Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 4:16 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Crashing on into the future
Hi there,
I've been playing the Sims 3 for quite some time. But for some reason, traveling into the future is not working. It'll load for about 5 minutes and then crash. I don't understand. Everything else is working just fine. I disabled one drive, deleted all the caches, deleted the original game and changed the back up so it became the new save, and still nothing. Can I please get some help?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 4:51 AM
Addition: I tried to take another sim in the future that wasn't in the family I originally tried with. That worked. So is the issue with the original family?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Seems like it. You can give the family a reset in NRAAS MC and try again.

Hi, I figured out how to reset the sims and the family, but it didn't work, the sim is still crashing. Is there another option?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 7:16 AM
It can be a variety of things.

I'm guessing it is because of the family tree since this is your primary household which you've played. This explains why a brand new household you haven't played could travel back.

1st, are you using NRAAS traveler? If not, you should use that instead as it fixes a lot of the traveling errors. Otherwise, you can try traveling there first with the working household, then return back to your homeworld, and then travel again with your primary household. What this does is it uses the clean household to clear up any previous traveling errors in the travel db cache.

Alternatively, you can delete the traveldb cache in the save before you load the game (make sure you backup.) Delete both the traveldb and the homeworld export file.

If that still doesn't work, you may have to break the family tree by saving the household into the household bin and then replanting them in the game.

Hi, I tried option 3 and option 1. Basically, it let the future travel load until about 75% and then crashed again. I'm trying option 2 right now. Thank you for the advice.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 7:38 AM
It can be a variety of things.

I'm guessing it is because of the family tree since this is your primary household which you've played. This explains why a brand new household you haven't played could travel back.

1st, are you using NRAAS traveler? If not, you should use that instead as it fixes a lot of the traveling errors. Otherwise, you can try traveling there first with the working household, then return back to your homeworld, and then travel again with your primary household. What this does is it uses the clean household to clear up any previous traveling errors in the travel db cache.

Alternatively, you can delete the traveldb cache in the save before you load the game (make sure you backup.) Delete both the traveldb and the homeworld export file.

If that still doesn't work, you may have to break the family tree by saving the household into the household bin and then replanting them in the game.

Okay, so number 2 worked (deleting travelbd and homeworld), alongside moving the family out and back in. Also, I did go to an earlier safe. However, when I reached the future and I try to save, I get "an unexpected error occurred while saving: error code 12." What can I do about that?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:15 AM
that's kinda odd.

Once you reach the future, pause the game and go to edit town. Try to save. If it can't save with error 12, go back into live mode and use NRAAS MC to reset the whole town. Then go back into edit mode and try to save again.

How do I reset the whole town?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:46 AM
that's kinda odd.

Once you reach the future, pause the game and go to edit town. Try to save. If it can't save with error 12, go back into live mode and use NRAAS MC to reset the whole town. Then go back into edit mode and try to save again.

Okay, figured it out. Unfortunately it still didn't work and I'm still having error code 12. Oh sims, why are you doing this to me?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:05 PM
Try this:

https://www.modthesims.info/showthr...754#post5540754

Unfortunately it didn't work either. Should I just set it to factory restart and play all over again?
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:22 PM
Are you certain your game is Large Address Aware? I know EA made it so with a patch at some point, but if you're playing at an older patch level, you might not have that. If the game isn't LAA, you'll hit a Code 12 earlier because the game can't access more than 2GB of RAM.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Are you certain your game is Large Address Aware? I know EA made it so with a patch at some point, but if you're playing at an older patch level, you might not have that. If the game isn't LAA, you'll hit a Code 12 earlier because the game can't access more than 2GB of RAM.

The patch I have right now is 1.69. I have 16.0GB of RAM, and when I have the Sims running, looking at resource monitor/memory, it says that the sims is using around 6423 MB.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iciloo12
The patch I have right now is 1.69. I have 16.0GB of RAM, and when I have the Sims running, looking at resource monitor/memory, it says that the sims is using around 6423 MB.

I also want to add that Error 12 occurs ONLY in Oasis Landing when saving. When I save in other towns, it's fine.
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 9:06 PM
Well, your game is definitely LAA then.

But...just the game is using 6.4GB of RAM??? Even LAA, I don't think it can use more than 4GB because it's a 32-bit game and I'm pretty sure I read that it'll Code 12 on saving when it uses ~3.5GB. So...something's not right, there.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 7:45 AM Last edited by iciloo12 : 4th Jul 2019 at 8:58 AM.
can you take a screenshot of the ram usage? It is not suppose to use more than 3.7GB

I actually managed to fix it. Which is weird, because all I did was run delphy custard sims 3 cleaner. So I guess that fixed it. I've been trying to test it out with other worlds too, such as traveling to Les Champs, France, but now it's crashing before I can get there too.

EDIT: Same issue is happening in France. I fixed it in Oasis Landing but now it's happening in another world. Ugh. https://gyazo.com/e2cb92def14b47724f7b79650b3b386c is what the resource manager says about the Sims.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 5:49 PM Last edited by igazor : 4th Jul 2019 at 6:05 PM.
That's an interesting snapshot but your system is using over 7 GB of RAM overall, not the game. TS3 is using or at least trying to reserve about 3.0 GB at that point. You are also trying to play TS3 and TSM (Medieval) at the same time or perhaps TSM hasn't quit fully after a prior session? I would suggest limiting further testing to sessions where Chrome, Torrents, and other games and unnecessary programs are not running and using up your system's resources. You also have something called ModConflictDetector running, which I believe is/was for TS4. Is this necessary?

In addition, have you tried the NRaas Traveler mod suggestion yet? Got a bit lost on this thread I'm afraid, but am not seeing where that one has been deployed. In addition to the mod, the trick is to never allow the game's (not your system's) RAM usage to spike above the 3.5 GB or so danger zone during a travel transition however that can be arranged.

By the way, I'm not seeing 16 GB of RAM there. I see only 8 GB total and most of it is spoken for at that point in that session so the game is not likely to be getting more RAM when it requests it and that right there can lead to crashes or Error12s. Are you certain you have twice that installed and does it show up elsewhere such as in Task Manager?
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 5:54 PM Last edited by iCad : 4th Jul 2019 at 6:41 PM.
I could be wrong because I'm by NO means an expert on this kind of thing, but I'm going to guess that your problem is that your RAM is 90% in use and that you only have 690MB available. I've observed that RAM usage goes up during the process of transitioning between worlds -- that's a little before, during, and for a short time after arrival -- and I'm going to bet that doing so is pushing your system past its limit, since it's close to maxed out, and something has to give.

Perhaps try freeing up RAM by closing programs and unneeded background processes before traveling to a different world? Then, if successful and once you're settled in the new place, you can try loading up those other programs again if you need to run them and see if the game will still run.

ETA: Mostly ninja'd by igazor, damn him.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
That's an interesting snapshot but your system is using over 7 GB of RAM overall, not the game. TS3 is using or at least trying to reserve about 3.0 GB at that point. You are also trying to play TS3 and TSM (Medieval) at the same time or perhaps TSM hasn't quit fully after a prior session? I would suggest limiting further testing to sessions where Chrome, Torrents, and other games and unnecessary programs are not running and using up your system's resources. You also have something called ModConflictDetector running, which I believe is/was for TS4. Is this necessary?

In addition, have you tried the NRaas Traveler mod suggestion yet? Got a bit lost on this thread I'm afraid, but am not seeing where that one has been deployed. In addition to the mod, the trick is to never allow the game's (not your system's) RAM usage to spike above the 3.5 GB or so danger zone during a travel transition however that can be arranged.

By the way, I'm not seeing 16 GB of RAM there. I see only 8 GB total and most of it is spoken for at that point in that session so the game is not likely to be getting more RAM when it requests it and that right there can lead to crashes or Error12s. Are you certain you have twice that installed and does it show up elsewhere such as in Task Manager?

Yeah, I was running TSM to see if that would work, I forgot to close out. And yes, I've installed the Nraas traveler mod. I'm super sorry, I'm really ignorant when it comes to computer stuff, but here's a screenshot of task manager when i'ts on performance: https://gyazo.com/31fa4f69ae163d54604f9f763f43697a. Yeah, modconflictdetector wasn't necessary, I ran it while I was having some issues with TS4 as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 8:37 PM
Right when you think you've seen it all....

Why the hell are you running TS3 and TSM at the same time?!

Answering previous questions, yes, when your RAM is within 1GB of the cap, it starts to swap virtual RAM and that causes error 12. This is also explained in the link I provided.

Also, what is that "memory compression" thing? That just doesn't look right to me.

Sorry about that! I was testing something out for TSM while TS3 was in world view. I'm not sure what memory compression is, I'm sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I could be wrong because I'm by NO means an expert on this kind of thing, but I'm going to guess that your problem is that your RAM is 90% in use and that you only have 690MB available. I've observed that RAM usage goes up during the process of transitioning between worlds -- that's a little before, during, and for a short time after arrival -- and I'm going to bet that doing so is pushing your system past its limit, since it's close to maxed out, and something has to give.

Perhaps try freeing up RAM by closing programs and unneeded background processes before traveling to a different world? Then, if successful and once you're settled in the new place, you can try loading up those other programs again if you need to run them and see if the game will still run.

ETA: Mostly ninja'd by igazor, damn him.

Okay, I'll try that!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 2:04 AM Last edited by igazor : 5th Jul 2019 at 3:55 PM.
Also, what is that "memory compression" thing? That just doesn't look right to me.

Memory Compression is a Win 10 feature that is an alternative to paging. The macOS and other operating systems use it also. MS decided to suppress displaying the process in Task Manager to help avoid confusion, but I don't think that strategy is working very well as it clearly shows up elsewhere. Not seeing that entry as part of the current problem.
Page 1 of 2