Replies: 118 (Who?), Viewed: 7100 times.
Page 3 of 5
Scholar
#51 Old 5th Mar 2021 at 10:54 PM
I see. I guess to me, CC has always been integral to my The Sims experience, and if there is something I want but is not in the official game, then I search for (or more recently, convert) CC for it.

I guess... I just don't see the lack of the classic diner aesthetic as too bothersome. There are plenty of aesthetics that EA creates in one game and then they are absent in the next game. Now, as you stated, it has been an aesthetic in every The Sims game, but, still, I am not too bothered by finding/creating CC for it. At least the restaurants are there. We waited half an eternity for restaurants in The Sims 3.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Inventor
#52 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy
We waited half an eternity for restaurants in The Sims 3.

I suppose you mean non-rabbit hole restaurants, because the base game came with two types of restaurants: diner and bistro. You can eat inside (you don't see the Sim), or outside (you do see the Sim eating). And then when the first EP came along (World Adventures), we were able to build fully functional resturants using the Food Cash Register (sans the lack of waiters and chef).
Scholar
#53 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus Allien
I suppose you mean non-rabbit hole restaurants, because the base game came with two types of restaurants: diner and bistro. You can eat inside (you don't see the Sim), or outside (you do see the Sim eating). And then when the first EP came along (World Adventures), we were able to build fully functional resturants using the Food Cash Register (sans the lack of waiters and chef).

Yeah, I'm not counting the rabbit hole restaurants. I never used the Food Cash Register, but that seems kinda... eh. I don't consider open restaurants to have been a thing until that bistro set was released on The Sims 3 Store, and that was really late in the game IIRC. And the feature is broken. I have always had problems with the NPC workers not showing up for their shifts, and thus the restaurant isn't functioning.

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Who knows, maybe you'll get your classic diner aesthetic from a Kit. (since restaurants are already a thing I can't see EA releasing it anywhere else. =/ And then it might be a Kit that requires a Game Pack kinda deal. but they could always just do it like TS3 Store pack mentioned last page, I guess)

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 1:24 AM
This is off topic lol but to address that last point, TS3 never had an opportunity to have a diner build because it was a base game rabbit hole, unlike what happened in TS2.

Nightlife’s limited build/buy items made some for many very interesting lot designs. The usage of modern club motifs, a retro design for a bowling alleys, and items for an Irish pub style restaurant made for a great pack for builders, and it worked with the base game very well. The items blended so many and covered a variety of themes and could be used well together. Look at the vast amount of lot types they produced with a very smart allocation of versatile build items. We don’t see that type of design anymore in the game.

Get Together tried to do that, mixing Tudor & Modern but it didn’t always work. They still try that now, with an item here and a small set of things there in a pack, but it doesn’t work as well as it didn’t in Nightlife.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#55 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 12:10 PM
Wasn't there some kind of diner made for Sims 3? I haven't played it for years but remember a download that never worked for me properly. I'm not sure if it was a store item or not but I certainly had one.
Alchemist
#56 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 12:46 PM
ani_'s revamp of the Bistro set is amazing btw and I use it in every game

what does his name even mean?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#57 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 1:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
Wasn't there some kind of diner made for Sims 3? I haven't played it for years but remember a download that never worked for me properly. I'm not sure if it was a store item or not but I certainly had one.

Yeah, the Business As Usual Bistro. EA never tried to make a restaurant because they were in the base game. For what it lacked in functioning restaurants, eateries could be made with the Buffet object in the base game, Food Register in World Adventures, or the Cafeteria Lot in Into The Future. TS3 has options but it’s not an actual RESTAURANT.

I only see the diner aesthetic returning in a pack about arcades or dating, and the only way to get food is from a food vendor.

Field Researcher
#58 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 1:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
In all seriousness, how can EA or anybody else say there is a content drought for TS4 with now 40 packs if kits are included?  People keep talking about things like tossing the money to cc creators on Patreon and all that which is fine for PC users, but console players can't do that.  I do try to keep them involved in the conversation whenever possible as everybody seems to forget that they exist.

If 40 packs is being defined as a content drought, it is going to be really interesting what defines a non-content drought.  It's gonna be really expensive....

That’s just a buzzword they throw around to ignore the actual problem with their packs. After a week or two people are over it, and they have a serious wait in store for another “big” pack. So they call it a drought.

I’m gonna agree that with 40 packs they aren’t in a literal drought, but when most of every single one of those packs is junky filler it’s not surprising players write that stuff off and want something else.

I’m personally sick of hearing how console players are victims for reason A B or C that usually revolve entirely around their inability to use mods or custom content. I can’t mod Leon’s magnum with infinite ammo on my Xbox but I’m not whining about that to people who can do it on their pc.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 6th Mar 2021 at 3:21 PM. Reason: a day of typos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake_mccarty
That’s just a buzzword they throw around to ignore the actual problem with their packs. After a week or two people are over it, and they have a serious wait in store for another “big” pack. So they call it a drought.

I’m gonna agree that with 40 packs they aren’t in a literal drought, but when most of every single one of those packs is junky filler it’s not surprising players write that stuff off and want something else.

I’m personally sick of hearing how console players are victims for reason A B or C that usually revolve entirely around their inability to use mods or custom content. I can’t mod Leon’s magnum with infinite ammo on my Xbox but I’m not whining about that to people who can do it on their pc.

EA loves their buzzwords and unfortunately people love to parrot them even though there is no logic for doing so which is really annoying.  A guru said, therefore it must be. I wonder what else gurus could say and people would blindly repeat it without hesitation.  I'm not picking on the 8 and 12 year olds that do this.  I'm finger-waggin' at the people that are into their 20's and beyond pulling this crap.

People reap what they sow.  We've been discussing this whole thing about crap content being pushed out and sold, people keep buying it.  There are no victims in this equation.  EA sees people buying crap, so they keep not only making more crap, but said crap is becoming more shoddy over time.  This is contrary to all the talk a few years ago where people chanted about how if they buy stuff, packs and things in the packs would improve.  All the torches and pitchforks came out if anybody dared to point out that while such sentiments were nice, EA didn't work that way.   Here we are, reality moved into the room and people are at each others throats over it.

Console players are not victims, but I'd be pissed if I bought stuff for a game that didn't work and didn't have the ability to at least somewhat fix it with mods.  They too are guilty of enabling EA so there is a line where I will / won't stick up for console players.  I'm not fickle, nor do I make exceptions.  I just read a Twitter rant somewhere yesterday that claimed the person hasn't been able to play their game in a year.  If that's the case, it is time to move on to something else and leave TS4 in the rear view mirror. I didn't say this of course as I don't have a Twitter account ( nor do I want one) but there is no point in giving EA more chances if that's the case.

It goes without saying that I wouldn't give EA a year to make good on their promises; maybe a few months depending on how screwed up my game was.  If a product whether it be a game or something else is pissing me off that bad, I'm going to stop buying it. Then I'm going to move on, accept the money that was spent on said product as a dumb thing to do, then find something that does actually makes me happy. EA doesn't care about online petitions, down votes, megaphones, screeching, empty threats of refusing to buy stuff because they already know most people that say that will buy those things at some point, ect...  Sometimes people do get a win with these antics, but the ratio of wins to loses are not in the winning side of things.

This is life in the sims community....
Test Subject
#60 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 3:56 PM
So I just thought of a reason why ea thinks the community would of been okay with this: patron. Alot of cc creators have one & they use range from 1$-5$ to get access. So, I guess these kits are ea’s version of that, it's still shitty this.
Inventor
#61 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 6:24 PM
So apparently "Bust the Dust" is so broken/unbalanced even Yibs can't defend it:

I personally don't understand the logic behind "search for valuables." The LAST thing The Sims 4 needs is MORE ways to earn a lot of money without having to work an actual job. "What is the point of working in this game anymore!?" is the best thing James said and it couldn't be truer. It's already UNFATHOMABLY easy to get rich in The Sims 4, but with the "Dust the Bust" kit you pretty much have a money printing machine (except you don't face any consequences for using it). They even made it so the Dust Bunnies can find extremely rare collectibles from "Jungle Adventure." I think they didn't test how well this pack worked with all DLCs installed.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#62 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 6:53 PM
The dust bunnies should be giving 20 simoleons at best. Some things don’t need to be play tested - at some point, it’s common sense. James’ Sims was making a ton of cash while sleeping.

And the house never staying clean it’s just bad design.

Lab Assistant
#63 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 7:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anya7890
So I just thought of a reason why ea thinks the community would of been okay with this: patron. Alot of cc creators have one & they use range from 1$-5$ to get access. So, I guess these kits are ea’s version of that, it's still shitty this.

Do you honestly think EA is trying to go into competition with the people who sell their CC on patreon??

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon
Mad Poster
#64 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 8:01 PM
All this talk / reading about dust is making my eyes itch; I'm actually allergic to dust.  I digress.

Working in TS4 has never been a thing. TS4 sims can become rich just from painting and can max out their skills just by talking to other sims.  TS4 is a utopia with pink trees where nothing bad happens. There are no consequences for anything sans having a angry dust bunny combust if Bust the Dust kit is purchased, ect...  All of this is ironic coming from a company whose slogan used to be "Challenge everything." 
Mad Poster
#65 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 8:42 PM
Quote:
can max out their skills just by talking to other sims. 

How does that work? I am playing with the base game, and would like to try it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 9:01 PM
Quote:
I just read a Twitter rant somewhere yesterday that claimed the person hasn't been able to play their game in a year.  If that's the case, it is time to move on to something else and leave TS4 in the rear view mirror. I didn't say this of course as I don't have a Twitter account ( nor do I want one) but there is no point in giving EA more chances if that's the case.

I feel like that ppl that are unhappy with TS4 and wish could play TS3 or TS2 but can't cause of technical limitations on their behalf, but still continue playing with the game on unhappy.... I don't wanna "it's kinda their fault", since I really do understand them (like hell, i just given up on installing a program for school cause whatever I did I can't get it to work with the provided fixed instructions), but people in the community (which again, isn't a criticism) don't put dedication in making their machine compatible. Like the thing with TS2 being annoying and hassle to install on windows 10, but I think that's part of the reason players still stick with that game. If you ask me, a game that you think is playable and will leave you with a great feeling is worth try setting it up, despite the time and sweat it will take. Why put up with something that for you personally doesn't justify the price you paid for or the energy you pour playing it, which left you unsatisfied? That's my two cents...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
How does that work? I am playing with the base game, and would like to try it.

Your sim or sims won't max out their skills with one conversation, but all they need to do to get there is talk a lot.  Send your sim out to places or have sims from the neighborhood come visit and have them talk. Example: If your sim starts talking with a sim that has decent cooking skills and they talk about cooking, your sim will gain cooking skills.  Sims in TS3 can learn recipes from watching TV or reading them on the computer ( I have a mod that allows this) but they don't actually gain the skill until they put in the time cooking unless of course a player cheats.

Quote:
Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

I feel like that ppl that are unhappy with TS4 and wish could play TS3 or TS2 but can't cause of technical limitations on their behalf, but still continue playing with the game on unhappy.... I don't wanna "it's kinda their fault", since I really do understand them (like hell, i just given up on installing a program for school cause whatever I did I can't get it to work with the provided fixed instructions), but people in the community (which again, isn't a criticism) don't put dedication in making their machine compatible. Like the thing with TS2 being annoying and hassle to install on windows 10, but I think that's part of the reason players still stick with that game. If you ask me, a game that you think is playable and will leave you with a great feeling is worth try setting it up, despite the time and sweat it will take. Why put up with something that for you personally doesn't justify the price you paid for or the energy you pour playing it, which left you unsatisfied? That's my two cents...

I don't pretend to know or understand why people put up with a game they don't like. All I know is I wouldn't do it. There is more to life than sims even during a pandemic.
Test Subject
#68 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
Do you honestly think EA is trying to go into competition with the people who sell their CC on patreon??

I’m in the middle on that one, but I believe ea is now paying more attention to cc creators (namely, because it's finally hitting them that the current development team is full of incompetence with such great winners such as a guru talking about how it takes 12 people to work on an object) . not with just the quality of the stuff that they produce, but to the community around them & how they react. When Ea sees that lots of cc creators have patrons & how the community isn't bitching about it, it's quite easy to see why they think they can do the same.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 12:44 PM Last edited by dikosay : 7th Mar 2021 at 12:55 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anya7890
I’m in the middle on that one, but I believe ea is now paying more attention to cc creators (namely, because it's finally hitting them that the current development team is full of incompetence with such great winners such as a guru talking about how it takes 12 people to work on an object) . not with just the quality of the stuff that they produce, but to the community around them & how they react. When Ea sees that lots of cc creators have patrons & how the community isn't bitching about it, it's quite easy to see why they think they can do the same.

Totally agree. It's funny how some of Maxis stuff isn't as good as some of the best CC out there worthy of paying for (whether thru Patreon or some other way). But not all CC is worth paying for, and I'm one of those types who try to avoid Patreon like the plague (Covid 19 notwithstanding). Patreon has twice cancelled my account because I signed up just to get one thing and never came back again!

But people have been stashing their stuff behind paywalls for years. I know EA can be stupid, but I'm sure they've noticed this some time ago. I think they would've jump on that bandwagon many years ago if they thought it was such a lucrative idea. No, I don't think they're simply just getting around to it now (just think of all the money they've lost). No, this is something else entirely. As I said in another post, I believe they need to know if single purchase stuff packs in the form of "kits" - or even just purchasing single items, like most Patreon selling creators have their stuff - will work for them in preparation for the upcoming Sims 5.

As the great Stan Lee use to say: "Nuff Said"

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon
Mad Poster
#70 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 1:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
Totally agree. It's funny how some of Maxis stuff isn't as good as some of the best CC out there worthy of paying for (whether thru Patreon or some other way). But not all CC is worth paying for, and I'm one of those types who try to avoid Patreon like the plague (Covid 19 notwithstanding). Patreon has twice cancelled my account because I signed up just to get one thing and never came back again!

But people have been stashing their stuff behind paywalls for years. I know EA can be stupid, but I'm sure they've noticed this some time ago. I think they would've jump on that bandwagon many years ago if they thought it was such a lucrative idea. No, I don't think they're simply just getting around to it now (just think of all the money they've lost). No, this is something else entirely. As I said in another post, I believe they need to know if single purchase stuff packs in the form of "kits" - or even just purchasing single items, like most Patreon selling creators do - will work for them in preparation for the upcoming Sims 5.

As the great Stan Lee use to say: "Nuff Said"

I don't do Patreon either. I've never had a account with them, don't want one. That being said, once upon a time EA was in bed cc creators; they were best of buds with the people over at The Sims Resource.  That relationship ended a number of years ago.

EA puts up with people putting things behind paywalls as it is yet another form of free advertising for the game.  If they didn't get anything out of it, they would and have the legal power to put a end to it. 
Mad Poster
#71 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:06 PM
Quote:
Sims will autonomously vacuum on community lots if it’s in their inventory
Smarter sims, y'all.  EA sez so...

Quote:
Not to mention console players can’t even disable it, has to be uninstalled so you’re just wasting your money.
Are there any console in the house? If so, can you please confirm or debunk this?

https://twitter.com/spellcastersim/...218956432093190
One Minute Ninja'd
#72 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:44 PM
So it's for real. They want me to pay $5 for dust bunnies. What a quandary, do I pay $5 for dust or $5 for a triple soy latte with 2 shots of espresso and 1pump of butterscotch.?

No need to try to help me make this burdensome decision. I'm having my coffee right now.
Test Subject
#73 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:15 PM
Quote:
Sims in TS3 can learn recipes from watching TV or reading them.

I uninstalled TS4 ages ago but one thing that really irked me was that sims instantly learned the recipe of a food stall dish from eating it once. I thought the recipe system in TS3 was neat. Dunking on TS4 is like beating a dead horse but I think it's fun to check from time to time what kind of insane new things they want people to pay for.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistence
Dunking on TS4 is like beating a dead horse but I think it's fun to check from time to time what kind of insane new things they want people to pay for.

There is more to beating the dead horse than meets the eye. If that were the case, the likely hood of kits becoming a thing may not exist as there would be endless streams of DLC for DLC post Cats and Dogs and My First Pet. Beating the dead horse put a end to that even if it is temporarily. Then there is Journey to Batuu and the curious thing that happened with that.  EA lost their exclusivity contract with Disney; might be a coincidence, maybe not.

EA can dish it, they can take it.
Test Subject
#75 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:41 PM
Quote:
There is more to beating the dead horse than meets the eye. If that were the case, the likely hood of kits becoming a thing may not exist as there would be endless streams of DLC for DLC post Cats and Dogs and My First Pet. Beating the dead horse put a end to that even if it is temporarily. Then there is Journey to Batuu and the curious thing that happened with that.  EA lost their exclusivity contract with Disney; might be a coincidence, maybe not.

EA can dish it, they can take it.

Of course, I just meant that what I said was nothing new. I could never play it more than half an hour before getting bored and never missed it after uninstalling, so I think it's pretty obvious where I stand hehe.
Page 3 of 5