Replies: 129 (Who?), Viewed: 27720 times.
Page 2 of 6
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 5:45 AM Last edited by crazysim : 22nd Sep 2019 at 5:46 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_air
Okay, so I loaded up the game with that value and nothing changed. I noticed too that it was a bit more stuttery in my hood, more than it normally is (my game is really quite smooth). I still had the pink flashing, and then the flashing in the hood. I tried messing around with the Pineapple mod in the user startup config file, which is needed for the mod to work. Turns out that there is something in there that is causing the pink flashing, but it's not the actual mod itself..... or at least when I take the user startup file out of my game, the mod by itself doesn't cause the pink flashing. I have tried editing that file and messing around with it, but I actually don't know very well how that file works, so it's just trial and error. If you have any imput into this matter, than I would *really* appreciate your insight, as you obviously know a lot more about graphics than I do.
I actually don't play with that mod turned on all the time, just when I'm taking pictures of my game for my blog. It makes the game really beautiful to look at, especially when paired with gunmod's radiance lighting system. Do you know of any other graphical mods that offer post processing to sims 2? I heard someone mention once about using a reshade, but I don't have a lot of details about it, and I didn't like the particular reshade that person had choosen.

In the meantime I will be continuing to back up my files for a Windows 7 install. A lot of people have told me that I won't regret switching back, and I kind of agree with them. I never had any issues with Windows 7 before.



Mhmm, ok. In the meantime, could you also attach a copy of your last Sims2ep9_d3d9 log file during the session with the purple soup? They are very insightful into what might have happened.
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 12:30 PM
Hello!

Back in early 2018 I bought my new laptop with Nvidia GTX 1060 with max q design graphics card with so much -naive- hope that I'd be able to play The Sims 2 in the best way possible. As you all know, it doesn't work that way I tried everything to fix the pink flashing soup and the crash problems but none helped, to the point that I had to get an older computer on the side to be able to play my game. But now this D9VK possibility seems hopeful! So I immediately gave it a try from the instructions in the docs file. The game doesn't boot, here are specifics;

-I use it with Origin, the Ultimate Collection.
-Attached are the two files generated in the EXE folder in SP9/TSBin
-Also the dxvk.conf file that I put there with the recommendations I saw.
-I run on the latest drivers of my Nvidia GTX 1060 with max q design graphics card
-I'm on Windows 10 64 bit
-On the graphics rules maker I forced the texture memory to 1024 mb.

My DxDiag
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/22/2019, 13:21:04
Machine name: LAPTOP-RP7UKD1I
Machine Id: {F166DAAF-B340-4AFF-9C00-23D71CFC7C64}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx
BIOS: F.05 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16342MB RAM
Page File: 7642MB used, 23700MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 192 DPI (200 percent)
System DPI Setting: 240 DPI (250 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

------------

Anyone got any ideas why it might not be working?
Thanks to everyone who's still trying to fix this problem. TS2 has such an amazing community. I hope soon we can come up with a solution to this problem that makes it impossible to play our game in newer machines.

Cheers!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Sims2EP9_d3d9.rar (842 Bytes, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 3:47 PM Last edited by crazysim : 22nd Sep 2019 at 5:15 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
Hello!

Back in early 2018 I bought my new laptop with Nvidia GTX 1060 with max q design graphics card with so much -naive- hope that I'd be able to play The Sims 2 in the best way possible. As you all know, it doesn't work that way I tried everything to fix the pink flashing soup and the crash problems but none helped, to the point that I had to get an older computer on the side to be able to play my game. But now this D9VK possibility seems hopeful! So I immediately gave it a try from the instructions in the docs file. The game doesn't boot, here are specifics;


The log seems scanty. Like super scanty.

Code:
info:  Game: Sims2EP9.exe
info:  DXVK: v1.4
info:  Found config file: dxvk.conf
info:  Found built-in config:
info:  Effective configuration:
info:    d3d9.customVendorId = 10de
info:    d3d9.maxAvailableMemory = 1435973836
info:    d3d9.presentInterval = 0
info:    d3d9.swvpBoolCount = 16
info:    d3d9.swvpIntCount = 16
info:    d3d9.swvpFloatCount = 384
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module


and that's it

Is Vulkan working? Could you run the test EXE at https://github.com/skeeto/vulkan-test?

Also, what version of the Nvidia drivers are you using? Are you using Game Ready drivers or just the ones that came from the manufacturer?
Test Subject
#29 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 5:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
The log seems scanty. Like super scanty.

Code:
info:  Game: Sims2EP9.exe
info:  DXVK: v1.4
info:  Found config file: dxvk.conf
info:  Found built-in config:
info:  Effective configuration:
info:    d3d9.customVendorId = 10de
info:    d3d9.maxAvailableMemory = 1435973836
info:    d3d9.presentInterval = 0
info:    d3d9.swvpBoolCount = 16
info:    d3d9.swvpIntCount = 16
info:    d3d9.swvpFloatCount = 384
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module


and that's it

Is Vulkan working? Could you run the test EXE at https://github.com/skeeto/vulkan-test?

Also, what version of the Nvidia drivers are you using? Are you using Game Ready drivers or just the ones that came from the manufacturer?


Yes, Vulkan works! It says "Successfully created a Vulkan instance"
I have GeForce Game Ready Driver version 436.30, which shows as the latest version at the moment!
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
Original Poster
22nd Sep 2019 at 5:41 PM
This message has been deleted by crazysim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 5:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
Yes, Vulkan works! It says "Successfully created a Vulkan instance"
I have GeForce Game Ready Driver version 436.30, which shows as the latest version at the moment!


Hmm weird. Here are some thoughts.

Does the D3D9 log really end after line 12? Is it possible you copied it in the middle of the libraries writing it?

Could you make sure there's no compatibility mode enabled on The Sims 2's exe?

Could you install the Vulkan Runtime itself and reboot and try again? Maybe it's possible that the Vulkan stuff from the drivers might be messed up somehow and can't initialize, hence stopping after line 12.
Instructor
#31 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 6:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Mhmm, ok. In the meantime, could you also attach a copy of your last Sims2ep9_d3d9 log file during the session with the purple soup? They are very insightful into what might have happened.


Okay, here you go.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip Sims2EP9_d3d9-2.zip (1.9 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 6:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_air
Okay, here you go.


Thank you. I've put notes about your experience in the "Failure Cardboard Box (in some basement)" section of the doc which is right below the trophy case.
Instructor
#33 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 7:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Thank you. I've put notes about your experience in the "Failure Cardboard Box (in some basement)" section of the doc which is right below the trophy case.


Well, I guess that's that then.
Test Subject
#34 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 7:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Hmm weird. Here are some thoughts.

Does the D3D9 log really end after line 12? Is it possible you copied it in the middle of the libraries writing it?

Could you make sure there's no compatibility mode enabled on The Sims 2's exe?

Could you install the Vulkan Runtime itself and reboot and try again? Maybe it's possible that the Vulkan stuff from the drivers might be messed up somehow and can't initialize, hence stopping after line 12.



Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
I was just testing with an unmodded game and snow on the ground made it all pink flashing soup. Then I read your suggestions here;
It was on Windows 8 compatibility mode, so I disabled the compatibility.
I reinstalled the Vulkan Runtime from https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#windows
After that, the game actually did boot up this time, it only generated the Sims2EP9_d3d9 file, and the pink flashing soup was gone from the save!

Now I wonder if this means it actually worked, or if my reboot of the game freed some texture memory for the snow to stay white and textured for the time being.
I will play a little longer to see if the texture memory seems to be filled up again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 7:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_air
Well, I guess that's that then.


If the more hardcore D9VK enthusiast/hobbyist who reads that guide has any ideas, I'll be sure to mention you and let you know. No guarantees though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 8:05 PM Last edited by crazysim : 22nd Sep 2019 at 8:20 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
I was just testing with an unmodded game and snow on the ground made it all pink flashing soup. Then I read your suggestions here;
It was on Windows 8 compatibility mode, so I disabled the compatibility.
I reinstalled the Vulkan Runtime from https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#windows
After that, the game actually did boot up this time, it only generated the Sims2EP9_d3d9 file, and the pink flashing soup was gone from the save!

Now I wonder if this means it actually worked, or if my reboot of the game freed some texture memory for the snow to stay white and textured for the time being.
I will play a little longer to see if the texture memory seems to be filled up again.



, in the meantime I've added a warning to the instructions to make sure compatibility mode is disabled. I wish you tried with just disabling compatibility mode first and seeing if that worked without having to go out and get the Vulkan runtime to establish causality. It's a good idea to make sure that is disabled anyway. Oh well. Looking forward to the report.
Test Subject
#37 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
, in the meantime I've added a warning to the instructions to make sure compatibility mode is disabled. I wish you tried with just disabling compatibility mode first and seeing if that worked without having to go out and get the Vulkan runtime to establish causality. It's a good idea to make sure that is disabled anyway. Oh well. Looking forward to the report.


The game performs much much better now. It only crashed or showed pink flashes in understandable circumstances (When I installed my heavily modded game and some of my heaviest CC filled lots, of course they eat up a lot of texture memory, I'd have the same problem back on my old computers too.)
Thanks a lot for your help! I'm happy that finally something actually does help eliminate the pink flashing problem!

My only issue now is that the smooth edges setting won't work. It's not grayed out; I know it's a common Ultimate Collection problem and I made it available through graphics rules document; but even when I put smooth edges to "more", nothing changes. The edges don't change at all, still rigid. I wonder if it has something to do with this solution or not. I will keep searching for a fix for that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
The game performs much much better now. It only crashed or showed pink flashes in understandable circumstances (When I installed my heavily modded game and some of my heaviest CC filled lots, of course they eat up a lot of texture memory, I'd have the same problem back on my old computers too.)
Thanks a lot for your help! I'm happy that finally something actually does help eliminate the pink flashing problem!

My only issue now is that the smooth edges setting won't work. It's not grayed out; I know it's a common Ultimate Collection problem and I made it available through graphics rules document; but even when I put smooth edges to "more", nothing changes. The edges don't change at all, still rigid. I wonder if it has something to do with this solution or not. I will keep searching for a fix for that.


Maybe the graphics card driver is forcing something there for AA and not letting the app control it or something. Check the graphics card driver settings and make sure there aren't overrides. Also, could you post your D3D9 log file anyway?
Test Subject
#39 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Maybe the graphics card driver is forcing something there for AA and not letting the app control it or something. Check the graphics card driver settings and make sure there aren't overrides. Also, could you post your D3D9 log file anyway?


I tried with the AA settings of my graphics card but it didn't solve the issue. I will research more on it; I have the feeling that it might be about some graphics rules file problem.

I attached the D3D9 file here.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Sims2EP9_d3d9.rar (2.2 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 3:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
I tried with the AA settings of my graphics card but it didn't solve the issue. I will research more on it; I have the feeling that it might be about some graphics rules file problem.

I attached the D3D9 file here.


Can you attach your graphics rules file here too?
Test Subject
#41 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 6:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Can you attach your graphics rules file here too?


Attached!

So far I haven't managed to fix the AA problem. I changed all "uintProp antialiasingSupport" values to 3 but that didn't help.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Config.rar (11.2 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 3:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_air
Well, I guess that's that then.


Do you have a userstartup.cheat file? Could you upload that as-is? I still don't have an idea but I would like to collect that info.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#43 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 3:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineNualla
DX9 is kinda mysterious beast, there was never released proper and complete documentation- it's quite possible that MS itself just got lost in these numerous versions along the way. Also: DX9 never was, and sadly: rather never will be, among others for described reason, full implementation of DX9 in the wine API reconstruction.
Also: bear in mind that wine is still not officially in full release state (4.1 is 'stable' but it's still 'stable beta release') and DV9K is considered "experimental", even more experimental in alien (like Windows) environment. Still, for Windows' standards of programming quality it's well above "normal" or even "good".

BTW: speaking of experimental - have anyone tried one of these "economic" DX9 compilers? Like that one popular some time ago among Elder Scrolls players on crappy hardware? It was basically a cut compiler with most of the advanced shading/fog/lightning etc. capabilities disabled or simplified (of which use Bethesda seriously sucks to this day, even in much easier to maintain DX12 code).


D9VK is actually developed on Windows as a native Windows DLL but it is true a lot of the user base is on Linux.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#44 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Do you have a userstartup.cheat file? Could you upload that as-is? I still don't have an idea but I would like to collect that info.


Also attached now!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar userStartup.rar (442 Bytes, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 2:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedcrossx
Also attached now!


Oh! I was asking @child_of_air but it's interesting to see yours too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 2:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4rts4
I do have like 450 warnings in d3d9 log file about:
"warn: D3D9DeviceEx::QueryInterface: Unknown interface query
warn: 580ca87e-1d3c-4d54-991d-b7d3e3c298ce"


Good news! The next release of D9VK addresses this issue.

https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9...d926549ff11765c

Speaking of that, I've switched the guide over to using tagged and more formal releases uploaded on GitHub instead of the latest build off of master from the developer's build machine.
Instructor
#47 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Do you have a userstartup.cheat file? Could you upload that as-is? I still don't have an idea but I would like to collect that info.


I actually figured out the issue. I edited the userstartup that is included with the Pineapple mod I have, to just switch it on and off. Then I put it into my downloads folder instead of a subfolder. Now it works.
Test Subject
#48 Old 28th Sep 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
Good news! The next release of D9VK addresses this issue.

https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9...d926549ff11765c

Speaking of that, I've switched the guide over to using tagged and more formal releases uploaded on GitHub instead of the latest build off of master from the developer's build machine.


Oh, that's nice even though it's not critical issue I'll try to play some more with newer version of D9VK when I have some time, but from what I've experienced so far, the game seems to run better with D9VK than before.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 29th Sep 2019 at 6:40 PM Last edited by crazysim : 30th Sep 2019 at 6:36 AM.
0.22 has been released and includes that fix. Also, that fix might be related to the Nvidia shadow bug. If you use D9VK, the shadow fix mod is no longer needed to get rid of the black rectangle shadows. In fact, I had to remove the mod to restore the rendering to black shadows. Additionally, more of the anti-performance behaviors of The Sims 2's renderer are now mitigated.

https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases/tag/0.22
Test Subject
#50 Old 4th Oct 2019 at 6:19 PM Last edited by oOLampiOo : 4th Oct 2019 at 6:41 PM.
Hi there,
first of all, thank you for the turtorial and thanks to Joshua Ashton for creating d9vk in the first place.
I too have a GTX 1070 and had problems with the flashing pink. After adding the d9vk files (along with all the other fixes such as graphic rules, 4GB patch,...), the empty and unmoded game loaded fine without pink flashing. A modern, low CC game loaded fine too. However, my quite large medieval game with about 6 GB of CC still shows some pink flashing. Sometimes I can load the neighborhood without pink flashing, but then I enter a lot and there is pink flashing - or there is none and I enter another lot where the flashing shows up again. The neighborhood is quite large and has 167 lots, as well as 805 character files. without d9vk, most of the time it was not loading at all, but just crashed or I could only load it with useshaders off, but even then there was some pink flashing.
So I'd say, the current state is an improvement and about the same as my old laptop. However I feel a bit sad, because my new laptop has 8GB of graphic memory and would love for Sims 2 to actually use that much - or at least more than 2 GB.
edit to say that 1792 MB in my graphic memory file does seem to be the sweet spot for me atm - still got pink flashing, but less than with other forced graphic memory entries.
Page 2 of 6
Back to top