Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 1553 times.
Page 1 of 2
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2021 at 9:38 PM
Default Sims 3 mass purchase worth it or no?
Hey all!!  I 'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead a purchase the Sims 3 stuff off Origin since they are selling it again there and have it all half off?  I currently only play Sims 4.  I played Sims 2 years ago but I no longer have access to my Sims 2 CDs.  So, I was just wanting to see if I should splurge on the Sims 3 or not worry about it.  Any opinions are welcome!   Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 12:02 AM
Uh... is this part of the moderator trainee program? This post goes in general forum.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:13 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 20th Mar 2021 at 7:32 PM.
To the OP - Yes, why not?
Mad Poster
DELETED POST
19th Mar 2021 at 5:49 AM Last edited by nitromon : 19th Mar 2021 at 6:09 AM.
This message has been deleted by Tashiketh. Reason: Unhelpful
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 9:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Uh... is this part of the moderator trainee program? This post goes in general forum.
That was very uncalled for, to be honest... trainees are members too, just moderating downloads. So the forums aren't a place they moderate. Besides, mistakes happen! You probably posted something in the wrong forum before, so no need to be like that. 

Now you are right that it is in the wrong place, so I'll be moving the thread  
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
That was very uncalled for, to be honest... trainees are members too, just moderating downloads.

i was just kidding, why people take me so serious. i just thought it was funny and ironic that's all. bad joke, my bad.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Theorist
#6 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 12:06 PM
How long are they on sale? Get the base game and if you like then get more. I love 3.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 12:45 PM
Yes it is!

That being said, if you decide to make the purchase, spend some time reading if you've never played TS3 before.  TS3 is far from perfect, but there are many things you can do to make the game work the way you want it to versus having EA force you into playing the way they want you to.   Mods like NRAAS Story Progression, Error Trap, Register, Retuner, ect.... are all good things to help with fine tuning how you play.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#8 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 1:09 PM
In my opinion, absolutely. I have tried to play Sims 4 but everytime I came back to Sims 3, I felt like I could breathe again and I had the freedom to do so much more, to go to so many places with the Nraas Traveller. Many like Sims4 but I can't - and don't want to - get past Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:03 PM
Quote:
i was just kidding, why people take me so serious. i just thought it was funny and ironic that's all. bad joke, my bad.

Because now that we have established that you, AGuyCalledPi, and I are all the same person (this will make no sense to those who missed that thread before it got deleted), you are making "the rest of us" look bad.

I don't think there will be very many members who frequently post on this board who will say TS3 is not worth it at just about any price, because after all why would we hang out on a forum board devoted to a game that we aren't crazy about? But I have to agree that it might make sense to try out at least the base game and a couple of EPs before making the plunge into the entire set unless you are already certain you are going to love it as much as the rest of us do.
Theorist
#10 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
I don't think there will be very many members who frequently post on this board who will say TS3 is not worth it at just about any price, because after all why would we hang out on a forum board devoted to a game that we aren't crazy about?

Totally true for this section of this site, but total opposite of 4.

I love 3. Always have and always will. Liked 1 and 2 when played. Never went back. LOVE 3. 4 IMO is OK in small doses. I get bored very fast. I never get bored with 3.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:27 PM
Okay, but what if this Origin sale is foreshadowing that it will be on sale on Steam from next week or so - for less than -50%? As Steam sales are very likely publisher company-policy, not Steam-policy.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykkyd
Hey all!!  I 'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead a purchase the Sims 3 stuff off Origin since they are selling it again there and have it all half off?  I currently only play Sims 4.  I played Sims 2 years ago but I no longer have access to my Sims 2 CDs.  So, I was just wanting to see if I should splurge on the Sims 3 or not worry about it.  Any opinions are welcome!   Thanks!!!

IMO, the CD copies are far safer, no guess what sort of stuff they'll pull on Origin- there was a update last year that apparently stopped the game from reading CC properly for some people- hoping that's been fixed!

That being said, if you don't have access to the CD options, Origin is ok.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:48 PM
 Thanks everyone for the helpful info!  
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
Because now that we have established that you, AGuyCalledPi, and I are all the same person (this will make no sense to those who missed that thread before it got deleted), you are making "the rest of us" look bad.

You never did answer the question whether you are Pepulan, because I want to ask you what happened to the TS3 64-bit scaffolding project. Meanwhile, I just realized lately that the toddler mods are made by thesweettoddler, I got her confused with sweetdevil who just recently made a mod on space rocks. But now I'm wondering whether thesweettoddler and thesweetsimmer are the same person or two different modders.

---------

Quote:
Sims 3 mass purchase worth it or no?

Now addressing the OP's post, I was just kidding about the trainee thing, it was funny. Sorry if some people got offended, I gotta keep remembering this new woke climate. However, I'm also wondering why the post? Again, I'm a curious guy and I like solving puzzles. This is a puzzle for me. Why? Because an avid Sims 4 player comes on Sims 3 forum and asked the question "Is Sims 3 worth it?" It is like... rhetorical, right? Of course people going to say it is worth it, not just because this is a TS3 forum and a lot of TS3 fan, but people who don't enjoy TS3 wouldn't be here.

Perhaps the OP just wanted to introduce themselves to the TS3 forum, then welcome! I think this forum is nice place, I mean it is the longest forum I've ever frequent, most forums I leave after a few years because I get bored. But people here, the regulars, are like family now. Perhaps I'm a bit too comfortable with them that's why I joke with them. But I do hope the OP gets into TS3 and find out what many of us have been enjoying this past decade in this wonderful digital simulation world.

But of course the first initial impression is, and I think many here thought about it, is whether this would be just another one of those "TS4 vs TS3" forums, where it divulge down to a nasty exchange of attacks and mockery. We've seen many of those come and go since TS4 came out, random TS4 members coming in here under the pretense of knowing what TS3 is about only to bash TS3, right? Some of those threads were eventually banned and locked.

Well, giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the OP just wanted assurance because they want to try TS3, in which case she came to the right place and many TS3 fans have assured her "hell yeah, it is worth it."

However, I think it would be more helpful to give the OP technical answers on "what to expect" from a TS4 transition to TS3 and let them decide whether it is worth it for them.

Quote:
I currently only play Sims 4. I played Sims 2 years ago but I no longer have access to my Sims 2 CDs. So, I was just wanting to see if I should splurge on the Sims 3 or not worry about it.

So my answer to @Wykkyd - It is worth it if you are willing to put in the effort to make it worth it. TS3 is vastly different than both TS2 and TS4. It is an open world simulator and require heavy resources to run and also constant maintenance of your save games and your world to keep it error free and running clean and efficient.

TS2 and TS4 are both "closed world" dollhouse games and so they run smooth because there are less resources. TS3 will NEVER run as smooth as TS4 because of the game dynamics, you are running a full world, not just 1 lot, a world that consists of average... 50-75 lots, average of 150 residents, up to 300-400 sims total including service NPCs all "at the same time." There is no loading screen transition other than entering CAS.

These are things you must expect going into it, if you are going into it with the mentality of TS4, you are going to be disappointed with the performance. However, with the right expectation, then you will realize TS3 offers infinitively MORE than TS4 ever can because of the game engine. And as such, it requires a lot of knowledge of how the game works in order to keep it clean, functioning, and running properly. You will undoubtedly be in this forum a lot, asking questions and learning about the game functions and the technical aspects.

Is it worth it? Everyone in here are here because we all do this and we all enjoy it and we all think it is worth it. Think of TS3 itself as a tamagachi, it requires time and attention, think of it as a machine like car, where you have to maintain it and keep it running smooth. This is why many TS3 members believe TS4 is a "game" while TS3 is far more, but one of the only true digital aquarium.

Good luck!

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 12:42 AM
Quote:
TS2 and TS4 are both "closed world" dollhouse games and so they run smooth because there are less resources. TS3 will NEVER run as smooth as TS4 because of the game dynamics, you are running a full world, not just 1 lot, a world that consists of average... 50-75 lots, average of 150 residents, up to 300-400 sims total including service NPCs all "at the same time." There is no loading screen transition other than entering CAS.

TBH, if you find yourself constrained by your computer, you can always choose a smaller (custom) world and crank down the settings - thankfully TS3 has options that allow you to do that.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 4:24 AM
Quote:
You never did answer the question whether you are Pepulan...

You are 100% correct, sir (or madam). I most certainly did not answer that question.

Truth be told, there are only about 12 unique members around here and I'm not sure about 9 of them. The rest are figments of our imagination, much like the rest of the internet is. All will be clear when our true great leader SIMAnon reveals themselves. Should be any day now.

But in the meantime, TS3 is still a great game.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 8:37 AM
I have no intentions on making this post into a boxing match between TS3 vs TS4.  I sincerely wanted opinions on buying TS3 and all the packs at once while they are on sale and since it costs a pretty shiny penny (or 20000 of them  ).  I appreciate your serious reply @nitromon .  Those things were what I was looking for.  As for my PC, I should be fine there.  I play very few games because I can not find things I like to play.  I enjoyed TS2, and I enjoy TS4, so I was considering trying TS3 as well.  

While you have mentioned it, let me take the opportunity to say Hey Everyone!!  I'm Wykkyd     Glad to meet you all!
Alchemist
#18 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 12:14 PM
Any specific EP's hasn't been mentioned but I was thing of which ones I would want if I was only now new to this game and wanted to get a good first taste without the load of all EP's. Of course, this is just really matter of personal taste but I would choose Seasons (weather), World Adventures (Egypt) and Island Paradise (diving, mermaids) for sure.
Theorist
#19 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 5:25 PM
Quote:
... I'm also wondering why the post? Again, I'm a curious guy and I like solving puzzles. This is a puzzle for me. Why? Because an avid Sims 4 player comes on Sims 3 forum and asked the question "Is Sims 3 worth it?" It is like... rhetorical, right? Of course people going to say it is worth it, not just because this is a TS3 forum and a lot of TS3 fan, but people who don't enjoy TS3 wouldn't be here.
Is it worth it? Everyone in here are here because we all do this and we all enjoy it and we all think it is worth it.

I am here as I love 3 and say get it. If this question was asked in the 4 section though, should I get 4, sadly your logic would be totally MIA and the rants would begin, including even some people who do not even own the game.
Scholar
#20 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:06 PM
As to whether to jump in and get all the packs at once, that would depend on your entertainment budget & your computer's capabilities & what kind of game you want to play. If you're in a very easy situation, you might want to go for the whole lot of them, but not install them all at once (or do, if you're a daredevil!). Otherwise, maybe get 2-4 packs that sound like they work together with your idea of how you want to play. Since you have played both 2 and 4, you can apply your experiences there to your plans in 3. Be aware that some features are combined differently in 3! For example, aliens, which are in University in 2, are in Seasons in 3: while Plantsims, which are in Seasons in 2, are in University in 3.

In any case, I find it much more playable with the Nraas suite of mods.
Scholar
#21 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:20 PM
Have you played Sims 4 with Open world mod and MC story progression mod? Sims 3 is basically that with Create a Style mixed in and a lot of other smaller details. But those are the main differences.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon

Follow me on
Twitter
Instagram
Field Researcher
#22 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:28 PM
Sims 3 always worths to play I love it, I miss a lot of stuffs from sims 2 and sims 4 when I am in, but it definitively worths the buy.
Do not listen to the haters they are legions in the community just because they are lazy to fix the crashes and their games. They everytime pushes the sims 3 down especially the sims 2 and the sims 4 hard fans pffft.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingFace
Have you played Sims 4 with Open world mod and MC story progression mod? Sims 3 is basically that with Create a Style mixed in and a lot of other smaller details. But those are the main differences.

Yeah I just looked it up, someone stole my idea! hahaha, I mentioned this way back in the "thread not to be named." It's intriguing someone finally did it. It is pretty convincingly simulating an open world. But it is more like Sims Medieval concept, it is one "gigantic" lot consisting of your necessities. I actually mentioned this kinda project before in creating one for TS3 using the largest 64x64 lot and a combination of residential and commercial and RH.

If anyone is interested in the technobabble:
Basically TS2 is the pure single lot dollhouse. TS4 decided not to expand from TS3 but TS2, using TSM concept. TSM is basically one HUGE lot for the whole world. So in TS4 you get the illusion of an open world because whatever lot you are on, whether residential or commercial, is surrounded in a larger lot usually consisting of a public area and fake shells of nearby buildings. This is why you need to load the screen even if you simply visiting a lot next to it. So it is still a 1 lot concept, except unlike Sims 2, this lot includes a public area outside the lot boundary that is reloaded each time you transition.

This mod basically "expand" the public area of the base lot to include everything you need such as other functions and community functions. So in sense, it stacks the public area with as much as possible and created public buildings. Now is this "open world?" That is up to interpretation. What it is, I can say, is basically TSM. However, you are still actually only playing 1 lot. In the commercial sense, I think it is a very close open world representation, however I don't know how it is on the residential end as the main problem with TS4 engine is that sims come on the screen through the edge of the world like in TS2 b/c it is a single lot dollhouse. They don't actually live in the world, but in your data file and are loaded and saved as they enter the one lot. And I don't know how much of their progression is active as an NPC.

But it is very interesting and I wonder what is the RAM requirement because they upgraded TS4 to 64-bit b/c people were already having RAM issues with the regular game dynamics.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 6:29 PM
Well hmm @nitromon , I do play sims 4 often and I swear this game is more open as people think of compared to ts2 that you even cannot walk your dog on the pavement in ts4 you can do this without a loading.( in ts2 that's a rabbit dog action). Of course the game is not as open as the sims 3 and we got open carreers not a lot but compared to ts2 this game is opened but limited. You can also have this precious things when you jog, when you bike, or when you are a policeman-woman.
For the ram I got 8Gb that's far enough for ts4 but not for ts3 just because it takes a lot of ram .

What I hate with the s4 sp mod is we are never aware of the progress of your sims compared to the Nrass one with ts3. I got couples, babies born, thanks to the mod but I am never aware of !!
Compared to the SP mod in ts3 I am aware on of my sims are gardening her watermelon plant or when one of my sims starts to write his biography for real ! Except for the gain skills this is fake.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 6:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucieSims
For the ram I got 8Gb that's far enough for ts4 but not for ts3 just because it takes a lot of ram .

If you're happy with TS4 than by all means play it, but TS3 only uses under 4 gigs of RAM.  It maxes out at 3.89 gigs or something like that. 
Page 1 of 2