new mesh.
You can do this easily with the latest version by selecting the original and the edited/new mesh, make sure your new mesh is the active object, then press 'Transfer GEOM data.'
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#19 Old 29th Apr 2021 at 8:04 AM
thanks
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th May 2021 at 3:16 PM
Thanks for updating these tools, they are really helpful. I'm not sure why, but I get this error when I try to activate the plugin in Blender 2.92:
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th May 2021 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simlicious
Thanks for updating these tools, they are really helpful. I'm not sure why, but I get this error when I try to activate the plugin in Blender 2.92:

That's weird, does it still happen after restarting Blender? If it persists, uninstalling the add-on, restarting blender and reinstalling it might work.
I'm also currently working on a major update that uses Blender's custom normals for proper normal support, if you're interested in testing it.
It changes the workflow quite a bit since I was no longer able to use shape keys for morphs, but it should eliminate the need for having to still use Milkshape or other external tools for fixing the normals.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=5739454
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#22 Old 11th May 2021 at 3:48 PM
Reinstalling Blender solved the problem (sorry, I should have tried this before posting!), now everything works

Your beta version sounds really intriguing, I'm going to try it out