Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 733 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 1:05 AM
Default WCIF Townie tenant token fix
Hi all!

I just rant into an issue with an apartment building; despite having lots of townies, the game was only able to fill 2 of 3 empty apartments, resorting to creating a new sim for the last open spot.
I vaguely remember reading something about the game not being able to rescind its "this townie already lives in an apartment" tokens, thus only ever letting townies move in once, which seems to be what's happening here, but now I can't find whatever it was I once read about it. Do you know of a fix?

Further info that may or may not be relevant:
I had replaced an apartment lot with a new updated version, so I know for sure that there were previous apartment dwellers who should have gone back into the potential tenant pool.
I only have a few apartment buildings, but I have reloaded a lot when annoying townies claimed apartments, so maybe that added tokens to them too.
I've made all my townies myself, and lots of downtownies and social group sims too.
I have a mod that allows both townies and downtownies to move in as apartment neighbors.
I have anti-redundancy mods so the game would only create new sims if it really thought it had to.

Thank you very much for your help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 7:13 AM
Have you used the batbox to fix stuck Apartments?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 9:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
Have you used the batbox to fix stuck Apartments?

That's not what that does. I don't even have the option on the batbox because it's not relevant here, it's for fixing apartments that remain occupied, not for fixing townies, unfortunately.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 11:40 AM
Still looking for this in case anyone has suggestions! Thank you.
Site Helper
#5 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 5:53 PM
Hi @blockparty ,

From your posts to this point, perhaps you've noticed that we're a group who's quick to answer, because we are! At least, whenever we have some useful information about the issue asked after. So please be patient instead of bumping.

Also, note that our Site Rules officially ask that no one bump threads, particularly their own. You can review those here. FYI, what typically happens is that thread-bumping posts just get deleted, sometimes with a warning given.

In the case of your question, it isn't one that's been asked much, so that makes it even more likely that folks currently playing/reading have not noticed or encountered the issue. There again, although you may not get much or any answer, it doesn't mean we're ignoring you---just that we are unlikely to post only to say, "That's nothing I know anything about."

Still, good luck!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 6:13 PM
Use Fix -> Bad Apartment Residencies on the Batbox. It will revoke apartment keys (tokens) of any townie not currently in an actual apartment. This should return them to being available in the townie tenant pool. Be aware, though, that this can also muck up any townie roommates you might have. I had to do this myself for a similar reason. I had a sim move into an apartment, but later decided to bulldoze the lot after they moved out. It successfully cleared out all the tokens from the townies that had been their neighbors.
Site Helper
#7 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 6:19 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 7th Aug 2019 at 8:09 PM.
So we're saying that option, which the OP says won't work to fix that, actually should?

Here's MATY's gigantic thread about the batbox, if anyone wants to go through it and see if Pescado said something either way...
-----
ETA: My game perpetually gives me the option to Fix>Bad Apartment Residencies. Even in my current game where it's been clicked already since the last hh moved out of an apartment several seasons ago---not just clicked while playing that family but while playing others as well. So I just thought it was always there.

---
Edited once again to add:

Devon (and Charity before him) are right, per Pescado himself. See Pescado's reply (post #1059) on this page of that MATY thread. He's also clarifying there that indeed, the option is always available.

So hopefully that solves your issue, blockparty.

I'll drop k6ka (admin over at the off-site wiki) a line in case he wants to reword that part of their description of the batbox functions. I can see how its wording now would make it sound like it doesn't solve that problem. (Would have just tagged him here but tagging doesn't work when added into a post via editing it.)

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 8:16 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 7th Aug 2019 at 8:30 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natboopsie
So we're saying that option, which the OP says won't work to fix that, actually should?

The OP never said it didn't work. They said they never tried it because they thought it fixed a different problem than the one they have.

I beat up Google and it gave me this post by Pescado that explains what Fix > "Bad Apartment Residencies" actually does.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic=72.1055;wap2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescado
It will fix all the cases of "Bad Residency", such as townies living in apartments which have been deleted, etc., which would prevent them from occupying a new apartment, causing MOAR of them to spawn to populate apartments. As it is a highly computationally-intensive procedure to even detect the condition, the option is thus always present and cannot run as an "instant, although usually, nothing is found and you get "0 items fixed".

This sounds like it should fix the OP's problem. They should at least try it and see whether it does anything. As Pescado says, the option is always there. It's under the "Fix..." menu.

Edit: Added a screenshot of some typical results from fixing bad residencies. The top two are playables that were incorrectly set as NPC residents. The other three were townies that had been apartment residents, but were moved out for some reason (I think playables were moved into their apartments, thus kicking the townies out).
Screenshots
Site Helper
#9 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 8:22 PM
Lol, RoxEllen...pitfalls of my editing instead of double-posting...you owe me a beer. But thank you for doing the work too; it's good to see we saw the same thing.

I think we'll just have to let the OP decide what they were saying or not saying, though. Hopefully they do see the option now though!

(And Devon, I was trying to just be factual in terms of where we were going with things---so if I came off as testy with you, I apologize! There was none of that in my intent.)

Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 8:32 PM
Ninja'd again! I guess I just take too long to write my posts.
Site Helper
#11 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 8:34 PM
Eh, you do screenshots. I don't do screenshots. And like I said...I for one appreciate the double-check!

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 12:58 AM
I got the PM regarding this thread. I'd like to remind everyone that anyone can just click the "Edit" button to edit the wiki if they see any issues (editing is not locked down to admins only).

Anyways, the very page on The Sims Wiki actually cites that MATY thread as a reference.

I wrote that section waaay back in 2014 (five years ago now) and I probably misunderstood what Pescado was trying to say in that thread. I had cited that thread right from the very beginning so I've seen it before. I haven't touched that section since I first wrote it in 2014, so it was probably due for an update. I've gone ahead and made the changes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; this thread has been very helpful and I've cited it for future reference.