Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 7:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Using more than 4GB of RAM?
Hi, everyone! So, I have Intel Core i5-7400 as my processor and NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti as my graphic card. I also have 8GB of RAM. Is it possible for me to use more than 4GB of RAM? For example, can I set the game to use 5, 6 or 7 GB instead? Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 9:00 AM
The RAM Disk approach is always interesting for certain game functions, but without that the other answer is no. There is no way to get a 32-bit only application like TS3, meaning the executable itself, to use more than 4 GB of RAM. It's actual upper limit is ~3.7 GB due to some overhead; most players' games enter the danger zone of crashes or Error 12s upon trying to save somewhere around 3.5 GB.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=548125

I get the "Local volumes are required to complete the operation" error while in Command Prompt. And yes, I ran it as an administrator.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
that usually means either the source or destination is missing, either typed the name wrong or something is not set up right.

how far did you get? did you set up the ramdisk already? Also, which part of the command prompt are you doing? the file or folder?

Hi, thank you for replying. I already managed to create a 20 GB ramdisk with ImDisk (I have Windows 10 and the recommended ramdisk software doesn't work for me) where I moved the content from Thumbnails, but not the folder. Then, I deleted the Thumbnails folder from Documents and then I tried doing the mklink /J "C:\Users\You\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails\" "G:\" command, replacing You with my PC user name and the ramdisk already had the letter G so nothing to change there.
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Feb 2020 at 6:03 PM
I followed your RAMdisk directions in my Win10 setup and it worked for me.