Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 312 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 9:39 PM
Default CAW modification or Edit world mod that allows lots and the road to intersect?
Would it be possible for modders to create said modification? This would allow cars to finally pull of the driveway (through not in reverse but from front) instead of teleporting? I had this idea of how it could be done about while laying on bed yesterday, but since I'm no modder I dunno so I ask.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Would it be possible for modders to create said modification? This would allow cars to finally pull of the driveway (through not in reverse but from front) instead of teleporting? I had this idea of how it could be done about while laying on bed yesterday, but since I'm no modder I dunno so I ask.
*initially* it's actually possible in a sense of, you expand the Jazz script code for cars  (Jazz scripts being basically a script to insert your own animations). And then having it still fade but getting onto the road.

Really what makes it plop onto the road, is really because roads seem to have some kind of 'slot' going on. Which then calculates the routing and checks where it needs to go, which actually makes it a bit tougher to make such mod, really. It sounds possible though! 

TL;DR: Yep! It just needs some animation edits and possible additional code in order to make it work, but it sounds doable! 
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 11:14 PM
That's cool Though there may aesthetic issue since road comes with two lines instead of one, so I don't know how modders would go about fixing that. What about introducing a new road type that is like one-way lane if not editing somehow within the game.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 1:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Would it be possible for modders to create said modification? This would allow cars to finally pull of the driveway (through not in reverse but from front) instead of teleporting? I had this idea of how it could be done about while laying on bed yesterday, but since I'm no modder I dunno so I ask.


Technically you can already intersect roads with lots- it's useful for making things like gatehouses that still require sims to route through them.

However, lot routing supersedes world routing, so unfortunately it's not guaranteed where your sims will generate a vehicle.

Instead, like what @lyralei mentioned, I could instead see it as maybe a custom animated interaction with the car (like the ones with the fixer-upper car), which then ends with your car seamlessly moved onto the road.

I don't know if custom roads are possible, I'm not sure how much of it is hard-coded into the game.

@lyralei On a side note- is the side of the road sims drive on also hard-coded?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 2:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Technically you can already intersect roads with lots- it's useful for making things like gatehouses that still require sims to route through them.


Whoa whoa whoa....slam the dang brakes.... say what now??
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 3:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashley1784
Whoa whoa whoa....slam the dang brakes.... say what now??


I believe that cars and sims can pass through lots if a continuous road goes through it. If your sim isn't on a lot or headed to that specific lot, world routing takes precedent.

Technically not recommended, but it's been used a few times before.

I vaguely recall that pathways were placed under the gatehouses in Praaven to allow sims to route through them.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 8:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
I believe that cars and sims can pass through lots if a continuous road goes through it. If your sim isn't on a lot or headed to that specific lot, world routing takes precedent.

Technically not recommended, but it's been used a few times before.

I vaguely recall that pathways were placed under the gatehouses in Praaven to allow sims to route through them.

There is actually an instance of this in the custom world Alpine County. Leading into the gated community there’s a lot that acts as guard shack and the road underneath it passes through the celebrity gate from Late Night.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#8 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 1:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunn
There is actually an instance of this in the custom world Alpine County. Leading into the gated community there’s a lot that acts as guard shack and the road underneath it passes through the celebrity gate from Late Night.
I somehow happened to have this with sunset valley, where my sims would drive into the cemetery (We're talking like, Literally driving through it till it reached the end of the lot :p) But I wonder if that's actually just the way how the game sometimes miscalculates how to get the route for location A to B. 

Could be completely wrong here though! But would having it go through lots cause for more lagging, due to routing issues?  I'm not a world builder so no idea :p but I do know nraas ErrorTrap tackles that in their mod.
Back to top