Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 1:34 PM
Default Wants & Want Trees: Modding "Buy [object]" Wants
Hi,

I have recently started fiddling with the WantTrees in my game, with the chief purpose of disabling certain Wants that have been popping up too often for my liking. I have found great handholds in the methods outlined by midgethetree and SnorkackSearcher, and I'd like to think I've done well enough in not liquifying my game so far. But there is one thing I can't quite get to and that is the object-related wants along the lines of "Buy [Thing]".

There are lots of "alphaBuyObject_xxxxxxxx" wants spread across the WantTrees, set apart by the alphanumeric suffix that I presume is the object identifier. I'm looking for a way to figure out which alphnum leads to which object so that I know which wants to nuke. I have some experience with programming, but I've never felt compelled to dig around my Sims game until now, so its inner workings are still bit of a mystery to me.

(If it's of any consequence, the Wants I'm interested in are the "Buy a Bass/Guitar/Drum Kit" and the "Buy a bird cage/womrat cage/toy dog pen", though I'd be forever grateful for a systematic way of sussing out which alphnums belong to which objects.)

Thank you in advance!

Do you ever hear a song so beautiful you want to financially support the artist, but you can't because the artist is a common wood pigeon?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 8:37 AM Last edited by DLPalindrome : 16th Jan 2021 at 9:47 AM. Reason: Found it
I'm also very interested in this. The buy instruments want occurrence drives me up the wall.

I see a reference to "Want Related Mods" from this link here and the description claims it fixes buy instrument wants. It's just a random link to a media file though and I couldn't see the actual mod anywhere, so I'm not sure if it's the real deal - not brave enough to test that one!

Maybe you'll have more luck finding it.

Edit: Ohh. Apparently simbiology shut down recently. That's sad! And also probably why the mod was hard to find. I found Simbology's mods Shared on SFS - Looks like you should check out Want Hacks by twojeffs (Note: that link is for the AL version) - there's some documentation in the zip file. Looks like it just disables the wants rather than tunes them, though.
Instructor
#3 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scathed
There are lots of "alphaBuyObject_xxxxxxxx" wants spread across the WantTrees, set apart by the alphanumeric suffix that I presume is the object identifier. I'm looking for a way to figure out which alphnum leads to which object so that I know which wants to nuke.

Perhaps the 8-character alphanumeric identifier is the object's GUID or a Group of related objects? You should be able to check this in SimPE's Object Workshop by entering them in the "search by GUID" or "search by Group ID" lines under the advanced section. If so, that would identify the object the Sim is wanting to buy.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 1:44 PM
From WantTrees.package
<!--Want name is alphaBuyObject_2db90e51.xml-->
- a comment, the value is not always correct

<AnyUint32 key="wantId" type="0xeb61e4f7">0x2db90e51</AnyUint32>
- The want id of the want, usually matches the instance value of the want

<AnyUint32 key="objectField" type="0xeb61e4f7">10028</AnyUint32>
- For this particular want we need this later

From Wants.package (Instance 0x2DB90E51)
Want Id 2db90e51
node text = Buy a $category
- Not very helpful the category is the object field above (10028)

From WantTuning.package
<category id="10028" name="food Processor"