Replies: 11 (Who?), Viewed: 326 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 11:31 AM
Default Dresser Drawer Problem
I have recently learned how to create more groups to an item; however I am having a problem separating the drawer from the frame of the dresser. Despite my best efforts when I do the outline, it seems to also pick up 'shards' of the frame.
Perhaps these pics will show what I mean:-

I have searched for tutorials but I have been unable to find any similar issues with a dresser.
I should advise I am using a Sims3 dresser mesh, if that should make any difference.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 3:08 PM
I'm guessing this is a problem with which pieces are included in the drawer animation. Probably just some stray faces. They can be a bit difficult to grab if you're using Milkshape.

Can you upload the files?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 9:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
I'm guessing this is a problem with which pieces are included in the drawer animation. Probably just some stray faces. They can be a bit difficult to grab if you're using Milkshape.

Can you upload the files?

Hello @simmer22
Thank you for your reply.
I am using Milkshape - would you recommend another program?
I wondered if there was some way to remove the extra bits that are not part of the drawer when I am separating them into groups?
Or do I just need to practice more?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 10:13 PM
Usually it's just a matter of selecting the right bits and pieces of the mesh. Milkshape isn't the easiest tool for meshing, but it's okay for simple edits.

For selecting there's "Vertex" and "Face". There's also the tickbox "By Vertex". If something is difficult to grab, you can use "Hide selection" (Ctrl+H) in the Edit menu, along with hiding groups, to hide parts in the background. I do that a lot if there's difficult areas. If you have vertices selected, "hide selection" makes the vertices unselectable but still shows the mesh - useful if you want to model something over the top of something else.

There's also the "Ignore backfaces" button - can be useful, but make sure you keep track of when you've left it on and off, because if it's on you don't see the backside of the model, and if it's off you may select more than you want.

The stray face is most likely easily fixed by finding it (does look like there could be four, one on each side around the drawer), detaching them from the animated group, attaching them to the non-animated group (making sure the bone assignments are proper), and exporting the file again.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 6:25 AM
I really don't know how to use MilkShape, but if you were willing to learn Blender, you can switch between 'choose by vertex, edge, or face' until you can isolate those errant parts that are trying to cling to the drawer and reassign them back to the main mesh for dresser.

edit: I had a long explanation here, and after re-reading it, it made absolutely no sense. I agree with simmer22 - if you upload just your mesh file (the .obj or extracted gmdc, we might be able to run it through blender or milkshape to see where the weird part can be added back to the main mesh. I have a suspicion that the vertex on that top left corner of the drawer is shared with the main drawer mesh. It probably was once upon a time two separate vertices in the same spot that somehow melded into a single vertex.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 8:55 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 17th Feb 2021 at 9:48 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4RE
I really don't know how to use MilkShape, but if you were willing to learn Blender, you can switch between 'choose by vertex, edge, or face' until you can isolate those errant parts that are trying to cling to the drawer and reassign them back to the main mesh for dresser.

edit: I had a long explanation here, and after re-reading it, it made absolutely no sense. I agree with simmer22 - if you upload just your mesh file (the .obj or extracted gmdc, we might be able to run it through blender or milkshape to see where the weird part can be added back to the main mesh. I have a suspicion that the vertex on that top left corner of the drawer is shared with the main drawer mesh. It probably was once upon a time two separate vertices in the same spot that somehow melded into a single vertex.

Thank you @simmer22 and @d4RE
I have tried to make the drawer a few more times and I did manage to outline the drawer shape without some of the faces around it - so I think the answer is practice!
Of my best effort so far, I have now encountered another problem with the sides panels of the drawer not displaying depending on whether I chose a left or a right camera view: -

Is the drawer location slightly out?
Edit: Just noticed that the camera top view is okay?

Thank you in advance for any further help.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 2:16 PM
Can you upload your Milkshape file? Maybe I can help show you a few tricks for how to select the difficult areas. It's just easier to show on the actual mesh you're having problems with.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 3:07 PM
Quote:
Can you upload your Milkshape file? Maybe I can help show you a few tricks for how to select the difficult areas. It's just easier to show on the actual mesh you're having problems with.

I did try to attach the GMD and also .ms3d files for this dresser but the file type is not accepted.
I am very receptive to any tricks to make it easier!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 3:38 PM
Try packing them as a zip file.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 5:25 PM
Quote:
Try packing them as a zip file.

I packaged them as zip files but it does not recognize the package, so doesn't let you upload them.
I think it only permits specific packages like DBPF or Sims2 packs for lots?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 8:33 PM
I find the easiest way to separate meshes in Milkshape, is to select using Face with the box for By Vertex selected, then hide the selected mesh parts (ctrl+h).  I continue to to do this until left with the pieces of the mesh I was, then regroup.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 7:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
I find the easiest way to separate meshes in Milkshape, is to select using Face with the box for By Vertex selected, then hide the selected mesh parts (ctrl+h).  I continue to to do this until left with the pieces of the mesh I was, then regroup.

@HugeLunatic
Thank you for this tip - I was selecting Face to outline, then regrouping. I will try this method.